[PS5] Rise of the Ronin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

[PS5] Rise of the Ronin

Post by coopasonic »

This came out a little over a week ago. I started it this weekend and after some initial frustration, I am enjoying it. This is by Team Ninja, the studio that made Nioh, Nioh 2 and Wo Long, all Souls-likes. This one is not a Souls-like, it's more like Ghost of Tsushima. It's an open world third person action adventure with some pretty good combat that is also pretty tough. But there are difficulty levels, so you can turn it down if it's too much. As far as open world collect em all type activities, it is pretty restrained compared to your typical ubisoft game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Re: [PS5] Rise of the Ronin

Post by GreenGoo »

*adds to list*
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Thinking about it, it really is a souls-like or maybe -lite, they just hide it a little bit. There are banners you activate as respawn locations and you build up karma that you drop when you die and have to kill whatever killed you to get it back. You don't spend karma though. You level up systematically but you get skill points from karma when you touch a banner.

On an unrelated note, lots of loot to comb through. You can deconstruct most loot for crafting materials to upgrade your gear. It has rarities through they messed up and green is better than blue. It hurts my brain, which is kind of odd.

There are different skills... not really trees, more like bamboo forests. 5 or 6 trees in each that go 4 or 5 levels deep and most take generic skill points and some take skills points specific to that tree.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Neat re: skill acquisition.

I can't remember which game it was but it had 3 or 4 different loot colour configurations and you could pick whichever one you liked best. I thought that was remarkably configurable and cool. A quality of life option that had zero impact on gameplay.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:19 pm As far as open world collect em all type activities, it is pretty restrained compared to your typical ubisoft game.
I may have spoken too soon. I enjoyed 100% the map... then it moved to another map and now I am souring on things a bit. I don't think I've really been turned off by open world activity box checking... until now. I think part of the problem is that it is all so simple and repetitive. If it was more challenging I'd find it more interesting. Note that comment is about the open world collection aspect, the combat can be a real pain in the ass. It's still much easier than Nioh/Nioh2, but it's very tough compared to like the modern Assassin Creed games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:19 pmThis one is not a Souls-like, it's more like Ghost of Tsushima.
*excitedly adds to list*
coopasonic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:50 pm I may have spoken too soon. I enjoyed 100% the map... then it moved to another map and now I am souring on things a bit. I don't think I've really been turned off by open world activity box checking... until now. I think part of the problem is that it is all so simple and repetitive. If it was more challenging I'd find it more interesting. Note that comment is about the open world collection aspect, the combat can be a real pain in the ass. It's still much easier than Nioh/Nioh2, but it's very tough compared to like the modern Assassin Creed games.
*sadly removes from list*
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:29 pm *sadly removes from list*
There is story difficulty, which I have not tried, but I assume it makes things a good bit more manageable.

Also, there does seem to be some level of choice that impacts the story.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just finished the game and spent a little more time to get the platinum trophy. I think it went on a bit longer than I would prefer, but I enjoyed it. If the story is remotely historically accurate... well... that's interesting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter