Is your sword curved? Is it not as good for stabbing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Is your sword curved? Is it not as good for stabbing?

Post by Paingod »

We all know the feeling. You're swiping up, up, down, down, left, right, left right, and suddenly you realize your sword isn't as straight as it once was. Whether your tachi is starting to feel more like a tanto or your scimitar looks more like a kukri, you may be experiencing combat anxiety. Warriors of all castes and backgrounds can be affected as they get older, and you should schedule a regular checkup with your swordsmith immediately.

I've been absent for some time and wanted to stop in to wave at y'all, maybe waggle a sabre or two in victory (of what I'm not sure).

I've been very busy with my new gig, very little time to play around online - which is where all of my OO time was before in other jobs. An hour or two to kill each day made for easy posting, and now I'm putting in 9 hour days without much time for fun. I've had a couple of promotions, now operating as a Director at work - which is fun; I've got managers who report to me now and I'm running 6 different teams (not a lot of people - just 14, but a lot of varied objectives). I tried going for the big job here back in September but got shot down and it was given to a co-worker (who was a CFO) and his people skills have left me poking around at job postings to see what else might be out there. It's like a 3-year itch or something. The pay is good, though. I'm making about 65% more than I was 3 years ago at my old job when I left.

Still married. Still having two kids. Still fairly healthy. Still an avid gamer & movie-watcher. Still suck at making models. More gray than before. Still overweight. Still trying to build a house here where I work, still owning a home in Maine where my wife lives. Always stretched thin, usually tired. Sleeping more, but maybe less well. :think:

How you doin'?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Fardaza

Re: Is your sword curved? Is it not as good for stabbing?

Post by Fardaza »

Sounds like quite the adventure you're living! Grats on the promotions.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:21 pm We all know the feeling. You're swiping up, up, down, down, left, right, left right, and suddenly you realize your sword isn't as straight as it once was. Whether your tachi is starting to feel more like a tanto or your scimitar looks more like a kukri, you may be experiencing combat anxiety. Warriors of all castes and backgrounds can be affected as they get older, and you should schedule a regular checkup with your swordsmith immediately.

I've been absent for some time and wanted to stop in to wave at y'all, maybe waggle a sabre or two in victory (of what I'm not sure).

I've been very busy with my new gig, very little time to play around online - which is where all of my OO time was before in other jobs. An hour or two to kill each day made for easy posting, and now I'm putting in 9 hour days without much time for fun. I've had a couple of promotions, now operating as a Director at work - which is fun; I've got managers who report to me now and I'm running 6 different teams (not a lot of people - just 14, but a lot of varied objectives). I tried going for the big job here back in September but got shot down and it was given to a co-worker (who was a CFO) and his people skills have left me poking around at job postings to see what else might be out there. It's like a 3-year itch or something. The pay is good, though. I'm making about 65% more than I was 3 years ago at my old job when I left.

Still married. Still having two kids. Still fairly healthy. Still an avid gamer & movie-watcher. Still suck at making models. More gray than before. Still overweight. Still trying to build a house here where I work, still owning a home in Maine where my wife lives. Always stretched thin, usually tired. Sleeping more, but maybe less well. :think:

How you doin'?
OMG OMG OMG

Where is Paingod!?

You have no idea how worried I've been about you. For 3 fucking years.

OMG!

:angry-cussingwhite:

Hooray!!!! You are not DEAD!
OMG, I sent you emails and PMs and everything.

Excellent.
Wow.

Okay, carry on.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I need a nap after reading that post.

I keep getting older and slower. But last week I sent out my biggest invoice yet, so I reckon I've still got some gas in the tank.

Welcome back.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:06 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:21 pm We all know the feeling. You're swiping up, up, down, down, left, right, left right, and suddenly you realize your sword isn't as straight as it once was. Whether your tachi is starting to feel more like a tanto or your scimitar looks more like a kukri, you may be experiencing combat anxiety. Warriors of all castes and backgrounds can be affected as they get older, and you should schedule a regular checkup with your swordsmith immediately.

How you doin'?
OMG OMG OMG

Where is Paingod!?

You have no idea how worried I've been about you. For 3 fucking years.

OMG!

:angry-cussingwhite:

Hooray!!!! You are not DEAD!
OMG, I sent you emails and PMs and everything.

Excellent.
Wow.

Okay, carry on.
Yep. Really good to hear from you.
Afraid you had gone the route of Qantaga...who disappeared 10 years ago in the middle of a WW game. :(
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have Schrodinger's Sword - simultaneously curved and straight.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:greetings-waveyellow:
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Welcome back.

From the other thread (in March 2022):
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:59 pm I think his new job and impending move were going to give him a lot less time to hang around here. Hopefully once things stabilize he'll be back.
Seems about right.
Conform or be cast out!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Welcome back
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Heya Paingod, good to hear from you. Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

I saw the thread and OP and thought it must be a necro thread. :D
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

With that thread title I thought this was about something else.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Enlarge Image

Is this straight or curved?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Paingod wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:21 pmkukri
:oops:
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Fardaza wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:03 pmSounds like quite the adventure you're living! Grats on the promotions.
It keeps me busy. Work, college (I'm two more classes from having a Bachelor's in Business Leadership), kids, marriage, juggling an apartment in one state with a house in another state while we try and build a house in the state where the apartment is... good times. My wife is up to 18 Huskies, 7 snakes, 8 rabbits, 3 lizards, 2 frogs, and a hedgehog. I had a dog but she had a brain tumor and we put her down about 2 days before I came here for this job.
Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:06 pmYou have no idea how worried I've been about you. For 3 fucking years.
I promise I didn't mean to do that. I feel happy. I've taken a walk. No one put me on the cart. :)

I've been very busy and the email I used to register is one I don't check with any regularity. Then I made the mistake of changing my password for OO to something out of KeePass - random gibberish meant to be copy/pasted - and discovered that if I didn't have that with me, I wasn't logging in to either my original email or the forums. I basically set up artificial roadblocks that I kept meaning to tear down but kept getting distracted from before I could. I can actually type my password now, so the roadblocks are down. If I don't post now it's just being busy or being a dick. :think:
Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:11 pmI need a nap after reading that post.
:lol: Me too. It's good to hear business is going well!
Lassr wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:04 pmAfraid you had gone the route of Qantaga...who disappeared 10 years ago in the middle of a WW game. :(
Oh, that sucks. There was a year where I was living in near isolation when I wasn't working and worried that if something happened to me, no one would know until I didn't show up for work. I didn't like that feeling.
Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:32 pmI have Schrodinger's Sword - simultaneously curved and straight.
As long as you don't unsheathe it.
LordMortis wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:58 am:greetings-waveyellow:
:handgestures-salute:
Hrdina wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:50 amWelcome back.
Thank you!
Freyland wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:18 amWelcome back
And you!
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:35 amI saw the thread and OP and thought it must be a necro thread. :D
I tried to reach back to when I first started and was accused of being a bot. :)
Scuzz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:39 amWith that thread title I thought this was about something else.
A little light misdirection. I thought it might slow down Hepcat. I think it worked.
dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:48 amIs this straight or curved?
Yes. How are you and the goats holding up?
Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:55 am :oops:
Any similarities to any real or fictional persons is entirely coincidental. :wink:
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Glad you're ok and seemingly doing well. I can barely keep my stuff straight currently; sounds like you've been juggling quite a bit too. Hopefully you're still able to decompress a bit and de-Pain.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Thanks for giving your zweihander the old zig-zag in our general direction. Stick around!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have four swords. All are straight. I also have a cheap wall-hanger katana that is curved. It is not good for slashing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was going to ask about the dogs. That question has been answered. Thanks! :D

And welcome back to the fold.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Welcome back, glad to hear things are going so well! :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:11 pm I need a nap after reading that post.
Heh. IKR.

Sorry, I was just filled with a lot of emotions.
:ninja:

Really, sincerely happy you are doing well, Paingod. :D
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Did some major meteorological event just happen to bring Paingod back?

:)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Welcome back. In the words of Kansas:
Carry on, my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:07 pm Did some major meteorological event just happen to bring Paingod back?

:)
Pure coincidence. No sacrifices were made, no rituals performed. Honest. :shhh:
TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:25 pmI was going to ask about the dogs. That question has been answered. Thanks! :D
Yup. Still lots of puppies. We've got 6 inside the house and the other 12 are outside, but we cycle them in and out when we can. Huskies love the outdoors, and love to run. We have a large fenced in back yard and I love watching them run themselves to exhaustion back there; they're obviously so happy to fly. We've had some of them long enough that they're slowing down, but they give it their best.

Sidenote: My wife has 8 chickens and is adding another 70. :shock: The intent is to expand the amount of eggs produced and use those to supplement the dog food. A week ago she finally admitted that she's maybe running a farm now. We don't sell anything, though.
Black Lives Matter

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I started reading this thread and I was really hoping for some good male health tips. But yeah welcome back Paingod.
FTE
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is the insinuation that curved = broken?!

I myself do not own a curved sword, but if I did, I might be offended.