Fallout 3 Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scuzz

Re: Fallout 3 Impressions

Post by Scuzz »

I had no problems loading FO3 GOTY version and i never had Games for Windows Live installed.......unless DA:O installed it.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I gave my stepson my old copy of FO3. After applying the latest patch he kept getting error boxes about missing some dll or something. He eventually found out he needed Games for Windows installed before he could play it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

KillTrash wrote:Hipolito, I'm playing FO3 with the Fallout Mod Manager and FOSE, and it disables GFWL by default, so I never had that headache to get the game started. You should check it ou in case you plan on replaying it anytime soon.
Thanks for the tip. I also use Fallout Mod Manager but didn't know about FOSE. The thing is, GFWL doesn't give me any problems while running the game, only while installing it, and I'm not sure FOSE would help with that.
Scuzz wrote:I had no problems loading FO3 GOTY version and i never had Games for Windows Live installed.......unless DA:O installed it.
Did you buy the game from a download service like Steam? My version is a retail box copy, which might make a difference.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Hipolito wrote:
KillTrash wrote:Hipolito, I'm playing FO3 with the Fallout Mod Manager and FOSE, and it disables GFWL by default, so I never had that headache to get the game started. You should check it ou in case you plan on replaying it anytime soon.
Thanks for the tip. I also use Fallout Mod Manager but didn't know about FOSE. The thing is, GFWL doesn't give me any problems while running the game, only while installing it, and I'm not sure FOSE would help with that.
Scuzz wrote:I had no problems loading FO3 GOTY version and i never had Games for Windows Live installed.......unless DA:O installed it.
Did you buy the game from a download service like Steam? My version is a retail box copy, which might make a difference.
Box version from Best Buy.

The only problem I had with it was the occasional crash to the desktop. Maybe 12 times in the entire time I played the game. But I save a lot so it was no big problem. I tried hitting the Windows Live button yesterday and all that happened was the machine locked up.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I finished the game last night..at least I have now done the base game and all 5 DLC's. The game doesn't actually end at that time.

I had 108 hours. Really enjoyed the game and while it played much different than F1&2 I still found the fallout world to be well represented. I see why they had to change the original ending as that was truly MEH....with a capital MEH.
Black Lives Matter
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

I just reformatted my computer and reinstalled Fallout 3. Never did get much far before, so I'm trying again.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and the game crashes to desktop in the intro thing where you have to walk to the father.

I recall the same thing happening to me before the format and that running it in a window seemed to solve it. Is there a better solution than that though? Latest patch (1.7?) from Bethesda has been applied.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Two Sheds wrote:You come across a little burned-out diner, and inside everything is rubble and destruction except for one pristine white coffee cup sitting on the counter. Behind the counter, two skeletons.
Replaying Fallout 3 for the first time in years, and I walked into Dot's Diner near the Jury St. Station... and there it was. This post by Two Sheds actually came to mind.

I had forgotten how depressing this game can be, the stories it tells without telling them - just what's left behind. Definitely evokes something for me that New Vegas didn't quite capture, even though I think New Vegas was better executed from a technical standpoint.
Last edited by Stuie on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reminds me of the Bradbury story about the automated Martian house.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:27 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:54 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:46 pm Yargh - what about FO3? I never finished it and would like to correct that. Anyone have any suggestions about best way to play it in 2024?
How do you feel about Fallout: New Vegas?

If your answer is positive, I'd recommend A Tale of Two Wastelands. It combines the two games by porting FO3 into NV. They're still separate and each can be played individually, but it's designed with the intention that you play them both with the same character, and balanced with that in mind (when you decide to go to Vegas, Benny still shoots you in the head, so your memory and gear are gone, and you have to regain both over the course of it.) It's popular, well written, relatively easy to install, and rock-solid (I'm playing it now, and have been off and on for about a year and a half.)

Gameplay wise, the reason to go this route is that the New Vegas version of the engine was more stable, and the game had more functionality than the FO3 version. By playing FO3 in the New Vegas engine, you get all of the enhancements.

The setup takes a little while, but it's straightforward, well documented, and well supported. Just make sure you follow all of the steps (including the clean install!)
Awesome! Thanks, I will do this.

Downsides to this vs vanilla/separate?

If it helps I never played New Vegas.
Then you're in for a double!

There are no objective downsides that I know of, but it does change the game a bit, which could be a subjective downside for some, depending on your preferences. It doesn't change the content/lore/story beyond adding a few goodies, but it does tweak the balance, as NV and FO3 were different games, with different equipment, different buff items, different foods, and different perks. The same enemies in the two games had different stats. The same weapons had different stats. They had to adjust those things or it would break both games. So would the leveling system - you'd be endgame level at the start of whichever you played second. That needed tweaked.

Example: Fallout 3 has bobbleheads you can collect that give big skill bonuses (permanent +10 on skills that range from 1-100.) FO3 and NV both have books that permanently increase skills (by 3 points in New Vegas, 4 with the Comprehension perk), and by 1/2 points in FO3.) Both games have perks that permanently increase skills. The level cap was raised as part of the balance changes, meaning that you're assigning skill points more often. Result? There are so many ways to increase your numerical skills that it was both unbalanced overkill, and kind of pointless and unfun. Here's +10 to your Science skill... that you maxed out two days ago. Yay?

So instead they made the books give FO3 bonuses (+1/+2 points.) They made bobbleheads give special perks instead of stat/skill bonuses - the Science bobblehead gives you a bonus against robots, and changed some perks similarly (for example, Daddy's Boy/Daddy's Girl went from +5 Science and Medicine to giving a 10% increase to chem duration and a bonus to hacking.) The result is that you still have so many ways to raise skill values that you'll still be able to max out the skills you want just as easily, but the bobbleheads/books/perks won't be useless, and are still exciting to find.

In practice, they balanced it so that leveling made you gain versatility as much as power. So, instead of being god-powered halfway through and having the second campaign be dull, you stay at around the same power level as you would have in the vanilla games, but gain breadth - you can use more weapon types, you will have access to a bigger variety of skills and options, etc.

You're still playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas as written, but some of the underlying mechanics have changed to make that possible. They didn't change things unnecessarily, nor did they mess with the lore (nothing was added that doesn't belong to the lore already, save for some side quests that still fit within the lore.)

Whether the changes are downsides is subjective. I'd suggest looking through the FAQ.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Excellent, thanks. I guess I was worried about balance more than anything, since mods of this scope seem to affect that from my limited knowledge.

Some downsides are worth it to get FO3 in the new engine though.

Can’t wait to try it! Almost finished with Beyond A Steel Sky, so that will be a nice change of pace/genre.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Funny enough with me being a mod person that I am I dislike and cant support large mods to games. They try to do too much and like said it just breaks stuff. Plus they make these big huge mods then inside its a bunch of wide empty space with scattered things to do. They just have these grand ideas but not the skill or man power to accomplish them on their own.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Except for the ones who do have the skill and manpower and pull it off. And sometimes it is the big mods that make everything else work, serving as a framework to tie everything else together.

There are plenty of bad mods, but you won't see me recommending them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I refuse to let all this talk make me do a replay. :snooty:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:15 pm I refuse to let all this talk make me do a replay. :snooty:
Do it! I need a re-play buddy!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:24 pm Except for the ones who do have the skill and manpower and pull it off. And sometimes it is the big mods that make everything else work, serving as a framework to tie everything else together.
Exactly. My personal opinion is that the story in Enderal is far superior to Skyrim. But, of course, they would not have been able to build it without Bethesda.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:16 pm
TheMix wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:15 pm I refuse to let all this talk make me do a replay. :snooty:
Do it! I need a re-play buddy!
Stop it!!!!

Seriously. :) I'm actually working on trying to get my Skyrim VR working again. I set it up for gilraen, but she never played it. Now I'm thinking of taking a run through. And I never finished my FO4:VR run. Which also seems to be having issues after sitting for well over a year. So I probably need to upgrade it too.

Black Lives Matter