Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Holman

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by Holman »

Worthington Games is rebooting the 1970s TSR classic Divine Right. They're keeping the original aesthetic but raising the component quality.

I never played the original, but I was always interested.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Debating on backing Horror on the Orient Express: The Board Game

I'm a sucker for anything Cthulhu related, and the fact that this is an officially licensed Chaosium product makes it all the more tempting. Plus you've got good designer pedigree (Adam Kwapinski who did Nemesis and Frostpunk). And a cute little cardboard train. Throw in some mechanics I love (deduction, push your luck bag draws, co-op), and it's close to a no-brainer.

My only real hesitation is that I've heard from folks who played it at GenCon last year that it's REALLY difficult to win. While ordinarily I don't mind difficult games, it does scare me off a tiny bit.

Hopefully there will be more gameplay videos out before I have to decide. Or I may just throw in a buck to late pledge later.
RMC

Post by RMC »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:49 pm Debating on backing Horror on the Orient Express: The Board Game

I'm a sucker for anything Cthulhu related, and the fact that this is an officially licensed Chaosium product makes it all the more tempting. Plus you've got good designer pedigree (Adam Kwapinski who did Nemesis and Frostpunk). And a cute little cardboard train. Throw in some mechanics I love (deduction, push your luck bag draws, co-op), and it's close to a no-brainer.

My only real hesitation is that I've heard from folks who played it at GenCon last year that it's REALLY difficult to win. While ordinarily I don't mind difficult games, it does scare me off a tiny bit.

Hopefully there will be more gameplay videos out before I have to decide. Or I may just throw in a buck to late pledge later.
Same to all the above, but I backed it anyway. Even with those limitations, I think it will be good, and the price point, for a kickstarter, is fairly low.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You twisted my arm. I'm in. Also found a Jon Gets Games run through of it, and a positive preview from Rahdo that both helped seal the deal. This is one I'll primarily play solo, and the brain burnery puzzle nature looks like it will fit well with solo play.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Like many others, I'm a sucker for the theme and I'm of an age where I actually remember the paper-based RPG campaign of the same name.

I do need to watch some preview videos though as the little I've seen suggest this is Euro-ish with lots of bits and pieces. That's not a mechanic I typically enjoy (Euros, broadly) so I'd need to verify how things work. I'd also most likely be playing solo so it has to make sense from that standpoint as well.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Here's the JonGetsGames playthrough I was talking about:

It's one of the first videos I've found that actually shows what the actual gameplay is like.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Mike from One Stop Co-op Shop is probably my favorite YouTube teacher of games. He dropped his tutorial/overview if anyone is still on the fence:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Today's workout: Hauling Dungeon Universalis up the stairs. The box wasn't as big as some games I've lugged up the stairs, but it was so full of books and cards that it might as well have been a block of solid wood.

Now, to squint at the rulebook.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

welcome to HARDCORE dungeon crawling. :)

Get out some of your fantasy minis and go to town.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm a survivor of the Battle of the Red Box, and a veteran of the Rolemaster Wars. I can handle it.

As soon as I get a magnifier to read the rulebook!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not that desperate.

Yet.

I'm getting there, though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 pm I'm a survivor of the Battle of the Red Box, and a veteran of the Rolemaster Wars. I can handle it.

Warning: I believe there is a penalty in Dungeon Universalis for shooting into a group of two or more figures engaged in melee that includes the chance of hitting a random participant. :D

But man, I love how they handle shields. :wub:

Now you got me wanting to whip out my copy and get back into it. We could even play online with their party/map site sometime.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Damn it, those types of rules screw me over every time. When it comes to clutch die rolls to avoid catastrophe, I make interesting and bad things happen.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:54 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 pm I'm a survivor of the Battle of the Red Box, and a veteran of the Rolemaster Wars. I can handle it.

Warning: I believe there is a penalty in Dungeon Universalis for shooting into a group of two or more figures engaged in melee that includes the chance of hitting a random participant. :D
:grund:

Not... how... bows... work.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Spoiler:
BLUNDERS AND FAILURES
A blunder result when attacking at a distance may
result in the weapon breaking (see the section "Breaking
Roll" on page 41). In addition, the shot or throwing will
automatically hit the closest ally among those adjacent
to the squares through which the path of the shot passed
(in scenarios without squares, as it is detailed later in these
rules, it is understood that the line of fire will be 1 inch wide
and may affect all characters whose bases touch that line).
In case of doubt, when there are several allies located at the
same distance from the trajectory, one random character will
be hit.
If the test is failed and there is a result of 1 in one of
the dice, a shot or throwing targeting an enemy with an
ally adjacent to him will hit the ally instead (if there are
several adjacent allies, one of them will be hit at random).
However, adjacent allies that are smaller than the target
cannot be hit.
After a misfire the character's activation ends.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now that I'm OK with (if I'm reading the rule correctly, sans-context.) Hitting an ally on a fumble is reasonable. It's always been the "when firing into melee, apply the attack to a random target" type rules I hate.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, they usually only enforce the "hit random enemy/hit ally" rule when you fail your role in the other games too. Usually only when a certain really bad roll is made.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, which is why the ones that have it as I described are so freaking annoying.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Are there any that actually have you hit allies automatically if firing into melee engaged combatants? :?
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are some that, if you fire into melee and hit, require you to randomly determine the target, yes. Both 1st and 2nd edition AD&D did it that way, I've seen it in other RPGs more recently, and I've seen it in a couple of board games. It's not common (except where the GM is a dick and house rules it in), but it is real.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 pm Are there any that actually have you hit allies automatically if firing into melee engaged combatants? :?
Yes. Zombicide. :grund:
When using a Ranged weapon, the shooting Survivor does not choose the targets hit by successful rolls. Hits are assigned to Actors in the targeted Zone following this targeting priority order:
1 – Survivors (except for the shooter)
2 – Walkers
3 – Fatties or Abominations
4 – Runners
The hits are assigned to targets at the lowest priority until they’ve all been eliminated, then to targets at the next priority until they’ve all been eliminated, and so on.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So you're actually more likely to hit allies than enemies.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Correct. Guaranteed, in fact. Apparently the Survivors really don't like each other.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's worse than random. Geeze.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 pm Correct. Guaranteed, in fact. Apparently the Survivors really don't like each other.
FWIW, they fixed this in Zombicide 2.0 so that only misses hit survivors and you can apply the damage to any survivor in the zone.
I think this was one of the things with the highest backlast.
Our house rule for this when playing Z1 was just no...
It made it sound like you were always aiming for your friend.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I have zombicide undead or alive and that must be based on 2.0 as I don’t remember having to hit allies engaged in melee.

The majority of games I see that in, it's a penalty for failing a roll. Which makes sense to me.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It's from Rue Morgue. I probably should have included that. Good to know that they changed it though. So I won't feel bad when I don't follow that rule. :D

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just double checked the rules for Undead or Alive. It's only misses that hit allies:
UNDEAD OR ALIVE RULES
FRIENDLY FIRE

Survivors can’t hit themselves with their own attacks However,
emergency situations can call for Ranged Attacks aimed at a Zone
where a teammate is stuck
In that case, misses during the Attack roll automatically hit
Survivors standing in the target Zone Assign these Friendly Fire
hits in any way players want and apply Damage as usual (Damage
2 weapons inflict 2 Wounds, and so on)
I'm fine with that. You're firing into a group of people moving around frantically in a small(ish) space during combat. Mistakes happen.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of that either. What they are basically saying is that no shots miss. Not if there is a Survivor in the zone. I think it would be better to say all misses get re-rolled once, and any subsequent hits count against another Survivor. I mean, it's virtually still a guaranteed death as is, if you are using dual submachine guns. :D My recollection is that it's 10 dice that only hit on a 5 or 6. There are going to be a lot of misses. So you are essentially back to guaranteeing a death.

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For a game like Zombicide, I think that's fine. It's not meant to be a realistic recreation of combat by any means. But rather a chaotic, goofy fun beat 'em up with fast and loose rules.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:33 am I think it would be better to say all misses get re-rolled once, and any subsequent hits count against another Survivor. I mean, it's virtually still a guaranteed death as is, if you are using dual submachine guns. :D My recollection is that it's 10 dice that only hit on a 5 or 6. There are going to be a lot of misses. So you are essentially back to guaranteeing a death.
[GM hat] If you were wanting to make it realistic, you'd do it the other way around. Misses get rerolled, and and subsequent failures (misses) hit a survivor, while successes (misses) count as missed shots. Reasoning: The higher the shooter's skill, the lower their chances of hitting an ally should be. Hits on a reroll counting against allies means that the more skilled you are, the more likely you are to shoot a friend. [/GM hat]

That's me just playing with game theory, though, because:
hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:34 pm For a game like Zombicide, I think that's fine. It's not meant to be a realistic recreation of combat by any means. But rather a chaotic, goofy fun beat 'em up with fast and loose rules.
This is the real answer. Action games need fast abstraction rather than time consuming realism.

One realistic version I've played in someone's house rules (for either Pathfinder 1e or D&D 3.5e, I don't remember which.) The rule was basically that you got a penalty for shooting into combat to represent having to avoid hitting allies. If you missed within range of that penalty, you hit the ally. In other words, if you have a +5 to your attack roll, and the enemy's armor class was 15, you'd normally need to roll a 10. But shooting into melee gave a -2 penalty, so if you missed by 1 or 2, you hit the ally. It made sense. It was also a very dense, slow, math-heavy rules system that was largely abandoned by the industry a couple of years later.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Poking through the DUN contents has managed to get the soundtrack from Man of La Mancha stuck in my head.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:45 pm Poking through the DUN contents has managed to get the soundtrack from Man of La Mancha stuck in my head.
There are worse sound tracks that could be going around in your head! I love Man of La Mancha!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So, confession time - I pulled out of Horror on the Orient Express. After watching a couple of gameplay videos, it just wasn't grabbing me. I think it still looks like a neat game, but with me only playing solo I just felt it wasn't the kind of game I could see bringing out repeatedly.

On the other hand, I did back the Earth expansion today. That's a game I've really enjoyed solo. The expansion doesn't add a lot of complexity, but does give players a new mechanic to allow them to look for cards that better fit their tableau. One of the small negatives with the base game is that you can get stuck where you really need a certain card for a killer combo and are at the mercy of the randomness of the deck. This helps alleviate that a bit.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Earth is a really good game. Like Townsfolk Tussle, I wouldn’t have backed them without YouTube reviews from Alex at Boardgameco.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon