Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Random randomness

Post by Skinypupy »

I have been trying to hire someone to repair our broken vinyl fence. Broken slats, one of the hinges is busted, and the latch has fallen apart.

I have now called six different places (found on Google) and have yet to get a response from a single one.

I get that it’s not a huge job, but maybe just send an email or text to say “we aren’t taking new customers” or something?

Frustrating.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

em2nought wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:54 pm Should have just taken the Gandy. :lol:
Some times of the day it still would be quicker than the Gandy :wink:

By the way, I'm really enjoying the new extension to the Selmon Expressway that allows me to "fly" over the surface traffic and land on the Gandy about where that Amtrac is :horse:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats this Gandy you speak of?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:45 pm Whats this Gandy you speak of?
I almost asked the same thing, but I'm guessing it's Florida people doing the Chicago people thing (you know, when they talk about driving on LSD, and everyone's trying to figure out why they'd do such a thing.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:55 pm
I almost asked the same thing, but I'm guessing it's Florida people doing the Chicago people thing (you know, when they talk about driving on LSD, and everyone's trying to figure out why they'd do such a thing.)
Fun fact: I actually drove on LSD once. I was real focused on the road.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Gandy Bridge

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:34 pm
em2nought wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:54 pm Should have just taken the Gandy. :lol:
Some times of the day it still would be quicker than the Gandy :wink:

By the way, I'm really enjoying the new extension to the Selmon Expressway that allows me to "fly" over the surface traffic and land on the Gandy about where that Amtrac is :horse:
I think that construction had been going on ever since I moved back to Florida in the mid 90s. Maybe I won't take the Skyway next time. :think:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 pm
:lol:
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 pm Fun fact: I actually drove on LSD once. I was real focused on the road.
Everything's cool, everything's fine, everyth--WATCH OUT!!!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We went to Chicago on a trip a few years ago and I drove several times on LSD :D. Everywhere from the Museum of Science & Industry to the Navy Pier. Not bad at all.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote:
You have to be. It's very curvy and people go fast!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 pm
I drove home from a Grateful Dead concert on the downside of a cocktail of LSD, ecstasy, weed, and warm wine. I was working the pedals and wheel, but it was really a group effort by everyone in the car. You only get to unlock that achievement once so I never repeated it.

The next day they told me that Bob Dylan had come in on a helicopter, but I had totally missed that. :lol:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Aren't you too old for ecstasy?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wasn't too old in the 1990s.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Went to a RATT concert in 87 and smoked a lot of weed. On the way back I rode shotgun and it was snowing when we came out. It got heavier on the highway and at speed the snow looked 3d to me and my weed brain as it came at us and passed. It was like being at warp speed and all the snow was stars. Was a great ride back feeling like Han Solo.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I went to see Heart in 1975 or 76. They were just becoming popular and were playing in a small ice arena in Missouri. I had been taking who knows what before the show.

As we were walking out to the parking lot after the show, I was beginning to come out of the fog. I turned to one of my friends and said, "Weren't we going to see Heart tonight?" My friend told me we just did. Still struggling, I asked, "Aren't there 2 women in the group?" He replied, "They were right there in front of you. Where have you been?"

Glad I wasn't driving.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:08 pm I have been trying to hire someone to repair our broken vinyl fence. Broken slats, one of the hinges is busted, and the latch has fallen apart.

I have now called six different places (found on Google) and have yet to get a response from a single one.

I get that it’s not a huge job, but maybe just send an email or text to say “we aren’t taking new customers” or something?

Frustrating.
We've been trying for a couple years to get some railings
Installed on our porch.

Almost nobody returns our calls. Those that do tell us the job is too small or, in one case, quoted us $8000.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smart bulbs. I know some of you have the HUE bulbs. I bought a pair of Govee bulbs for my bedroom. I have some led lights I use to set the mood for gaming but the overheads were plain bulbs. So now I can use them to make the entire room colors.

But I cant seem to link the two bulbs so I can adjust them together instead of one at a time. I can turn them off or make them red or blue or whatever but only one at a time. And thats annoying me. You'd think it would be simple to control multiple bulbs at once. I mean it says the app supports up to 50 bulbs. Who would really do one of those at a time?

Any ideas here?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Windows Update wrote:That's great we are almost done. Let's take a few moments to finish setting up your computer.
No. Really.

Let's not.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 am Any ideas here?
Count your blessings?

Or, try and fit into your busy youtube schedule the setting up of a 2nd light bulb?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:40 am I drove home from a Grateful Dead concert on the downside of a cocktail of LSD, ecstasy, weed, and warm wine. I was working the pedals and wheel, but it was really a group effort by everyone in the car. You only get to unlock that achievement once so I never repeated it.

The next day they told me that Bob Dylan had come in on a helicopter, but I had totally missed that. :lol:
Never had ecstasy myself, or weed, or warm wine for that matter. Did (as I related above) drive on the LSD, although never took anyway. The wife did, as part of a college official research project.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got the bulbs grouped. It could have been more simple but the app doesn't allow that. Shrug. Having fun with trying different things with the lights and the colors.

It says if I had one of those tv or monitor mood matching cameras with the backlighting it could pair with that and be one big room in one control automatically.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 am
But I cant seem to link the two bulbs so I can adjust them together instead of one at a time. I can turn them off or make them red or blue or whatever but only one at a time. And thats annoying me. You'd think it would be simple to control multiple bulbs at once. I mean it says the app supports up to 50 bulbs. Who would really do one of those at a time?

Any ideas here?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:02 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 am

Any ideas here?
I don't think Daehawk has a smart phone?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Aaaaaahahahahahahahhaha I got my lights working right. I have a Samsung tablet. I can now simply say "Hey Google make my light green" and POOF they're green. hahahhaa. Its the future! Im finally in the future!!! Weeeee. Now I need more bulbs. One of my bed clamp light so I can make the entire rooms take orders. So cool! Too bad they didn't have 100 watt equivalent. Im used to 100w not 75w. But Ill get used to it to be able to have these colors and use my voice to change it. Wild. Never would have thought about this as a kid.

Now if I can change the command from "Hey Google" to simple "Computer!" like STTNG :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

BTW I got this set of two on sale from Amazon for under $20. I love Govee products so I specifically chose them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B7QNYHR?re ... _ri_0&th=1
Enlarge Image

Its says I can somehow sync them to music like my corner light. Im still trying to figure that part out.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 pm
Its says I can somehow sync them to music like my corner light. Im still trying to figure that part out.
https://us.govee.com/products/govee-music-sync-box

($35)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

aww bummer. So it needs an outside box. Shame. Was hoping it would let me use my tablet or PC to play the music and the tablet's mic to pic up the beat for it to blink to. Too easy thinking on my part.

Maybe in the future when the money is more fluid. I plan to build a full new pc system then anyways with a curved 34" monitor and some kinda Govee mood lighting. Might even splurge for a real pc desk and chair.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 am I wasn't too old in the 1990s.
Yes you were.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey I got the lights blinking colors to music. Found it in the Govee app. I click MIC so it listens and any sound makes it blink a color. Music ,akes it blink and change fast. Like a disco. Nice. Thats what I wanted. Im glad I dont suffer from light seizures.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Intuitively, this seems about right...

Who likes loud cars? Ontario study suggests they skew young, male and score high on psychopathy and sadism
"Every day we come across these loud cars and pickup trucks and motorcycles that are backfiring and I get startled," she said. "My dog was startled. I see the animals run away that are in the trees and squirrels on the ground.

"I thought, 'Oh, who really wants to make this kind of noise?' And so a typical academic, I went and did an extensive search and found nothing."

Because there were no psychological studies on what kind of person prefers loud cars, Schermer conducted one of her own.

The pilot study, titled "A desire for a loud car with a modified muffler is predicted by being a man and higher scores on psychopathy and sadism," was published last year in the international journal Current Issues in Personality Psychology. Schermer also wrote about it in Psychology Today.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Did they correlate the tendency with assholes?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This confirms my bias so it must be true.

Does that mean you are you skew to sadistic psycho is you want a Dodge? I need to watch/listen for that in their advertisements. Though I will say, I don't see/hear advertisements for Chargers.

I've also had a huge rise of young 20 something joy riding the subs on mufflerless minibikes since the coming of COVID. My now gone neighbor skewing sadistic psycho renter neighbor worked on them... and mufflerless Chargers... and demonstrably loud motorcycles... and older Infinitis of all things....

Anecdotally, :character-oldtimer: !!! I'll imply but refrain from the R&P baggage here.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My back fence is next to a side road with a high school. It is usually pretty quiet, but occasionally I will hear one of those loud imbeciles. Especially late at night. I imagine grease monkeys spending months to perfect that sound.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Two neat items....

A tracking camera stand for your phone

Nebula Cosmos Laser 4K Projector
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Did the study on loud vehicles great! Now do one on loud car stereos. :lol:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:54 pm A tracking camera stand for your phone
Something similar has come into vogue for recording office meetings or Zoom sessions.

The Meeting Owl is basically a 360-degree webcam, sitting in the middle of the table and presenting a panoramic view at the top of the screen. It also pops out a new window focused on whoever it detects as talking, and it does two or more of these if rapid discussion develops among different talkers.

I imagine this will become the norm for groups that stream TTRPG sessions, for example.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Wife and I are taking a few days off exploring Rhode Island, the Narraganset area. Even though it’s off season, walking the beaches and hanging out at the local bars watching the Bruins is fun.

Stopped at a library in Wakefield and saw this wild looking radiator, the kind I’ve never seen before. I grew up with a traditional flat radiator under a window that I remember pushing my socked feet into to keep warm.

Enlarge Image
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

New, from the people that brought you Curved Swords, its Curved Radiator!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:26 pm New, from the people that brought you Curved Swords, its Curved Radiator!
Put it in yer car.