News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:32 pm I didn't even bother with part 1 given the reviews, and I'm not a big Snyder fan to begin with. but given Netflix's track record with terrible movies, it's another to add to its pile. I don't know why Netflix keeps funding these projects. 90% of the big directorial vanity projects on Netflix have been bombs, and very few of them have actually been any good.
Netflix knows exactly how many views each one gets. They might not be for you, but a lot of someones are watching them if they keep making them.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

stessier wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:40 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:32 pm I didn't even bother with part 1 given the reviews, and I'm not a big Snyder fan to begin with. but given Netflix's track record with terrible movies, it's another to add to its pile. I don't know why Netflix keeps funding these projects. 90% of the big directorial vanity projects on Netflix have been bombs, and very few of them have actually been any good.
Netflix knows exactly how many views each one gets. They might not be for you, but a lot of someones are watching them if they keep making them.
I couldn't sleep the night the first one dropped so I watched it. Sorry for contributing to the problem because it kinda sucked. :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I don't get the Rebel Moon hate. Not everything has to be Blade Runner, Matrix, Alien, or (fill in the blank for your favorite sci-fi movie). I like Rebel Moon for being entertaining light hearted fun. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I too thought Rebel Moon was a perfectly OK popcorn action flick. I watched it, enjoyed it for what it was, and will watch the sequel.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stessier wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:40 pm
That's an awful metric if they simply go by views, especially if they only count the first minutes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm I don't get the Rebel Moon hate. Not everything has to be Blade Runner, Matrix, Alien, or (fill in the blank for your favorite sci-fi movie). I like Rebel Moon for being entertaining light hearted fun. :pop:
I wasn’t that entertained by the first one. Not everything has to be great, but I would hope it would aspire to be at least good.

Oh well, everyone dislikes something that someone else likes at times. I’m sure you’ve found something dreadful that others have liked at times. That’s what kept the Underworld series going for years. :D
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Kate’s ass and legs in a catsuit corset provides enough entertainment to cover many cinematic flaws. Plus, vampires.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’d have to first have a story before having a flawed story.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:54 am You’d have to first have a story before having a flawed story.
Vampires. Wolves. Humans. The story writes itself!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I gotta say that I'm tired of vampires as heroes. From a zeitgeist perspective, I suppose it makes sense to celebrate those wgo live by sucking the blood of others, but I just want feral evil vampires who are scary, cunning and powerful and tough to kill.

I did enjoy Kate and her outfits tho.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I finished Strange New Worlds. I completed Fallout. My sister says her son, my nephew, likes this series called Sweet Tooth. Ive never heard of it but it appears to be cool after looking into it. Thought Id put it on your radar too.
On a perilous adventure in a post-apocalyptic world, a boy who's half-human and half deer searches for a new beginning with a gruff protector.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:01 pm My sister says her son, my nephew, likes this series called Sweet Tooth. Ive never heard of it but it appears to be cool after looking into it.
Go back one page.
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:31 pm I gotta say that I'm tired of vampires as heroes.
I remember when 30 Days of Night came out. It was like a breath of fresh air. Not a great movie, but still one I enjoyed. Primarily because it made vampires monsters again.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:24 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:01 pm My sister says her son, my nephew, likes this series called Sweet Tooth. Ive never heard of it but it appears to be cool after looking into it.
Go back one page.
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:31 pm I gotta say that I'm tired of vampires as heroes.
I remember when 30 Days of Night came out. It was like a breath of fresh air. Not a great movie, but still one I enjoyed. Primarily because it made vampires monsters again.
Ah ha. Well Im new to the well. I haven't seen the first ep yet. May do that tonight.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I watched Rebel Moon parts 1 and 2 and I don't know why. The story is just awful.

The premise of the story centers around a galactic empire that doesn't properly supply it's capital ship and they have to strong arm a remote farming village for all their wheat. If they don't get that wheat, and just the wheat, then this entire mission fails.

I just can't get past that, not to mention all the other bad story elements.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:14 pm I just can't get past that, not to mention all the other bad story elements.
My biggest issue is he couldn’t even be bothered to actually come up with a story, so he just redid Seven Samurai again. And badly at that.

Anyway….almost finished with Ripley. Apparently it’s not pulling in the viewers in numbers they’d hoped for, so I’m guessing it’s a one season wonder. Which is a shame. The show is fantastic. Keeping it in the 50s eliminates all the technology that would make someone like Tom Ripley all that much easier to catch. But since they don’t have those modern tools, the cat and mouse between Ripley and the detective chasing him eventually is all about the personalities. Every time Ripley is cornered you feel badly for wanting him to find a way out, and when he does, you realize you’re rooting for a very unlikeable sociopath with no redeeming values. He’s not Dexter. But Andrew Scott makes Ripley likable in spite of that. You understand why people accept his lies. Mainly because you eventually want to accept them.

Definitely an Emmy worthy performance.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

One Hundred Years of Solitude | Official Teaser

Read the book twice, looking forward to the adaptation.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Finished part 2 of Rebel Moon with my wife and we both loved the whole thing.
My wife is similar to me regarding movies.
We're not looking for Shakespeare or the next Godfather.
We enjoy simple plots and entertaining movies.
We kilked time, relaxed and enjoyed ourselces so mission accomplished in our view.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And I finished Ripley. Consistently great from beginning to end. Something a reviewer pointed out that I hadn't noticed initially was that there are long stretches of dialog free scenes in this show where everything is conveyed via Andrew Scott's mannerisms and facial expressions. It's just such a great performance on his part.

The conclusion
Spoiler:
leads right into Ripley's Game, it seems. Although I doubt we'll get to see that made into a mini series too. I especially loved the casting of John Malkovich as Reeves Minot since Malkovich played Ripley in the 2002 movie version of Ripley's Game...which also featured Reeves. It was a meta moment and has made me want to go back and watch that one again.
Again, I highly, highly recommend this series if you enjoy a good suspense story, great acting and/or beautiful cinematography. It has them all...in spades.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:27 am Again, I highly, highly recommend this series if you enjoy a good suspense story, great acting and/or beautiful cinematography. It has them all...in spades.
Stairs. So. Many. Stairs. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked the Italian countryside trees. In black and white, I can't decide whether they were real or were artificial ones added for a surreal effect.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Interesting choice for the only non black and white moment
Spoiler:
With the bloody cat footprints.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I noticed that too.
Spoiler:
The cat was essentially the optometrist sign from The Great Gatsby.
I also liked
Spoiler:
The last episode proving that Marge cared less for Dickie than Ripley in the end.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:And I finished Ripley.
I'm such an idiot. When I read this, my brain immediately went Ripley = Alien = new Alien series. I didn't even know it was out yet! And hepcat loved it! Maybe the weird trailers were wrong after all!

It wasn't until I started reading replies about black and white etc. that I realized what a dummy I was.

That said, I started watching Ripley (Tom, not Ellen) and loving it so far. :lol:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got my boss to watch it and he called me into his office this morning...to rave about it. :lol:
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Punisher wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:34 am Finished part 2 of Rebel Moon with my wife and we both loved the whole thing.
I finished part 2 today, after rewatching part 1 earlier in the week, and enjoyed. I also liked the half-hour making-of minidocumentary.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:24 pm
Yeah, me too. I loved the premise, and the initial setup, but then it kind of degenerated. Definitely not great, but I found it worth watching. but dang, that was almost 17 years ago!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, as I've noted numerous times before, you set ANYTHING in a remote arctic region (or even something similar) and I'll watch it. I blame Ice Station Zebra and The Thing. I can't think of any setting that does more to heighten the tension of being trapped by something sinister.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok I finally watched Rebel Moon (Part One), and I didn't hate it. I think it lost a bit of steam in the third act, and the cool droid from the beginning was underused (I wish he had tagged along for the whole movie), but other than that I found it solidly entertaining. I also liked how there were a lot of fantasy tropes (and maybe that's why I liked it - I'm a much bigger fantasy fan than sci-fi fan).

This was surprising because I am not a Zack Snyder fan. I think he's often way too much style over substance, and his overuse of slow-motion should be criminally prosecuted. This film suffered from both flaws. But I was still entertained and look forward to Part 2. It was also fun picking out all the Star Wars rip-offs.