Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: Ukraine

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:47 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:44 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:14 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:07 pm Deep thoughts.

How is that relevant here though?
I assume because Ukraine has been having significant ammunition shortages, and a big part of this package is to send ammunition to Ukraine.
Sure, but it sounded a lot more like Daehawk was saying he thought the package was only for guns, and it would be useless without ammo.
That was my take, but I've been known to misread Daehawk.
The list of stuff two posts above his post has a list of stuff, the first four of which are ammunition. So like...pretty sure he doesn't think that they're sending guns without ammo. Also...I don't think he's an idiot?
I think he historically dips into R&P very casually and very well may not have read the list at all.
Not sure why that act (not reading) would imply that someone thinks he's an idiot. We have a lot of people that fail to read the details of a post just 2 posts above theirs where they make it pretty obvious to anyone actually reading each post.

I think it's a human condition, not an idiot one.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:25 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:47 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:44 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:14 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:07 pm Deep thoughts.

How is that relevant here though?
I assume because Ukraine has been having significant ammunition shortages, and a big part of this package is to send ammunition to Ukraine.
Sure, but it sounded a lot more like Daehawk was saying he thought the package was only for guns, and it would be useless without ammo.
That was my take, but I've been known to misread Daehawk.
The list of stuff two posts above his post has a list of stuff, the first four of which are ammunition. So like...pretty sure he doesn't think that they're sending guns without ammo. Also...I don't think he's an idiot?
I think he historically dips into R&P very casually and very well may not have read the list at all.
Not sure why that act (not reading) would imply that someone thinks he's an idiot. We have a lot of people that fail to read the details of a post just 2 posts above theirs where they make it pretty obvious to anyone actually reading each post.

I think it's a human condition, not an idiot one.
It doesn't really matter, but you think that a non-idiot would think that they passed a package that would send them guns but with no ammunition to use them?
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I guess I can only say that I would not have worded the post the way Daehawk had if I was aware of the fact that ammunition was included in the bill.

I will say, I can see how the post is a bit ambiguous with that point, and you may be right... It could mean "Finally, they are getting that ammo!" But the wording sounded more like a critique to my ear.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I am a little worried about stuff I've read characterizing the Ukraine package as more of a band aid relative to Ukraine's needs, especially since I don't expect a further aid package to pass in 2024. But hopefully this helps.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:24 am I am a little worried about stuff I've read characterizing the Ukraine package as more of a band aid relative to Ukraine's needs, especially since I don't expect a further aid package to pass in 2024. But hopefully this helps.
And the latest I am seeing is that it's suspected that Ukraine is not reporting accurately on how badly things are going lately...losing a lot more ground on a daily basis than they are admitting.

The whole thing may be lost at this point, at least enough to put Ukraine in a position to have to negotiate away much of their Eastern territory.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If Russia is finally winning, are they even going to be willing to settle for part of the whole?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Sure would like to see Ukraine get a few of the new ATACMS onto the Kerch bridge.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:22 pm If Russia is finally winning, are they even going to be willing to settle for part of the whole?
Putin is collecting Ukraine like he is collecting Pokemon and faberge eggs - he has to have them all.

There is winning and there is winning however; Putin was hoping Ukranians would join him and he could use her manpower to conquer Europe.

In a historical sense most of what we call Ukraine was part of "Russia" and has been conquered and reconquered several times. (Other parts were long time parts of the Ottoman Empire, Poland-Lithuania and Austria-Hungary.) In nearly all cases what we now call the West has intervened in some way, has propped up the Ukrainians and then abandoned them.

Examples include the Crimean War in the 1800s, the 1920s Russian Civil War, the 1940s when the Germans butchered the Ukrainians who welcomed them as liberators, and in the 1950s when the CIA funded Ukrainian partisans and then abandoned them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68941220
The US has accused Russia of deploying chemical weapons as a "method of warfare" in Ukraine, in violation of international laws banning their use.

State department officials said Russia used the choking agent chloropicrin to win "battlefield gains" over Ukraine.

The allegations, which US officials said were not an "isolated" incident, would contravene the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC), which Russia signed.

The Kremlin rejected the accusations, calling them "baseless".
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Kremlin rejected the accusations, calling them "baseless". responded with "and?.?..." TFG, Magic The Gathering, and DJMusk went on to praise them for their honesty and then accused Fauchi and corrupt democrat overreach in the US of using chemical weapons on US citizens and pointed to Ukraine as proof.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Russian troops enter base housing US military in Niger, US official says

WASHINGTON, May 2 (Reuters) - Russian military personnel have entered an air base in Niger that is hosting U.S. troops, a senior U.S. defense official told Reuters, a move that follows a decision by Niger's junta to expel U.S. forces.
The military officers ruling the West African nation have told the U.S. to withdraw its nearly 1,000 military personnel from the country, which until a coup last year had been a key partner for Washington's fight against insurgents who have killed thousands of people and displaced millions more.

A senior U.S. defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Russian forces were not mingling with U.S. troops but were using a separate hangar at Airbase 101, which is next to Diori Hamani International Airport in Niamey, Niger's capital.

The move by Russia's military, which Reuters was the first to report, puts U.S. and Russian troops in close proximity at a time when the nations' military and diplomatic rivalry is increasingly acrimonious over the conflict in Ukraine.

It also raises questions about the fate of U.S. installations in the country following a withdrawal.

"(The situation) is not great but in the short-term manageable," the official said.

Why this matters:

https://carnegieendowment.org/2023/08/3 ... -pub-90463
In recent years, Niger has become most important U.S. military hub in West Africa. The United States has 1,100 troops in the country, as well as critical reconnaissance air assets. The country’s “discreet” military bases—which are found in almost every region of the world, including several in Niger—are one of the most effective ways for the United States to project power and maintain its status as a military superpower in the face of China and Russia. Northern Niger is a strategic location for surveillance of Libya and the entire Sahel-Saharan region and beyond.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT