NY vs. Trump - Hush Money Trial

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: NY vs. Trump - Hush Money Trial

Post by YellowKing »

Behaviors, no. Success rate of those behaviors? Quite possibly. We've already seen the party splinter without Trump at the helm. Much harder to pull off MAGA stunts if you don't have a captain at the helm keeping the dissidents in line.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

I have no idea how people can argue with a straight face that Trump's trials are purely political when the judiciary is stacked with Republicans.

It takes way less cognitive effort for me to accept that Trump is extremely dodgy and escapes courtroom consequences due to a stacked Republican biased judiciary, being an ex president, and being able to throw heaps of (other people’s) money at lawyers.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given the last couple of years, it still baffles me how he can find a lawyer willing to represent him. Every one will eventually be shamed and either fired or quit, if not disciplined for the level of nonsense required of them, and it's questionable whether they'll ever actually get paid
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Turns out some people will work for exposure.

Hepcat, NO!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 pm I have no idea how people can argue with a straight face that Trump's trials are purely political when the judiciary is stacked with Republicans.

It takes way less cognitive effort for me to accept that Trump is extremely dodgy and escapes courtroom consequences due to a stacked Republican biased judiciary, being an ex president, and being able to throw heaps of (other people’s) money at lawyers.
Because apparently nobody on the right wing gives a crap about consistency of thought at this point. It's all about what scores you short term wins.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gbasden wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 am
waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 pm I have no idea how people can argue with a straight face that Trump's trials are purely political when the judiciary is stacked with Republicans.

Because apparently nobody on the right wing gives a crap about consistency of thought at this point. It's all about what scores you short term wins.
Or facts. Don’t forget about facts as a chief thing that nobody on the right wing gives a crap about at this point.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The two definitely go hand in hand.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:24 pm
gbasden wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 am

Or facts. Don’t forget about facts as a chief thing that nobody on the right wing gives a crap about at this point.
The forest was shrinking but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Contempt I guess is trivial for someone of his stature.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-tria ... ork-judge/
Judge Juan Merchan said Trump violated the order nine times in recent weeks in posts on Trump's Truth Social platform and campaign website, many of which targeted Michael Cohen and Stormy Daniels, key witnesses in the case. Merchan fined Trump $9,000, or $1,000 for each violation, and ordered him to delete the posts.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Any crime with only a fine means it's completely legal to do if you are rich enough.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:23 am Any crime with only a fine means it's completely legal to do if you are rich enough.
Exactly my thought when I read about the fine.

"ok, ok, you can violate the court order, but you need to buy a permit first."
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:00 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:23 am Any crime with only a fine means it's completely legal to do if you are rich enough.
Exactly my thought when I read about the fine.

"ok, ok, you can violate the court order, but you need to buy a permit first."
Alternatively, setting up an appeal-proof jail time consequence for contempt. He's stupid and impulsive enough to do it again. Then we'll see...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Man, you guys are really letting me down here...haven't seen anything posted on the last few days of the trial. C'mon, I can't be be expected to SEARCH for info, why else would I pay the premium $100 a month here if I can't just log in and get my news!?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Once you get to 10k posts, you get a Members Only jacket and a discount.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:11 am Once you get to 10k posts, you get a Members Only jacket and a discount.
Damnit...*sigh* ok, guess I'll get to posting...only 7K+ to go...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Five takeaways from day 10 of Donald Trump’s New York hush money trial
Prosecutors seek further Trump fines
[T]he prosecution indicated it had further potential violations of the gag order to review, and Thursday’s return to court opened with those allegations.

Four examples were presented to the court. One, about National Enquirer editor David Pecker, was quickly brushed aside by Judge Merchan.

But Merchan had a heated exchange with Trump’s defence team over a different comment he made about the composition of the jury. On April 22, Trump told a right-wing TV network that the jury was “95 percent Democrats”.
Davidson returns for conclusion of his testimony
Once discussion of the gag order concluded for the day, the trial turned its attention to Keith Davidson, a lawyer who previously represented Daniels and Playboy model Karen McDougal, both of whom claim to have had affairs with Trump.

Davidson returned for his second day of testimony, as prosecutors pressed him for details about alleged “catch-and-kill” schemes to suppress negative coverage of Trump during the 2016 presidential race.
A new witness takes the stand
The second witness to testify on Thursday was a forensic analyst for the district attorney’s office, Douglas Daus.

He was there to describe the contents of two cellphones that Cohen, the former Trump lawyer, surrendered to law enforcement.
But Daus took the witness stand primarily to authenticate surreptitious recordings Cohen made on his phone, capturing his interactions with his then-client Trump.

The prosecution played excerpts from those recordings to the court on Thursday, including a segment where Trump and Cohen appeared to be discussing the hush money payments.
Judge shoots down request to review Trump posts
In the midst of Thursday’s proceedings, one of Trump’s lawyers, Susan Necheles, made a request to Judge Merchan to review articles the former president planned to repost on social media.

Necheles referenced the gag order, which bars Trump from speaking out on certain aspects of the trial. She said the order created ambiguity around what Trump could or could not post on his Truth Social account.

Judge Merchan, however, did not appear to buy the argument. There “is no ambiguity, I believe, in the order”, he replied, rejecting Necheles’s request that he approve various articles in advance.
Trump addresses reports he sleeps in court
“Contrary to the FAKE NEWS MEDIA, I don’t fall asleep during the Crooked D.A.’s Witch Hunt, especially not today,” he wrote. “I simply close my beautiful blue eyes, sometimes, listen intensely, and take it ALL in!!!”

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:24 am
Trump addresses reports he sleeps in court
“Contrary to the FAKE NEWS MEDIA, I don’t fall asleep during the Crooked D.A.’s Witch Hunt, especially not today,” he wrote. “I simply close my beautiful blue eyes, sometimes, listen intensely, and take it ALL in!!!”

Are. You. Freaking. Kidding. Me? I mean, I know he's petty and childish and all things drumphf, but really? "I'm not asleep, I'm just resting my beautiful blue eyes and taking it all in!" Sounds like something my dad used to say when we caught him nodding off during movie night after a long day at work.

Or something Stormy Daniels said to drumphf once or twice.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hyena wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:06 pm Sounds like something my dad used to say when we caught him nodding off during movie night after a long day at work.
My mom, in a similar scene... "I was just resting my eyes..."

:roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Checking my eyelids for holes.
- Dad
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:02 pm Checking my eyelids for holes.
- Dad
Ha! Never heard that one.
Brian

Post by Brian »

When I was in the Navy I would use, "Verifying water-tight integrity on my optical hatches."
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My mom went to a Quaker meeting for a while. One of the guys in the meeting used to "meditate deeply" (and apparently snore). :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Or any elementary school kid trying to stay up to watch TV past 2200.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Any other defendant would go to jail for contempt fir this continued violation of the judges order:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

If someone else other than Trump keep doing that, what is normally happen to them?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What the heck is steak hill?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And do mushrooms grow naturally on it?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trump fined $1,000 for gag order violation in hush money case as judge warns of possible jail time
The judge presiding over Donald Trump’s hush money trial fined him $1,000 on Monday and warned of jail time for future gag order violations while jurors heard testimony for the first time about the financial reimbursements at the center of the case.
The $1,000 fine imposed Monday marks the second time since the trial began last month that Trump has been sanctioned for violating the gag order. He was fined $9,000 last week, $1,000 for each of nine violations.

“It appears that the $1,000 fines are not serving as a deterrent. Therefore going forward, this court will have to consider a jail sanction,” Merchan said before jurors were brought into the courtroom. Trump’s statements, the judge added, “threaten to interfere with the fair administration of justice and constitute a direct attack on the rule of law. I cannot allow that to continue.”
Yet even as Merchan warned of jail time in his most pointed and direct admonition, he also made clear his reservations about a step that he described as a “last resort.”

“The last thing I want to do is put you in jail,” Merchan said. “You are the former president of the United States and possibly the next president as well. There are many reasons why incarceration is truly a last resort for me. To take that step would be disruptive to these proceedings.”
:roll:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, so *now* he's on double secret probation?

Again, they're never (SEE: Never) going to throw him in jail. It's a lose/lose situation. So instead, he gets to campaign and bloviate, because freedom.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump is breaking all the rules and his worshippers are eating it up. I honestly don't know how you deal with a two bit grifter like Trump when his followers worship the very ground he walks on. The moment he's in a jail cell, there'll be a photographer and a campaign photo 27 seconds afterwards. Then the t-shirts, mugs and bibles with that same photo will be for sale on his web site.

And I don't buy into the narrative that he's a political genius because of all this. He's breaking the rules not because he's intelligent, but because his cult is so friggin' stupid.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:05 pm Oh, so *now* he's on double secret probation?
I think this marks triple-secret.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:05 pm Oh, so *now* he's on double secret probation?

Again, they're never (SEE: Never) going to throw him in jail. It's a lose/lose situation. So instead, he gets to campaign and bloviate, because freedom.
I'm not sure it's because "freedom" but Trump is definitely showing that there IS a separate system for elites in this country, it's just that no one wanted to admit that previously (recently). This trial is so high profile, that even those who typically shy away from considering such things probably have to at least consider it.
The Paxton thing was somewhat an example as well.

"Justice for all", yes...with conditions. See disclaimer below.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:29 pm I'm not sure it's because "freedom"
His "wealthy" status is part of it, but the bigger issue is that we don't know how to handle some criminal politicians. If he's tossed in jail, he's now a political martyr - because he's being jailed as a candidate (clearly) and for speaking his mind about his opponents (freedom). As hepcat noted, the literal worst person in our timeline was (1) elected President and is without question (2) a criminal. He's not a political genius at all; he's benefiting from a system that is unable to address his specific existence - in part because he's still a net plus for a powerful political party (somehow).

Our society (and legal system) has no idea how to handle this. Or maybe more accurate, we know how to handle it but we aren't prepared to deal with how it looks or what it could mean.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:33 pm He's not a political genius at all; he's benefiting from a system that is unable of benefactors that refuse to address his specific existence - in part because he's still a net plus for a powerful political party (somehow).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There were two ways to handle this — Impeachment — but the Republican Party had no shame or sense but self-preservation.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:Oh, so *now* he's on double secret probation?

Eh, I read that on some of these contempt cases, the judge will order the person in contempt (usually a lawyer) to a few hours in detention.

I do think that may happen the next time.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zero chance. The minute he's put behind bars (even if it's only for a few hours) there's going to be another Supreme Court case he'll tee up for the current toadies to review.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not sure Trump being seen as a martyr carries much threat. Anyone who would believe that is already part of the cult.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know that there's any jail in the country ready to handle what happens outside on the day that he's put inside. Putting him in jail would require a tremendous amount of infrastructure, planning, and manpower, which would need to be in place in advance. Put him in jail for the weekend, and you're going to have massive, possibly armed, likely violent 'protests' that look like Jan 6 by the first night. That's not what jails are set up to handle.

I wouldn't be surprised if avoiding that chaos mid-trial is a big part of the judge's hesitation to incarcerate him.