hepcat

Re: Political Randomness

Post by hepcat »

We’re gonna need a bigger doll!
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, PETA doesn't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to reporting.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

People for the Eatin’ of Tasty Animals has never steered me wrong in the past.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm But you're really morphing into a troll, dude. It's pretty unpleasant.
Yes, because pointing out your statement that Trump hypothetically is going to beat a beagle to death with a golf club compared to Fauci ACTUALLY torturing and killing beagles is obviously an uncomfortable truth that you and hepcat don't want to face. So you dismiss me as a troll and dismiss PETA as a source even though you can easily google "Fauci beagle studies". Doing that would force you both into a cognitive dissonance, which can be avoided with name calling and dismissive arrogance to anyone that contradicts the OO narrative.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dude, you seem to take delight in trying to belittle anyone who agrees with someone else on OO….unless they’re agreeing with you, of course. You’ve turned troll. Whether I just didn’t notice it before because it wasn’t directed at me, or it’s a recent development, I don’t know. But go back and read through your posts. It’s like it physically pains you when more than 3 people agree on something. Then you have to lash out with passive aggressive insults…or just plain old insults.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:30 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm But you're really morphing into a troll, dude. It's pretty unpleasant.
Yes, because pointing out your statement that Trump hypothetically is going to beat a beagle to death with a golf club compared to Fauci ACTUALLY torturing and killing beagles is obviously an uncomfortable truth that you and hepcat don't want to face. So you dismiss me as a troll and dismiss PETA as a source even though you can easily google "Fauci beagle studies". Doing that would force you both into a cognitive dissonance, which can be avoided with name calling and dismissive arrogance to anyone that contradicts the OO narrative.
Hoo boy. OK, here we go.

1) My "Trump beating a beagle" hypothetical was clearly a response to Kristi Noem absolutely torching her political future by bragging about bravely murdering her own poorly trained dog.

2) I don't know what Fauci ever did with beagle-death experiments, but if you've ever paid any attention to OO discussion of animal rights then you know I'm committed to minimizing animal suffering as much as possible.

The gray areas appear when a small number of animal deaths might serve research to mitigate the suffering of thousands or millions of others. Knowing what I know about medical (as opposed to commercial) research, I can accept that some deaths might be necessary.

3) I never dismissed PETA as a source. (And you're thinking of someone else there.) While I think their ad campaigns often strike the wrong note, I'm on record--within the past two or three days--asserting that the ethical arguments for vegetarianism are incontrovertible and correct.

4) My calling you a troll is a direct response to your dismissing people's hatred of Elon Musk, which hatred is entirely justified due to Musk's taking control of a useful global communications network and doing everything he can to use his controlling authority to boost racist, fascist, and authoritarian voices as much as he has been able. Does that make him a hero to you?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Edit: not worth it.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's pretty sick that someone would show a picture of dead Beagles not because killing Beagles is bad, but because it makes Fauci look bad.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:18 pm I'm on record--within the past two or three days--asserting that the ethical arguments for vegetarianism are incontrovertible and correct.
Where's that discussion taking place?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:43 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:18 pm I'm on record--within the past two or three days--asserting that the ethical arguments for vegetarianism are incontrovertible and correct.
It came up here and here most recently. But I've argued the same for as long as I've been on OO, even as I continue to violate genuine ethical principles because eating animals is easy.

We all suck.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:18 pm
The gray areas appear when a small number of animal deaths might serve research to mitigate the suffering of thousands or millions of others. Knowing what I know about medical (as opposed to commercial) research, I can accept that some deaths might be necessary.

3) I never dismissed PETA as a source. (And you're thinking of someone else there.) While I think their ad campaigns often strike the wrong note, I'm on record--within the past two or three days--asserting that the ethical arguments for vegetarianism are incontrovertible and correct.
I agree with your gray areas. There are situations where direct observation is the only way forward. I am also on the same page (or at least in the same chapter) as you on vegetarianism. I have worked with animal rescues in the area (I'm the local 'bird guy' when they get overloaded.) I worked with wildlife rescue in Reno. My son volunteered a the local Humane Society for a while as a way to gain work experience. Me and my family are very pro-animal.

And it was me that dismissed PETA.

They're a borderline extremist group that hurts animal rights movements by taking absurd positions, that pushes bad science in order to make their claims (remember, milk causes autism!), making over-the-top statements (eating meat is like being a Nazi during the holocaust), and takes such a black-and-white approach to animal rights (if you wear fur, you're a bad person - just like if you have a pet), that they look, frankly, nuts. Try handing out happy meal boxes full of fake blood to small children as a 'tactic', along with 'your mommy kills animals' pamphlets that tell the little kids to keep their parents away from their pets because are obsessed with killing animals. Did I mention that they're against seeing eye dogs?

There are animal rights groups that are less well known that do a great deal of good that aren't batshit insane.

And that's why, when PETA is used as a source, I tend to ignore it. They have no issue twisting the truth (and ethics) to fit their ideals.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:47 pm
Alefroth wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:43 pm
It came up here and here most recently. But I've argued the same for as long as I've been on OO, even as I continue to violate genuine ethical principles because eating animals is easy.

We all suck.
Thanks. I never wander into random randomness.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You should. It’s where you can find things such as soundtracks to 60s Italian spy movies.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Oh really? That sounds pretty interesting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:09 pm I never wander into random randomness.
:(
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Random Randomness is the corner hangout bar of the sitcom that is OO.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Personally I still get around the Peppa Pig episode my kids watched where the pig family eats bacon…
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 pm Random Randomness is the corner hangout bar of the sitcom that is OO.
I've been gifted the nickname of Cliff Claven before.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was never a fan of Cheers, but I guess that makes me... Frazier? Annoying, but tolerated.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:45 pm
Alefroth wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:09 pm I never wander into random randomness.
:(
Should I start at the beginning?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s a n option. Or a random page.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:13 am Or a random page.
That's fitting.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I never once thought puppy killing would become part of the culture war.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:26 pm
Fauci got there first.

I don't understand this. I don't give two shits about Fauci. It's the right trying to demonize him personally, because it somehow undermines his professional role and judgment.

If Fauci killed his wife and drowned puppies on the weekend, he would have been replaced by someone else with the exact same credentials and medical opinions, because those medical opinions are demonstrably correct. If anything, Fauci should be vilified for not being stronger and more firm in his stance.

So fuck Fauci. I hate that I even know his name. And it's your fault.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Moliere wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:30 pm
This is incredibly stupid. Kristi Noem killing her misbehaving hunting dog to a joke about Trump one-upping her by beating a beagle to death with a golf club to . . . Fauci killed beagles in scientific experiments at the NIH?

Seriously, WTF?

And fuck you for making me look at pictures of dead beagles during breakfast this morning.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Moliere wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:30 pm Doing that would force you both into a cognitive dissonance
Okay, so to sum it up: These two stepped into what you saw as your crosshairs of "cognitive dissonance" opportunities, and you took the shot?
Bleh.

And just to be clear, what is the opinion I should adopt on Anthony Fauci if: I want to be regarded as someone who wants dogs to be treated kindly but doesn't want to equate abusing one's pet dog with every aspect of scientific testing done on animals?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The photo of the 2021 Tunisia beagle sand fly experiment wasn't funded by Fauci or the NIH or NIAID. Politifact found that photo of living (not dead) puppies to be inaccurate, although the AID (not Fauci) had funded two other dog drug studies in the last 10 years involving a parasite and HIV/AIDS. That's probably why only an image was posted, not any analysis.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess it is easy to google, huh?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

When right-wing anti-Fauci memes are cross-posting PETA allied investigations, the bullshit alarm should be activating.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:24 pm I guess it is easy to google, huh?
When googling, it’s best to phrase your question around the answer you want.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:31 pm And that's why, when PETA is used as a source, I tend to ignore it. They have no issue twisting the truth (and ethics) to fit their ideals.
To be fair, when it comes to killing puppies, PETA knows a thing or two. :coffee:
In 2011, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) behaved in a regrettably consistent manner: it euthanized the overwhelming majority of dogs and cats that it accepted into its shelters. Out of 760 dogs impounded, they killed 713, arranged for 19 to be adopted, and farmed out 36 to other shelters (not necessarily "no kill" ones). As for cats, they impounded 1,211, euthanized 1,198, transferred eight, and found homes for a grand total of five. PETA also took in 58 other companion animals -- including rabbits. It killed 54 of them.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just to be clear: you're saying Fauci works for PETA now?
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hell, no.

PETA works for Fauci. :ninja:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Could you guys PM each other, work out the narrative in private, and only then present it here as a fully-formed directive? Watching the sausage being made kinda breaks the spell a little.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

How Michigan Ended Minority Rule.

Needs to happen in several other states as well.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Can't read it but I've lived it. I didn't think it was possible in 2016. And in case I haven't said it enough in all these threads, fuck the Chamber of Commerce who put up roadblocks and fought against rejecting minority rule every step in the courts and lost legal challenges at every step, including all the ones that were put on the ballots.

It's not over yet and lord knows our legislature has a long history of being broken to fix but things look better here. Now people not to get content and stay home or at least vote by mail if they do. ;)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ffs, I knew things were bad, but I didn't realize meat processing plants had virtually no regulation-

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... kes-rivers
“There are over 5,000 meat and poultry processing plants in the United States, but only a fraction are required to report pollution and abide by limits. As one of the largest processors in the game, with a near-monopoly in some states, Tyson is in a unique position to treat even hefty fines and penalties for polluting as simply the cost of doing business. This has to change,” said the UCS co-author Omanjana Goswami.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes. There's a skeleton crew of federal inspectors and the industry is largely self-regulating - because that's what the food manufacturing/processing industry lobbied for decades ago.

At every corner, capitalism continues to deliver.
Maybe next year, maybe no go