2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Tik Tok lawsuit

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Tik Tok lawsuit

Post by hepcat »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:51 pm
hepcat wrote:This is the very definition of a win/meh scenario for me. I really hate tik tok and won't be sad to see it go away. But if it stays, I can just continue to ignore the narcissistic generation it's creating. :D
There aren’t enough tik toks in the world to allow Gen Z to top the Boomers in this department. Also, Tik tok doesn’t make narcissists. You’re just crabby old man. :)
There are more than enough tik tok dance videos to prove me right. We live in a world filled with more people famous for being famous than any previous generation. These are scientifically proven facts. :snooty:
Last edited by hepcat on Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Because your head is so far up your ass that you have shit in your eyeballs. Try cleaning them off, then read what people actually say before you try to prove them wrong with some tangent.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:53 pm Because your head is so far up your ass that you have shit in your eyeballs. Try cleaning them off, then read what people actually say before you try to prove them wrong with some tangent.
So fallback to insult me? Really? How mature.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

hepcat wrote:There are more than enough tik tok dance videos to prove me right. We live in a world filled with more people famous for being famous than any previous generation. These are scientifically proven facts. :snooty:
I was mostly taking a swipe at Boomers, but felt like a public service announcement not minimizing what narcissism actually is might help (it’s not people being famous for being famous, or watching videos).

But perhaps this isn’t the place to explore that trigger. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When did this go from being about tik tok being a potential security risk to an overall discussion about social media platf….

….oh….internet. Sorry, forgot for a second.

Carry on.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:58 pm
hepcat wrote:There are more than enough tik tok dance videos to prove me right. We live in a world filled with more people famous for being famous than any previous generation. These are scientifically proven facts. :snooty:
I was mostly taking a swipe at Boomers, but felt like a public service announcement not minimizing what narcissism actually is might help (it’s not people being famous for being famous, or watching videos).

A need for admiration is one of the defining traits of narcissism.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:02 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:58 pm

A need for admiration is one of the defining traits of narcissism.
And is the name for people who don't like to be admired?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t understand your question.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:53 pm Because your head is so far up your ass that you have shit in your eyeballs. Try cleaning them off, then read what people actually say before you try to prove them wrong with some tangent.
You like to completely ignore whatever people offer that disagrees with you, and make snarky little insinuations that those people aren't smart enough to understand/support genocide/whatever. There is no rational discourse with you. There is your opinion, and there is you explaining why your opinion is the only right answer. That's it. My actively aggressive response pales next to the passive-aggressive crap you've been shoveling for months.

I honestly don't know what you're going for here. You clearly have very little regard for the opinions of the people here, so why do you put so much effort into soliciting them?

In any case, that was wave-off. There's no point in reasoning with a brick wall.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:14 pm I don’t understand your question.
It is hard for me to phrase it.

What is the opposite of narcissism? What is "hate or dislike of admiration" a trait of? Shy? Introvert?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would imagine so. I know that the numerous admiring compliments I get on a daily basis for my tik tok videos makes me uncomfortable.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:20 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 pm
You like to completely ignore whatever people offer that disagrees with you, and make snarky little insinuations that those people aren't smart enough to understand/support genocide/whatever. There is no rational discourse with you. There is your opinion, and there is you explaining why your opinion is the only right answer. That's it. My actively aggressive response pales next to the passive-aggressive crap you've been shoveling for months.

I honestly don't know what you're going for here. You clearly have very little regard for the opinions of the people here, so why do you put so much effort into soliciting them?

In any case, that was wave-off. There's no point in reasoning with a brick wall.
If I don't have any regard of other's opinion, I am not going to try to argue or debate. I'm always try to explain why I disagree on something and to try to defend my opinions because I care about other's opinions. I can accept that I can be wrong, just need to convince me with a fact or a better argument.

But if you think there is no point in reasoning with me. Then feel free to ignore me. Why bother responding to me?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's a feature of narcissism, not the definition. The positive opposite of narcissism is altruism (the desire to help others for their sake.) The negative opposite is echoism (the constant need to help others at the expense of one's own needs.)

The latter is one of my bigger struggles.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:40 pm That's a feature of narcissism, not the definition.
Never said it was THE definition . It is one of the defining traits, as I wrote.

And just to be clear: my calling an entire generation narcissistic was more tongue in cheek than anything. I may dislike Tik Tok for numerous reasons, but I also think social media platforms like Facebook aren’t that bad in many ways. They allow us a connection to others that might not exist in many situations. Long distance family and friends for instance.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:44 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:40 pm That's a feature of narcissism, not the definition.
Never said it was THE definition . It is one of the defining traits, as I wrote.
I wasn't responding to you. ;) I was responding to...
What is the opposite of narcissism? What is "hate or dislike of admiration" a trait of? Shy? Introvert?
...specifically pointing out that the two halves of the question aren't the same. The opposite of narcissism and the opposite of dislike admiration are different things (disliking compliments is most often an indicator of low self esteem - it feels undeserved, as you're not good enough, so it makes you uncomfortable.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Aren’t you the person who complains when people don’t quote what they’re replying to? :P
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:06 pm Aren’t you the person who complains when people don’t quote what they’re replying to? :P
I'm also the person who acknowledges the headaches from when people post something between the response and what it was being responding to.

Both of which I failed to take into account.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No worries. Just razzin’ ya. :wink:
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:59 pm When did this go from being about tik tok being a potential security risk to an overall discussion about social media platf….

….oh….internet. Sorry, forgot for a second.

Carry on.
You're right: Content is beside the point. TikTok can keep right on ticking under new ownership. The issue is whether it's a Chinese spyware/propaganda tool. Both Congress and the administration agree that it is. I'm willing to believe that they probably know more about it than I do.

My nephew regularly posts TikTok videos in our family Facebook channel. I never click on them, because Chinese spyware. Plus his taste in videos doesn't overlap much with mine. :lol:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you want completely focused discussion, you need to have an actively moderated platform. Otherwise the topic is always going to touch on secondary issues (in this case, the suggestion that TikTok was on the same level as YouTube/Instagram.)

No issue is so narrow that there aren't peripheral elements to be considered.
Victoria Raverna

About tiktok vs youtube from content creators (influencers?) viewpoint is that you don't need to have huge subscription for tiktok to recommend/promote your videos. So a smaller content creators have easier playing field in tiktok vs youtube.

Most content creators that make videos for tiktok also have youtube channels, it is just that it is harder to get notice and views. Some content creators use tiktok to attract people to their youtube channels. Same with those that stream on twitch. Tiktok is how they get people to watch them when they started.

I guess that is also why young people like tiktok, it is easier for them to get notice and fulfill their need of admiration. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s my reason for all my dance tik toks.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Victoria Raverna wrote:The evil youtube algorithm promoted that video to my youtube main page and I watched it and thought it might be interesting to share here. Is that not a good thing to do? To post something that is related to the topic?
The lack of awareness that this quote could be used in this thread is pretty entertaining IMO.

VR now reminds me of the mindless zombies in Dawn of the Dead, but posting on social media rather than eating brains in person. No algorithm necessary.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Victoria Raverna

Zarathud wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:18 am
Victoria Raverna wrote:The evil youtube algorithm promoted that video to my youtube main page and I watched it and thought it might be interesting to share here. Is that not a good thing to do? To post something that is related to the topic?
The lack of awareness that this quote could be used in this thread is pretty entertaining IMO.

VR now reminds me of the mindless zombies in Dawn of the Dead, but posting on social media rather than eating brains in person. No algorithm necessary.
LOL. Seriously?

For someone that claimed to be a lawyer, you're a disappointment. What kind of lawyer are you? Ambulance chaser?
Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Wed May 08, 2024 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:04 am If you want completely focused discussion, you need to have an actively moderated platform. Otherwise the topic is always going to touch on secondary issues (in this case, the suggestion that TikTok was on the same level as YouTube/Instagram.)

No issue is so narrow that there aren't peripheral elements to be considered.
The irony is that I'M the one that initially made it about tik tok being annoying for other reasons. :lol:

Also, I want Blackhawk, Zarathud and VR to hug it out. Things are getting way too rough. I'll have my mentat Issie contact you with the details of an upcoming OO summit, along with the square root of pi.
He won. Period.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

hepcat wrote:And just to be clear: my calling an entire generation narcissistic was more tongue in cheek than anything.
My response was meant to be that too (but refocusing it on Boomers).

It’s a hot button topic for me, having suffered at the hands of a narcissist for decades. I didn’t mean to unleash that here. :)

Narcissism is rooted in *intense* self-loathing. I just meant that being in tik tok videos is mostly about wanting attention, it’s not a reflection of that self-hatred that drives narcissists. That’s all.
Make up bags of change
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I'm glad you came out okay. And I'm sure your faith in L Ron Hubbard helped you through much of that.
He won. Period.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

hepcat wrote:Well, I'm glad you came out okay. And I'm sure your faith in L Ron Hubbard helped you through much of that.
I would say I came out. I wouldn’t say I’m okay. :)

I’m still filled to the brim with thetans, and unfortunately my recent transition to federal service makes it more difficult to afford to clear them.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:22 am square root of pi.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Enlarge Image
He won. Period.