Jesus, my eyes!

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

wire

Post by wire »

What about making the Meta Forum only viewable by members? People are going to bitch about these pictures no matter how many times someone says it just feeds the idiot posting them. If they can't read this forum then they don't get the satisfaction.

Unless of course they have made dummy accounts just so they will always have reading access.

I normal lurker probably cares less about this forum than any of the others so it wouldn't impact them.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

I thought the PM solution was elegant. We can adapt it to threads.

No new user can start or reply to a thread until he or she has a history of ten posts.
Over here.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Tareeq wrote:I thought the PM solution was elegant. We can adapt it to threads.

No new user can start or reply to a thread until he or she has a history of ten posts.
How can someone get ten posts if they can't start or reply to a thread?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Enough

Post by Enough »

LOL @ Tareeq.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:

How can someone get ten posts if they can't start or reply to a thread?
That's the beauty of it. They can't :idea: :lol:
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Gotta give my humor detector a kick; damn thing's on the fritz!
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

The problem with the minimum postcount to post images idea is that a new user could act like a legitimate user for a week (contributing to threads), and then drop a CrowleyBomb in EBG with no warning.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Vesper wrote:The problem with the minimum postcount to post images idea is that a new user could act like a legitimate user for a week (contributing to threads), and then drop a CrowleyBomb in EBG with no warning.
That problem applies to any system that doesn't completely lock the forum down now and forbid anyone else from ever joining. Whatever system you put in place, a dedicated person can pretend to be on the level for long enough to get through it, and then do whatever they want.

The question is one of finding the optimal balance point between "ease of joining the site <-------------> barriers to entry that keep out trolls". The farther to the right of that line you, the fewer trolls will be willing to work their way through the system, but the more legitimate users we'll lose to those same barriers. The farther to the left you go, the more quality posters we'll attract, but the more Crowly-like incidents we'll have as well.

So thinking of it as an all or nothing situation is a bad idea. We can't permanently prevent all trolls. It's more of a matter of how hard we want to/should try.

- Ash
Padre

Post by Padre »

We could charge a small fee to join up like they do on Something Awful. I'd gladly pay a couple of dollars to keep reading OO, and maybe it'd help with site costs. Mind you, probably none to easy to set up, but it keeps out the idiots commendablly.

Maybe I'm crazy though.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Most of the problems would go away if we stopped having multi-page threads pop up every time some troll posts pictures or mouths off to everyone. On a previous board I used to frequent that had more traffic than this one, the mod expressly forbid troll discussions and I'm sure that this was a big factor in that decision. Not saying that this should be a rule, but multiple people have suggested ignoring the trolls in the past couple of weeks, only to drown in the multiple "OMG!! I got a nasty picture too!!" posts. It's like people care more about being in some "I got a disgusting pic" club than trying to prevent feeding the troll's need for recognition.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'd support having these threads deleted by the mods once the need to report/warn about the errant behaviour is no longer applicable. Leaving them here doesn't seem to serve any purpose except to stroke the ego of the reprobate who caused the problem in the first place. I suggest this in recognition of the fact that people simply aren't going to be able to resist hopping on the "OMFG - I saw a bad picture!!!" bandwagon.

Sith
Rip

Post by Rip »

Well I like the fact that we work hard to keep OO as open to everyone and lightly moderated as possible. Right now we may not be getting lots of new users, but once a front page goes live and we begin to market the site that could change rapidly. More users/traffic the better.

Limiting topics of discussion is something we do as little as possible. If we took up this kind of policy then we might not be having this very discussion. The fact that we can have these discussions was one of the major things we tried to open up as the transition from gonegold occurred. While our actions are not dictated by community opinion we listen to it very closely. I would prefer to not have to make decisions about stuff like this without having heard(read) what kind of opinion you guys have. You would be suprised how often what I want is swayed by what you have told me you want. Limiting the discussion of any topic in a professional manner is seldom the answer. IMHO.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It's been said before (today, even), but I [heart] Rip. :)

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Rip wrote:Limiting topics of discussion is something we do as little as possible. If we took up this kind of policy then we might not be having this very discussion.
The problem is, this very discussion feeds the trolls. I'm not saying that we adopt some Naziesque topic guidelines, just that in this specific case, troll discussion should be strongly discouraged. If an image is posted publicly, report it via the "Report Post" function. If it's done through the PM feature, a PM could be sent to the mods. Then the mods could post a locked announcement in the Meta Forum saying that the problem has been resolved. The current system is just perpetuating the troll(s).
Lee

Post by Lee »

deleted...never mind, I am just in a really bad mood tonight and posting stupid crap.

Sorry.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
Rip wrote:Limiting topics of discussion is something we do as little as possible. If we took up this kind of policy then we might not be having this very discussion.
The problem is, this very discussion feeds the trolls. I'm not saying that we adopt some Naziesque topic guidelines, just that in this specific case, troll discussion should be strongly discouraged. If an image is posted publicly, report it via the "Report Post" function. If it's done through the PM feature, a PM could be sent to the mods. Then the mods could post a locked announcement in the Meta Forum saying that the problem has been resolved. The current system is just perpetuating the troll(s).
I'm not really concerned with feeding them. If they get fed so be it. We will make it difficult for them to make such attacks and prosecute when/where possible. I'm not about to live my life trying to avoid feeding them. In my opinion the best way to beat them is the same as terrorists. Refuse to let them change you. Overeacting feeds them as much as discussion concerning them.

To sound a little like a politician we will make calculated responses to the conditions as they exist. They will be measured and employed when we deem prudent. :wink:
Odin

Post by Odin »

The Meal wrote:It's been said before (today, even), but I [heart] Rip. :)

~Neal
Wait, wait, you ripped out WHOSE heart? Gah! That's just awful.