Notre Dame - PWNED

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

godhugh
Forum Admin

Notre Dame - PWNED

Post by godhugh »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1937879

So, they fire a good coach with a ton of integrity, expose themselves as just another football factory, and destroy the whole "Notre Dame is different" mystique so they can get College Football's current Golden Boy (tm)....and Meyer stiffs them.

It's so beautiful it makes me want to cry...
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

That'll teach them to steal Stanford's coach.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Pwned indeed. That is outrageously hysterical! :lol:
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Notre Dame makes Touchdown Jesus cry.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

SANCTUARY!!!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

That rules!

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Mr. Fed- WORD.

Here's my thinking. Meyer just saw a respected coach, who only coached three years, had a VERY respectable record, get canned. Canned before he could coach with the players he recruited. Now given they canned him to hire Meyer... but wouldn't it occur to Notre Dame... just a little bit, that maybe Meyer wouldn't want to work in a place that would do that to it's football coach?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So he stiffs his players to go to a bigger and better program in Florida? Notre Dame got pwned here no doubt, but it's the players as usual who get screwed. Both in Notre Dame and Utah.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote:So he stiffs his players to go to a bigger and better program in Florida? Notre Dame got pwned here no doubt, but it's the players as usual who get screwed. Both in Notre Dame and Utah.
Screwed? Because they have a new coach?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Well, you're screwed when you think you're going to be playing for one coach, and getting used to said coach, and then you're not going to, and when you are recruited to play for a specific coach, and coming for the specific reason of playing for that coach. That's the problem.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Willingham uses a West Coast offense right? From what I understand, that's a pretty rigid system.

The seniors at the very least are the ones screwed.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

SuperHiro wrote: Here's my thinking. Meyer just saw a respected coach, who only coached three years, had a VERY respectable record, get canned. Canned before he could coach with the players he recruited. Now given they canned him to hire Meyer... but wouldn't it occur to Notre Dame... just a little bit, that maybe Meyer wouldn't want to work in a place that would do that to it's football coach?
Not that almost every college doesn't do that....

For example, Meyer's new home - Florida!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Eel Snave wrote:Well, you're screwed when you think you're going to be playing for one coach, and getting used to said coach, and then you're not going to, and when you are recruited to play for a specific coach, and coming for the specific reason of playing for that coach. That's the problem.
Is that something like your boss getting replaced, or a new teacher? I think screwed is a little bit overboard.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

So he stiffs his players to go to a bigger and better program in Florida? Notre Dame got pwned here no doubt, but it's the players as usual who get screwed. Both in Notre Dame and Utah.
The problem with that logic is that it would be very hard for a coach to ever leave a job. He has to be able to recruit or else he would really screw over the school and its football program. At least Utah will have a core of players to build upon.

Slightly off-topic, I can't believe that some sposrtswriters (*cough*Kornheiser & Wilbon*cough*) are pissed at Ole Miss for firing Cutcliffe. Sure, his record may have been decent, but Ole Miss was never a power in the SEC under him and he was terrible at recruiting, especially considering he had Eli Manning to build upon for 4 years.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
The problem with that logic is that it would be very hard for a coach to ever leave a job. He has to be able to recruit or else he would really screw over the school and its football program. At least Utah will have a core of players to build upon.
Ok, might be reaching talking about the Utah players. But players come in with the expectation that that their coach will be around at least through the end of his contract. At Notre Dame that isn't happening. With so many schools competing for talent and so many schools offering similar programs, players often make their decision based on the coaching staff. But when a coach leaves for greener pastures or gets fired before the end of their contract, players are screwed. They lose a year of eligibility if they transfer. At the very least, eligibility penalties should be waived when coaches leave prematurely.

MYT
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

So is the utah guy gonna stick around for utah's bowl game?
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

It's time for the Irish to return to the coaching traditions that made them great.

Rumor has it Lou Holtz is back on the market.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Hey now, where did those nice Clemson and USC student-athletes learn how to fight like that?

They learned it from watching you, Ron! They learned it from you!

When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.