Movie critic quotes

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

khomotso

Movie critic quotes

Post by khomotso »

If there's an award for movie critic quote of the year, I want to nominate Anthony Lane's review of Alexander:
Alexander, born in 356 B.C., was the son of King Philip II of Macedonia and Olympias, one of his many wives; or, to put the matter in its most startling form, Colin Farrell is the son of Val Kilmer and Angelina Jolie. Wow. Given parentage of that calibre, the boy was never going to be your basic, middle-income Macedonian. Either he was going to conquer nation-states all the way from Athens to India, engraving his name in history, or he was going to wind up running a club called Oedipussy on the wrong end of Mykonos.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Writing reviews and coming up with quotes like that would basically be my dream job.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

A few choice ones from Roger Ebert:

Swingers:
Sometimes I get this Whitmanesque vision of America. But instead of wheat fields and mighty cities and deep lakes stretching from sea to sea, I imagine a vast number of coffee shops. And in these coffee shops, urgent conversations are taking place. Here's Mickey Rourke in Baltimore, talking with Kevin Bacon in ``Diner.'' And Quentin Tarantino, on Santa Monica Boulevard, writing down ideas for ``Pulp Fiction.'' And Andy Garcia, in Denver, rehearsing for ``Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead.'' And Pacino and De Niro, out near the LA airport, acting in their first scene together in ``Heat.'' And Marc Andreesson, in Urbana, inventing a surfer for the World Wide Web. . .
Suburbia:
There is, I believe, a seductive quality to idleness. To be without ambition or plans is to rebuke those who have them: It is a refusal to enlist in the rat race, and there may even be a sad courage in it. But what Linklater sees is that it is so damned boring. Life without goals reduces itself to waiting.
Armageddon:
Staggering into the silence of the theater lobby after the ordeal was over, I found a big poster that was fresh off the presses with the quotes of junket blurbsters. ``It will obliterate your senses!'' reports David Gillin, who obviously writes autobiographically. ``It will suck the air right out of your lungs!'' vows Diane Kaminsky.

If it does, consider it a mercy killing.