Morrowind Help Please

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Poleaxe

Morrowind Help Please

Post by Poleaxe »

I reloaded this one with thoughts of hitting some of the things I missed last time. Unfortunately, I have no save game. I figured I would make a character using cheat codes, but...

When I bring up the console and type:

player-> setlevel 22

then press enter, the line turns purple and nothing has changed when I exit the console.

What am I doing wrong?
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Did you try saving and restarting? Some commands require a restart. Otherwise is Morrowind case sensitive? You could try Setlevel or SetLevel.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Be careful with that command - if I am not mistaken, that will up your level and things directly based on level, but it won't up your skills and statistics the same way leveling up normally will.

That means you'll be fighting level 22 enemies with level 1 stats and skills.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Blackhawk wrote:Be careful with that command - if I am not mistaken, that will up your level and things directly based on level, but it won't up your skills and statistics the same way leveling up normally will.

That means you'll be fighting level 22 enemies with level 1 stats and skills.
Well, there are other commands to raise stats, but since I got stuck on this one I haven't tried them yet. There are save games you can download floating around the net, but most of them have maxed characters. Really I just want to get to a reasonable level and go hit some of the places I've read about but haven't been to.
Fitzy wrote:Did you try saving and restarting? Some commands require a restart. Otherwise is Morrowind case sensitive? You could try Setlevel or SetLevel.
I didn't try to save and restart, but I'll give it a shot tonight.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

if you're willing to cheat the fool proof way is probably to cheat yourself a big pile of money and buy training.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Meghan wrote:if you're willing to cheat the fool proof way is probably to cheat yourself a big pile of money and buy training.
Then I would have to travel around to the trainers, and let's be clear I've already played the main quest to completion so I feel fairly justified in being "willing to cheat."

Kathode, where are you buddy?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Try taking out all of the spaces between the beginning and the number:

player->setlevel 22

Then manually increase your primary/secondary skills between two and ten points each per level, totalling ten points max per level. IE - raise five of them two, or one of them ten, times 21 if you are level 22.

Short version: At level 22, you would have 210 skill points to spend on your primary skills, with a maximum of 210 for any single skill.

Then manually raise your stats. You will normally gain between 3-15 points per level to assign, three seperate stats each time, a maximum of five points per stat. During normal play, you will get, perhaps, two stats at +2 and one at +3 or +4 per level. You normally only get +5s if you are power-leveling. Also note that Luck can't be raised by more than one point per level, so by 22 you could raise it by 21 points, max.

Short version: At level 22, you will have had between 63 and 315 stat points. An average, played normally character will have about 150 points to split up amongst their stats. The 'power gamer' maximum would be 105 points per stat, max. The 'average', balanced character would be about 70 points per stat, max.

I'm not sure how hit points per level would work on a character leveled up by cheat codes - you might ask on the official forums, or your character could end up significantly short on health (IE - it may not go up, or may go up based on your starting stats only).

That will get you a character with stats that match its level, as if you had earned those levels normally. It won't be perfect - in normal play, the stats raised is based on the skill raised (IE - you wouldn't get a high strength putting all your practice into magic skills). Make sure you cheat yourself some decent weapons and armor, too.

Meghan's suggestion is actually easier, but longer - just cheat your self a huge pile of gold, keep the Trainer Guide handy, and train each skill you want one level at a time until you are at the level you want. With the teleport cheat ( COC "balmora") you can go straight to each one. When you get the message to rest, rest for an hour and train again. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to get up to 22 if you focus on your primary skills.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

exactly, Blackhawk. And using the trainers means it's less likely for something to accidentally go wrong with either your input or within the game's variables.

Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Good points. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

How do you enable the console? when I press ~ I get no response.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

are you pressing ~ or ` ? I use ` and it opens just fine. Try this - check your hotkeys and see if it wasn't accidentally set to something.

ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

No, its wierd. I can't bring down the console no matter what. I hit ` and nothing happens. I've tried it when starting a new game, I've tried resetting the controls to default. Nothing.

Maybe its one of the 70+mods I have installed.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

do you happen to have an international keyboard? link

ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

Meghan wrote:do you happen to have an international keyboard? link
I don't, but it did end up being my keyboard. I use a Memorex USB keyboard, and it just doesn't work. I pulled out an old ps2 keyboard and then I could pull up the console. Strange.

Is there a file with all the key bindings in morrowind? I would like to use this keyboard but change the console to a different key.

I'm also going to try and hook this keyboard up with the usb to ps2 adapter and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT - Using the ps2 adapter worked. Shrug. To bad I did a total uninstall and reinstall of morrowind to figure out it was not the install. :( now for hours of mod installs.
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I have a new question and I don't want to start a new thread.

Is there a way to get "unstuck?" I was walking along a fence when my character go stuck on it. I tried jumping, running, walking and crouching to no avail.

Is there a console command to move you over a few feet or something like that?

I did end up using a scroll to teleport me to a temple, but that really sucked because it took me somewhere I've never been and wasn't ready to be there (Vivec)
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

you can try opening the console and typing

fixme

it might take a couple tries for the game to place you clear. Fences have this issue sometimes.