Half Life - I beat it at last

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

The Mad Hatter

Half Life - I beat it at last

Post by The Mad Hatter »

It was pretty fun overall - the Source engine upgrade made it look fairly good and the three way battles were cool. There was way too much jumping around though. I really hope that's been toned down in the sequel, I hated all that bounding about.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I have no idea what that means.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Odin

Post by Odin »

Now you need to get the Blue Shift and Opposing Force expansions and beat those too! :) Lots of good fun to be had there - what a classic game!

Sith
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

When I first played the original HL, I was amazed at how long it was. I have no idea how many levels there were (I guess there really weren't 'levels' so to speak), but it seemed like I played it forever.

The original NOLF struck me the same way.

I wish they still made FPSs that long.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Unfortunately Blue Shift, is MIA for the moment. Can't be played via Steam at all.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Demosthenes wrote:Unfortunately Blue Shift, is MIA for the moment. Can't be played via Steam at all.
True, I believe it's being modified for the Source engine. Opposing Force is there and I've loaded it up, but I'm having a tough time dealing with the old graphics. Half-Life in Source was pretty nice; Opposing Force definitely is showing its age.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

The screencap is from the Pixar short shown before The Incredibles that featured a jackalope espousing the joys of bounding. It was a reference TMH's bounding comment.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I thought I remembered something about Blue Shift being done with a different publisher, so they couldn't get the rights to provide it via Source.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
The screencap is from the Pixar short shown before The Incredibles that featuread a jackalope espousing the joys of bounding. It was a reference TMH's bounding comment.
You know, I had successfully forgotten about that short until you brought it up.

Bastard.

:wink:
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

ImLawBoy wrote:I thought I remembered something about Blue Shift being done with a different publisher, so they couldn't get the rights to provide it via Source.
I just thought it was created on a different version of HL1 than all the others so they had some trouble porting it to steam, along with the AWOL but awesome Hi-Def pack.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That could be. I just looked at my copy of Blue Shift, and it is published by Sierra like the original and OpFor.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Odin

Post by Odin »

Same publisher, different developer as I recall. The name eludes me, however, and I'm far too lazy to go down to my game archive and look it up. Apparently I'm also too lazy to do a web search for it. Huh.

Sith
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Developed by 'gearbox' same as OpFor. I'm pretty sure its an engine version issue. Valve has commented that they will eventually get around to putting it on Steam.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Giles Habibula wrote:When I first played the original HL, I was amazed at how long it was. I have no idea how many levels there were (I guess there really weren't 'levels' so to speak), but it seemed like I played it forever.

The original NOLF struck me the same way.

I wish they still made FPSs that long.
Talk about long FPS's -- ever play Unreal? :)
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

bluefugue wrote:
Yes, but never finished it. I got stuck on some level where there were all these wooden walkways in this room(or rooms) with water underneath, and got hopelessly lost and confused and frustrated. Saved the game and quit. Then it got deleted a year later. When I finally felt like finishing it one day, I just could not muster up enough determination to play the thing through all over again up to that point.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

The puzzle jumping was definitely, and I think nigh universally agreed to be, the weak link in the original HL. I was very glad to see that they listened to us for the sequel.
rrmorton wrote:Image
LOL! :lol:

I loved that short almost as much as The Incredibles.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Demosthenes wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:I thought I remembered something about Blue Shift being done with a different publisher, so they couldn't get the rights to provide it via Source.
I just thought it was created on a different version of HL1 than all the others so they had some trouble porting it to steam, along with the AWOL but awesome Hi-Def pack.
In order to do some of the things they did in Blue Shift, they made some heavy modifications of the engine and system itself. That is what has prevented it from being imported - HL/OpFor were just a matter of adding the content to Steam; BS would involve a bunch of reprogramming.

I do believe, however, that there is a way to have a standalone HL installation just for Blue Shift on the same machine as a Steam HL install.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Giles Habibula wrote:
bluefugue wrote:
Yes, but never finished it. I got stuck on some level where there were all these wooden walkways in this room(or rooms) with water underneath, and got hopelessly lost and confused and frustrated. Saved the game and quit. Then it got deleted a year later. When I finally felt like finishing it one day, I just could not muster up enough determination to play the thing through all over again up to that point.
The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure the level you were stuck at was around the Temple of Chizra, which is very early into the game. :wink: