Totally impossible to win Warcraft 2's last map?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

martindemon

Totally impossible to win Warcraft 2's last map?

Post by martindemon »

I have done all of them maps without any problem. I did not even sweat. This is my 4th pass through warcraft 2 (I really like the game :) ) Now, before I got the battlenet edition, I was able to win the last map. Now I just don't. I mean, that map is now 100 times more difficult than the one before it. No exageration. I tried it at least 15 times with same result: easy extermination by computer. In fact he wipes me out without a sweat. With LOTS L O T S of dragons.

So I begin with 6-7 knights, 6 footmen, 6 archers or so, 2 mages 6 peasants and 2 catapults. Also have one big boat and 2 cannon elvish boats. I put all warriors in boats and launch an attack to establish myself the fastest way possible: a rush at the heavily protected shore. I waste the boats on the towers and a few ogres while I discharge the passenger boats of warriors as fast as my mouse can do it at slowest speed setting in warcraft 2. few perish but many are harmed. The first mine is gained and there is enough place to build a stronghold and necessities while I attack the upper occupied place where the enemy was installed. First problem arises in the form of 3 dragons.
Note that I have only 6 archers and 2 mages and no mean to build any archer for a long time because I have no farm! I must kill the remaining boats if some remains because I need the food! I go to seek the remaining peasants (5) on the original island but they are already attacked by a dragon!! I scatter them and lost 2 in the process of loading them in the transport to bring them at my future base. 4 archers remain after the 3 dragons are slain. I must also build a lumber mill to have towers for next dragons.
Fast forward 2 minutes of very slow speed playing, 3 more dragons are comming! I had a mage and 4 archers left but at the end, only 2 archers remains, which is OUTSTANDING for what I had! Well, I think it was! But not for him! That BASTARD of an updated warcraft!
2 minutes later, my lumber mill is finished and the firsts 2 towers are built (I already tried to build the barrack before but I think I did not have enough power because archers are less powerful than towers.) 3 more dragons show! That is 9 dragons in something like 6 minutes and I am very fragile, and was just finished establishing myself and I don't have enough farms and so I die because my towers were not upgraded to guard and even then, that would not have been enough. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :evil: I JUMP on blizzard's head for making such a broken last map. Anybody successfully beat the last map of the battlenet edition?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It's been awhile but I'm sure I finished the Alliance campaign in the B.Net Edition. Is this in the Dark Portal expansion? I don't remember any of the maps being too hard in the orginial campaign
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I remember I cheated the **** out of that scenario, otherwise I'd NEVER have finished.

I think you have to micromange the archers to make sure they survive the dragons if you don't want to cheat.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

Yes, micromanaging the archers all the time could work at slowest setting, building the base in the same time with my 15000 and 65000 gold mines while the fully grown enemy bases rain dragons and death knights on my head could work but my gripe is that that last level is way harder than the ones just before. Otherwise the game is wonderful. Anyway, I got the CD out and I'm trying to choose another for my last day off :)
Thunderspark

Post by Thunderspark »

I haven't played the battlenet version, but I was able to beat all the missions back when I did play warcraft 2. If I remember correctly, I used a lot of archers to take out the dragons (I think I may have chosen them over towers because they're mobile) while I upgraded to gryphons. I may also have used some mages for polymorph (if I remember correctly, polymorph then was permanent unlike in warcraft 3). That allowed quick elimination of dragons without loss of units. I think I only used the mages for defense. I don't actually remember what the mission was, but I think that was the strategy I used for a lot of the later missions.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Jumps in his way-back machine...

I remember using towers, lots of towers. I think that my boats (those elven ones) held off a wave or two of dragons initially, giving me enough time to get a lumber mill and some towers up. I think that you and also repair the towers as they dragons are breathing on them if you position your peons in the right spot, as in off to the side of the dragon's ae breath. If i recall, the enemy AI tends to go for your units that are closest to it, so be sure to have those elven boats close to your base and up a little higher on the map.