Farscape

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

mdsmith

Farscape

Post by mdsmith »

Is anyone planning to watch the Farscape miniseries on Scifi tonight and tomorrow night ? I'm kind of curious to see how it goes. Will the long layoever affect the show ? Only one way to find out I guess. Well, off to work.
Flatlander

Post by Flatlander »

Been looking forward to this since the horrible way Sci-fi ended the series by making it look like Crichton and Aeryn were killed.

Anybody know if Zhaan is going to make an appearance in the miniseries?
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'm planning to watch, but I'm not hugely excited about it. I didn't really think the final season of Farscape was up to the standards of the prior seasons, and I'm assuming the mini-series will be along the same lines.

As for Zahn, I think if she were returning that would be a big enough deal that they'd have shown her in the previews as a tool to draw in fans of the early seasons.

Sith
Flatlander

Post by Flatlander »

You're probably right Sith, but I'm still holding out some hope that they'll sneak that big blue babe in somehow. :)
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

They might but I thought that the reason she left was that the makeup they used was doing her serious harm.

Anyway, I'll be watching tonight. Been waiting a long time for this.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I am definitely planning to watch it, although I have a hockey game at 9pm so I'll have to tape it or catch a rerun.

My VCR (from 1991) doesn't work so well now that our cable system has upgraded to digital, so I'll probably catch it another night. Luckily Sci-Fi isn't going to show this only once.
JayG

Post by JayG »

I can't wait. Living in Europe, I'll have to download both parts, but I' m sure it will be something special (otherwise I wouldn't bother)

Farscape was a classic series, and I just wish they showed it over here. I brought the first series as an impulse buy, and was hooked.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

I'm not sure if I'm that excited about it, but I'm Tivoing it and I'll watch it later on.
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Pretty good show tonight. I didn't get into Farscape until the last season, so there are still alot of things I don't understand, but I thought the first half of the mini-series was pretty good. It was good to see the crew back together. Looking forward to the wrapup tomorrow night.

Grifman
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I recorded it but only caught a few minutes here and there. It all looked good to me though... almost as though they'd never left.

I was sad to hear this "mini series" is only two nights though, but I guess I'm just grasping at straws. I don't know if I'd say it was the "best" science fiction show but for me it was cetainly the most consistently entertaining. Still a shame the series got canned early.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

It was awesome to see the old gang reunited. I was initially thrown by the new Chiana, and a bit disappointed, since I was thinking that they had gotten the entire cast back together. But, giving credit where credit is due, it's obvious that the new girl has studied very hard. She's really done a good job of making her movements look like Chiana. Only the voice and the face are different, but hey, nothing she can do about that.

And it was wonderful to Harvey back in action.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Odin

Post by Odin »

The first half that was on tonight had some good points, but it wasn't what I'd call great. On the plus side, it was a LOT better than the last season of the show, so I'm still pretty happy with it. Looking forward to part 2 and hopefully some real excitement.

SPOILERS

So D'argo's kid shows up and rescues them from a slow, agonizing death exposed to space, and they're like "oh, hi." WTF? It's like they went out of their way to make the first half of this thing as dull as possible.

Sith
Odin

Post by Odin »

Little Raven wrote:It was awesome to see the old gang reunited. I was initially thrown by the new Chiana, and a bit disappointed, since I was thinking that they had gotten the entire cast back together. But, giving credit where credit is due, it's obvious that the new girl has studied very hard. She's really done a good job of making her movements look like Chiana. Only the voice and the face are different, but hey, nothing she can do about that.

And it was wonderful to Harvey back in action.
Dude, check the credits. That was Gigi Edgely in the (lt blue) flesh. Same ol' Chiana, they just did something funky to her wig.

Sith
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Sith Lord wrote:Dude, check the credits. That was Gigi Edgely in the (lt blue) flesh. Same ol' Chiana, they just did something funky to her wig.
:shock: Oh my goodness. You're right.

What the heck happened to her voice?!?
Odin

Post by Odin »

Little Raven wrote:
Sith Lord wrote:Dude, check the credits. That was Gigi Edgely in the (lt blue) flesh. Same ol' Chiana, they just did something funky to her wig.
:shock: Oh my goodness. You're right.

What the heck happened to her voice?!?
Heh, actually I thought it was Rigel's voice that sounded a little off at first. Maybe they're just doing something funky with the sound in post-production or something.

Sith
DD

Post by DD »

OK, I've been catching bits of Farscape as I'm feeding my newborn son at 2:00 am - can someone give me the Reader's Digest version of what the hell this show is all about?

Gracias...
Odin

Post by Odin »

Well, I need to hit the sack so I won't go into my usual level of detail, but...

John Crichton is an astronaut who gets shot through a wormhole and ends up on a living ship filled with escaping alien prisoners. In the first season, this was Moya/Pilot (the ship), Ka D'Argo, Dominar Rygel, Zhaan, and Aeryn (a former Peacekeeper - the people who had been holding the others prisoner and who owned Moia). When he arrived on the scene, Chrichton accidently caused a Peacekeeper fighter to be destroyed - this was the brother of their first main nemesis Crais (a peacekeeper commander).

Crais chases them around for a while through various adventures. Moya is found to be pregnant with a genetically-engineered baby gunship. Eventually, Crais has a falling-out with the PeaceKeepers and ends up tearing around the galaxy in command of the gunship (Talyn, named by Aeryn after her father).

Along the way, Zaan (who is actually a plant, as it turns out) leaves but others join, like Chiana (who I think had been a slave or something), Noranti (a crazy old woman with an eyeball in her forehead), Stark (a dude who wears a mask to cover the fact that half of his face is a weird super-bright light that he can use to heal people and stuff), Jool (a wacko whose screams can melt metal) and so on. They get a new enemy - Scorpius, who manages to implant a mental version of himself inside Chrichton, in order to try to learn the secrets of wormhole tech that some aliens stuck in his head and locked away. Scorpius also has fallings-out with the PeaceKeepers, cometimes joining forces with the Moya crew. Crais and Talyn blow themselves up to destroy a PeaceKeeper command carrier and let the others get away (Talyn was going nuts anyway and crais was mentally linked with him).

Mayhem ensues. That's pretty much the super-condensed version of the whole four or five seasons.

Sith
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Yeah the sound did seem off with a few of them, at least at the start with Rygel and Chiana. The only big diff I noticed with chiana was the new eyes. Also, was it me or did Pilot's voice sound different than normal? Pretty good show so far though.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Ranulf wrote:Yeah the sound did seem off with a few of them, at least at the start with Rygel and Chiana. The only big diff I noticed with chiana was the new eyes. Also, was it me or did Pilot's voice sound different than normal? Pretty good show so far though.
I didn't notice a difference with Pilot's voice, but then he didn't have many lines either. Interestingly, I read once that Pilot is voiced by the same guy who played Crais.

Sith
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Sith Lord wrote:I didn't notice a difference with Pilot's voice, but then he didn't have many lines either. Interestingly, I read once that Pilot is voiced by the same guy who played Crais.
Yup, Lani Tupi is a talented guy. My brother, who has been working his way through the Farscape DVDs, just learned a few days ago that Crais and Pilot are played by one and the same. He just can't wrap his mind around that. Pilot sounds nothing like Crais.

I went back and watched some old Season Two last night, and I guess my mental image of Chiana had just deteriorated somewhat, but I still think her voice sounded funny.
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Saw this last night. Liked it mucho.

SPOILERS:

Anyone else catch the CGI Rigel eating a clownfish in the opening sequence? Guess he found Nemo . . . :)

The whole idea that Peacekeepers really are from Earth is pretty cool.

Rigel being pregnant is silly. They can reassemble John and Aeryn from space marbles, but throwing the kid back in Aeryn's womb is too risky? And how the heck did the kid reassemble itself back in Rigel's belly, anyhow? I realize the show is more science-fantasy than sci-fi, but still, the whole thing is just ridiculous.

That Jool(sp?) chick was incredibly hot in the scene where she captures John.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

This is out? Damn, I haven't even seen the first season.
Head

Post by Head »

Part one was fantastic. High production values. The script, directing, acting and music was close to perfection. Speaking of music. If you're a real fan, you can pick up THE PEACEKEEP WARS soundtrack from here and also listen to some samples: http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Farscape.html

~Head
Elaine: Oh, hey, listen, by the way, have you seen a tall... lanky...
doofus, with a, with a bird-face and hair like the Bride of
Frankenstein?
Usher: Haven't seen him.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Well, part II was definitely a big improvement energy-wise over part I.

Still, one major complaint

Spoilers

A friggin breach? For crying out loud, why is it that ANYTIME a woman gives birth on a TV-show, it's always a freaking breach. It's just such a cop-out.

Beyond that, I liked it a lot (though granted I'm only halfway through it at the moment).

Sith
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Great show, great windup to the series. The story was great, the action non-stop, I knew where the ending was going but it was still great going there. Loved as always the pop references ("I hear dead people") and the homage to "2001: A Space Odyssey". Pretty good way to go out when it was all done.

Grifman
Odin

Post by Odin »

Grifman wrote:Great show, great windup to the series. Pretty good way to go out when it was all done.
Yeah - no question. This was how Farscape was meant to end. Glad they had the chance to wrap it up.

Sith
disarm

Post by disarm »

i really think that's the first (and last) time in the history of the show that they really gave any real closure to a major storyline...bringing back surprises from the past was one of the things that made FarScape great. that said, this mini-series was an absolutely great way to wrap things up.

i'm just disappointed to know that it really is over now...
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

I thought it was a pretty cool ending. Granted, I've never actually watched the rest of the show, but I did enjoy the last 4 hours.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I hope they'll release it on DVD.
Head

Post by Head »

:( Wow-Wee, now I really miss Farscape. I hope they put this on DVD soon. Great, great ending.

~Head
Elaine: Oh, hey, listen, by the way, have you seen a tall... lanky...
doofus, with a, with a bird-face and hair like the Bride of
Frankenstein?
Usher: Haven't seen him.