Elite: Dangerous

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Stuie

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Stuie »

noxiousdog wrote:Can someone (preferably near the top of the first page) start a friends list?

I'm using noxiousdog.
Yes, please! My ign is Stuie.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I no longer get annoyed at the process of decelerating out of supercruise now that I'm using this great rule of thumb that's been floating around:

Keep full throttle until your ETA gets to 7 seconds, then adjust your throttle as necessary to keep it at 7 seconds. You'll slow down to the blue exit markers just about as efficiently as possible without overshooting your destination.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I am Cortilian friend me up
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm W1ntermute, but still playing solo, as I don't know how easy it is to get griefed.

I got a contract to snoop around a crash site looking for some tech. I get to the system and it's absolutely empty. I supercruise around for about an hour and discover a planet and some toxic waste. Is there any way to increase your chances of finding what amounts to a needle in a haystack?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Damn, I just had another awesome experience in this game with the Rift. Since the game's official launch I've only been flying in the Cobra MkIII, which while a fine ship on its own has a limited cockpit view. Today I bought the Type 6 despite not originally intending to do so (trade profits were slowing down with only 60 tons of maximum potential cargo space in the Cobra even after stripping out all non-essentials, like shields), and boy am I glad that I did. The increased cargo space is one thing (mine is currently at 104 tons, and can be increased further to 112 if I strip out the shields), but it's the cockpit that truly shocked me.

The instant the game loaded me into the new cockpit with the Rift on my head, I just had to start laughing in joy at how awesome it all was. The cockpit gives you nearly 180 degrees of horizontal visibility, which is nice in and of itself, but other ships have that. It also allows you to see nearly straight up, another feature many other ships have (not the Cobra though, and certainly not earlier haulers). What truly separated it from other ships I've seen was the ability to look down. The cockpit sticks out from the ship somewhat, so you're sitting on a small "pedestal" with windows both beneath and above you. This gives a tremendous view of your surrounding area, and a real sense of vertigo as you fly through space stations or look down on planets you're flying over. I can only imagine what it will be like landing on a planet with this thing. The visibility is so good that I no longer have to look at my instruments to land. I can simply lean forward in my seat and look down to observe the landing pad beneath me, something I've been completely unable to do with other ships.

I also tried the same ship without the Rift, but it's just not the same. It's impossible to describe just what this experience is like. I can look up and see the glass above me, and realize just how tall the cockpit is. The Type 6 is tall indeed. Like three men standing on each other's shoulders. Other cockpits are cramped in comparison. This is something you just can't tell without VR. I can glance over my shoulder to see the cockpit door behind me (which we'll be able to actually walk through as the game continues to be developed), or look to my sides to see the Lakon status displays with their prominent logo.

I can't wait to jump back in to fly a few more trade runs with this thing. The game just got awesome again, even though I'm doing the same thing as before.
Insert witty comment here.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Anyone know how to locate a warzone?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

You mean in general, or when you're in a system? It's my understanding that all you need to do is go to a system at war, and you'll find war zones on your contact list as soon as you enter. I believe such systems will list their status on the galaxy map. I believe one such system is Ho Hsi, where NeoGAF has apparently dedicated all their efforts towards instigating a civil war (successfully, I might add). After the faction they supported got sufficiently powerful, a civil war broke out and conflict zones started spawning all across the system.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

OK thanks. Yeah I'm wanting to take my viper out to a warzone and shoot up some stuff.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OO Effect has struck again! My new joystick showed up in the mail (oddly, there's a "As Recommended By Hark" sticker on it, strange :wink:) so I decided to make the plunge and pick this up.

UPDATE: Just FYI, I got the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stick. Feels very nice. Must figure out how to use in ED...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Here ya go:

BTW this is the setup I use for my Logitech 3D Pro. https://app.box.com/s/0wk3kwsc7jykw44z45j4

Here's what the buttons do (not my invention)

Forward thrust = A
Backward thrust = Z
Open/close Galaxy Map = M
Rotate Galaxy Map = left mouse button & mouse movement
Zoom Galaxy Map = mouse wheel
Toggle Rotational Correction = C
Toggle Lights = L
Engage/Disengage SuperCruise = J ²
Engage/Abort Hyperspace = H ²
Look around = right mouse button & mouse movement
Navigation/Contacts Panel = 1
Comms Panel = 2
Systems Panel = 3
Radar Panel = 4
Reset Focus (return to 'normal view') = Left Shift
Next Tab in Panels = E
Previous Tab in Panels = W
Quick Comms = Spacebar
Deploy/Stow Weapons = Enter
Next Firegroup = .
Previous Firegroup = ,
Toggle Silent Running = Del
Deploy Heatsink = V
Increase Scanner Range = PageUp
Decrease Scanner range = PageDown
Power Distribution = Arrow keys (SYS = left, ENG = up, WEP = right, balanced = down)
Eject all cargo = D

And Joystick functions:
Pitch/Roll/Yaw = Y/X/Z -axes, Z-axis = stick twist (for Yaw)
Throttle = Throttle (forward only)
Toggle Reverse Throttle = Button 12
Primary Fire / Deploy Hardponts = Trigger (Button 1)
Secondary Fire = Thumb Trigger (Button 2)
Select Target / Select Menu Item = Button 3 (bottom left button around hat switch)
Cycle Next Subsystem = Button 5 (top left button around hat switch)
Cycle Next Target = Button 5 (top right button around hat switch)
Boost = Button 4 (bottom right button around hat switch)
Lateral/Vertical Thrusters / Move Cursor in Menus = Hat Switch
Toggle Flight Assist = Button 11
Toggle Landing Gear = Button 9
Toggle cargo Scoop = Button 10
Fire Chaff = Button 7
Use Shield Cell = Button 8
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the help! I've been puttering around the Frontier forums and have found some more information, which I'm reading while I'm waiting for the game to download. I've already watched the YouTube tutorials. Can't wait to get started :horse:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Try VoiceAttack, it's amazing, especially combined with the hcs voice pack.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

How do I take screen shots and where are they stored?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm curious about the staying power on this game. I have put in a lot of hours already, but I'm getting a bit bored as I figure things out.

Screw trading with your sidewinder. Go bounty hunting instead. Find an easy to land at station, and jump into supercruise. Slow way down and watch you contacts list for "unidentified signal." Drop out of supercruise on it. Kill anything that says WANTED. Be careful not to hit any authority ships and make sure before you shoot someone you have fully scanned them to WANTED. You can also pick up some bulletin board missions to supplement.

This works because the unidentified signals are completely random and centered on your ship and the speed of your ship. So if you're at the minimum speed of supercruise, you can typically disengage immediately.

Picking up any cargo is marked "stolen" which I think is ridiculous. Maybe you should pay a salvage fee, or get a salvage license, but know if you pick up stuff in deep space you're going to have to take it to a black market. Another pain: When you get "kill X missions" you'll typically get "if you abandon that mission, we'll give you cash." When you get the counter mission, it seems to reset your kill count whether you listen or not.

I'm running mouse and keyboard and it works fine. I am enjoying Voice Attack, and would like to enhance it further.

I'm guessing I'll get about 50-80 hours out of it, so it's money well spent, but I'm a bit disappointed I'm getting tired of it already.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

noxiousdog wrote:I'm curious about the staying power on this game. I have put in a lot of hours already, but I'm getting a bit bored as I figure things out.
This is a game that, while released, is still under development. It's going to grow tremendously. Things in the pipeline for the next few months includes stuff like 25-30 new playable ships (IIRC) and real multiplayer support for friends who like to play together, and much more is waiting for us. Planetary landings are supposed to be out in 2015, for example.

The game in its current state is a fun skeleton of where it's supposed to go in the future. I've read all the design documents the developer team posted during development, and going from memory alone, here are some things they supposedly intend to include in the near future. Keep in mind that as with all design documents, some of this may have changed since it was written.

- Contact-driven gameplay. You build relations with NPCs instead of generic interfaces, gaining their support and trust in order to gain access to more of their services or missions. This is a system they intended to cover the majority of the game, but I don't know the current state of it. For example, the way it's intended you won't be able to just get into the black market on any random station you visit. You have to earn your way in through your contacts.
- Docking with capital ships. They've already got docking bays for this purpose.
- Aliens. Specifically, one alien race that has been part of the Elite universe since the first game.
- Much more robust shuttle services. You should be able to build a career on transporting people instead of goods, which requires a different approach from what we have now. You'll have to outfit your ship (and pick a suitable ship type) for the kinds of people you'd like to transport. Low-ranking people get crammed together in cheap bunks with the basic necessities needed to survive (and don't you dare touch that life support toggle, or you'll be trying to sell off "mystery meat" at the local black market), while VIPs get spacious, luxurious suites. Passengers may give you missions while on board, which could seriously diverge you from your intended destination. Ties into the contact system. As you get more and more respected, you may start being asked to transport some seriously important individuals within the ongoing story, which gives you the power to make your mark on history in a way that other players will notice. Other players will probably be really (un)happy when you "accidentally" kill their favorite contact.

There was much more than this, but it's been a few months since I read it. These things are stickied at the official forum, I believe.

For the long term, we're also going to get planetary landings (as mentioned) and the ability to both move around inside your ship and leave it to engage in first-person adventuring and combat. The devs have mentioned big game hunting, among other things.

Much of this will come in the form of free updates, while the more significant updates will be paid DLC.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

First of all, I don't know if this has been linked here before, but on the Frontier forums I found a thread with a great Elite: Dangerous Pilot's Guide/Manual/Tutorial/Help 200 page PDF available for download that's been helping me a lot.

I got ED downloaded last night and played till 4:30am :D. First of all, felt all giddy inside when the game analyzed my hardware and said I could run at Ultra High graphics :mrgreen:. Makes my Falcon Northwest worth every penny.

All those hours put in playing air combat sims and Descent also paid off, as in my solo campaign I got jumped by what I assume was a pirate and I beat the bugger :shock:. I attribute this to all that reading I did in books like Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering by Robert L. Shaw (rule #1, roll your lift vector vector towards the target and pitch!). The game ran smooth, no glitches and looks awesome.

I did have a couple of senior moments (more than moments :roll:) like when I flew all around a system trying to approach a starport because I forgot to click "Select" when pointing at it. I also hadn't assigned any buttons to moving left and right in the Locations table, so I spent a lot of time assuming there was no way to highlight individual locations :doh:. But I'm getting the hang of it.

I can kind of see noxiousdog's point about staying power of the game, although if the new content that TiLT mentions is coming it will extent my playing time. Heck, if I get sixty hours of entertainment out of the game I'll be happy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote:I attribute this to all that reading I did in books like Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering by Robert L. Shaw (rule #1, roll your lift vector vector towards the target and pitch!).
This book didn't make it off my wishlist for Christmas, so I may be purchasing it in the near future.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Have we discussed trying to setup an OO private group yet?

As I understand it we just setup the group and when you play in that group online you will only encounter other players in that group. Might be a fun way to play together without mixing up with the rest of the rabble out there.

I can agree with ND's point as well... there's only so much to really do currently, even if the combat is fun and the visuals great. Personally I've been treating the game as something lightweight-ish I can play in the evenings. It's sort of become my European Truck Simulator, but prettier and in space. :)
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Just to clarify, I do highly recommend the game. I'm not stopping any time soon.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sepiche wrote:It's sort of become my European Truck Simulator, but prettier and in space. :)
Absolutely! There's a lot more depth to it (I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of understanding all the ship systems) but all it needs is some music coming over the sub-ethernet radio as you cruise your way to Vogon.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Let's hope someone sets up an Internet radio station covering this game, with music and commentary, including breaking news about wars, market situations, and so on.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

TiLT wrote:Let's hope someone sets up an Internet radio station covering this game, with music and commentary, including breaking news about wars, market situations, and so on.
That would be awesome. Get on that stat! :horse: :horse:
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Having a great time so far, despite running out of gas last night hehe.

Would love to play in an OO group.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Is there a way to map the cockpit view to the POV hat switch of the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick such that it works with the Left Control + POV? I tried it by setting that combo in the Option/Controls but it didn't seem to work. I have the hat switch set up right now for lateral and vertical movement and I'd like to keep that.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

You know, this daily rebooting of the servers at 2am Eastern time is a bit inconvenient, as that's prime playing time for me :ninja:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I guess I should have tested out the private group stuff before mentioning an OO group... apparently you can't name them anything besides your name right now, but I setup a Sepiche group that anyone on my friends list can join and I'll probably start playing in that group when I play.

I'm currently transporting goods along the Federation - Empire border from Baedule to Kappa Reticuli and back. It's not the greatest route I've ever heard about, but it's close to 1000/ton round trip and the stations only take 5 minutes or so to go between. Hoping to get a little bounty hunting in today though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2 wrote:Is there a way to map the cockpit view to the POV hat switch of the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick such that it works with the Left Control + POV? I tried it by setting that combo in the Option/Controls but it didn't seem to work. I have the hat switch set up right now for lateral and vertical movement and I'd like to keep that.
I asked earlier in the thread about looking around the cockpit with the hat and Ale told me this....

""My hat is used for power management (I didn't set it). I think there might be a head look toggle that will enable the hat switch to look around.""
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Daehawk wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:Is there a way to map the cockpit view to the POV hat switch of the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick such that it works with the Left Control + POV? I tried it by setting that combo in the Option/Controls but it didn't seem to work. I have the hat switch set up right now for lateral and vertical movement and I'd like to keep that.
I asked earlier in the thread about looking around the cockpit with the hat and Ale told me this....

""My hat is used for power management (I didn't set it). I think there might be a head look toggle that will enable the hat switch to look around.""
Toggle free look is mapped to the middle mouse button by default. I'm sure you can re-map it as desired.
tgb

Post by tgb »

noxiousdog wrote:I'm curious about the staying power on this game. I have put in a lot of hours already, but I'm getting a bit bored as I figure things out.
This is my great fear. The OO/Qt3 effect has been strong on this one, and every morning when I wake up I think about pulling the trigger but 2 things stop me - a)the knowledge that I really don't need a new game right now, especially not one for $60 that will eventually go on sale, and b)the probability that I'll get bored with it and move on to something newer and shinier before ever getting over the learning hump.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I haven't been following this at all and stumbled on a youtube video of it by mistake. Now I'm trying to stop myself from buying it. The trackir support looks awesome and well I already have it so the more games that support it the better. 8-)

The only bummer is that my stick is just a plain jane Logitech 3D Pro. I see others here using it so that's encouraging. I just don't play very many complicated games that would require a nice HOTAS to justify it anymore. Once my willpower breaks I see how it works with this stick before trying to figure out a middle of the road upgrade. :mrgreen:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote:The only bummer is that my stick is just a plain jane Logitech 3D Pro.
This stick would work fine. I find myself assigning most functions to the keyboard anyway. I would think that unless you are using an Oculus Rift the keyboard plus a simple joystick would be fine, no HOTAS needed.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh right I totally forgot about the fact that he can't see the keyboard. :lol: That's good, as I have 100 bucks sitting in paypal right now and I didn't want to spend it all. :mrgreen: I'm guessing I can map some stuff to the hat switch since I wouldn't need it for view control with trackir. The voiceattack thing sounds cool and I need to look that up. My headset has a built in mic so that would be pretty sweet. If my wife doesn't divorce me for talking to the computer that is.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I use the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro and it works just fine, it's great actually.

To be honest I barely use half of its buttons.

I picked up VoiceAttack and the HCS voice pack (awesome) and so many, or even most, of what I would use on the joystick I just tell the AI which then responds appropriately.

I'll mostly use the stick for shooting of course and afterburner. I'll also use it for throttle control when dogfighting or docking--otherwise I tell the AI what speed I want.

I'll often use it to cycle targets as well since I sometimes grow tired of saying 'next target' or 'highest threat' over and over.

I use VoiceAttack for:

Throttle control (except as noted above) 0%, 25%, 75%, 100%
Jumping to Hyperspace
Engaging Supercruise
Deploying / retracting landing gear
Deploying / retracting weapons and hardpoints
Calling up the galaxy map
Deploying / retracting cargo scoop
Chaff
Heatsinks
Zooming the scanner
rigging for silent running
lights
Targeting (unless I have several targets in which case I use the stick)
..others I'm not recalling
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That voice thing sounds so cool. I'm going to try it out this weekend with some other games. :dance:

Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I've been using Voice Attack for the game as well, along with one of the free additional voices available from Microsoft. I programmed a ton of in-game key bindings as well as a bunch of custom responses for when I start swearing at the game. Adds a whole dimension to the game... much more immersive. If you're going to drop $60 on the game, you might as well splurge and pay the $8 for Voice Attack. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Considering there's plenty of other games where it could be useful, 8 bucks seems like a bargain.

This is freaking impressive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAHiz2Fdu7Q

Wow okay I tried the demo for 5 seconds and I'm sold. I said the word map. Clicked on it and set it to the letter M. Loaded up Wings Over Flanders Field and it worked perfectly. It took like 5 seconds. This is brilliant! :mrgreen:

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I decided to put together a video demonstrating VoiceAttack and the HCS voice pack with Elite Dangerous.

My goal was to just take off from a station, navigate to a point and then return, but on the way back I got interdicted and it led to a fight (and 16k in my pocket!).

Hopefully this will give a better idea of what can be done to minimize keyboard usage and increase immersion.

This is my absolute first video ever so apologies for the amateur presentation, especially the scratchy audio. I've since figured out better settings to increase the quality but I think this will generally get the message across.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Where do I start?

I took the leap and amassed a ton of links to user guides, tutorials, videos, guides to keybinding, etc. etc. It's almost too much information, and I'm starting to suffer analysis paralysis.

Should I just forget about all that stuff right now and start with the basic tutorial?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Varity

Post by Varity »

Redfive wrote:I decided to put together a video demonstrating VoiceAttack and the HCS voice pack with Elite Dangerous.

My goal was to just take off from a station, navigate to a point and then return, but on the way back I got interdicted and it led to a fight (and 16k in my pocket!).

Hopefully this will give a better idea of what can be done to minimize keyboard usage and increase immersion.

This is my absolute first video ever so apologies for the amateur presentation, especially the scratchy audio. I've since figured out better settings to increase the quality but I think this will generally get the message across.
I enjoyed your video, thanks for posting!

Near the end of your fight with the python, there were lots of objects on your radar. I suspect that most of them might have been dropped cargo containers. Maybe you can take a closer look next time and make some extra cash?
tgb wrote:Where do I start?

I took the leap and amassed a ton of links to user guides, tutorials, videos, guides to keybinding, etc. etc. It's almost too much information, and I'm starting to suffer analysis paralysis.

Should I just forget about all that stuff right now and start with the basic tutorial?
I'm currently not a player, but I'd recommend the in game tutorials to learn the very basics.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

tgb wrote:Where do I start?

Yes, I would say get flying. Maybe do one or two tutorials and then take it for a spin.

I will admit it was a little daunting at first but seeing the videos about what could be done, especially with some of the 3rd party items (see my video above) kept me motivated.

Once I gained a handle on the basics the fun factor began to take over.