2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

2023 Republican House Follies

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: 2023 Republican House Follies

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:41 am
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:59 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:48 pm
Defiant wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:18 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:42 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:55 pm a GOP moderate
Periodic reminder that 'GOP moderate' is an oxymoron.
We might see a few of the new Republicans act moderate, as some were elected in districts that Biden won by over 10 points.
Hello, Representative Young Kim from California's 40th congressional district.
Voted against Trump's 2nd impeachment. Claimed voter fraud sans evidence. Not a moderate. Try again.
Talk about the perfect being the enemy of the good! Three days after being sworn in, Young Kim voted to certify the election results, but because she advocated for censuring Trump but wouldn't join the Dems to impeach her party's outgoing, lame-duck President, she's part of the radical right? You've got to be kidding me.
On January 3, 2021, Kim was sworn in to the 117th United States Congress.

On January 6, 2021, Kim voted to certify Joe Biden's Electoral College victory, declining to support Republican-led efforts to contest the results.

On January 13, 2021, Kim voted against the second impeachment of Donald Trump. She said she supported censuring Trump but not impeaching him.

On February 4, 2021, Kim joined 10 other Republican House members voting with all voting Democrats to strip Marjorie Taylor Greene of her Education and Labor Committee and Budget Committee assignments in response to controversial political statements she had made.

On February 25, 2021, Kim voted against the Equality Act, a bill that would prohibit discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation by amending the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Fair Housing Act to explicitly include new protections. In a subsequent statement, Kim stated that she believed that all people should be treated with respect and given equal opportunities, but justified her vote on the grounds that the bill "undermines Americans’ religious freedoms, limits protections for people of faith and opens the door to ending the decades-long bipartisan Hyde Amendment."

On February 27, 2021, Kim joined all Republicans to vote against the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, a $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill, citing lack of bipartisanship and criticizing the bill for only having 9% of the funding directly going toward combating COVID-19, with most of the aid not spent until 2022.

Kim is rated among the most centrist of Republican representatives by Govtrack, based on patterns of sponsorship and co-sponsorship of legislation with Democrats. She voted opposite to the majority of the Republican caucus on several key votes, among them the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act and a bill to delay spending cuts in Medicare and other services. Kim voted with the majority of the Republican caucus 96% of the time.

As of June 2022, Kim had voted in line with President Joe Biden's stated position 27.3% of the time.
Is Young Kim getting Bernie Sander's endorsement? Probably not. But sure as shit, she seems like a moderate to me, especially in today's GOP.
Someone that voted against the Equality Act is considered the most centrist? I think you proved Zaxx's point pretty well.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:52 am It's not winning elections,
But it is. The GOP has just crippled one half of Congress, it controls more states than do the Dems, and it has SCOTUS in its pocket. They're going to have to do worse than that before reformers can purge the trump taint or a new party can take their place, because they're going to hold onto power for a long time on the strength of inertia and indifference.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:41 amIs Young Kim getting Bernie Sander's endorsement? Probably not. But sure as shit, she seems like a moderate to me, especially in today's GOP.
This is the problem. Young Kim isn't a moderate by almost any standard before say 2010. Just because someone is an outlier -- but only by a few ticks -- in a *radical* national party doesn't make them a moderate.
Come on. That's simply not true. There aren't many. Their numbers are much diminished after the last midterms, but there are still some moderate GOP members of the house. I cited two above that I think have been in office long enough to be considered if we were looking for a moderate GOP Speaker, but there are others. Let's not be hyperbolic.
Let's accept that Kim is actually a moderate which again...I simply don't agree but let's stake that. Against that balance there were 221 other GOP members of the House elected in November. 154 of those people are election deniers. Now some are likely only fronting that but that's ~70% who baseline openly don't accept normal democratic values. A member or two doesn't balance those sort of books.
Also, I don't have a clue what you're hoping for (if hope is actually a thing you do, malchior :wink: ). If there's no chance of the GOP swinging back to a more moderate version of itself -- and don't hit me with "the GOP has always been this radical" bullshit -- then what is there?
They haven't always been radical. The Republican party who nominated a good man like Bob Dole however simply doesn't exist any longer. Unfortunately at this point it's not about hope. It's about acknowledging reality. There is simply no path to moderation right now. You can wish for more Young Kims but there is unfortunately simply no demand for them amongst the people who matter - which is an electorate that in huge numbers supports this radical party.
The current GOP is the dictionary definition of dysfunctional. It's not winning elections, except under the narrowest of circumstances.
Just to push back a little with some hard numbers. They got a majority of the votes in the House for Congress in 2022. In real numbers, 54,506,136 voted for GOP folks who were predominately election deniers. 51,477,313 voted for Democrats. Nearly 2 years after the vast majority of these same politicians gave cover to someone trying to overturn an election for President.

Sure it wasn't as big a swing as normal but despite being this dysfunctional and this radical a good chunk of folks offered them a mulligan on 1/6. And sure several terrible candidates lost. That necessary binary however steps over a lot to worry about. Some of the worst barely lost. Could a less damaged person than Walker but just as terrible policy-wise won in Georgia? The data would support...yes. Every other Republican outperformed him by significant margins. They don't want someone *that bad* but they'll just accept bad. That's not a lot to pin hope on.
It can't govern. It has no real, binding ideology. It's a husk of a party. This country can't go on like that.
On this we agree but there doesn't appear to be an off-ramp to the radicalization we see right now. Every time people claim the fever has broken we get a reminder that it isn't.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is so much fun:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The fact that this abject moron from Colorado has become such a visible face of American politics and wields such considerable power over the rest of us never ceases to infuriate me.

But that's precisely why she's there, I suppose. Stigginit to us librulz
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s proof the Republican Party represents only themselves, not the country. Let them eat each other’s faces.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

The GOP has proven it has been party over people for a long time but this is different. If this was a parliamentary system, what's happening right now is essentially the negotiations with another party for a power sharing agreement. McCarthy would rather kowtow to radical hardliners than work with sane people. If McCarthy does become Speaker then he will likely have to give the rebels a lot of power to do so.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:48 am The GOP has proven it has been party over people for a long time but this is different. If this was a parliamentary system, what's happening right now is essentially the negotiations with another party for a power sharing agreement. McCarthy would rather kowtow to radical hardliners than work with sane people. If McCarthy does become Speaker then he will likely have to give the rebels a lot of power to do so.
If it was a parliamentary system honestly this part would probably look pretty similar, except that the 20ish rebels would be part of the Freedom Party or some such. Either way he'd be negotiating over what concessions to make to radicals to get them on board with him being the leader.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:50 am
malchior wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:48 am The GOP has proven it has been party over people for a long time but this is different. If this was a parliamentary system, what's happening right now is essentially the negotiations with another party for a power sharing agreement. McCarthy would rather kowtow to radical hardliners than work with sane people. If McCarthy does become Speaker then he will likely have to give the rebels a lot of power to do so.
If it was a parliamentary system honestly this part would probably look pretty similar, except that the 20ish rebels would be part of the Freedom Party or some such. Either way he'd be negotiating over what concessions to make to radicals to get them on board with him being the leader.
Yeah I was just contextualizing. The real boil down is that he is much closer to the radicals than the Democratic party which essentially now stretches from the 'old' center right to the left. And a lot of people either support it or don't really get how radical their agenda is.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

"Frankenstein created a bunch of mini Frankensteins," or, trumpism without trump.
When former president Donald Trump on Wednesday morning urged Republicans to save Representative Kevin McCarthy’s flailing bid for House speaker, Florida GOP Representative Matt Gaetz quickly defied him.

“Supporting McCarthy is the worst Human Resources decision President Trump has ever made,” Gaetz wrote on Twitter, adding a Trump-style coda for dramatic effect. “Sad!”

As the day wore on, Gaetz and 19 other rebels ignored Trump and handed McCarthy another series of humiliating defeats, depriving the top Republican in the House of the full complement of votes he needs to claim the speakership and fulfill the chamber’s basic functions.

The protracted fight lays bare both the power of the hard right and the depth of its disdain for the transactional political style of McCarthy, a California Republican. But the battle is also revealing the limitations of Trump’s ability to reel in his allies and the burn-it-all-down political style he nurtured as his party’s standard bearer. It’s an indication that, following his own defeat in 2020 and those of key candidates he endorsed in last year’s midterms, he has lost control of the forces he unleashed.
To be sure, the defiance on display from the House’s antiestablishment wing predates both Trump’s presidency and his entry into national politics as a candidate. It has roots in the Tea Party backlash to the Obama presidency and the GOP speakership of Ohio Representative John Boehner. McCarthy himself aborted his 2015 effort to become speaker when Boehner stepped down because of opposition from the conservative House Freedom Caucus. Most of today’s rebels are part of that same group.

“This has been a long time building and a long time coming, the tension on the far right with leadership,” said Brendan Buck, a Republican strategist who was an aide to Boehner and his successor, former House speaker Paul Ryan, who also struggled to keep the Freedom Caucus in line.

But Trump’s brand of bomb-throwing, grievance-fueled politics was an accelerant that rewarded the headline-grabbing defiance of members like Gaetz, Representative Lauren Boebert of Colorado, and Pennsylvania Representative Scott Perry .

“If Donald Trump taught these people anything, it’s that fighting is rewarded,” Buck said.
“By allowing Trump-ism to fester, McCarthy and GOP leaders blew another lay up and barely squeaked out a House majority,” said Geoff Duncan, a Republican and the outgoing lieutenant governor of Georgia, on Twitter. “By trying to have it both ways, McCarthy lost the trust of both the right and the middle. Now he’s a man (and a party) without a plan or a path forward.”

Or, as former Illinois representative Adam Kinzinger, a Republican, put it in his own Twitter post: “McCarthy’s failure is what happens when you compromise with legislative terrorists.”

The impasse in Congress has left both McCarthy and Trump looking diminished. It is clear that they both still believe they need each other — but not whether that will be enough.

“Trump is just not the 800-pound gorilla that he used to be — maybe he’s a 400-pound gorilla now,” Curbelo said. “He’s still an important figure but his support is no longer decisive and he can no longer command Republicans the way he used to.”
For the moment, we have no functioning House. And isn't that what the hardliners want? This is non-governance in its purest form.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:57 am For the moment, we have no functioning House. And isn't that what the hardliners want? This is non-governance in its purest form.
That's my sense. The don't want to govern. They want to watch it burn. The party of "no" has been usurped by arsonists. I'd say that they are welcome to their version of Sinema and Manchin but when the party gives in, it's much more dangerous.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It sounds like McCarthy is throwing out all sorts of resolutions to the hard right. Since that fringe isn't going to let anyone get elected who doesn't fully side with their lunacy, would the Democrats have been better off throwing McCarthy a few votes before he made the concessions, pulling the rug out from under the extremists?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

They’re back at it today. What do we know about this freshman from Michigan giving a nomination speech for McCarthy? John James, I think.

Again, why are they doing this unless McCarthy has secured the votes? James is delivering a nice speech, but it’s not going to move the rebels. Theater?
Last edited by Kurth on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McCarthy probably has it. What are the alternatives?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Too funny that the jackass nominating Donalds is trying to cheerlead for electing the first Black Soeajer of the House, and the Dems all jump their feet chanting “Hakeem, Hakeem.”

It is chaos. And I can’t believe this nominating speech for Donalds. “It’s all about race.” Wow. Clowns.

Edit to add: From the reactions to those floor speeches, it certainly doesn’t seem like anything has changed. Appears to be the same group of 20 holdouts who continue to holdout. Guess we’ll see in a few minutes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And McCarthy goes down again.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I mean obviously they are going to have to pivot to another person at this point. They could just keep on doing this forever for anyone though. So we have that going for us.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:44 pm I mean obviously they are going to have to pivot to another person at this point.
The problem is McCarthy. He is apparently single-minded about this. He is the type of asshole who thinks he was born to be Speaker. He jumped the line into leadership because he brought a lot of cash into Congress. It's also why these rebels hate his guts.
They could just keep on doing this forever for anyone though. So we have that going for us.
They might. As much as the media is ginning up all the deal making...it doesn't matter if the core rebels don't give up.

Edit: And Gaetz voted for Trump. I suspect that's symbolic saying we disagree on McCarthy but I still believe in you.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Who did Gaetz vote for? Looks like “Other” on the NYT tracker.
Matt Gaetz of Florida just voted for Donald J. Trump for speaker, possibly an olive branch after the former president has been encouraging the restive defectors to back Kevin McCarthy.
Here we go.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I was wondering how long that would take before it happened. I really need to get my passport renewed. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:49 pm Who did Gaetz vote for? Looks like “Other” on the NYT tracker.
Matt Gaetz of Florida just voted for Donald J. Trump for speaker, possibly an olive branch after the former president has been encouraging the restive defectors to back Kevin McCarthy.
Here we go.
If they put Trump's face on the trackers that'll be my cue to officially start drinking.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:53 am This is so much fun:

The lack of awareness by Hannity that he helped create this situation by his support of the extreme MAGA crowd is humorously ironic.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:54 pm
Kurth wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:49 pm Who did Gaetz vote for? Looks like “Other” on the NYT tracker.
Here we go.
If they put Trump's face on the trackers that'll be my cue to officially start drinking.
It’s not quite 10:00 AM here. Is that too early? Cause I’m about ready to start right now. Just when I think the crazy can’t get anymore crazy, it does.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TFG ascending to House speaker on 1/6/23 would be something, eh?
It’s not quite 10:00 AM here. Is that too early? Cause I’m about ready to start right now. Just when I think the crazy can’t get anymore crazy, it does.
I just had a glass of Laphroaig with my lunch, if that helps? Granted it's 12:45pm..
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Speaking of self awareness:

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:56 pm TFG ascending to House speaker on 1/6/23 would be something, eh?
I just had a glass of Laphroaig with my lunch, if that helps? Granted it's 12:45pm..
A Laphroaig lunch? Well done. :clap:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I bet Rump will get like 15 votes in round 8. It's like breaking the seal when drinking.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:44 pm I mean obviously they are going to have to pivot to another person at this point. They could just keep on doing this forever for anyone though. So we have that going for us.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:04 pm I bet Rump will get like 15 votes in round 8. It's like breaking the seal when drinking.
Or breaking a seal in Diablo 2.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So he made a bunch more concessions and didn't gain a single vote. Any sane person would realize this isn't going to change. So this will go on for a few more weeks I guess.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:27 pm So he made a bunch more concessions and didn't gain a single vote. Any sane person would realize this isn't going to change. So this will go on for a few more weeks I guess.
I just heard some talk that they want this to go into the weekend because they want these people to hear from their constituents and put pressure on them. Good luck with that. Yeah the people who elected a sex trafficker, folks who attended white nationalist events with Nick Fuentes, and other absolute loons are surely going to give them a stern talking to about this situation. :lol:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:22 pm McCarthy probably has it. What are the alternatives?
How would he have it?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:39 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:27 pm So he made a bunch more concessions and didn't gain a single vote. Any sane person would realize this isn't going to change. So this will go on for a few more weeks I guess.
I just heard some talk that they want this to go into the weekend because they want these people to hear from their constituents and put pressure on them. Good luck with that. Yeah the people who elected a sex trafficker, folks who attended white nationalist events with Nick Fuentes, and other absolute loons are surely going to give them a stern talking to about this situation. :lol:
I read there's more incoming fire from constituents in deep red districts aimed at GOP members SUPPORTING McCarthy than complaints directed at the Taliban 20. Crazy times.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:55 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:39 pm
I read there's more incoming fire from constituents in deep red districts aimed at GOP members SUPPORTING McCarthy than complaints directed at the Taliban 20. Crazy times.
That's not surprising. If you wade into the muck over at Twitter, you see that the far right is utterly convinced that they're doing God's work and that they are True Patriots. They literally believe McCarthy (and McConnell, FWIW) are the exact same as Democrats (who are of course, in turn, pawns of Soros and assorted other "globalist" forces. JFC), and they'd rather have a nonfunctioning (or nonexistent) government that allow the "rhinos" (sic) to win. We're dealing with fucking lunatics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

These nominating speeches are ... something. "Every institution has been captured by the leftists". Ok. Sure.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Boebert gave a mini-speech during her vote (which ended up being for Kevin Hern) which led to what appears to be a shouting match for some time.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Randomly picking people that have no shot is a solid way to do things.

malchior

Post by malchior »

We'll see what happens when Hern votes. If he switches it'll be bedlam. I literally saw someone sprint off the floor when it happened so it meant something to someone.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And the 8th swing and a miss.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As humorous as it all is (and I do find it funny), when the GOP is this motivated against their own party it's telegraphing quite loudly that they're going to be an even bigger problem with this fever breaks and they're focusing their attention on outsiders.
Maybe next year, maybe no go