THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Dungeon World Play by Post

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

TheMix

Re: Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by TheMix »

We didn't need a rogue anyway...

Tackle: 2D6+2 = [1, 3]+2 = 6

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Since he's not in control of his actions, NPC like makes sense. For more regular PVP - probably have them roll against each other, highest wins (Gorran's tackle vs Scoop's defy danger).

Just my $.02 on the matter.

As I do not trust the thief, don't think I'd be to close to him. If the druid is in animal form and needs to communicate with us though, I still have my telepathic bond with him.

Xalthen moves to intercept Scoop and tries to use his staff to trip the mind controlled thief. (Hack&Slash?) - obviously won't be necessary if Gorran succeeds.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

OK I am going to take a bit of licence here. Scoop is a skilled thief after all. So when Gorran leaps at him and misses Scoop leaps ahead of everyone and rushes out into the darkness a log from your campfire lighting his way.

Linked to his mind, Halwyr senses that the thief is desperate to reach a lake in the tunnel you didn't take with the roaring sound
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:If Scoop does run off I will sit down with one of my books that I just remembered concerns combating Aboleths.
Spout Lore not sure what the book does so I'm rolling versus my INT alone:
1,3 + 2 = 6
I really hope that book gives me a bonus. :(

Also, I just remembered I took a -1 to magic going forward until I rest so the spell should be an 11 instead of a 12. I don't think that matters though.
He's not gone yet - he can be caught. If you end up rolling you get a +1 on yoroll for the book
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I still have my light stone - am I able to intercept/catch up and try to trip him with my staff? That a Hack and Slash roll? (Once he's down can I try to knock him out with a swift, stout blow to the head or something?)
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Ok lets drop into wolf form and try to pounce on him until the rest of the gang can secure him.

ok cant seem to roll due to some error on coyote code thing. The rolls arent showing up. Tried it a few times and didnt work. Will try again in a bit.

oh when i do pounce, i take pains to avoid that slime stuff. I hope the mage or cleric have some way to negate that stuff also.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Newcastle wrote:Ok lets drop into wolf form and try to pounce on him until the rest of the gang can secure him.

ok cant seem to roll due to some error on coyote code thing. The rolls arent showing up. Tried it a few times and didnt work. Will try again in a bit.

oh when i do pounce, i take pains to avoid that slime stuff. I hope the mage or cleric have some way to negate that stuff also.
The cleric knows of one surefire way to end Mind Control effects... :twisted:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:I still have my light stone - am I able to intercept/catch up and try to trip him with my staff? That a Hack and Slash roll? (Once he's down can I try to knock him out with a swift, stout blow to the head or something?)
Narratively, I think the quick thief in leather armor will outrun the priest in chainmail. Luckily you have a druid in wolf form that easily runs him down, and with a quick pounce knocks him off his feet for the rest of the group to restrain him.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Hmmm... knew I should have taken that "no armor" ability. :)

Now that we have restrained him, I reflect on my experiences, lessons and notes for freeing mind-controlled people...
Spoiler:
Spout Lore - break mind control (int): 2D6+1 = [5, 1]+1 = 7 - how fortunate for Scoop I probably didn't conclude bashing his brains in was the only solution!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Using a wet cloth Halwyr will examine Scoop for slime and remove it being very careful not to allow any to come into contact with his skin. While doing this he will try to use the telepathic connection to communicate with Scoop and/or the Aboleth.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

"Knowing about this slime, we should check each other over carefully to make sure no one else got slimed. And keep an eye on each other for weird/suspicious activity. Particularly until we get Scoop restored, want to make sure none of us has touched his slime."
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:Hmmm... knew I should have taken that "no armor" ability. :)

Now that we have restrained him, I reflect on my experiences, lessons and notes for freeing mind-controlled people...
Spoiler:
Spout Lore - break mind control (int): 2D6+1 = [5, 1]+1 = 7 - how fortunate for Scoop I probably didn't conclude bashing his brains in was the only solution!
I am putting this on hold as Halwyr stated he was doing it first.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:Using a wet cloth Halwyr will examine Scoop for slime and remove it being very careful not to allow any to come into contact with his skin. While doing this he will try to use the telepathic connection to communicate with Scoop and/or the Aboleth.
You know from your education that the slime is just the means that the aboleth to exert mind control. Once it is established it doesn't need the slime anymore. You also know that they have an awesome alien intellect and perhaps contacting it via telepathy might not be a good idea.

Just as a FYI wizards are capable of magical rituals besides casting spells. You could say that you want to dispel the mind control, draw some arcane symbols on and around Scoop then channel your magic (2d6+INT)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:Using a wet cloth Halwyr will examine Scoop for slime and remove it being very careful not to allow any to come into contact with his skin. While doing this he will try to use the telepathic connection to communicate with Scoop and/or the Aboleth.
You know from your education that the slime is just the means that the aboleth to exert mind control. Once it is established it doesn't need the slime anymore. You also know that they have an awesome alien intellect and perhaps contacting it via telepathy might not be a good idea.

Just as a FYI wizards are capable of magical rituals besides casting spells. You could say that you want to dispel the mind control, draw some arcane symbols on and around Scoop then channel your magic (2d6+INT)
Is this something the Cleric could "aid another" to assist him with?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:

Then this is what we shall do.

Ritual to dispel mind control:
5,1 + 2 = 8

If I have a jar or something to store it in I will put some of the slime in a sealed container and store it carefully away for later research.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sure, as a GM of a system where I get to have bad things just happen for no reason other than bad dice rolls (and it makes sense), I am sure your wizard has a breakable glass container in his pack to carry the mind control slime in. It's not like it'll ever break :P

Seriously, you do and while it could break it'll have to really make sense and even then it's probably losing it's potency and it would still not be near bare skin (unless you reach in and it's broken...hmmmm :twisted: )

The ritual is a success, but it's going to take longer than you thought. If you use it to break the control, then neither you or Scoop will get any rest tonight (-1 penalty on CON checks). That means no healing and Scoop can't level. Sorry, but you got a 7-9 so that's the cost of the ritual.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Then I take it aiding him was not an option?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

No rest for the wicked then.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Remus West wrote:No rest for the wicked then.
Not so concerned about your con penalty, but you are already under a -1 ongoing spellcasting. That might be more of a concern?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You could always choose to rest for the day, although Xalthen knows the wizard wanted the mushrooms as fast as possible
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

IceBear wrote:You could always choose to rest for the day, although Xalthen knows the wizard wanted the mushrooms as fast as possible
wonder if i dropped into bat form if i could scout ahead through most of the tunnels to find the ones we're looking for, so that way the party could rest; while i do all of the scouting so we know where we are going instead of blindly going up and down 4 tunnels here. The other option is we go back tunnel w/ the roaring sound since scoop needed to go there; not sure why we'd want to though.
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Again, not a bad idea, but keep in mind the scale of these tunnels. You could fly down one for most of the day (and bats are probably a diet staple for many creatures) before finding where it goes. The cleric's goddess is probably the fastest and safest bet.

It's not to say that you might be able to eliminate a couple of tunnels in hours but maybe not and maybe you could get into trouble with no one close to help you
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Unless we want direct contact with the Aboleth I suggest we avoid the watery sounding tunnel. I'd suggest we all grit our teeth and ask the Cleric to not screw us too badly by seeking divine guidance.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Remus West wrote:Unless we want direct contact with the Aboleth I suggest we avoid the watery sounding tunnel. I'd suggest we all grit our teeth and ask the Cleric to not screw us too badly by seeking divine guidance.
The cleric is confused? You don't want me to seek divine guidance or you just want me to not seek out more XP when I roll for the guidance?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zenn7 wrote:
Remus West wrote:Unless we want direct contact with the Aboleth I suggest we avoid the watery sounding tunnel. I'd suggest we all grit our teeth and ask the Cleric to not screw us too badly by seeking divine guidance.
The cleric is confused? You don't want me to seek divine guidance or you just want me to not seek out more XP when I roll for the guidance?
I'd like you to avoid gaining any xp when asking for guidance. :lol:
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

It seems like scouting as a bat is feasible or an option considering we have the cleric here. Should he fail his next roll in the search for more xp, well then i can scurry around in bat form to look for this magical shroom.

Sooo...i say rest, get up and running so whoever doesnt have the penalty; that way we can clean up scoop. If we rest i'll take the third shift and drop into wolf form prior. So will roll at appropriate time.

Are we waiting on the cleric to ask for guidance?
Bayraktar!!!!

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In the morning, after Hylwar fixes Scoop, I cast guidance. Then we can camp out again for the day and see if we find any help on where the batty druid should scout. (And recover from whatever happens if I should roll poorly). I am no longer under -1 penalty for casting and we should all be at or near full health and I have Cure LIght Wounds back as well as some new tricks.

"Corina, I beseech your guidance in uncovering the secrets going on here, of these 4 tunnels which is the best one to take for getting to the mushroom we seek?"
Woot, no XP!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

OK, who rolled the bad roll that killed the GM? :doh:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm assuming that life got in the way for a bit. He'll be back when it calms down.

Or maybe the Goddess just really takes her time...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Zenn7 wrote:OK, who rolled the bad roll that killed the GM? :doh:
that's your department :wink:
Bayraktar!!!!

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

TheMix wrote:I'm assuming that life got in the way for a bit. He'll be back when it calms down.

Or maybe the Goddess just really takes her time...
Now I just envision IB out somewhere setting up a LARP cave, painting flowers or something by one tunnel for the goddess's guidance. Could see where that might take a while. :)
Newcastle wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:OK, who rolled the bad roll that killed the GM? :doh:
that's your department :wink:
Actually, I'm only playing the cleric cause Rainraven wanted to get him power-leveled. :horse:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sorry guys, came down with a nasty flu on the weekend and finding it hard to look at a screen for any length of time. Hopefully tomorrow I will feel more like myself
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

While I'm glad you are not really dead (I was just joking after all), that sounds crappy! Take your time. I was mostly just inquiring to see if anyone knew what the status was.

Get well soon! I'd roll a heal spell for you but given how I roll, that probably really would kill you. :p
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:Sorry guys, came down with a nasty flu on the weekend and finding it hard to look at a screen for any length of time. Hopefully tomorrow I will feel more like myself
Ugh. I had the flu earlier this year and it laid me up for 3 full days. Horrible. Feel better soon.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Yeah the flu was nasty for me this year too. Hope you feel better soon too.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:In the morning, after Hylwar fixes Scoop, I cast guidance. Then we can camp out again for the day and see if we find any help on where the batty druid should scout. (And recover from whatever happens if I should roll poorly). I am no longer under -1 penalty for casting and we should all be at or near full health and I have Cure LIght Wounds back as well as some new tricks.

"Corina, I beseech your guidance in uncovering the secrets going on here, of these 4 tunnels which is the best one to take for getting to the mushroom we seek?"
Woot, no XP!
Sorry, I really don't feel as well as I was hoping today, but let me try to advance the story somewhat.

Your goddess comes to you in your meditations. She tells you that if you take the second tunnel from the left, that will bring you closest to the mushroom but will also place you in great danger. If you enter the tunnel the furthest to the right you will also arrive at the level of the Underdark where the mushrooms grow, but you will be far from them, though relatively safe. The other tunnels do not descend as far as you need.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My vote is for danger. Since I'm sure that IB will find a way to put us in danger even if we take the safe route... :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

TheMix wrote:My vote is for danger. Since I'm sure that IB will find a way to put us in danger even if we take the safe route... :wink:
Relatively safe in the underdark is meaningless if we then need to travel a long distance to get to the mushrooms as we will certainly encounter plenty of danger during that travel. May as well end up as close as possible to the mushrooms.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Corina shows her cleric a vision of a city filled with drow when he concentrates on the danger tunnel
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well fine. Be that way. :P

:)

On a serious note, apparently we are going to have to let the cleric decide. We are on this mission for him (well, his contact). It's unclear if the mushrooms that his goddess showed him are the same for both paths. If so, then it's mostly irrelevant. Taking the "safer" path and then having to travel to the drow city anyway doesn't buy us anything except wasted time. If the options are drow city/mushroom vs. longer safer route/mushrooms/no drow at all, then that would likely be the better option.

Another consideration... the goblins likely have nothing to do with the drow. So whatever is causing them to raid the surface is probably not based in the drow city. I'm assuming that they would put a stop to that. So I would expect that any investigation of the goblins is going to be done elsewhere. Unless someone else "knows" more about drow...

Black Lives Matter