Soldier
Sniper
Heavy (Foil)

HL2:

Sleeping Dogs:

L4D2:

SR3:

JA BIA:

I will just keep editing this thread with what I have looking to trade.

[OO] Rip on steam.
JetFred

Re: Steam Trading Cards

Post by JetFred »

Yay, sold a Walking Dead foil for $2.58!
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JetFred wrote:Correction, Scribblenauts took over 50 minutes per card drop. Rivaled only by McPixel, which is far more ridiculous.
Yeah, Scribblenauts is a fun game, but it also took me close to an hour per card drop. That's absurd. Glad to hear McPixel -- which gave me two cards in 1.3 hours is more ridiculous. :(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rip

Post by Rip »

I haven't timed but JA BIA seemed to drop pretty slow as well. Another strange thing I had never gotten dupes before so don't know if it was because I had my Shadow card on the market but my first two cards were Shadow. :grund: Damn at least make one of them foil.

On a brighter point I just went and bought what I needed for the TF2 badger so I could level up. Got me a crappy demoman profile background, a :jarate: emoticon, and an Reus summer trading card. None of it selling for much right now. The only valuable thing so far has been a foil Heavy card. they are going for barely over a dollar but I listed mine at $3. Pretty sure I will end up keeping it, but I may do a foil badge just to say I did one.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I'm just intending to craft badges to level 20, where my chance for booster packs increases. That's mainly what this is about. I'll get my sale badge to level 2 and do the Bastion badge, and I'll be there.
I have but one advocate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My second round of thoughts, after dumping every card I had on the open market, is that the potential is there for a rebound after all the summer sale nonsense is done. I mean, the trading card thing isn't just a summer sale issue as far as I know, right?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Another damn Shadow card. :grund: :grund: :grund:

Think I will start up HL2 and let it earn me some more badges while I sleep.

I wish they would do NBA2K13. i have so many hours in that they should just give me all the damn badges. Thank goodness every year there is a new version or I might peg the meter and cause Steam to blow up. :D
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Now Garry's Mod and Tropico 4.
I have but one advocate.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fitting that Farming Simulator has cards.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:My second round of thoughts, after dumping every card I had on the open market, is that the potential is there for a rebound after all the summer sale nonsense is done. I mean, the trading card thing isn't just a summer sale issue as far as I know, right?
They've really cratered. My guess is that everyone is farming and/or buying games on sale so the market is just loaded with cards.

It will take an some kind of special event or item or something to get prices back up as people are loathe to pay more than what they see cards going for historically. For example, prices briefly went up when the Beta ended and cards were released. Otherwise for nearly everything it's been a steady march down with a big drop during the sale.

The absolute pricing transparency ensures the lowest prices for buyers. Plus the fact that people get cards for free, essentially, means that someone will almost always undercut to unload.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Here's a thing. I just had to give Steam my SSN before I could keep listing cards, because I broke some number like 140 listings. The form that appeared said they have to report it to the IRS if I break $20,000. I guess I hadn't thought of that. But now that I've given my secret identity over to Steam, I can keep listing. Hope it was worth the $35 I've made.
I have but one advocate.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:My second round of thoughts, after dumping every card I had on the open market, is that the potential is there for a rebound after all the summer sale nonsense is done. I mean, the trading card thing isn't just a summer sale issue as far as I know, right?
They've really cratered. My guess is that everyone is farming and/or buying games on sale so the market is just loaded with cards.

It will take an some kind of special event or item or something to get prices back up as people are loathe to pay more than what they see cards going for historically. For example, prices briefly went up when the Beta ended and cards were released. Otherwise for nearly everything it's been a steady march down with a big drop during the sale.

The absolute pricing transparency ensures the lowest prices for buyers. Plus the fact that people get cards for free, essentially, means that someone will almost always undercut to unload.
I expect summer sale cards will go up after the sale ends as they will become "rare".

Quite amazing how much activity is going on. I sold a bunch of summer sale cards this morning to replace them with others I needed, and many times the card I clicked on was already gone before I could hit the purchase button.

The economics of the things is very interesting to think about. Trying to pin a value on a particular card is very hard because the value is going to differ from person to person. For most people the value is extremely low - the most you can get from a card is the ability to craft a badge, which will give you a background, an emoticon and maybe a coupon. Of those, the coupon is the only thing you can assign real value to, and I've never gotten a coupon so you can't rely on one dropping. So the pricing is purely psychological. Most people are fine undercutting the lowest price to sell quickly, which means the prices will all race to 1 penny. The only thing that will stop the fall is people thinking that it's not worth bothering to sell at some minimum price, be it 20 cents, 10 cents, 5 cents, etc. So you'd expect all cards to head toward 1 penny and then settle at some psychological barrier. Foil cards will probably have a somewhat higher barrier because there is rarity involved.

I suppose after the initial flood prices for individual games will bounce back as the supply gets eaten up. For example, since Half Life 2 was one of the initial games and everyone and their mother owns and has played Half Life 2, many will have already gotten their card drops and crafted their badge (I expect most people will be fine crafting the badge once). Others will just sell off their drops. The lowest price cards will get bought up leaving higher priced cards that don't get bought as often, meaning the lowest price will stay a bit higher. This will then depend on booster packs. If too many HL2 booster packs drop you can have a supply problem and the price will drop again.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Teggy wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:

I expect summer sale cards will go up after the sale ends as they will become "rare".

Quite amazing how much activity is going on. I sold a bunch of summer sale cards this morning to replace them with others I needed, and many times the card I clicked on was already gone before I could hit the purchase button.

The economics of the things is very interesting to think about. Trying to pin a value on a particular card is very hard because the value is going to differ from person to person. For most people the value is extremely low - the most you can get from a card is the ability to craft a badge, which will give you a background, an emoticon and maybe a coupon. Of those, the coupon is the only thing you can assign real value to, and I've never gotten a coupon so you can't rely on one dropping. So the pricing is purely psychological. Most people are fine undercutting the lowest price to sell quickly, which means the prices will all race to 1 penny. The only thing that will stop the fall is people thinking that it's not worth bothering to sell at some minimum price, be it 20 cents, 10 cents, 5 cents, etc. So you'd expect all cards to head toward 1 penny and then settle at some psychological barrier. Foil cards will probably have a somewhat higher barrier because there is rarity involved.
Some people will see previous sales and price them at the going rate. Others will price a penny or two below. If there is enough demand that the lower priced cards below get snapped up quickly, the price won't fall. As soon as the lower prices become the going ask, some people will price a penny or two below that and the march downward continues.

The sale cards are a good point, as long as you can craft the summer sale badges after the sale. I don't see why you wouldn't.

And of course the collectionists that get on board the card wagon later will want them.

If they truly are "limited edition" they may hold value. Of course they started out in the $2 range and are now in the $0.30 range.

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

Teggy wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:

I suppose after the initial flood prices for individual games will bounce back as the supply gets eaten up. For example, since Half Life 2 was one of the initial games and everyone and their mother owns and has played Half Life 2, many will have already gotten their card drops and crafted their badge (I expect most people will be fine crafting the badge once). Others will just sell off their drops. The lowest price cards will get bought up leaving higher priced cards that don't get bought as often, meaning the lowest price will stay a bit higher. This will then depend on booster packs. If too many HL2 booster packs drop you can have a supply problem and the price will drop again.
Agree, and as such i have been scouting what groups are going cheapest and picking up those for my badges to get my level up a little for the drop rate buff. I just picked up the HL2 badge and I have only played it once or twice. My son is more into that type of game than me. But hell the cards were cheap. They are adding cards to games so fast right now I can hardly keep up. This morning there were three games I already had that got card support.

The funny thing is I am not playing them just letting them sit in the background till cards drop. Wonder if I can run several and once and get them all dropping cards?
WPD

Post by WPD »

Rip wrote: Wonder if I can run several and once and get them all dropping cards?
Yup.
Later ya'll.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

TF2 cards are constantly flashing asks below $0.10. I don't bother trying to buy because they're always snapped up but if you keep refreshing the list you'll see them. Just saw an Engie for $0.06.

MYT
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

[H]

Tomb Raider

[W]

Bioshock
Dead Island Riptide
Football Manager
Kerbal Space Program
Prison Architect
Skyrim
I have but one advocate.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I think we need a thread for only trading card lists. No discussion. It’s too hard to find what people have here.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Lordnine wrote:I think we need a thread for only trading card lists. No discussion. It’s too hard to find what people have here.
Okay, here.
I have but one advocate.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

JetFred wrote:
Lordnine wrote:I think we need a thread for only trading card lists. No discussion. It’s too hard to find what people have here.
Okay, here.
Uh, I made one before you...
JetFred

Re: Steam Trading Cards discussion

Post by JetFred »

Dang simulpost within the same minute. I even checked. Thanks.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

These added:

Tomb Raider
Resident Evil 6
StarDrive
The Witcher 2
Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army
Mars: War Logs
Kinetic Void
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I've gotten 3 new cards during the Steam sale. Two are Tomb Raider and just alike. The hat one. I also got a Chivalry one with a crazy guy i a hat.

Question....I have some weird card thing in one of my slots. It's a small blue empty icon/window. It's a small blue frame with nothing in it. It's taking up a card slot but it's not a card. I dont know what it is or what to do with it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Daehawk wrote:I've gotten 3 new cards during the Steam sale. Two are Tomb Raider and just alike. The hat one. I also got a Chivalry one with a crazy guy i a hat.

Question....I have some weird card thing in one of my slots. It's a small blue empty icon/window. It's a small blue frame with nothing in it. It's taking up a card slot but it's not a card. I dont know what it is or what to do with it.
It's an emoticon you can use in chat or posts.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm..will have to figure out how to use that then. Thanks.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

When you are in chat, there is a smiley button that should pop out to show all of your available emoticons, or the inventory entry will show you what to type, like :headcrab:
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really did not expect them to add so many damn trading-card enabled games. This is complete insanity.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks!

Got a Defiance card now.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Is the chance of getting booster packs explained anywhere? Specifically, is there a better chance if you have more games that drop cards, or is your chance the same as someone at the same Steam level, and having more games just means there's more possibilities for which pack you'll get?

Oh and Universe Sandbox drops cards, as does System Shock 2...
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They're sort of fuzzy on the entire booster pack thing -- which I think is intentional as to avoid manipulation. The best thing to do right now is get to level 20 as that increases your chance for drops (+40%). If you read through the FAQ, it sounds like every time someone creates a badge, the system looks through the list of people without any drops that are now eligible for a booster pack and then from that pool, randomly dishes out a single pack. Regarding multiple games eligible for drops:
Over time you will end up with more boosters packs if you have more eligible games. It's all set up so that you are better off to have all your games on one account, instead of spreading them between accounts.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, they cut down the number of games that drop cards from more than 80 last night, to 15 today!

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... =29&page=1" target="_blank
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sold a Vintage Jarate last night for $0.45 net. It's been up for a few weeks. Going rate is $0.06. Guess the guy was being charitable. But for those that don't know TF2, someone paid around $0.47 for a virtual jar of literal urine.

Summer Getaway cards are now consistently below $0.25.

MYT
WPD

Post by WPD »

WPD wrote:
Rip wrote: Wonder if I can run several and once and get them all dropping cards?
Yup.
Looks like this is no longer true? I had a few exes running yesterday afternoon and got about ~1 an hour. Anyone else tried this recently?
Later ya'll.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Smoove_B wrote:They're sort of fuzzy on the entire booster pack thing -- which I think is intentional as to avoid manipulation. The best thing to do right now is get to level 20 as that increases your chance for drops (+40%). If you read through the FAQ, it sounds like every time someone creates a badge, the system looks through the list of people without any drops that are now eligible for a booster pack and then from that pool, randomly dishes out a single pack. Regarding multiple games eligible for drops:
Over time you will end up with more boosters packs if you have more eligible games. It's all set up so that you are better off to have all your games on one account, instead of spreading them between accounts.
Okay, I don't know if I read that. Thanks, because I was certainly going on that assumption.

I went ahead and finished my level 2 sale badge yesterday by playing the clicking game and getting the last cards for 12-16 cents each, when I'm pretty sure I can rotate extras out for 25-30 if I have to. So whatever. But yeah, the prices on multiple games' sets have dropped, and even given the discussion above, I'm not thinking there will ever be a huge rebound. Once people have the game, they have it, it's not like it can go back to less distribution, and if people aren't selling anymore later, they're also not buying. So I'm taking what I can while I'm dropping, selling, and spending the earnings. For the most part I'll unload anything worth more than a quarter.
I have but one advocate.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

WPD wrote:
WPD wrote:
Yup.
Looks like this is no longer true? I had a few exes running yesterday afternoon and got about ~1 an hour. Anyone else tried this recently?
Yup
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Eador now drops cards.
I have but one advocate.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I completed my Summer Sale badge. I figured I'd be better off buying out the set now while prices are low, then using my drops to accumulate extras that I can sell after the sale is over and prices shoot up.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Wow, they cut down the number of games that drop cards from more than 80 last night, to 15 today!

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... =29&page=1" target="_blank
Shows 38 for me.

Ale