2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

[movie]Star Trek Beyond

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Defiant

Re: [movie]Star Trek Beyond

Post by Defiant »

Blackhawk wrote:No, all of the old Enterprises were built in space dock and could not land. Voyager and Defiant were both designed specifically for planetary landings.
I know Voyager was specifically designed for that (we even see it happen at the end of season 2) But i don't remember seeing anything about the defiant being designed for it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It has landing gear, although they never actually used it in the show that I recall.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Blackhawk wrote:
Defiant wrote:
McNutt wrote:I think you overestimate the amount of action in Wrath of Khan.
Or Undiscovered Country. To be sure, they had more action than The Motion Picture, but then, most (all?) episodes did, as well.
Or First Contact (getting out of the TOS, of course.)

We don't talk about anything after First Contact.
I would actually considered First contact to be somewhat action-heavy (for a Star trek film).

And the third TNG movie isn't that bad. It's like a less memorable 2-parter from TV (so unmemorable, I don't remember the name). It's Nemesis we never talk about.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Blackhawk wrote:It has landing gear, although they never actually used it in the show that I recall.
i take it that that was in the technical specs or books or something, as i don't remember it mentioned on the show, either.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Defiant wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Defiant wrote:
McNutt wrote:I think you overestimate the amount of action in Wrath of Khan.
Or Undiscovered Country. To be sure, they had more action than The Motion Picture, but then, most (all?) episodes did, as well.
Or First Contact (getting out of the TOS, of course.)

We don't talk about anything after First Contact.
I would actually considered First contact to be somewhat action-heavy (for a Star trek film).

And the third TNG movie isn't that bad. It's like a less memorable 2-parter from TV (so unmemorable, I don't remember the name). It's Nemesis we never talk about.
Whoops, I misread when I responded. I was pointing to it as being action-heavy.

As to the Defiant, I only remember that it had the gear, not where I got that from.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I loved it. I'm a big star trek fan but unlike most I also love the new star trek movies. They're different than the old tv series, but if I'm being honest I think they are better movies than some of the old movies. Those aren't sacred cows, some of them are incredibly boring. The old tv shows though, I love those. All of them.

Beyond its a very good star trek movie. The only thing I got sick of (literally) was the spinning camera. I saw it on Imax 3D and I'm really looking forward to seeing it again.

It should be noted i also loved the new reboot and into darkness. So those of you who hated them... You might also hate this.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Saw it this weekend. Loved it. Was pleasantly surprised. I loved the ending and the nods to the original cast.

It's my favorite of the last three movies.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife's working at home on Tuesday so we plan to see the 4 pm show then, hoping for a deserted theater.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I didn't care for it. I'm tempted to see it a second time though to give it another chance. I wan't to enjoy it.

I think I'm just too big a fan of the originals to accept the reboot. Some of the casting decisions are inspired, but it comes off as mimicry to me and insults my memories. Into Darkness rubbed me the wrong way to a perhaps unrecoverable extent.
Spoiler:
It was clear to me early on that Krall would turn out to be from the crashed Federation ship. I didn't entirely get his character, though. Perhaps it's that I found some of the dialogue muddled. I understood his motivation broadly, but I didn't find the character nuanced or interesting. I'm also not sure what's going on with the "suck up the souls of others to become different/stave off aging" angle, but I don't know that I care. He seemed to very much be a generic monster in the figurative sense, very similar to Eric Bana in the first film, and Peter Weller in the second. I also didn't care for the reference to his fighting the Xindi... I'd be about as happy for Enterprise to erased from canon as I would the reboot.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have a big problem with Urban's McCoy and your description of mimicry is spot on. He does a great DeForest Kelley impression, but why? If they remake The Searchers should the main actor try to sound like John Wayne?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Interesting... Xindi... could have sworn I heard Kzinti. :|
-mf
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is the first movie since the reboot that has left me wanting more. Felt like it was really in the spirit of TOS and the characters are starting to exhibit the relationships that we know -- especially Spock and McCoy. And I went into it with my shields up and weapons charged.

The villain was the weakest link. From first sight I could only see him as G'Kar.

Because it ended with
Spoiler:
tattoo-face being accepted into Starfleet,
how cool would it be if she replaces Chekov?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Defiant wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:It has landing gear, although they never actually used it in the show that I recall.
i take it that that was in the technical specs or books or something, as i don't remember it mentioned on the show, either.
I believe it is in one of the tech manuals. The original Enterprise could separate it's saucer section and do a planetary landing with it. I don't recall if it could take off again or if it was meant purely as a lifeboat.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just saw this last night. It was good, though it didn't completely blow me away. A few plot related questions:
Spoiler:
Where did all those advanced swarm ships come from? I guess Krall / Idris Elba found them on that nebula planet? And each of those ships had someone piloting it, right - where did all of them come from? Seemed like there were thousands and thousands of them - a bit much to be just the Franklin's crew.

Also, I did appreciate the Star Trek-y way they engineered (via science!) a way to defeat the swarm, although the Beastie Boys was a bit jarring. Would've preferred some generic not specifically identifiable non-vocal rock tune. Also I thought the point was to disrupt the swarm's coordination, but it seemed like it just caused all of the swarm ships to suddenly explode for some reason.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Spoiler:
The video Uhura and Kirk watch of pre-Krall Edison explains that there were countless "drones" left behind on that planet. Gave him a ready made army.

As for the Beastie Boys song, it does call back to the song playing on the radio when young Kirk stole the car in the original reboot, so I'm sure that's why it was used.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also saw it last night and...I hate to say this...but I was rather disappointed.

From the opening scene of slapstick comedy to the final moments of one on one combat with the main villain, it felt like a checklist was always being referenced off camera somewhere. Everything felt rote and by the book. And every attempt to recreate the classic camaraderie of the original series (and ST:NG, DS9, etc.) fell flat for me.

I think I would even rate this below Into Darkness, and that surprises the hell out of me as there was a lot to dislike about that one. I was actually one of the first people in this thread to be optimistic about Beyond after reading reviews, so it's not like I was predisposed to negativity. Maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic on this 50th anniversary of Star Trek? Perhaps I'm just be remembering the greatness of the original shows that were allowed to develop their cast of characters over the course of hundreds of hours of episodes, while the reboot has had less than 8 hours to do the same.

But if that's true, it still doesn't excuse what I feel was a formulaic telling of the story.
Spoiler:
Checklist item 1: We need to open with a comic scene that ventures into slapstick. Check
Checklist item 2: We need to include a potential split between Kirk and Spock. Check
Checklist item 3: We need to get Kirk onto a motorcycle (or something similar) for scenes of extreme sports action for the teens. Check
Checklist item 4: We need to include a domestic dispute between Spock and Uhura. Check
Checklist item 5: We need a final battle between either Kirk and the main villain, or Spock and the main villain. Check
I also had some of the same questions that El Guapo notes above.
Spoiler:
Where the hell did they get all the manpower for a swarm of what looked like hundreds of thousands of ships?
Why didn't Idris turn more human after absorbing the two crew members in front of Uhura and Ensign Crab Head?
Did they need to steal the solution for their alien attack problem from Independence Day?
I know it sounds like I hated it, but I will say that I did enjoy myself. I just didn't Star Trek enjoy myself. And that's what I was hoping for when I bought my ticket.

p.s.
Spoiler:
I did enjoy the side story about Dennis Quaid crash landing on the planet and becoming friends with one of Krall's men. And when he had the baby and Quaid had to take it back to its people? Well, there wasn't a dry eye in the house.
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote:I also had some of the same questions that El Guapo notes above.
Spoiler:
Where the hell did they get all the manpower for a swarm of what looked like hundreds of thousands of ships?
Why didn't Idris turn more human after absorbing the two crew members in front of Uhura and Ensign Crab Head?
Did they need to steal the solution for their alien attack problem from Independence Day?
Spoiler:
As mentioned above, the swarm drones were part of the technology left behind that he found. I'm pretty sure they weren't even living, although it's not clear that's true.

Idris did turn more human. He just didn't go very far. His face started to smooth out quite a bit after them.

As for the attack, the idea was they would piggy back a signal that would confuse communications and disrupt the swarm. The fact that they heard it rather than just got confused by the communication kind of knocked me out suspension of disbelief, but not too bad because it was cool to see everything blow up. :) And they were blowing up because they were crashing into each other, although that wasn't totally clear either. But I really didn't mind - because explosions are fun (as is getting the upper hand on the bad guy).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote:
Spoiler:
As mentioned above, the swarm drones were part of the technology left behind that he found. I'm pretty sure they weren't even living, although it's not clear that's true.
Spoiler:
But it seemed like every time someone hijacked one of the swarm ships, they had to eject (or at least fight) a living pilot. So we're left with two scenarios:

1) They were all piloted by living beings.
2) Various crew members from the Enterprise managed numerous times to just randomly pick out the one ship among at least a thousand others that had a living pilot.
Willing suspension of disbelief aside, neither option I mention seems plausible.
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Spoiler:
They had to fight a pilot. They could have been robots. At best they were worker bees (keeping with the metaphor) - things that are incapable of much independent thought.

Any other scenario means that movie had a genocidal type battle set to fun music - which doesn't seem very Trek.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm...
Spoiler:
were the thick legged, armored dudes just automatons of some sort? I assumed they were just more Enemy Mine lookalikes, like Krall, but in armor.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

All that said, I can't comprehend the great reviews this is getting. Nor its predecessors. I feel guilty for not liking them more, but this just isn't Star Trek.

Watching the original films is a wondrous experience, with the exception of the disastrous V: The Final Frontier (though even that had its moments for the characters).

These just come off as Trek-lite reskins of the modern sci-fi/action film. Not bad in their own right, but tonally very different and not worthy of the brand nor its legacy. For the considerable hate I pour on Voyager and Enterprise, they're still very much Trek in spirit.

Contrast with The Force Awakens. For all its issues, it is Star Wars for me and I think most others. Though I admit we might have reacted differently if it was a reboot rather than a continuation. On that note, I think I'd have a much kinder view of nuTrek if it was Kirk's grandson (or something) running around.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think you guys are a bit too hard on the Kelvin timeline. The first two are the ones that don't feel Trek, just a lot of people dying for some big threat nobody seem to quite understand and some people made huge sacrifice. This one, for all the complaint, at least made a try to make it Trek.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sudy Nym wrote:
Watching the original films is a wondrous experience, with the exception of the disastrous V: The Final Frontier (though even that had its moments for the characters).
Honestly I think you're kind of over-selling the originals. Only Khan and Undiscovered Country are great. Final Frontier is a dumpster fire as you say, and honestly The Motion Picture isn't that much better. Search for Spock (though I haven't seen it in awhile) is mediocre, and Voyage Home is a silly comedy.
Black Lives Matter.
geezer

Post by geezer »

El Guapo wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:
Honestly I think you're kind of over-selling the originals. Only Khan and Undiscovered Country are great. Final Frontier is a dumpster fire as you say, and honestly The Motion Picture isn't that much better. Search for Spock (though I haven't seen it in awhile) is mediocre, and Voyage Home is a silly comedy.
...and you were doing so well. ;) 4 is great. It's a whale of a movie.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The Voyage Home was definitely a true Star Trek movie. It really matched the tone of a lot of the episodes. It still surprises me that I enjoyed that movie as much as I did. It was fantastic.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:
They literally travel back in time to rescue a freaking whale. Scotty speaks hilariously into a computer mouse. Kirk literally says "everyone remember where we parked!" in reference to the ship, which is of course parked in a city park (cloaked). Kirk actually utters the line "Well, double dumbass on you!"

It's a "fish out of water" comedy in every sense.
Black Lives Matter.
geezer

Post by geezer »

El Guapo wrote:
geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:
They literally travel back in time to rescue a freaking whale. Scotty speaks hilariously into a computer mouse. Kirk literally says "everyone remember where we parked!" in reference to the ship, which is of course parked in a city park (cloaked). Kirk actually utters the line "Well, double dumbass on you!"

:roll: Whales aren't fish. Jeebus. :tjg:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:

I'm aware of that, but "fish out of water, but with a mammal that swims in the water like a fish, which gets taken out of the water" was too cumbersome.

And it is a "fish out of water" comedy (in the non-literal sense).
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

"He did too much LDS."

That's funny stuff.
geezer

Post by geezer »

El Guapo wrote:
geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:

I'm aware of that, but "fish out of water, but with a mammal that swims in the water like a fish, which gets taken out of the water" was too cumbersome.

You understand that i'm just goofing with you right? Not being a wanker :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

:P
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:

Wasn't totally sure. Good thing you cleared that up, or else I was about to wish a double dumbass on you.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

El Guapo wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:
I have to agree with this. I think a lot of people look back at some of those movies through some pretty damn thick rose colored glasses.

I really liked the first one, the second was okay......and I haven't seen the third one. I think the big problem with the second one was they just try to do too damn much. There are too many "call backs" to the originals.
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

El Guapo wrote:
geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
geezer wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:

Wasn't totally sure. Good thing you cleared that up, or else I was about to wish a double dumbass on you.
:lol:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Punisher wrote: The original Enterprise could separate it's saucer section and do a planetary landing with it. I don't recall if it could take off again or if it was meant purely as a lifeboat.
I do remember it was a last resort type thing, cause it couldn't be easily reattached (and wouldn't have warp)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scuzz wrote:
I have to agree with this. I think a lot of people look back at some of those movies through some pretty damn thick rose colored glasses.
That's also because many of us grew up with these characters as played by the same actors. I still think they should have just ditched the whole reboot concept and went with movies set in the Star Trek universe. There's decades of history they could have delved into. Star Wars is doing it with the sequels and the stand alone entries. Why Star Trek felt they couldn't do the same is beyond me.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Scuzz wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote: Watching the original films is a wondrous experience, with the exception of the disastrous V: The Final Frontier (though even that had its moments for the characters).
They form a cohesive and moving whole. On their own, The Motion Picture and The Search for Spock are weak overall. But together they form an incredibly moving story that advances the characters and is true in spirit to the series.

Honestly, standing alone, I don't even think The Undiscovered Country holds up that well. There are some outstanding parts (namely the beginning and the end), but half the film is a loopy murder mystery in space. You're a lunatic if you don't like The Voyage Home however. Doing something different doesn't disqualify it from being a good Trek film since it does it well.

People talk about how great the relationship between Spock and Bones is in Beyond and I just don't get it. It isn't anything that wasn't done many times by Nimoy and Kelley, and better. NuBones and NuSpock don't have the history to support it, anyway.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Re: Bones and Spock... It's much better than the JJTrek movies.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Granted I guess, but I'm not sure it's not just a case of the plots not allowing them significant time together previously. But it still feels like a cheap facsimile to me. Why is it necessary or desired to rehash these relationships? Who is it designed to appeal to?

For the most part, it's not like they're providing a new take. Spock+Uhura on the other hand? Now that has at least the potential to be interesting, since it hasn't been done before.