2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by coopasonic »

Stuie wrote:
coopasonic wrote:The guys that play 3 spy cards in the first round to load up on cards, then start playing 10 point cards in the second round...
That's what decoys are for; pick up the spies and toss them back over the wall.
I had not thought of that. Nice. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jag wrote:Patch should be out in a day or two. Most important fix is the first one. Limiting interaction with candles near loot. Yay!

Enlarge Image

Yay, bigger font!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I recommend the Imagus plugin for Chrome. It allows you to get bigger pictures of stuff just by mousing over it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:
Stuie wrote:
coopasonic wrote:The guys that play 3 spy cards in the first round to load up on cards, then start playing 10 point cards in the second round...
That's what decoys are for; pick up the spies and toss them back over the wall.
I had not thought of that. Nice. :)
In one ridiculous match I played, the enemy started out by playing a spy. I then promptly decoyed it, playing it back at him. He then decoyed it again, playing it once more back at me. That spy really worked all the angles in our little war. :P
Insert witty comment here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had one very confusing gwent match yesterday. I was losing the third and final round, which would've lost me the game in turn. I had one archer in my ranged row, the opponent had 4. The majority of the AI's strength was in that row. So what does the AI do on its second to last card? It plays Impenetrable Fog...effectively destroying all its strength. I thought for sure the AI had something up its sleeve...but no, it had a ranged card as its final card.

I was actually about to forfeit when it did that. I guess the AI gets a bit confused sometimes when it plays down to the last cards in its deck.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote:I recommend the Imagus plugin for Chrome. It allows you to get bigger pictures of stuff just by mousing over it.
Was trying to poke fun at the tiny font they used in the game, and the fact that the patch addresses it. Was a joke that worked better in my head, apparently.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I recommend the Imagus plugin for Chrome. It allows you to get bigger pictures of stuff just by mousing over it.
Was trying to poke fun at the tiny font they used in the game, and the fact that the patch addresses it. Was a joke that worked better in my head, apparently.
I got it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Is there any way to look at your Gwent deck without actually offering to play a game?
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

EzeKieL wrote:Is there any way to look at your Gwent deck without actually offering to play a game?
Yeah, you can access your Gwent cards from the menu. On the PS4, that's the one you get when you hit the Options button. It's probably Esc on PC.
Delraich

Post by Delraich »

On PC the Gwent deck can be opened with the H-key, I believe. Even though it is clearly pay-to-win, I find the Gwent thing quite addictive.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Delraich wrote:On PC the Gwent deck can be opened with the H-key, I believe. Even though it is clearly pay-to-win, I find the Gwent thing quite addictive.
Now I find myself trying to rationalize how such a game could exist in the world being portrayed... who produces the cards? How are the rules codified? Is the DCI involved?

Guess I'll suspend my disbelief and just keep playing.
Delraich

Post by Delraich »

Stuie wrote:
Delraich wrote:On PC the Gwent deck can be opened with the H-key, I believe. Even though it is clearly pay-to-win, I find the Gwent thing quite addictive.
Now I find myself trying to rationalize how such a game could exist in the world being portrayed... who produces the cards? How are the rules codified? Is the DCI involved?

Haha. Yeah, the dice game from the previous Witcher editions was better suited for the setting. But then, that got boring quite quickly...

What I find a bit hard to rationalize is why play a game at all? I am not sure that the ghoul-exterminating, bandit-bashing, but kindly-hearted mutant on an urgent quest would find time to play a card game in front a burnt hut in a war-torn wasteland.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Stuie wrote:

You'll follow a floating ghost baby across a map, but the possible existence of a paper mill throws you? :P
He won. Period.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Gwent would be a deeply flawed game in the real world (it's almost impossible to defeat someone with better cards than you, no matter how well you use the basic cards you have), but as part of a single-player game like The Witcher 3, it provides an additional thing for you to get better at and keep improving. As long as you keep confronting increasingly tough opponents (ie. opponents with better cards), the game remains balanced. Just don't consider how your opponent may look at the situation. Anyone attempting to replicate this game in real life would probably be sorely disappointed with the results.
Delraich wrote:Haha. Yeah, the dice game from the previous Witcher editions was better suited for the setting. But then, that got boring quite quickly...
Dice Poker wasn't just flawed; it was broken. The game itself worked fine as long as you realize that skill has absolutely no impact (and I don't mean that as hyperbole. There is literally no impact from skill in that game. There's always an obvious best move, and you have no control over its effects), but the biggest mistake the designers made was to give Dice Poker a role in their world where certain players were renowned for being amazing at the game, and that you could somehow beat them fair and square. Bullshit. The game was about nothing but luck, and I'm sure even the designers realized that once they tried to implement these so-called "expert opponents" and discovered that the only way to do so was to have them cheat since skill, and thus also AI, was nonexistent. They should have abandoned that game in its design phase, perhaps to be replaced by something else, but they didn't. Dice Poker is the single worst thing to destroy my suspension of disbelief in The Witcher 2, as I simply do not buy that the people in that world would treat the game the way they do.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Havent looked at Gwent nor shall I, same with Dice Poker, seems to be plenty to do without playing a mini game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's plenty to do in White Orchard. I'm just glad the makers of the game decided to add more.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:There's plenty to do in White Orchard. I'm just glad the makers of the game decided to add more.
Yes, pick lots of flowers!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Favorite game moment so far:

I pass a bandit camp on my way to a village that just happens to be very close to said camp. I attract the bandits' attention and they start chasing me. I reach the village and find my quest contact immediately. I initiate my conversation with the NPC. During our conversation, I keep hearing dull "thwack" sounds. Then I notice that I'm being shot by arrows...and they are appearing on my chest for a few seconds before disappearing. Thankfully, during the course of the conversation, they must have grown tired of shooting me as they were gone by the time the cut scenes ended. But it was hilarious to watch my body being shot repeatedly by arrows while I'm nonchalantly discussing politics with a village elder.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I lost the 3rd round of a Gwent match last night... 104-100.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I strutted into one of the bigger cities with my customized Gwent deck in hand. Sauntered up to a random merchant and demanded a game of Gwent. I was two cards into the second round (I gave the first round to him) with a fielded strength of around 14. All of the sudden, he whipped out one card from his monster deck that rapidly threw about 40 strength's worth of cards into the same row immediately.

I surrendered immediately. :shock:
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, it was a monster deck that put up the 104 against me. They can multiple rapidly. The good news is if they are unlucky they can pull most of their cards from their hand in the first round. If not, you need the Freeze card or you are screwed.

I am still stuck with the initial faction. Strength is up to 120, which gets destroyed by the better guys in the big city. I am 1 card away from being able to field a squirrel deck. Not even close to any other deck... Maybe 17/22 on another, I forget which.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Go on . . . . :drool:

I am building an awesome deck in Gwent and except for a 5 point archer, all my Northern Realm cards have dual purposes and nothing under 4 except for three, 4 point swordsman that double up when played together. My Nilfgaardian deck is now playable but It contains far too many 1 and 2 point cards, that make me less than competitive.

And finally, big fail for me on the Wearwolf quest. (Something Something of the Something). I could not beat the wearwolf and had to turn down the game session to adventure.

OTOH, I was able to jump into the closed off Oxenford college campus. I did not have access to the full campus but was able to move around a few hallways. oh, it was completely deserted . . . . the player is not supposed to be there . . .hahahahahahaha
AKA: Dajjer
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm pretty sure at this point I could one-shot the werewolf (19th level), but my Gwent deck is nowhere near your standards.

In other news, so many freaking quests.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I had one awesome hand in qwent with 2 dummy cards. I played a great first hand and forced my opponent to play his great cards. Then I backed out my 2 great cards with the dummy cards. On the last hand the AI was literally playing weather cards and nothing else . . .hahahahahahahaha
ericb

Post by ericb »

Had a lot of trouble with Gwent starting out but once I got some of the better Hero cards it steamrolled into steady wins. I think I've finished every Gwent quest except the High Stakes and have all four decks with 3 decks having 8 Hero cards and the 4th deck with 7 Hero cards. Lowest deck score is around 145 and it's honestly rare for me to even be scared of losing :) Northern deck with the siege doubling leader card is still my go to deck.

Otherwise close to finishing the main quest line. I've heard from one of my co-workers that it's around 10 hours after you reach the point of no return. I'm around 3 hours past the point right now. Awesome game all around with almost no bugs (these guys need to give lessons to Bethesda before Fallout 4) In over 40 hours of playing I've had two hard crashes (one was fixed by the unlimited fps slider and later the patch) and one instance of being stuck in a place I couldn't get out. No graphical issues, no xp bug, no quests I couldn't finish, no corrupt saves...it's almost strange after getting used to the quirks and crashes of other modern AAA games.

I've loved every minute of it but I'm at the point of being ready to finish it and move on for a while.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Running into some strange new bugs on PS4 tonight. The mini-map has apparently decided it won't load. It shows all the markers and my dotted line path, but it's just a big brown circle. I also finished one of the major storyline quest steps in Novigrad ("Get Junior") and didn't receive any XP for it. Maybe that's by design, but it would be the first time in the entire game where it's happened. Not sure if it's a bug or not.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Skinypupy wrote:Running into some strange new bugs on PS4 tonight. The mini-map has apparently decided it won't load. It shows all the markers and my dotted line path, but it's just a big brown circle. I also finished one of the major storyline quest steps in Novigrad ("Get Junior") and didn't receive any XP for it. Maybe that's by design, but it would be the first time in the entire game where it's happened. Not sure if it's a bug or not.
The XP bug is well known by now, and is being fixed in the upcoming patch. Right now you'll end up not receiving XP for a bunch of quests, and it's unclear what exactly triggers this. The result is that you're going to be a lower level during the end of the game than is intended, though within the expected range anyway.

I kind of lucked out in that I've been 100% busy the last week with selling my old apartment and buying a new one, so my PS4 hasn't been used. I was hoping the patch would be ready for this weekend when I actually have time to play again though, but it seems that won't happen. Perhaps I'll just fire it up anyway and do all kinds of things except quests. Play a bit of Gwent and explore question marks, maybe.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've had the mini-map bug on the PS4, but it usually only last for about 10/15 seconds after fast traveling to a new area.

I've also had a bug where I'll start a conversation with someone and suddenly be transported to a different location. One time it transported me right in front of a bear. :shock:
Black Lives Matter
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I've had the mini-map bug on the PS4, but it usually only last for about 10/15 seconds after fast traveling to a new area.
Same for me.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The patch is out, and just in time for the weekend! :)
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

TiLT wrote:The patch is out, and just in time for the weekend! :)
Has anyone tried playing since the patch on the PS4? I just booted it up, and the text is still all tiny-like. I don't see an option anywhere to change the size of the text. Am I overlooking something, or is the text size the same as it was before?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Fishbelly wrote:
Has anyone tried playing since the patch on the PS4? I just booted it up, and the text is still all tiny-like. I don't see an option anywhere to change the size of the text. Am I overlooking something, or is the text size the same as it was before?
I've been playing for a few hours on the PS4 now after the patch, and the GUI is definitely bigger. I no longer have to lean forward in my chair to read some of the smaller text.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fishbelly wrote:
Doesn't look much different to me either. Maybe I've just gotten used to it.

I also had one of the four quests I completed this afternoon give no XP, which makes me wonder if that bug actually got addressed.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Skinypupy wrote:I also had one of the four quests I completed this afternoon give no XP, which makes me wonder if that bug actually got addressed.
It's been fixed. Not all quests are supposed to give XP.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TiLT wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:I also had one of the four quests I completed this afternoon give no XP, which makes me wonder if that bug actually got addressed.
Seems to have only hit the one quest I had in progress when it was patched. Everything else I've finished today has given XP rewards.

I've started striking a better balance of questing vs. exploring. The OCD gamer in me hates leaving those "?" markers on the map, but I would likely burn out before the game was finished if I chased every one of them. I've started splitting my time 50/50 between advancing the story/hunts/sidequests and just going out to clear those markers. Enjoying it significantly more as a result.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Skinypupy wrote:
TiLT wrote:
Seems to have only hit the one quest I had in progress when it was patched. Everything else I've finished today has given XP rewards.

I've started striking a better balance of questing vs. exploring. The OCD gamer in me hates leaving those "?" markers on the map, but I would likely burn out before the game was finished if I chased every one of them. I've started splitting my time 50/50 between advancing the story/hunts/sidequests and just going out to clear those markers. Enjoying it significantly more as a result.
Yeah there are so many ?'s that I think I would do the same. I have focused more on main / secondary and treasure huts and collect any ?'s that happen to be near.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I'm so behind in the gaming world. I didn't finish W1 after getting bogged down in the first big city. I have W2 sitting around uninstalled. Maybe I should just install W2 and pretend it's W3.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It took 2 weeks but finally Angry Joe has his REVIEW out for The Witcher 3......hint - he loves it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Daehawk wrote:It took 2 weeks but finally Angry Joe has his REVIEW out for The Witcher 3......hint - he loves it.

Brilliant and hilarious review - but watching him for 35 minutes is less time for Witcher 3
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

D.A.Lewis wrote:
Daehawk wrote:It took 2 weeks but finally Angry Joe has his REVIEW out for The Witcher 3......hint - he loves it.

Brilliant and hilarious review - but watching him for 35 minutes is less time for Witcher 3
35 minutes? Lol...no.