THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

WW Viking Ship - GAME OVER - English Victory

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Grundbegriff

Re: WW Viking Ship - Day 1- DEADLINE TODAY 9 HRS

Post by Grundbegriff »

I wish we had more time for this. Now that we have something to analyze, there's no time to do so.

The artificial deadline kills the fun of the game.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'll check back closer and if anyone is near n-1 at that point I will cast my vote on them rather than risk random.org but I don't like the scoop vote any more than I liked the theohall one.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
RMC

Post by RMC »

Grundbegriff wrote:I wish we had more time for this. Now that we have something to analyze, there's no time to do so.

Not the artificial deadline, but the Sunday deadline.. In my opinion. I like the deadlines, they force action instead of allowing the game to just kind of laze around..

Now back to Skyrim. :)

I am also not locked into Scoop, I can and would like to move to someone else, but random.org is not a good choice either.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

A deadline system is ok, if that's what people agree to in advance.

Deadlines whenever the host feels a disturbance in the force, however, are uncool.

Withdraw Scoop 

at least until I can review some things.
theohall

Post by theohall »

I think purge is on to something with coopasonic. Already said this once, but his excuse for lack of activity is Skyrim and that has not been out as long as this game has been active.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Grundbegriff wrote:A deadline system is ok, if that's what people agree to in advance.

Deadlines whenever the host feels a disturbance in the force, however, are uncool.

Withdraw Scoop 

at least until I can review some things.
i apologize for doing so...buts its damned if i do damned if i dont here. Some folks complained....i listened. When i invoked the time deadline...it was thurs. am, 11 est, 8 pst.; i pretty said Sun 10 Pm. I figured that was a generous time allowance. 2 full work days, and the weekend.

When i did invoke it there was really no discussion int he thread, and i felt like the game was lagging, as a mod...cant let that happen.

My apologies.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Newcastle wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:A deadline system is ok, if that's what people agree to in advance.
When i did invoke it there was really no discussion int he thread, and i felt like the game was lagging, as a mod...cant let that happen.
link
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

With no leniency on the deadline, I guess we have no choice but to test the Scooperino.

Scoop 

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'm going to bed and I don't want this to go to random.org so....
 Scoop 

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm fine with the vote. Now you have something to analyze. Fare thee well my brave Vikings. Avenge my death. Newcastle, I'd like to see a return to the Viking world in the future. I have many more stories to tell. Oh, and no spoilers either. I will just follow along.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
purge

Post by purge »

I fear not the judgement, but we cannot hang our selection. They should die honorably in battle, that the Valkyries may carry them to the Halls should they be innocent. Surely the Allfather will turn away the English and we shall have victory, even in DEATH!!

Scoop 

I have been goaded into this. Your death will show us a traitor, or it will show us who pushed us to select you.

May the gods smile upon you in death.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Night 2 – CHROOOOME!

Scoop leaned forward at the head of the ship, feeling the roar of the waves, “CHRROOOOOOOME”, he let loose feeling the ocean spirit awash over him.

Lagom gave him an odd look then barked “ROW! ROW!” and with each command, the war band’s arms pumped forward in unison then back and the long boat surged knifing through the chilly waters. The warband had been rowing nonstop since that morning and each were exhausted but they each knew the day’s row was almost over.

Purge had his head cocked backwards, saw the sun creep to the edge the horizon and yelled “ROW!”

Scoop looked back over the ocean, still filled with wonderment and as the sun set, he let loose again, “CHROOOOOOOOOMEEEEE!”

Coopasonic had been about about to yell, but Scoop’s shout startled him for a second, he quickly regained his composure and shouted “HALT!” and despite their exhaustion the warband cheered.

The longboat hadn’t even slowed , when Qantaga brought up what most were thinking, “What happened to El Guapo last night? Wasn’t Arcanis the last to see him?”

“CHROOOOOOOOOOME” Scoop yelled eyes filling with forlorn and looking toward where the moon would rise.
Everyone stopped for a moment, Arcanis then replied to Quantaga’s original statement, “Hey wait a second. I didn’t see it happen. All I saw was that he’d been gutted with a pig skewer. “

“Not an easy way to go. Who would do such a thing?” Chaosraven said

“A…” Grund started to answer when…..

“CHROOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEE!” Scoop bayed at the rising moon.

Annoyed Grund finished his thought, “A maiden I’d say!”

“No maiden could kill a real Viking warrior. But its because El Guapo wasn’t a real Viking warrior that he died.” Truicy said. Eyes turned toward him. He’d spoken ill of the dead! “He was weak if someone got him by the fire, he didn’t deserve to be called a viking.”

Theohall quickly stood the boat rocking “Your ……………..”

“CHROOOOOOOOOOMMMMME” Once again Scoop shouted and flicked his head causing a long lash of dripping wet seaweed to fall to the long boards floor.

Theohall turned toward Scoop annoyed, Scoop simply shrugged and looked back over the waters. Theohall then finished his thought “Your dishonoring El Guapo’s name Truicy!”

Sensing the trouble could spin out quickly, RMC stepped between the two, “Keep calm. No need to dishonor the dead, Truicy.” he pointedly said, then turned to Theohall “He’s gone. We go forward. We focus on the raids now.”

“A real Viking wouldn’t have died sitting around a fire. There would be a fierce battle. He died a coward.” Truicy spat.

“CHHHHHHHHHHHHHHROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE” Scoop mournfully yelled toward the moon.

Remus, patience lost, jumped up from his seat behind Scoop “Enough of your shouts of Chrome, we’ve got a dead Viking to honor.” He then grabbed Scoop’s neck and ran a sword through his chest.

There was a collective gasp, as they watched Scoop slump to his knees.

Surprisingly there was no outrage. Scoop looked at the crew, “Why would you kill one of your own?” He asked more offended than panicked that he was on deaths door. He looked around, started to open his mouth then his life force simply vanished, and he slumped over dead.

SCOOP HAD BEEN A VIKING

NIGHT BOILERPLATE
Funeral Pyre Maker-Whose body shall you investigate?
Shaman – Whose aura shall you examine?
Priest – What person’s true nature do you wish revealed?
Guardian – Who shall you protect?
Magician – Will you unleash the elements?
Saboteurs - Who shall be the night Kill

ROSTER
1. Purge
2. El Guapo– Night Sacrifice
3. Remus West
4. Lagom Lite
5. Qantaga
6. Chaosraven
7. Grundbegriff
8. Truicy
9. Theohall
10. RMC
11. Coopasonic
12. Arcanis
13. Scoop– Death by Chrome!
Bayraktar!!!!

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grundbegriff wrote:I wish we had more time for this. Now that we have something to analyze, there's no time to do so.

The lack of anything happening kills the fun of the game. Without the deadline, we never get close to a lynch and without getting close to a lynch we never get a claim. If people would coalesce on a target in a reasonable time frame the deadlines wouldn't be necessary.

We could argue the merits of a surprise deadline imposed on the eve of a holiday weekend vs a deadline revealed at the start of the day.

Without the deadline we would still be limping with one or two vote changes a day and nobody getting more than 4 votes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
purge

Post by purge »

coopasonic wrote:

The lack of anything happening kills the fun of the game. Without the deadline, we never get close to a lynch and without getting close to a lynch we never get a claim. If people would coalesce on a target in a reasonable time frame the deadlines wouldn't be necessary.

We could argue the merits of a surprise deadline imposed on the eve of a holiday weekend vs a deadline revealed at the start of the day.

Without the deadline we would still be limping with one or two vote changes a day and nobody getting more than 4 votes.
You're just happy that we're in a night cycle, methinks.
theohall

Re: WW Viking Ship - Night 2

Post by theohall »

[ezmate]Driving back to Florida tomorrow and Wednesday, so won't be around much until Wednesday night. Will check the phone for updates during gas and rest stops.[/ezmate]
Newcastle

Re: WW Viking Ship - Night 2

Post by Newcastle »

Day 2 – Land ho!

The fourth morning rose. Purge had taken the final watch and was watching a wave when he heard something. “ SQAWK.” He turned, and looked up in the air to the source of the sound and saw a seagull circling the boat, then flap off toward west. Excitement shivered up and down his spine. “Land must be close.” He muttered to himself and started waking up the rest of the crew.

The first thing Remus West did was check the sunstone; he held the sunstone to his eyes, and made a few calculations. “We aren’t on target though. We’ve veered off course."

“Doesn’t matter land must be close, that’s the first bird we’ve spotted.” Lagom Lite said

“Everyone get ready to row”, Qantaga said, as another gull investigated the ship then flew off.

For the next hour the crew rowed with might. Then Chaosraven saw it. “LAND!” he shouted.

Everyone stopped, and peered over the bow. There indeed was land, but one thing was missing. “Where’s the abbey? Where’s our target?” Grundbegriff asked.

Worry racked the crew for a moment, then Truicy turned and looked south and pointed, “THERE! There’s our target.” Far to the south was a small spire rising from the sea.

“We’re far to the north of her.” RMC muttered.

“We’ve got another problem though” Coopasonic pointed toward land.

For a few moments everyone stared. But they were all waiting on Theohall who had the keenest eyesight.

Theohall stood still, eyes focused. “Yes. I’d say the hands of Valhalah have guided us here. Over there, “He pointed toward the land, “is a military structure. I just now saw 5 warriors walking around. They must be protecting their church. They must be dealt with first, otherwise they’ll come to the abbey’s rescue.”

Arcanis then stood, “They must feel our wrath then!” A cheer went up from the warband they knew combat would be soon.

The crew turned to sit back in their rowing spots when a large, magical explosion rocked the longboat. It was of such force that everyone was stunned for a few good moments. Then realization and confusion seeped simultaneously. It was clear two things had occurred:

First a large, magical explosion had gone off.

Secondly the blast had been centered where Theohall had been sitting and all that remained of him was one lonely jazzhand.

MOD NOTE -
To be clear, the Magician's power was used last night.
Please do not read more into the text than it being simply there for flavor/story.

DAY BOILERPLATE
Weaponsmith – Who will you Shoot?
Fighter – Who will you take to the grave with you?
All – Who will you lynch?

ROSTER
1. Purge
2. El Guapo – The Hors d’oeuvres
3. Remus West
4. Lagom Lite
5. Qantaga
6. Chaosraven
7. Grundbegriff
8. Truicy
9. Theohall -Death by Magic
10. RMC
11. Coopasonic
12. Arcanis
13. Scoop– Chrome death
Last edited by Newcastle on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bayraktar!!!!

Arcanis

Re: WW Viking Ship - Day 2

Post by Arcanis »

Ok we are down our Pyre maker and won't find out anything about their night kills and only Viking or English about the lynches. The seer still only has his first night scan, but the bad guys also only have their first night scan as well. The bad guys have essentially 2 unpowered players now too. Anything else obvious i'm missing for the summary of our situation?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
RMC

Post by RMC »

Arcanis wrote:Ok we are down our Pyre maker and won't find out anything about their night kills and only Viking or English about the lynches. The seer still only has his first night scan, but the bad guys also only have their first night scan as well. The bad guys have essentially 2 unpowered players now too. Anything else obvious i'm missing for the summary of our situation?
Yeah..Why didn't the protector protect Theo last night? He was outed, so was the most likely target... <shrugs> Maybe I missed something, but we might have lost our protector as well...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

RMC wrote:
Arcanis wrote:Ok we are down our Pyre maker and won't find out anything about their night kills and only Viking or English about the lynches. The seer still only has his first night scan, but the bad guys also only have their first night scan as well. The bad guys have essentially 2 unpowered players now too. Anything else obvious i'm missing for the summary of our situation?
Yeah..Why didn't the protector protect Theo last night? He was outed, so was the most likely target... <shrugs> Maybe I missed something, but we might have lost our protector as well...
The Magician (Emp power) - Once per game night cycle you may set off a powerful arcanic force that you can set off a evenings explosion. An explosion of such force prevents all other activity (except the night kill). The force of will need is such that you may only do this once during this journey (1 time power)
Newcastle wrote:Day 2 – Land ho!

The crew turned to sit back in their rowing spots when a large, magical explosion rocked the longboat. It was of such force that everyone was stunned for a few good moments. Then realization and confusion seeped simultaneously. It was clear two things had occurred:

First a large, magical explosion had gone off.

Secondly the blast had been centered where Theohall had been sitting and all that remained of him was one lonely jazzhand.
I think you can work it out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
purge

Post by purge »

Tight game. One miss with a successful night kill, and we lose.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

RMC wrote:
Coop laid it out. It is also the reason we know that the Seer for each team only has their night 1 info.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
purge

Post by purge »

... I just looked that up myself.

1) There was no other night activity
2) There should have been a kill BESIDES the explosion.
3) There are no other non-kill actions that can occur at night (conversion)

Our protector is alive, and likely protected the biggest target- our Pyre maker.
If our seer or weapons master are alive, the protector will be able to protect them successfully on a night of reveal. Besides the weaponmaster kill, their only value is in the proof that they are alive.

I would suggest that they use their power today (with feedback), which does several things:

1) It has a ridiculously high chance of hitting an Englishman.
(4 out of 9 since weaponmaster would not kill themselves :P)
2) It proves them as non-english to all.
3) It gives the Brits a target that can be protected
4) It still allows the group to bring to bear the success or failure, rather than leaving it to night-kill chance.

I refuse to accuse at this point and so should you : two wrong vikings and four brits piling on puts us at an almost assured loss.

They must be rubbing their hands with glee at this point.

MOD Question: It is implicit, but I'd like to be sure - the Brits get their own communication method (PM/Secret Forum) to coordinate, yes?
purge

Post by purge »

Correction: The WEAPONSMASTER only value after their proof is that they are clearly viking. The statement read wrong. Too many numbered lists. :P
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

purge wrote:Tight game. One miss with a successful night kill, and we lose.
This being the case I think we need to have the hunter shoot today. Even if it is essentially a blind shot it gives us another shot to find them before game over. If we vote on who to shoot then we can use those results just like a lynch vote yet the day won't end and we will still have our lynch opportunity regardless of the hit/miss.

10 - lynch miss leaves 5/4
9 - night kill 4/4 game over

10 - shoot miss leaves 5/4
9 - lynch miss - game over, hit leave 5/3
8 - night kill 4/3
7 - 1 more miss from here and we are done

10 - lynch hit leaves 6/3
9 - night kill leaves 5/3
8 - lynch miss leaves 4/3
7 - night kill 3/3 game over

10 - shoot hit leaves 6/3
9 - lynch hit leaves 6/2
8 - night kill 5/2
7 - lynch miss 4/2
6 - night kill 3/2
5 - lynch miss 2/2 game over

So basically we assure ourselves of two opportunities today by shooting and if we hit one of them we actually gain another miss chance (meaning right now we have 2 misses left if we take the shot and 1 miss left if we do not).

I say we shoot Chaosraven.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

purge wrote:... I just looked that up myself.

I don't think the EMP is a kill.
Remus West wrote: I say we shoot Chaosraven.
I'd bet anything on tru1cy being evil/english. As soon as he started drawing votes he disappeared off the face of the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

purge wrote:
MOD Question: It is implicit, but I'd like to be sure - the Brits get their own communication method (PM/Secret Forum) to coordinate, yes?
Yes.
Bayraktar!!!!

Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

coopasonic wrote:

Remus West wrote: I say we shoot Chaosraven.
I'd bet anything on tru1cy being evil/english. As soon as he started drawing votes he disappeared off the face of the game.
From my understanding the EMP just prevented anything but the night kill from working. However it was in the write up that the burst of magic (EMP) blew up Theo. I would hazard that they just picked Theo as their target and that is how it was fluffed for the write up, rather than the EMP actually causing a kill and that player having their choice supersede the regular night kill. It wouldn't make sense for the EMP to be the kill without that being stated in the rules.

I also think Tru1cy is evil, but I have been thinking that for a while.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I changed my mind. Shoot either Arcanis or coop.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Remus West wrote:I changed my mind. Shoot either Arcanis or coop.
Being a bit protective of Tru1cy or did Lagom steal your password? :wink: I've said since pretty early in day 1 that I thought he was evil and laid out my circumstantial evidence on it. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who sees it.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Arcanis wrote:
Being a bit protective of Tru1cy or did Lagom steal your password? :wink: I've said since pretty early in day 1 that I thought he was evil and laid out my circumstantial evidence on it. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who sees it.
I got nothing either way on tru1cy but it seems like everytime he disappears like this Evil makes a point of bringing it up.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This would be an incredibly bold move for a bad guy, though they are so close it hardly matters. If he was the berserker it would be perfect. You shoot me, I turn up good, you lynch him in response and he takes out another of us and the night kill seals the deal.

On the flip side I also have my suspicions of Arcanis, but they are not remotely well founded.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
purge

Post by purge »

coopasonic wrote:

1 references that the seer has nothing to offer today since no actions could have happened last night -HOWEVER- we should have had two deaths then, since protection should ALSO not have worked (rendering my point about our protector being alive being unproven since I've re-read and protection COULD NOT HAPPEN).

They could have decided to not kill someone, and it would be a balsy move however it would happen AFTER the explosion.
NIGHT BOILERPLATE
Funeral Pyre Maker-Whose body shall you investigate?
Shaman – Whose aura shall you examine?
Priest – What person’s true nature do you wish revealed?
Guardian – Who shall you protect?
Magician – Will you unleash the elements?
Saboteurs - Who shall be the night Kill
MOD: The description of the text indicated the explosion happened in the morning - we have to assume that was just flavor and this happened behind the night boilerplate. Is this correct, or can the Mage chose the time that their spell goes off? Just for the record: the explosion description implies that it is entirely separate from the night kill. Correct?

Assuming this is correct, the seer had no work, anything Theo could have learned would have been nulled (were he not the victim).

The brits get a kill, then they skip their night kill???
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

There is no way they could have done 2 kills like that. It would be incredibly unbalanced as it would allow them to do that night 1 and leave everyone wondering what was going on until a miss on day 1 pretty much seals the game for them.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

purge wrote:
MOD: The description of the text indicated the explosion happened in the morning - we have to assume that was just flavor and this happened behind the night boilerplate. Is this correct, or can the Mage chose the time that their spell goes off? Just for the record: the explosion description implies that it is entirely separate from the night kill. Correct?
Technically - Theohall was the night kill last night. Additionally they chose to use the EMP power. The EMP did not kill him.

Flavor wise:
The emp went off last night and I decided to use that as the means of death simply because it seemed like an interesting angle. THE EMP as cause of death is simply FLAVOR.
Bayraktar!!!!

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Obviously the baddies chose to use their EMP as a precaution so they could kill theohall without having to worry about protection. It also prevents scanning.

Unless Arcanis is a special, I'd bet he's evil. Shooting someone today might be a good idea, but I'm not sure. IF the Hunter agrees to it, he should self-out and we should discuss whom to shoot. That way, the intended target (e.g. Arcanis) may speak up if he is indeed a special.

Caveat to my Arcanis-fetish: It's really difficult to tell who's evil this early in the game. Qantaga or Chaosraven are excellent targets too, in my mind.

(Aren't there too many baddies this game? Four of them on 13 players?)
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lagom Lite wrote:Shooting someone today might be a good idea, but I'm not sure.
If you look at the numbers I posted you will see it is a good idea. If we shoot and miss we get another try at finding one of them. If we lynch and miss we lose. Seems like a simple thing to me. 2 attempts is better than 1.

Lets say we shoot Arcanis and he turns up Viking. We then get to try lynching and if we hit then the game will go longer than the night kill.
Lets say we shoot Arcanis and he tunrs up English. We then get to lynch and hit or miss the game will go longer than the night kill.
Lets say we lynch Arcanis and he turns up Viking. Game ends with the night kill.

Basically if we do not shoot and miss then we have to pray the protector gets a save or we are cooked. I don't like those odds since it is usually pretty easy to guess who won't be protected (as opposed to trying to guess will player X be protected).
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

We only have one more miss?
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Lagom Lite wrote:We only have one more miss?
Wow. Yeah. 10 players left. If we miss today we lose the game. This game is broken. But unlike the deus ex machina timit limit rule, there's nothing to be done about it (I think a time limit should be clearly stated at the beginning of each Day, otherwise it's arbitrary action by the moderator).

The Weaponsmith must shoot today.

I'm not the Weaponsmith. The Weaponsmith should come forward now.

I think Arcanis is a good target, but he should state if he's a special, first.
Is there anyone in hell?

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carefully read the thread before making posts didn't you.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

If given warning I'll brain dump before I die, as I would expect anyone else to do.