THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Fallout 3 Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

PR_GMR

Re: Fallout 3 Impressions

Post by PR_GMR »

Dave Allen wrote:INSTALLING :D
Oh, hells no! Not on page 1. :P
Follow me as I make films at: xterminatingangel.com
"Don't waste your time or time will waste you."--Muse, 'Knights Of Cydonia'
Fear the Wiki!
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

YES!!! :lol:
Fear the Wiki!
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

In anticipation, I played Fallout 1 as far as I could over the last couple of days. I always loved the game, but I never did get near finishing. Reimmersed myself into the world - it's still cool after all these years.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

PR_GMR wrote:YES!!! :lol:
Good job!

So, does anyone have any impressions yet? We are already on the second page!
Last edited by ChuckB on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Just got the game an hour ago. Spent some time with the girlfriend before diving into my computer room and turning out all the lights.

INSTALLING!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
RMC

Post by RMC »

Damn I am waiting for Steam to allow me to Download. My copy of the CE edition of the book from Amazon is on it's way here.

I work at home, and only have one meeting Tuesday...Might not get anything else done.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Installed!

Played through the first little section of the game. While I'm generally enjoying it and the tone of the game, I already got to a point that made me want to beat a designer with my shoe.

MILD SPOILER:

You're told you "have to get out of here! Now!!!" and so you leave your room and start making your way through the vault's corridors, avoiding guards and trying to keep out of fights...and about five minutes later you get a message "You should search your desk before you leave." That desk, presumably being back in my room which is now swarming with guards and rad roaches.

Awesome. Important safety tip; thanks Egon. Maybe next time come up with that nugget before I leave that room in such an all-fired hurry because you told me to, huh?
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

5.62 gig install
-not as much fun creating character's face (as Oblivion)
-I'm a jinxed blindman that nobody likes: Luck 1, Perception 1, Charisma 1
-most intriguing so far is the list of items kept score of in the pipboy:
Quests Completed
Locations Discovered
People Killed
Creatures Killed
Locks Picked
Computers Hacked
Stimpacks Taken
Rad-X Taken
Radaway Taken
Chems Taken
Times Addicted
Mines Disarmed
Speech Successes
Pockets Picked
Pants Exploded
Books read
Bobbleheads Found
Weapons Created
People Mezzed
Captives Rescued
Sandman Kills
Paralyzing Punches
Robots Disabled
Contracts Completed
Corpes Eaten
...and...
Mysterious Stranger Visits

-finished training and intro

-installed and runs flawlessly so far with all settings maxed out. (2.4 dual core, 2gigs ram, 8800GT)

I'm just about ready to leave the vault.
Want to see if terrain at a distance still "pops" into view or if they fixed it when modifying the engine.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
tgb

Post by tgb »

IGN gave it a 9.6, their only bitch being (some) character animations. I believe I'm off the fence, and in keeping with the pseudo-50's atmosphere, will be playing the typical hero/scientist of 50's SF (think John Agar or Gene Barry in War of the Worlds). Heavy on charisma/intelligence/agility, somewhat lucky, and good with fists and small sidearms.

Except now Steam says 6 hours to release. And we're supposed to be going dancing tonight.

Crap. Maybe I'll run out to Best Buy at lunch.

Double crap. I just remembered I have to stay home and wait for 2 different repairmen today. Looks like I won't be able to play until tomorrow. :(
Last edited by tgb on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Grimwar

Post by Grimwar »

I have done the first few missions now after you leave the vault. The world is pretty cool and I find myself being a lot more careful than I did in Oblivion. I definitely feels like Oblivion, but better in my opinion. I have ran into some nasty guys that are no easy chore to get rid of. So far I like the VATS system. You are limited on how much you can use it, it is more of a supplement to regular combat, unless you dodge incoming attacks long enough to let your AP recharge. I find it more efficient to just use VATS as a compliment to regular run and gun.

So far the voice acting is top notch, except for the chick in the supply store in the first town you go to. She is annoying as all hell. She will be getting what is coming to her soon!

I did not realize this was coming out today, so I bought after work at the Gamestop midnight sale. I had just purchased FarCry 2 on Sunday and that is now getting shelved until I finish Fallout.

So far I am liking it. The leveling is much more straight forward than Oblivion, the world is better from what I have seen and combat is interesting. I don't regret my day one purchase.
Now Playing: Rift, Dwarfs!?, Outland
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

Moar impressions to tide me over until I have time to play it tonight!

:horse: :coffee:
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Interesting. The game does not even ask for a serial number during install. There is a LIVE Access Key which I assume is how you will download patches.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

1up.com gives it an A+.
Faults be damned, though; this is the kind of hugely ambitious game that doesn't come around very often, and when it does, you'd be a fool not to play it and enjoy the hell out of it and look forward to the day (next-next-gen?) when the fidelity of open-world RPGs takes another big step closer to the uncanny valley's far side.
Fear the Wiki!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tgb wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I don't play console games, but Circuit City was advertising a free strategy guide and $10 gift card for this game during football yesterday.
According to the newspaper ad, that applies to the PC version as well.

Still haven't fallen off the fence on this one, so I am doing my part to move things along to page 2.
It's still a console game. PC compatibility on a console game = lipstick on a pig.
Black Lives Matter
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I'm buying the game anyway, but I have a question on viewpoint:
Can you choose to play entirely in first-person if you so desire? Or is it mostly third-person with FP just for aiming, or what?

Also, how does it handle transitions to interior? Is there loading to enter buildings (like Oblivion), or is it seamless?
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Debris

Post by Debris »

With all of the glowing reviews coming out, I was wondering how things were going over at NMA and how the game release was being viewed.

Damn, those are some bitter, bitter people over there.
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

Giles Habibula wrote:I'm buying the game anyway, but I have a question on viewpoint:
Can you choose to play entirely in first-person if you so desire? Or is it mostly third-person with FP just for aiming, or what?
This is my question as well. Can anyone with the game offer an opinion on how playable the game is from a third-person perspective? Can you aim reasonably well? Is there an independent reticule or is it centered on your person the way it is in Oblivion?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I haven't played it yet myself but most are recommending to play in first person so I would imagine you won't need 3rd person at all.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

Octavious230 wrote:I haven't played it yet myself but most are recommending to play in first person so I would imagine you won't need 3rd person at all.
For me, it's not a matter of need, it's a matter of wanting to avoid the inevitable nausea and headaches that come from most first-person games. :cry:
Last edited by B Dog on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Octavious230 wrote:I haven't played it yet myself but most are recommending to play in first person so I would imagine you won't need 3rd person at all.
Thanks. I asked because most of the screenshots I've seen show third-person view for some reason, and the 1up review doesn't even mention it.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

Debris wrote:With all of the glowing reviews coming out, I was wondering how things were going over at NMA and how the game release was being viewed.

Damn, those are some bitter, bitter people over there.
I haven't ventured there but at another similar site one post basically says that anyone rating the game good was paid off. Since there are bugs or areas that could be improved it should not be getting high scores. Others just says its what they expected 'Oblivion with Guns' as if its a bad thing. A post that those who enjoy it are those who never played the Fallout games. I don't think any of them have played it so it will be more interesting then.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I did a last second switch of my version from PS3 to 360. Some of the reviews were saying the PS3 didn't have quite the graphics, and they didn't include trophies.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

B Dog wrote:For me, it's not a matter of need, it's a matter of wanting to avoid the inevitable nausea and headaches that come from most first-person games. :cry:
My impression of the first impressions is that you can function just fine with a 3rd person view as long as you can stomach some mediocre animations.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

I have the PC version in my hands....now I just have to wait until tonight to play.. :doh:
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Giles Habibula wrote:I'm buying the game anyway
Liar

:twisted:
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Got mine from CC just now at lunch but it was a rather confusing process. They advertised $10 off the $19.99 strategy with a coupon in the min-guide you get with buying the game. But the strat guide was priced at $24.99 and the coupon said 25% off. But luckily I didn't have to argue with them. They just adjusted the price to what the newspaper ad said, and with the $10 gift card, I got the strat guide free!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Went to my local CC.
They had the PS3 and 360 versions, but no PC :x

Grabbed a PS3 version so I could get the GC and Mini Strat Guide.

I will go back later and exchange it for the PC.

For anyone who has it, is the strat guide a must buy?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
RMC

Post by RMC »

Started my Steam D/L. Only have to wait 3 hours...ugh..

My pre-ordered Collectors edition Strat Guide from Amazon should be here any time today. :)

Yeah...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Got my CE from Best Buy this morning and just played a couple of hours. First impressions? So far, so great. Seriously. Everything is very polished, the world is atmospheric and gritty. It feels like Fallout.

Character creation is nicely integrated into the beginning of the game. If you're indecisive, though, there is a moment (just like in Oblivion) before you leave the Vault when you can change everything. I'd recommend a save before leaving in case you want to try different characters. Menus and interface all seem very PC-friendly. No big console-centric inventory fonts here. And on the viewpoint question, I'd say it's just like the Elder Scrolls games--primarily first person, with an option third-person view if you want it.

More later. Back to the game.
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

stimpy wrote:Went to my local CC.
They had the PS3 and 360 versions, but no PC :x

Grabbed a PS3 version so I could get the GC and Mini Strat Guide.

I will go back later and exchange it for the PC.

For anyone who has it, is the strat guide a must buy?
I don't think any strat guide is a must by. In a few days/weeks anything you want to find will be on the web. But that said, this is a very nice guide, one of the best I think I've seen in a long time. It has a great section on character selection and development, which is as far as I've browsed, not wanting to spoil myself.
Debris

Post by Debris »

I bought the strat guide, which I usually don't do, just based on physically picking it up and thumbing through it at the store. It's freaking huge and is jam packed full of information.

Is it a must have? Hell, I don't know. But with all the information included, I don't see how I won't be needing/wanting it at some time.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

msduncan wrote:I did a last second switch of my version from PS3 to 360. Some of the reviews were saying the PS3 didn't have quite the graphics, and they didn't include trophies.
I got the PC version but wanted the PS3 too. I held off on the PS3 because of the lesser graphics and no trophies comments in reviews. I wonder if a patch will be available that will add the trophies.

Did anyone else have problems signing into windows live? I get the error message "can't login because of an invalid registery code'? I never had to enter the Fallout 3 access code.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Torfish wrote:
msduncan wrote:I did a last second switch of my version from PS3 to 360. Some of the reviews were saying the PS3 didn't have quite the graphics, and they didn't include trophies.
I got the PC version but wanted the PS3 too. I held off on the PS3 because of the lesser graphics and no trophies comments in reviews. I wonder if a patch will be available that will add the trophies.

Did anyone else have problems signing into windows live? I get the error message "can't login because of an invalid registery code'? I never had to enter the Fallout 3 access code.
Rumors only , but I've heard they won't be adding in Trophies.

Achievements in a game like this are very important to me -- they help direct you to things you might not otherwise have done in a game this large.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

INSTALLING! :D
tgb

Post by tgb »

Just had time to run out to BB between repairmen. I really should get some work done this afternoon..................
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Just received my collector’s edition. Little disappointed that the art book is so small; from some of the early photos I thought it was going to be full size. Oh well. Installing.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a Fallout metal lunchbox? Holy...
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

I played for a few hours last night after picking up the PC version at a GameStop midnight opening. I was surprised at the turn-out, there being about 25 people there. Say what you will about Bethesda, but there wouldn't have been a midnight opening at all for the Black Isle Fallout 3 that was canned at the end of their existence.

As for the game, I'm generally happy with what little I've seen so far. I exited the vault, but already realize I missed some things and made some unnecessary mistakes. I may restart because of that. I don't want to spoil things, but the vault itself was a disappointment to me, mainly because I was hoping/expecting something of a more fleshed out version of the classic layout. Instead they made changes. I'll just say this: no elevators, just stairs.

The combat is also taking me some getting used to. Vats is fine, but as mentioned above, you can't use it all the time. When being charged by an enemy, you can do your Vats shot, but once the animation is run, you are suddenly thrown back into real time and that can be disorienting. In other words, the combat doesn't seem to flow very well. My initial sense is that Vats makes more sense for aimed distance shots then a run and gun situation.

On top of that, one thing I was concerned about seems to evident. Since the game is using character skill and ability to determine hits and damage with guns, it's very frustrating to fire off a bunch of headshots and not see the enemy drop. Part of it, I'm sure, is that I'm just coming off of FarCry2. But, I still think that if I hit a guy in the face with a 10mm pistol shot, he should drop.

All the above points are minor, however, as the world is pretty impressive so far and it's definately an RPG. Tons of people to talk to, quests to take on, places to go, etc.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Do my eyes deceive me or is that a Fallout metal lunchbox? Holy...
Absolutely. The version that should be arriving for me today not only has the vault-tek lunchbox but also the Pip-boy clock.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sarkus wrote:On top of that, one thing I was concerned about seems to evident. Since the game is using character skill and ability to determine hits and damage with guns, it's very frustrating to fire off a bunch of headshots and not see the enemy drop. Part of it, I'm sure, is that I'm just coming off of FarCry2. But, I still think that if I hit a guy in the face with a 10mm pistol shot, he should drop.
I think part of what you said is wrong. Skill and ability does not determine hits - your leet aiming skills do - I'm pretty sure Todd Howard said that. But skill and ability do affect your damage which is what you are seeing. But is that different than any other RPG? I could do a targeted shot to the head in FO1/2 and it wasn't automatic death early on. It's a feature of most RPG's that guns just aren't as deadly as they are in real life mainly for gameplay reasons.