2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

O, the weather outside is...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: O, the weather outside is...

Post by jztemple2 »

The track has shifted a bit west during the day which should lessen the impact to Central Florida tomorrow. We had a rain band go through earlier and thanks to the excessive heat today (110+ heat index) it turned into a really strong line of thunderstorms.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With the west shift of the track the rain projections are also shifting as well:

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The 11pm EDT update just came out. It shows Hurricane Idalia coming ashore just southeast of Tallahassee at 8am tomorrow with max sustained winds of 130 mph with gusts to 160 mph. That's borderline Category 4 :shock:

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

As of 3am EDT (don't worry, I just woke up and am going back to bed)

Enlarge Image
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Probably couldn't find a better place to hit in Florida, unless you're one of the under 600 people living in Steinhatchee of course.
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Radar as of right now. I'm just east of Cape Canaveral (the bump in the middle of the east coast of Florida, north of Palm Bay on the map) and we haven't gotten any real wind, but it has been and will be raining off and on for awhile. People in south Georgia are getting a lot wetter.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Had a bit of a scare just now with a tornado warning. Radar confirmed tornado less than half a mile from my house. Had the family, 2 cats, and a dog huddled in the half bath. :lol: Fortunately it fizzled out and never touched down.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:19 pm Had a bit of a scare just now with a tornado warning. Radar confirmed tornado less than half a mile from my house. Had the family, 2 cats, and a dog huddled in the half bath. :lol: Fortunately it fizzled out and never touched down.
But no sharknados? My daughter really wants to see one, she watched all of the documentaries.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:19 pm Had a bit of a scare just now with a tornado warning. Radar confirmed tornado less than half a mile from my house. Had the family, 2 cats, and a dog huddled in the half bath. :lol: Fortunately it fizzled out and never touched down.
Where is here? Georgia? South Carolina?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:38 pm
Where is here? Georgia? South Carolina?
YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 pm
jztemple2 wrote:Where are you located?
I'm in Wilmington, so we were about 45 miles from landfall.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We were in Wilmington a few years ago. I'm imagining the beaches around Cape Fear got pretty beaten up.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Report from my family in Jacksonville: "We've seen afternoon thunderstorms that were more impressive."

Sounds like the east coast of FL really avoided any substantial impacts, as the storm hit the Big Bend area and then headed north and east into GA and up the coast. Personally, I'm thankful for that track, as my kids were on a flight today from Portland to visit their grandparents and my sister's family in Jacksonville. They connected through Charlotte, NC, landing at about 8:00 PM and then in Jacksonville at 10:30 after a short layover. They said the flights were uneventful, and no significant weather impacts.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's busy out there in the Atlantic, but it's that one orange area that has my attention right now.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting video and text article, Seaport Canaveral meeting fuel demand for hurricane recovery
Fuel trucks are converging on Port Canaveral to bring much needed help to the Hurricane-ravaged Big Bend area.

And Thursday, with the port back open, there was an assembly line as the trucks are lining up at the pumps.

Seaport Canaveral can handle 600 trucks a day, with each spending just 17 minutes to become fully fueled.

“We’re the largest independent terminal in the state of Florida, not the largest market," said Seaport Canaveral General Manager David Smith. "We act almost like a strategic reserve for the storm."

Smith said 3 million barrels of fuel are held at the port, making it the ideal spot to turn to after hurricanes to help with the problems the Big Bend area is going through now.

Smith said due to the demand from the storm, the port saw 50 extra trucks come through Tuesday and 100 more Wednesday.

And Thursday, the rigs just kept lining up.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This summer was our second-rainiest on record, surpassed only by 1955, when two hurricanes brushed the area within a week.

Last summer was the driest in 138 years.

Two summers ago we had the fourth-wettest ever. I'm sensing a pattern.
Climate change experts warn that extreme weather is becoming increasingly common. July was likely the planet’s warmest month on record, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Zachary Zobel, assistant scientist and risk associate director for the Woodwell Climate Research Center in Falmouth, said climate change is leading to more “boom or bust” precipitation patterns in the Northeast and most of the country.

“This means that dry periods tend to get longer and when precipitation occurs, it is occurring all at once in the form of extreme events,” Zobel said by email Thursday.

Auroop Ganguly, a Northeastern University professor and director of the Global Resilience Institute in Boston, said extreme shifts in weather are known among climate scientists as “drought-to-deluge” cycles and are expected to become more common as global temperatures rise.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:22 pm What ever happened to the Meal and his family?
Thanks for thinking of us, dbt. Idalia did a bit of stalling out over Cozumel, so our trip started with some not so vacationay weather, but nothing worse than big winds and wet skies. Things improved as the week has gone on, and the 17 of us are having a great time. One departs today and the rest of us leave tomorrow.

Internet is a hotspot through my phone, so OO is a bit of a rare treat. Hope you’ve found some positive news since we’ve been gone….
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

That does not look good for somebody. :shock: The spaghetti models feel a bit more encouraging though.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I was reading a write-up on the storm, they note that it's the first time they identified a tropical storm that would intensify to a Cat 4 this early. Usually there is more uncertainty, but the Atlantic out there is very warm and there are almost no conditions that will interfere with the intensification.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:45 pm I was reading a write-up on the storm, they note that it's the first time they identified a tropical storm that would intensify to a Cat 4 this early. Usually there is more uncertainty, but the Atlantic out there is very warm and there are almost no conditions that will interfere with the intensification.
That's probably a trend that will continue. Frightening.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Apparently, most of the spaghetti seems to be keeping Lee in the Atlantic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:02 pm Apparently, most of the spaghetti seems to be keeping Lee in the Atlantic.
According to a forecast that I watched last night, if a high pressure trough steers the jet stream as expected we'll be fine; it will deflect Lee out to sea. If that trough is weaker than expected or stays farther west than expected, Lee could make landfall toward the end of next week anywhere between the Carolinas and Nova Scotia. But I hope that was just a meteorologist looking for drama.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:07 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:02 pm Apparently, most of the spaghetti seems to be keeping Lee in the Atlantic.
According to a forecast that I watched last night, if a high pressure trough steers the jet stream as expected we'll be fine; it will deflect Lee out to sea. If that trough is weaker than expected or stays farther west than expected, Lee could make landfall toward the end of next week anywhere between the Carolinas and Nova Scotia. But I hope that was just a meteorologist looking for drama.
It seemed likely to piss all over Bermuda from the projections I saw this morning.

This weekend is the kid's birthday party. 10 days ago, I ordered a bounce house for the party and since the early forecast was 85, I got one with a splash pool. They were both born on 95 degree days. Their parties since have been 60's and 70's. Current forecast is low-70s, going to need to have the firepit going all day I think.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're doing our annual apple-picking/winery expedition this Saturday. The forecast is looking a little rainier than it was when we committed. Today Wife asked if we should postpone to next weekend. Uh, there's a small chance of hurricanes then, so let's go with the scattered thunderstorms. I reserved a hightop under the roofed patio at the winery, so unless the weather turns violent we WILL drink wine.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What a strange weather tonight. Nothing at all in the forecast about rain when the weather was on an hour ago. The current live map shows nothing at all. The 7 days said nothing. Yet open the door and its coming down in buckets.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:51 am We're doing our annual apple-picking/winery expedition this Saturday. The forecast is looking a little rainier than it was when we committed. Today Wife asked if we should postpone to next weekend. Uh, there's a small chance of hurricanes then, so let's go with the scattered thunderstorms. I reserved a hightop under the roofed patio at the winery, so unless the weather turns violent we WILL drink wine.
The area we're going to tomorrow got clobbered tonight. Lots of trees down and power out. Tomorrow's forecast has a chance of more of the same. The storms usually develop around sunset, and we will be done before then. Even if the rain holds off for the early afternoon apple-picking (which only takes half an hour) we have a table under a roof at the winery, so we can handle some rain later on if it doesn't bring an attitude.

We've been doing the apples/winery routine for 25+ years and only gotten rained out once. Pray that it won't become twice tomorrow.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Watching some of the college football games from San Diego yesterday(road trip), it seemed like the Atlantic coast was absolutely drenched with bonus lightning and thunder yesterday.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm several miles from the coast and 100+ feet above sea level so no worries there, but the ground is saturated from all the rain we keep getting; if Lee dumps several inches more, things could get challenging. In the 34 years we've lived in this house, our cellar has flooded twice (and taken on less water a few more times). Once the water table gets high enough, it seeps in through any crack it can find. I've sealed the cracks that betrayed us in the past, but a 108-year-old foundation is going to make more if it starts to float.

Last I heard, Lee had jogged a bit to the east, which is good. If it wanders west and/or stalls between now and tomorrow night, it could be trouble.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lee is turning into a non-event here. It's kind of breezy and there's a 25% chance of rain overnight. While I would have enjoyed a little low-level drama, this is not a complaint.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Something interesting off the east coast of Florida. Folks further north may want to keep an eye on this

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

That feature is turning into a potential tropic storm which will make it nasty on the Carolina coasts in a couple of days.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

.....peachy perfect. low 80s for highs low 60s for lows..no humidity really. Its nice. I gotta mow this weekend though it seems before the rain.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Not a very good hurricane year so far for climate alarmists. Still two months left though. :wink:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Stay safe NYC area OOers

Maybe next year, maybe no go