Arkham - Processing Movement and Battle

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

redrun

Re: Arkham - turn 2 beginning

Post by redrun »

Qantaga wrote:
I failed the Horror check. No big deal there, I can take the -1 Sanity hit.

My combat rolls were... wait for it... 3,3,1,1,1,3,2,4

So, my options are:

1. Use Mandy's re-roll.
2. Get sucked into the nearest gate. That's not a bad option, since Gloria has some other world benefits, but I only have 4 clues, so I won't be able to seal the gate on my return. :(
3. Spend clues, but I would have to get 3 successes of 4 clues, so it would probably just be a waste of clues.
A couple of things:

I think you're owed one more combat die: Fight (3) + bullwhip (1) + .38 (3) + Newcastle spell (3) + relationship ability (1) - monster effect (2):
3+1+3+3+1-2=9
Also, you can exhust the bullwhip to reroll one die.
So, it's possible that you can get some successes before we need to decide about the reroll and/or using clues.
Sufficient I am to the day.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Good catch on the relationship thing. Q is indeed 1 die short right now.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:Good catch on the relationship thing. Q is indeed 1 die short right now.
:binky: Is the the quantity of dice he is short or what you plan to roll for him? :P :binky:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RMC

Post by RMC »

I get 4 dice to get 3 successes, and I think I only get that far if I make my check, correct?

So I think it is better to gamble the clues on a chance to maybe getting lucky. But if the hive mind say nada, I will not do that. But my current thoughts are go for the spending of clues.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

my casting that spell, intervene did that kick in?
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RMC wrote:I get 4 dice to get 3 successes, and I think I only get that far if I make my check, correct?

So I think it is better to gamble the clues on a chance to maybe getting lucky. But if the hive mind say nada, I will not do that. But my current thoughts are go for the spending of clues.
Did you cast Wither or Shrivelling? Since I guess you're down to 1 sanity either way you might not be able to pay the sanity cost for Shrivelling, but Wither would give you three extra combat dice.

Also, one rules question: does RMC need to get all the hits to kill the monster in one round? Like, if he gets two successes, he takes the 3 stamina hit. In the next round of combat, does he just need two more successes, or does he need to get all four at once?
Black Lives Matter.
redrun

Post by redrun »

RMC wrote:I get 4 dice to get 3 successes, and I think I only get that far if I make my check, correct?

Only get that far if you make your check, yes.

First roll will be your fight stat + weapon stats + anything_else_that_gives_a_fight_bonus - Monster fight stat.
Monster stat is -1.
Weapon is +2 * .5 due to monster physical resistance = 1
Fight stat appears to be 2.

So 2 + 1 - 1 = 2 fight dice to start with. Four hits to kill it. If you got real lucky, 2 fight dice + 2 clues could kill it. More likely, is two fight dice + 4 clues would be two hits, reroll of four dice would average 1 & 1/3 hits - so 3 & 1/3 hits on average.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

redrun wrote:

Only get that far if you make your check, yes.

First roll will be your fight stat + weapon stats + anything_else_that_gives_a_fight_bonus - Monster fight stat.
Monster stat is -1.
Weapon is +2 * .5 due to monster physical resistance = 1
Fight stat appears to be 2.

So 2 + 1 - 1 = 2 fight dice to start with. Four hits to kill it. If you got real lucky, 2 fight dice + 2 clues could kill it. More likely, is two fight dice + 4 clues would be two hits, reroll of four dice would average 1 & 1/3 hits - so 3 & 1/3 hits on average.
But he also has the Wither spell, which requires a Lore +0 roll but would give three extra dice. So that would mean a Wither check of three dice to get one success, and if that's achieved then it's five dice to get four hits.
Black Lives Matter.
redrun

Post by redrun »

El Guapo wrote:

Did you cast Wither or Shrivelling? Since I guess you're down to 1 sanity either way you might not be able to pay the sanity cost for Shrivelling, but Wither would give you three extra combat dice.

Also, one rules question: does RMC need to get all the hits to kill the monster in one round? Like, if he gets two successes, he takes the 3 stamina hit. In the next round of combat, does he just need two more successes, or does he need to get all four at once?
Each fight round is a new round, and hits from old rounds do not stay around. All four at once.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Long day at work. Sorry I haven't been able to check in yet today.
redrun wrote: So, it's possible that you can get some successes before we need to decide about the reroll and/or using clues.
Remus West wrote:Good catch on the relationship thing. Q is indeed 1 die short right now.

I'm not sure how the one extra die works. I suppose Remus rolls it to see if I get one success, then we decide if I use clues to try to get the other two successes?

As far as the re-roll goes, I'm happy with whatever you think is best redrun.

I don't mind getting pulled into the gate. If I had 5 clues instead of the 4 I have now, it would be a no-brainer but, alas, I would only be able to close the gate, not seal it. :(

If you think the re-roll could be best used elsewhere, I'll be fine going through the gate. If you think I am the best bet for the re-roll, surely I'm due (even with Remus rolling ;))

Sure wish RMC could use the reroll, though.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I keep teling you, I don't actually roll any dice. The app does it for me. The app hates you not my dice.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW the app seems to like me fine.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:FWIW the app seems to like me fine.
It's been good to Darrell so far too. Made my Evade last turn, and kicked some serious Ghoul ass with my bare hands (4 hits out of 4 dice). I think I was pissed about my friend Carolyn Fern disappearing in the neighborhood and took it out on the Ghoul.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Qantaga wrote:

So, my options are:

1. Use Mandy's re-roll.
2. Get sucked into the nearest gate. That's not a bad option, since Gloria has some other world benefits, but I only have 4 clues, so I won't be able to seal the gate on my return. :(
3. Spend clues, but I would have to get 3 successes of 4 clues, so it would probably just be a waste of clues.
Last die owed to Qantaga : 5!!!!!! :shock:

So, he got:
3,3,1,1,1,3,2,4,5 for 1 success of the 3 needed. Let me know what you would like to do.
redrun

Post by redrun »

Remus West wrote:
Qantaga wrote:

So, my options are:

1. Use Mandy's re-roll.
Last die owed to Qantaga : 5!!!!!! :shock:

So, he got:
3,3,1,1,1,3,2,4,5 for 1 success of the 3 needed. Let me know what you would like to do.
Is there still a reroll from the whip?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Yes. That is his full single attempt. I sent him a PM to remind him to let me know what he would like to do.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Sorry all, had a busy day yesterday.

It looks like my options are:

1. Use my four clues to try to get 2 successes.
2. Use Mandy's reroll (with the clues still available, if needed).
3. Go through the gate (not a big deal, I just won't be able to seal it with only 4 clues).

I'll let redrun decide if it's worth the reroll or if someone else could put it to better use. Then, we can decide between clues and gate, if the reroll is better saved for someone else.

Of course, any advice is greatly appreciated.
redrun

Post by redrun »

Qantaga wrote:Sorry all, had a busy day yesterday.

It looks like my options are:

1. Use my four clues to try to get 2 successes.
2. Use Mandy's reroll (with the clues still available, if needed).
3. Go through the gate (not a big deal, I just won't be able to seal it with only 4 clues).

I'll let redrun decide if it's worth the reroll or if someone else could put it to better use. Then, we can decide between clues and gate, if the reroll is better saved for someone else.

Of course, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Have you used your whip reroll of one die? That could put you within one. The problem with you being thrown through a gate is that clues are less likely in the outer worlds, so the end result is likely to be you losing several turns (I think you're delayed if thrown through a gate) without any real gain. So, my recommendation would be to use the whip, than use clues.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

How much stamina damage would you take if you took the hit? Isn't taking the hit and then doing another round of combat another option as well? Or does this failure = getting sucked through the gate?
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:failure = getting sucked through the gate
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I don't think the odds are in RMC's favor even with the re-roll -4 hits is gonna be hit or miss even with 12 dice (if I have the count correct), I kind of think we need to use the re-roll for Q.

Unless... maybe Q wants to use the Flute?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I've been lightly following the Q & RMC reroll aspect. Need to look at the specifics.

But if RMC gets boned...how do we go about extracating him from that? I mean future planning of course.

Also - jenny is down to 5 bucks next turn...so i need to scrounge some funds here...probably hit the newspaper. Of course will be open to casting intervention on whomever.
Bayraktar!!!!

RMC

Post by RMC »

I think I am boned either way. this success does not get me through the gate, just one step closer. So I still have one more encounter after this if I survive it...

Let Q have the reroll I say, and let the luck gods do the damage to me. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
redrun

Post by redrun »

RMC wrote:Mine is automatic - Here is the text of my PM:

A Slimey Monster appears!
Dark Young
Physical Resistance (you only get 1/2 bonus from physical weapons)
Nightmarish 1 (even if you pass the horror check you take -1 Sanity)

+0 to horror check for 3 Sanity damage
-1 to Combat check does 3 Stamina damage

requires 4 hits to kill.

I knew there was a reason this game sits on my shelf and never gets played by my group. :grund:

-- More thinking out loud.

Common Items:
Cavalry Saber - 1 hand - $3
Physical Weapon
+2 to Combat checks

Wither - 1 hand
Casting Modifier: +0
Sanity Cost: 0
Any Phase: Cast and exhaust to gain +3 to Combat checks until the end of this combat.

I'm not sure what your current fight is, I think it's 2.
So, +3 dice from the Wither, +1 die from the Sabre (physical resistance), -1 die from the monster, +X dice (2?) from your current fight, up to +4 dice from clues.

5 fight dice + 4 clues for four hits. with the possibility of a reroll. Since you lose half your clues if you die there isn't a really good reason to try to save them.
redrun

Post by redrun »

So, we've got to make a decision.

Q has one hit, one die reroll, four clues, needs two more hits. If he uses Mandy's reroll he's got a really good chance of making the kill. If he doesn't, he gets thrown through a gate. Does he use the reroll and save his clues, does he use his clues, or does he just allow himself to be thrown through the gate?

At this point I'd recommend seeing what the one die reroll does. If it puts him at two hits I think using clues would be good - it clears a monster, gets another monster trophy for him, and leaves him in Arkham next turn (otherwise, he is thrown into the outer world and spends a couple of turns coming back). However, if he does go through a gate he can close it when he gets back - he just can't seal it (for the gate trophy and to prevent new gates in that location). So, perhaps, outer worlds aren't so bad (since he has a faint chance of getting the fifth clue via an other world encounter).

Opps. The closest gate to Q is Independance square. If I'm reading things correctly, Rshetts is about to close that gate. So Q would be thrown into the gate, the gate would close, and he'd be in a dead end. Reading the rules, it appears he'd NOT lose a turn for being thrown through the gate, would move forward one the following turn and have an outer world encounter, than the second following turn would attempt to come back to a closed gate, get lost in time and space and delayed (losing his next turn) but gaining the ability to come back anywhere in Arkham on his fourth upcoming turn. So, three turns to get back to Arkham. Not so bad.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If Gloria goes through a gate due to fighting she will have an Other World encounter THIS turn. Then she will move forward and have a second Other World encounter next turn. Then she will return to Arkham the following turn. If there is not an open gate to the Other World she is in she will be Lost in Time and Space. Gates opening to worlds she is not in do her no good in her attempt to return. That said, the gate she returns through does not need to be in the same location as the one she entered through it simply needs to open to the world she explored.

Also, closing a gate gets you the Gate trophy. Sealing the gate prevents new gates opening at that location and gives you the gate trophy.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Busy week, but I'm trying to keep up.

1. Pyperkub makes a good suggestion about the lute, but I think I want to save it for a multiple monster or more crucial encounter (plus it would put me at 2/1).

2. Remus, crack the bullwhip and let's see if that gives a second success.

3. Remus, will Gloria go into the gate rshetts2 is closing, or does she go through the nearest unoccupied gate?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Qantaga wrote:3. Remus, will Gloria go into the gate rshetts2 is closing, or does she go through the nearest unoccupied gate?
Nearest gate regardless of what is going on with said gate.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Qantaga wrote:Busy week, but I'm trying to keep up.

1. Pyperkub makes a good suggestion about the lute, but I think I want to save it for a multiple monster or more crucial encounter (plus it would put me at 2/1).

3. Remus, will Gloria go into the gate rshetts2 is closing, or does she go through the nearest unoccupied gate?
Whip reroll = 5 Success! 2 of the three needed. Would you like to spend Clue tokens or use Mandy's reroll or accept defeat?
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Remus West wrote:

Whip reroll = 5 Success! 2 of the three needed. Would you like to spend Clue tokens or use Mandy's reroll or accept defeat?

I think it's time to spend clues to try for the third success.

Let's see if redrun agrees that spending clues is the best plan (rather than the reroll).
redrun

Post by redrun »

Qantaga wrote:
Remus West wrote:

I think it's time to spend clues to try for the third success.

Let's see if redrun agrees that spending clues is the best plan (rather than the reroll).
I'd say to go with clues. Use the reroll if the clues fail.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I will try to update this tonight. Failing that it will have to wait until after the holiday as I will be leaving directly from work tomorrow.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Have a great Thanksgiving Remus and everyone.

Use my clues to try for the third success.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Is this game too difficult to run on OO? It is taking soooo long in between actions that I'm beginning to wonder if everyone lost interest.

Or are things going on behind the scenes and I just can't see it????
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

bb2112 wrote:Is this game too difficult to run on OO? It is taking soooo long in between actions that I'm beginning to wonder if everyone lost interest.

Or are things going on behind the scenes and I just can't see it????
Just that my time at home has gone from almost all free time to almost none and when I have had some I have chosen to pass out on the couch in exhaustion. Things should calm down the next week for me. I'm actually hoping to get this updated tonight but the slow pace has been completely on my end. Sorry.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Bump?

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

double bump
Bayraktar!!!!

bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote:I will try to update this tonight. Failing that it will have to wait until after the holiday as I will be leaving directly from work tomorrow.
Did you mean the Thanksgiving Day holiday or is there a different holiday implied? :pop:

Please don't say Easter, please don't say Easter, please don't say Easter
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

bb2112 wrote:
Remus West wrote:I will try to update this tonight. Failing that it will have to wait until after the holiday as I will be leaving directly from work tomorrow.
Did you mean the Thanksgiving Day holiday or is there a different holiday implied? :pop:

Please don't say Easter, please don't say Easter, please don't say Easter
Memorial day?
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote: Memorial day?
Now that is just cruel.