Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

Re: Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Post by rittchard »

Great point about the time jump!!! I had totally forgotten about that. I think the other thing we are supposed to be assuming is that in the relative years of peace, most if not all of the group has lost their "edge". There are hints of this in the writing the way Daryl is portrayed, similar with Rosita needing to train, etc. Although we've seen them train against zombies, it's not the same as dealing with humans who can plot against you. The only thing that jolted Carol back into the state we were more used to seeing our heroes in was seeing Henry die.

I attribute this again to a lack of consistent vision, maybe just too many cooks in the kitchen or too many distractions.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

They all got fat and lazy!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anyone else hate-watch last night's new episode? Oooof is all I can say. Ooof.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:59 am Anyone else hate-watch last night's new episode? Oooof is all I can say. Ooof.
Nope. Maybe tonight. TWD went from a show that I look forward to to one that I watch only when I'm caught up on everything else at least a season ago.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was FF through a bunch of segments last night. That's usually a sign (for me) that a show is about to fall out of my viewing window completely. And I'm not even going to comment on the sex scene. :hand:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:28 pm I was FF through a bunch of segments last night. That's usually a sign (for me) that a show is about to fall out of my viewing window completely. And I'm not even going to comment on the sex scene. :hand:
LMAO!!! Is that what constitutes a sex scene these days?

I actually thought the episode was very watchable in an action-adventure, cringe-worthy sort of way. ` I thought the action-oriented pacing was pretty fun to watch and you could tell they spent a lot of time on new sets and action pieces.

All that said, I was really disappointed in how they seem to have turned Carol into a crazy, babbling idiot, making one stupid move after another. I thought we had seen the last of it in the first half of the season and she'd redeem herself, but it looks like they want to drag it out longer and further.

I'll reserve my judgment until I see what inane way they write Michonne off. If they can do it in a not horrible way, I will be pleasantly surprised.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:59 am Anyone else hate-watch last night's new episode? Oooof is all I can say. Ooof.
The reveal of the conveniently placed rocks made me laugh out loud in the opening. I was honestly surprised that they didn’t include the line “If you jump on a walker’s head, you’ll get a power up, guys!”.
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was thinking they had a major plot line tied to the one thing that can ruin any excellent video game - the jumping puzzle.
I actually thought the episode was very watchable in an action-adventure, cringe-worthy sort of way. ` I thought the action-oriented pacing was pretty fun to watch and you could tell they spent a lot of time on new sets and action pieces.
It was just such an odd tone, and cliche off the charts - culminating in the super-human big dude holding everything together (literally) until the last possible moment.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

rittchard wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:43 pm

All that said, I was really disappointed in how they seem to have turned Carol into a crazy, babbling idiot, making one stupid move after another. I thought we had seen the last of it in the first half of the season and she'd redeem herself, but it looks like they want to drag it out longer and further.

I'll reserve my judgment until I see what inane way they write Michonne off. If they can do it in a not horrible way, I will be pleasantly surprised.
Kind of how i felt, I enjoyed the episode and the claustrophobic feel of the cave was effective, and I also hate what they've done with Carol, from a strong leader to a weak mental case. I still enjoy the show, not as much as I used to, but I still do like more of the show than I dislike. But I do hope they are getting close to the end though.

And I didn't have a problem with the rocks placements, most caves I've been in have large rocks strewn about the floor. If the rocks had not have been conveniently located then they would have had to find another way out or die.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Too much darkness. My TV goes all pixelly in the dark, and too many scenes were just blobs of black.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I kept expecting Walker Sleestaks to appear.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I fast forwarded through the infamous Neegan and Alpha scene. I have no regrets about that. In all honestly those few seconds I spent fast forwarding where the best part of the show. If there was ever a jump the shark moment for Walking Dead and Glen under the dumpster wasn't it then the Neegan alpha scene certainly is.
FTE
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I enjoyed last night's ep quite a bit more than the previous one. I guess they are playing fast and loose again with time/travel/logic, but who cares, at least the fight sequences were fairly compelling in a way we haven't seen in a while.

After last week, it looked like the gang who escaped the caves all walked off kind of together, yet somehow at the end only Aaron arrives at Alexandria, huh? Did they split up on purpose because that totally makes sense? At least Daryl said he wanted to find another entrance so his ninja subplot was in line. Side note: the way he slaughtered so many of them stealthily makes you wonder why he doesn't just unleash himself and destroy their entire ranks. I love how one minute he's wolverine and the next.... he's not.

Daryl vs. Alpha - this was a pretty cool fight sequence, the only thing that ruined it for me was I wasn't quite sure he was fighting Alpha until she took her mask off lol. I felt like the body double or whatever just didn't move right or have the proper physique, so I kept half wondering if it was her. Aside from the slight distraction, it was a pretty hardcore fight, which I enjoyed. Of course you have to wonder why Alpha decided to take on Daryl by herself, but whatever. It was good to see him actually seem injure-able and human, and I liked that they finally had annoying whatsherface pick a side to help him. And specifically that it was him was consistent since he was the only one who was really pulling for her the whole time.

Beta vs. The Ladies - even better, having Beta burrow from underground (again highly suspect since they've been in Alexandria all this time with all the maps, and even had their own underground areas, remember Carl??? and never noticed a tunnel big enough to fit Beta?????) but again, who cares. This way we get BETA (arguably the only real threat in the show) vs. Rosita? WTF? I thought he was going to crush her in half just looking at her, but I liked that she picked up some Black Widow fight moves. I also liked Judith in the mix, as she hasn't been in much peril since they first introduced her. I wish she would have shot him a couple more times, or at least in the head. Her father or brother would have. Also good to see Thora/Mary stand up to him, even though she looked about as intimidating as Judith.

I'm not sure what to think about "Dark Gabriel" - I've never been a fan but I guess this is a slight improvement. Seems kind of forced to make him more appealing and manly enough to get Rosita.

It also felt like a lot of others from Alexandria were missing but I can't think of who. I guess the big guns were out roaming, and maybe the rest are in Hilltop?

The last portion with Alpha being reborn or whatever seemed kind of heavy handed, I'm not sure what we were supposed to get from all that. Maybe that she is fully cutting off from her daughter so now she should have no weaknesses or blindspots going forward?

All in all it was a good diversion on a night where I really needed one. YMMV.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I too really enjoyed the episode but hated Beta tunnel part. WTF, I know they haven't had time to tunnel that far because I know the RV wasn't parked right outside Alexandria...and as you say no one has noticed with all the other tunnels they had, :roll:

and they could rally learn from Zombieland...Double Tap!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I wasn't a fan of the Beta section too be honest. too many normal monster movie mistakes.
1) I really can't see someone as large as him being all ninja stealthy the entire time.
2) When what's her name catches him with the pike at his throat, he should have been spiked right then and there. Either a surprise attack or once he was against the wall she should have just get going.
3) How did Beta even know where the jail was? Or that Mary had fled into Judith's house?
4) Judith should have known to aim for the head and if not, Mary should have taken the gun and done it.
5) How did Gabriel miss Beta? How did any of them? He was surrounded.

I also did not realize it was Alpha fighting Daryl.
How the hell did whats her name carry Daryl?

I am more hopeful about next week.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Definitely a better episode. Every now and then, they deliver one that gives you hope.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just feel like they’re creatively bankrupt at this point. All these stories just seem to be the same tale told over and over again, with nothing but name changes to differentiate them.

They need to take some chances. Shake things up.
Now depoliticized.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:47 pm I just feel like they’re creatively bankrupt at this point. All these stories just seem to be the same tale told over and over again, with nothing but name changes to differentiate them.

They really should just end the show, and send the best characters to a spinoff. I know I'm a broken record, but killing Carl, who we now know from the comics was always intended to be the focal point of the series, destroyed the overall narrative. It's not that I mind an ensemble show or dislike the remaining actors/characters, but there was always something comforting in the series about being so grounded in Rick and Carl's stories.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’d like to see major characters die...but in common household accidents. Oooh, Daryl just escaped a zombie horde. But oh damn, he just slipped in the shower and hit his head on the sink.
Now depoliticized.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

rittchard wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:32 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:47 pm I just feel like they’re creatively bankrupt at this point. All these stories just seem to be the same tale told over and over again, with nothing but name changes to differentiate them.

They really should just end the show, and send the best characters to a spinoff. I know I'm a broken record, but killing Carl, who we now know from the comics was always intended to be the focal point of the series, destroyed the overall narrative. It's not that I mind an ensemble show or dislike the remaining actors/characters, but there was always something comforting in the series about being so grounded in Rick and Carl's stories.
At this point Daryl is basically Rick. Can we start calling him DRick?
FTE
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Weekly update: last night we got a good episode without other context, with lots of good small moments leading to the start of a major battle.

The issues I had? First, it took way too long to build up to the big fight. An hour or so of exposition and only about five minutes of the good stuff lol. OK OK I realize they wanted to hype us for next week's major battle, but still. They could have advertised it as a two-parter or something so I wouldn't be expecting more action. That's not really the episode's fault, but just my own expectation I guess. The other problem I had was that it felt like a rehash of a prior episode, aka the "night before the battle" they've done perhaps more than once at this point. It might have been a different set of people this time but still the feeling was very reminiscent.

That said, when you start to boil down to the details, you get some touching moments. Judith giving Daryl his modified vest was really sweet, maybe my favorite moment of the episode. The pity sex between Carol and CancerKing. Daryl and Ezekiel making amends and setting up for next week's "save the children" calamity. Daryl and Carol on the road to forgiveness. Some fun stuff for Eugene/Rosita fans. But also some misfires like the people being dicks about not letting Mary see her nephew.

The Negan turn was interesting. I liked how they used his tactics to seal them in (though of course we are back in teleporting mode where apparently everyone can be everywhere at the same time), but even better how Alpha tricked him into thinking they were going to let them live. They've deviated significantly from the comics obviously but I still believe the intent is to have Negan save the day. I believe he had some sort of plan in mind but she blocked it. With everything about to be burned down it's looking pretty grim for him to do much now though. The preview scenes look like mayhem and I guess they are dumping Hilltop completely? Maggie gonna be pissed.

I guess the most important thing is I am excited to see how they "resolve" this next week. And we better get to see Judith kill some walkers or whatever!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Just finished watching this week's ep...

I really liked The Battle of Hilltop!

The first time I saw it when they called it Game Of Thrones.

And I'm gonna say it, Alpha was a lame character poorly acted. I fail to see the talent in whomever the well-regarded person in the role brought.

Same stupid lame accent in every line of dialog. It's like what a British person who has never been to the US thinks a bayou medicine woman should sound like. The fuck outta here...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Samantha Morton's acting was the only bright spot. She was great, as always.

The rest of the show? Not so much.
Now depoliticized.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:19 am Samantha Morton's acting was the only bright spot. She was great, as always.
Nope, she wasn't.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:30 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:19 am Samantha Morton's acting was the only bright spot. She was great, as always.
Nope, she wasn't.
You forgot to take into account you're wrong. :P
Now depoliticized.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:03 pm
Nope, she wasn't.
She was high school play good, not biggest show on television good.
FTE
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Scraper wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:18 am
Nope, she wasn't.
Correct, thank you.

I'm willing to have my mind changed if hepcat can put up a compelling argument. I suspect he thinks he is supposed to like her in the role due to the perceived casting coup of booking her. I just don't think it was anything but a hamfisted performance.
Last edited by Z-Corn on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

She was a one note character.
Had they explored a different side of her while she was Alpha, maybe she would have shown some acting chops.
As it was, she just didn't have anywhere to go with the character.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Her character was, as stimpy noted, limited. But her performance was strong. Morton is a great character actor, but even she couldn't save that role from being so poorly written. Still, she wasn't "high school acting" bad. Far from it. She managed to be pretty creepy. And her conflicted scenes with her daughter were often surprisingly touching in spite of that.
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:12 am
Scraper wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:18 am
Nope, she wasn't.
Correct, thank you.

I'm willing to have my mind changed if hepcat can put up a compelling argument. I suspect he thinks he is supposed to like her in the role due to the perceived casting coupe of booking her. I just don't think it was anything but a hamfisted performance.
Thankfully I don't feel any pressing need to try to convince you otherwise. I suspect you hated her simply because you hate the rest of the show and couldn't get past that long enough to recognize she was doing a good job of at least trying to make Alpha work.
Now depoliticized.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 am Thankfully I don't feel any pressing need to try to convince you otherwise. I suspect you hated her simply because you hate the rest of the show and couldn't get past that long enough to recognize she was doing a good job of at least trying to make Alpha work.
See? Now you're just being mean. I love the show.

You just really hate to have your opinions on TV, movies and comic books challenged.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Greatest High School Play Acting EVER!
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:00 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 am Thankfully I don't feel any pressing need to try to convince you otherwise. I suspect you hated her simply because you hate the rest of the show and couldn't get past that long enough to recognize she was doing a good job of at least trying to make Alpha work.
See? Now you're just being mean. I love the show.

You just really hate to have your opinions on TV, movies and comic books challenged.
Honestly, don't you think the same could be said of your responses? I even included a raspberry in my initial reply to show I was teasing you (although I still disagree with you), but the fact that I disagreed seemed to make you upset and you had to come back with:
I suspect he thinks he is supposed to like her in the role due to the perceived casting coup of booking her.
Which I thought was needlessly insulting when I was trying to be lighthearted about disagreeing with you.

But you probably should have just accepted that I disagreed with you and moved on if you want to go down this road. :wink:

p.s. here's a thought: let's agree to disagree and let it go at that.
Now depoliticized.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

It's OK buddy, I know you are upset about other things that have nothing to do with The Walking Dead or this conversation. I'm not taking it personally.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Likewise.
Now depoliticized.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Did not like last nights episode. Had a few good moments but mostly blah.
Spoiler:
Only part of her LSD tripping I liked was when she gave the speech as Negan's sidekick talking about the group killing people they didn't know in cold blood. I liked that she found something tied to Rick and she runs into the large group at the end in a defensive formation but then it's over. Michonne is off the show and that story will not advance any further unless it's in the movies they plan.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It felt over-long and slow-moving, and the tripping scenes didn't ring true. I knew they were going to write that character out, but the way they did it felt like a tangent. Did not like, except for
Spoiler:
trying to figure out if they were recreating the old scenes or editing Michone into clips. Took me a little while to realize it was the latter. As clips shows go, it was good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Season finale has been delayed as with the new series.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

That episode could have been a speech by Judith that lasted one minute and it wouldn't have lost anything. Didn't care for the trippy stuff at all.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

So I completed my journey through reliving TWD, thx Covid!!! I had already started re-watching a while back but stopped; this time I started from Season 3 and went all the way to the last episode of Season 10.

It's been an interesting rewatch ride. Portions I thought were much worse (Negan torture season) weren't as bad when you can zip through them, and portions I thought were more exciting (Negan war) were actually more irritating. The "war" in particular just felt like it would never end, just one gunfight after another. Major plot point also flowed differently, I felt more of an impact that our "good guys" made the first move with their slaughter-fest of the Negan outpost. This is accentuated in the Michonne finale episode, and is an interesting theme that gets touched upon (looking at our group from another's perspective) but not explored. The season I hated the most (where Rick is whiny and indecisive due to Negan) was much easier to watch than I remember, without the week/weeks of delays. Same with the wait/buildup to Carl dying, without all the hype and delay, it kind of flowed more naturally.

I think the best seasons were probably the earlier ones, maybe 4 and 5 (not counting season 1). Not that the prison was that great of a location, but it was a cool concept. The governor I'd argue was a better lead villain in that he had more interesting layers to him which you get to discover slowly. Negan may have the "layers" as well, but we get our first glimpse of him bashing heads in so it's hard to introduce character subtleties after that.

The other interesting thing for me personally was in the later phases I couldn't remember who died and when/how. So some of the "bigger" deaths were actually surprises. And some of the non-deaths were surprises too, like I could swear Lydia and Ezekiel had died.

As much as the show seems like kind of a clusterf- towards the end, I still feel invested somewhat in the main characters getting some sort of decent resolution. No idea how Covid delays will affect their plans, but after all the crap that went down, it would be really nice to see Rick and Michonne get a reunion with Judith to close out the series.