Fallout 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Sepiche »

UsulofDoom wrote:Looks like you can pre load now .I did receive my keys from Green Man Gaming and they both worked on steam.

I have a 250G SSD and a 1T HD. Do you think it would make much difference in play if I use the HD space instead?
I'm going to run a disk scan then defrag first. I know load times would be faster but I don't think it will effect game play putting it all on the SSD. I do have 16G of ram.
I know down load should be fast. I have 80 M Down 40 M up.
Like you said, load times would be significantly lower on the SSD, but with that much memory it *shouldn't* be too much of a difference once you're in game. That depends a bit on how the game is optimized, but you should be alright running it from the HD and if you have any performance issues you always have the option of moving over to the SSD.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

killbot737 wrote:
Hamlet3145 wrote:This may have already been mentioned, but the trolls are out in force with spoilers. Pretty sure I just had the ending spoiled for me while briefly glancing at the Steam forums to find out when the pre-load starts. :grund:
You win?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm preloading. I just had to launch it from the Steam shortcut to get the process started.

Must. Fiddle. With assets.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hamlet3145 wrote:This may have already been mentioned, but the trolls are out in force with spoilers. Pretty sure I just had the ending spoiled for me while briefly glancing at the Steam forums to find out when the pre-load starts. :grund:
War never changes?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What if that's the spoiler? What if you go back in time and change war?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's beginning...

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:
War never changes?
How do the trolls know? Did they get pirated copies or something?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Is it weird that I have hundreds of games I could play but I just can't get interested in any of them because FO4 unlocks in only 75 hours? :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote:Is it weird that I have hundreds of games I could play but I just can't get interested in any of them because FO4 unlocks in only 75 hours? :roll:
It is not weird. I'm having a similar problem. I just finished Painkiller yesterday. I've got a couple of evenings free, but don't want to be knee deep in some other game when FO4 unlocks. I need to figure out what I can play as a time-killer in the mean time, but drop on Tuesday.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Blackhawk wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:Is it weird that I have hundreds of games I could play but I just can't get interested in any of them because FO4 unlocks in only 75 hours? :roll:
It is not weird. I'm having a similar problem. I just finished Painkiller yesterday. I've got a couple of evenings free, but don't want to be knee deep in some other game when FO4 unlocks. I need to figure out what I can play as a time-killer in the mean time, but drop on Tuesday.
I have the same problem too. Nothing interest me but Fallout shelter. I have been buffing a hole bunch of dwellers to go explore.

We need info in how to activate Monday morning! !!!!!! :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

I will not check steam or a lot of other sites due to spoilers.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been downloading for 7 hours and I'm about halfway there.
I'll never download anything this big again.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
The app tethers wirelessly to a PC, PS4 or Xbox One running Fallout 4 with the Pip Boy mode enabled.
I have an Android tablet that connects wirelessly (802.11) to my router, but my PC doesn't have any kind of wireless capability (it's connected to the router by an ethernet cable). Does that mean I won't be able to use the app with the game?
I believe, based upon the companion apps I used in ACU and Watch_Dogs, that you connect the tablet directly to the internet, not going through your PC. The Android app on the tablet talks to the game servers which relay the info from the game running on your PC. Obviously this is all very dependent on the servers not being overloaded, not that there is any chance of that...

Please someone let me know if I'm wrong and you do actually connect the tablet to the PC; if so, I'll have to turn on my PC's wireless too.
To me, "tethering" implies that the mobile device is being connected directly to the PC in some manner (usb, bluetooth, wifi,...), such as when you tether a smartphone to a laptop so that the laptop can use the smartphone's data service in the abscence of a Wi-Fi hotspot, for example. If that's the case, then the app is a nonstarter for me since I'm not going to buy a Wi-Fi adaptor for my PC just to add a second-screen capability to the game, no matter how cool the Pip-Boy app actually is. If there's a way to connect the app to the game through the router, I'll use it though. If it actually is running everything through game servers that otherwise don't need to exist for a purely singleplayer game, I won't use it because that would just be puppies.

FWIW, I was fiddling with the app today. I hit 'PC' instead of demo mode earlier, and it told me it was scanning for devices, but was unable to find any. It also said that there is a setting in the game to turn the app functionality off and on. Later, when at ex's, I was showing the app to my kids. I accidentally hit 'PC' again, and instead of scanning for devices, it just told me that it couldn't find a wifi signal.

That strongly suggests that it simply connects via wifi to other devices on the network rather than through any direct connection.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
The app tethers wirelessly to a PC, PS4 or Xbox One running Fallout 4 with the Pip Boy mode enabled.
I have an Android tablet that connects wirelessly (802.11) to my router, but my PC doesn't have any kind of wireless capability (it's connected to the router by an ethernet cable). Does that mean I won't be able to use the app with the game?
I believe, based upon the companion apps I used in ACU and Watch_Dogs, that you connect the tablet directly to the internet, not going through your PC. The Android app on the tablet talks to the game servers which relay the info from the game running on your PC. Obviously this is all very dependent on the servers not being overloaded, not that there is any chance of that...

Please someone let me know if I'm wrong and you do actually connect the tablet to the PC; if so, I'll have to turn on my PC's wireless too.
To me, "tethering" implies that the mobile device is being connected directly to the PC in some manner (usb, bluetooth, wifi,...), such as when you tether a smartphone to a laptop so that the laptop can use the smartphone's data service in the abscence of a Wi-Fi hotspot, for example. If that's the case, then the app is a nonstarter for me since I'm not going to buy a Wi-Fi adaptor for my PC just to add a second-screen capability to the game, no matter how cool the Pip-Boy app actually is. If there's a way to connect the app to the game through the router, I'll use it though. If it actually is running everything through game servers that otherwise don't need to exist for a purely singleplayer game, I won't use it because that would just be puppies.

FWIW, I was fiddling with the app today. I hit 'PC' instead of demo mode earlier, and it told me it was scanning for devices, but was unable to find any. It also said that there is a setting in the game to turn the app functionality off and on. Later, when at ex's, I was showing the app to my kids. I accidentally hit 'PC' again, and instead of scanning for devices, it just told me that it couldn't find a wifi signal.

That strongly suggests that it simply connects via wifi to other devices on the network rather than through any direct connection.
Well, I don't think it tells me anything one way or the other. When I try that the result is:
No Devices Found

Please check your Fallout 4 Gamplay Settings. If Pip-Boy App Enabled is OFF, turn it ON, restart the game and scan for your device again.
At a minimum that means that the feature needs to be enabled in-game before the app will connect. Whether the connection can be through the network (tablet-wifi-router-lan-pc) or must be through a direct wireless tether (tablet-wifi-pc) seems to be up in the air until the game unlocks and I can enable the feature, or unless I can track down some info online on how it works (which I probably won't try to do at this point, to avoid stumbling over the plot spoilers floating around).

Two and a wakie (one and a wakie if I go hard core) and I'll know for sure. It's hardly a deal breaker if it doesn't work for my set-up.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Newcastle wrote:
Holman wrote:Must.... resist....

Every time a new Elder Scrolls / Fallout game comes out, I jump in on day one. This time I think I'm going to wait for a good crop of DLC and a Steam sale.

Have I become wiser, or am I just losing the thrill?
delusional....join the mad rush...you can't resist!
OK I caved.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:
I am the opposite, I guess. I keep thinking I should go pick up the new Need for Speed so I have something to do until Tuesday.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Holman wrote:
Newcastle wrote:
Holman wrote:Must.... resist....

Every time a new Elder Scrolls / Fallout game comes out, I jump in on day one. This time I think I'm going to wait for a good crop of DLC and a Steam sale.

Have I become wiser, or am I just losing the thrill?
delusional....join the mad rush...you can't resist!
OK I caved.
see its not so bad...
/checks watch
/counts down to the nanoseconds
/spits out another sunflower seed shell on the three foot pile
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Holman wrote:Every time a new Elder Scrolls / Fallout game comes out, I jump in on day one.
These are the only games I would ever pay full price for anymore. Well, I used a 20% off coupon on this one, but you know what I mean. They are the only games that have held my attention for like the past 10 years.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: I am the opposite, I guess. I keep thinking I should go pick up the new Need for Speed so I have something to do until Tuesday.
Word is that, despite being a SP game, it requires an always-on connection. There were screenshots on Reddit of a guy being kicked out of his game due to server maintenance.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AjD

Post by AjD »

RunningMn9 wrote:These are the only games I would ever pay full price for anymore. Well, I used a 20% off coupon on this one, but you know what I mean. They are the only games that have held my attention for like the past 10 years.
Me too. I know it'll be ambitious, and fun to explore for at least several weeks -- even if this particular release doesn't wind up being as amazing as one of their earlier efforts. (Or maybe it will blow us all away, who knows...)

I wish there were other games that offered first-person exploration with this grand of a scope (along with a decent story to push you along). Whether or not they're you're cup of tea, Bethesda RPGs really are in a class all by themselves. So I always buy them, right at release.

Two days, 12 hours to go. But who's counting? (says the guy who started this thread two years ago :mrgreen: ).
naednek

Post by naednek »

Waiting till Christmas. I'm still playing Witcher 3 vanilla... Since May... I can wait
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zork

Post by Zork »

neofit wrote:
Zork wrote:I bought it from CDKeys for $39.99 a few days ago. I've purchased several games and XBox gold cards from them and never had any issues.
From their "Download your purchase" page:
This product is a Pre-Order, it will be avaliable here on or slightly before the release date of 10th November 2015.
WTF? Is this normal for them? Or does it depend on the game? dlgamer sent me my Steam key for Wurm Unlimited a couple of weeks before release.
This was my first pre-order from CDKeys. However, I was just sent an email that my key was ready and I activated it on Steam. Pre-loading now :D

-Zork
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

To prepare for FO4 I picked up a new X360 wired controller for my PC. I didn't realize how bad the pots had gotten on my old one till I was trying to establish the proper dead zone when using the controller for Stock Car Extreme and saw how badly they drifted. I got in the new controller yesterday and tried it out on DiRT Rally and holy moly what a difference. I'm hoping that this will be helping me with V.A.T.S. now that it only slows down time, not stops it completely.

By the way, for those who might be interested... I have large hands and so I have been using KontrolFreek thumbstick entenders for several years and they are great.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:
coopasonic wrote: I am the opposite, I guess. I keep thinking I should go pick up the new Need for Speed so I have something to do until Tuesday.
Word is that, despite being a SP game, it requires an always-on connection. There were screenshots on Reddit of a guy being kicked out of his game due to server maintenance.
If that's real, then how would he be playing before the street date? Wouldn't Bethesda just shut down the servers to prevent people from playing early?

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote:Waiting till Christmas. I'm still playing Witcher 3 vanilla... Since May... I can wait
Wife went looking on my christmas list at amazon unprovoked and asked about what I wanted.... I told her there were some games on sale at GMG right now and that people should consider to save some $$$ :P

Preloading now :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jag wrote:I like your build. Probably won't take bloody mess. If I remember from F3, it was a bloody mess.
I want Bloody Mess not because of the mess it makes but because of the additional damage, up to 20% if I remember correctly.
Last edited by Grifman on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
If that's real, then how would he be playing before the street date? Wouldn't Bethesda just shut down the servers to prevent people from playing early?
He's talking about need for speed, which came out this week, not Fallout 4.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
He's talking about need for speed, which came out this week, not Fallout 4.
Oops, reading are hard. Carry on... ;)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grifman wrote:
Jag wrote:I like your build. Probably won't take bloody mess. If I remember from F3, it was a bloody mess.
I want Blood Mess not because of the mess it makes but because of the additional damage, up to 20% if I remember correctly.
I took Bloody Mess since the first game but doubt I will this go. I got so sick of everyone's head popping off at the slightest nick in NV and FO3.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I think I've settled on my initial build goal:

The Professor
  • S:3 Armorer
  • P:4 Rifleman, Awareness, Locksmith
  • E:1 Toughness
  • C:6 Cap Collector, Attack Dog, Local Leader
  • I:9 Medic, Gun Nut, Hacker, Scrapper, Science!, Nuclear Physicist
  • A:3 Gunslinger, Commando, Sneak
  • L:2 Fortune Finder, Scrounger
Preferred Companion: Mary Ann

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Found something to play to keep me ready for FO4, it's Far Cry 4. I didn't complete taking down all the outposts or exploring all the "?" spots in the game from when I was playing it regularly, so I'm wandering around on foot, getting attacked by wild animals and hunting loot while shooting bad guys. Pretty much like FO4, except for all that nuke war stuff :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've been checking the FO4 Steam page occasionally just, you know, because I'm waiting, and this last time I saw this:

Release date is November 9th? Could it be that I'll be able to play the game tomorrow? :horse: :horse: :horse:

Or is it just some weird time/date interaction thing :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

By the way, it's past midnight here so it's the 8th, so sue me...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote:So I've been checking the FO4 Steam page occasionally just, you know, because I'm waiting, and this last time I saw this:

Release date is November 9th? Could it be that I'll be able to play the game tomorrow? :horse: :horse: :horse:

Or is it just some weird time/date interaction thing :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

By the way, it's past midnight here so it's the 8th, so sue me...
I'm guessing that Valve/Steam is using something like PST. Since all of North America unlocks at 0001 EST on 10 Nov, it will actually be late on 9 Nov on the west coast when the game unlocks.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bethesda has addressed that. It had to do with a miscommunication problem in regards to time zones. It unlocks on the 10th at 12:01 A.M.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Blackhawk wrote:Bethesda has addressed that. It had to do with a miscommunication problem in regards to time zones. It unlocks on the 10th at 12:01 A.M.
That's Eastern Time, so as noted above it would be the 9th for other US time zones. Steam doesn't unlock based on your time zone individually. So if you live in the Central time zone it will be 11pm on the 9th, Mountain 10pm, etc.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote:Wife went looking on my christmas list at amazon unprovoked and asked about what I wanted.... I told her there were some games on sale at GMG right now and that people should consider to save some $$$ :P

Preloading now :)
Marriage... marriage never changes. :D
naednek

Post by naednek »

So who just watched the FoxNFL fallout 4 commercial?
Montag

Post by Montag »

Can we start a new thread after release? 18 pages before release? I am not sure my character's intelligence will allow him to count very high.
words
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I realize this isn't a PC issue (yet?) but TweakTown has just published an article, Fallout 4 already seeing users complain about performance on PS4. I'm always wondering how so many folks have the game early.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote:I realize this isn't a PC issue (yet?) but TweakTown has just published an article, Fallout 4 already seeing users complain about performance on PS4. I'm always wondering how so many folks have the game early.
My vague understanding is that retail outlets somewhere broke the street date, but I don't know any real details. Once that starts, it can have a cascade effect when their competitors jump on board to avoid losing sales.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

jztemple2 wrote:I realize this isn't a PC issue (yet?) but TweakTown has just published an article, Fallout 4 already seeing users complain about performance on PS4. I'm always wondering how so many folks have the game early.
NOOOOOOO! But since my PS4 copy isn't supposed to arrive till Tuesday they have some time to fix these issues. :)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?