[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:01 pm I think its past time I bit the bullet so to speak and settled on a wep and a back up. In fact ive stopped carrying half my weps already. I just cannot find a good assault rifle type wep. An automatic. Ive found miniguns in events I cant use and wouldn't anyways as they waste ammo and i couldn't hit anything. I found 1 10mm sub machine gun but Ive given up on 10mm as it just doesn't have the damage.
I'm being honest here: Ditch the backup. You'll never have enough perk points to make multiple weapon types viable, as a fully perked out (for instance) shotgun build will be great with a shotgun, but do crap damage with a sniper rifle. It's one of the weaknesses of FO76, sadly - it's designed around very focused builds, unlike the single player games that let you use a wide variety of weapons. With that said, you can get a lot of variety in one weapon type. For instance, if you like full auto you can use the Commando skills and carry:

An automatic pipe rifle for clearing out minor trash with cheap ammo.
A long-range assault rifle designed for accuracy and using a scope.
An automatic laser rifle designed for accuracy that has a scope.
A close range assault rifle designed for rate of fire, recoil, and capacity.
A close range automatic plasma rifle designed for rate of fire, recoil, and capacity.

And the two rifles can use different ammo, meaning cycling through five ammo types.

And remember, you gain ammo from enemies based on the weapon you used to kill them. That's part of the secret to keeping up on supplies.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:01 pm So I have no idea why I cant find an assault rifle. Im hoping in 5.75 or something. need to be auto and hit good. Ill worry with ammo later.
Because you're not crafting enough. You don't generally find assault rifles. You find a rifle (of any type), take it to the workbench, and swap the receiver or barrel or whatever to the automatic variant. (It's different for different weapons - receiver on ballistic weapons, barrel on laser weapons, etc.) For some weapon types, in fact, the pistol, rifle, assault rifle, and shotgun versions are all made with exactly the same base weapons by swapping around barrels, receivers, stocks, and so on. If you don't have the plans for some of those parts, find more of them and scrap them to learn the plans.

Example:
Find a laser pistol. It benefits from the pistol perks.
Put on a long stock. Now you have a laser rifle that benefits from the Rifleman perks.
Take that and put on a Standard Automatic Barrel. Now you have an automatic laser rifle that benefits from the Commando perks.
Swap that barrel for a Stabilized Sniper Barrel. Now you have a laser sniper rifle that can charge for more powerful shots, but you're back to the Rifleman perks.

You get the idea. You don't find the gear you need in this game, you find the gear that you can craft into the gear that you need. So if you want an automatic rifle, look out for a rifle (except for the hunting rifle) that is on your level and mod it into an assault rifle. Better yet, do a few events until you get lucky and get a legendary with some bonuses that you like and mod that into an assault rifle.

Bonus: Be on the lookout for the Handmade. It's a type of rifle that makes for the best assault rifle.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Handmade. Ok gotcha.

Stims are still a weakness. Im down to averaging carry 2 stims and 25 or so diluted stims. I run maybe 3 events a login and get stims there but not enough as I run through them. Yes I could change my style of play and save some but for now I still enjoy my wild run around and shoot style. Its doing me ok and its fun. Every now and then I find a player vendor selling stims cheap and load up on 100 or so.

I can craft diluted stims from full stims but not vice versa which saddens me lol.

Also I recall in the normal games a super stim will heal ya up good but you lose some hp when it wears off..does that happen in 76 too? I use one sometimes. I hear the sound and see the text it has worn off but I never notice any ill effects.

I have a perk that stabs me with a stim when I get below 20% health which has saved me many many times. Its what is using my stims up lol. But Im addicted to it. Saves me walking and dying. Sometimes I take so much damage so fast I still die. Id like one that stabbed me at 30%

But all my posts and stuff just remember Im having fun. Nothing is bothering me about the game and I like discovering how stuff works. I even enjoy seeing what I need to craft ammo and stuff then going out and just scavenging for that at times. It breaks up the general play and pace and keeps me from getting bored on repetitive stuff. Also I feel Im in the game world when Im doing this stuff. I pretend in my imagination that this is what people would be doing in this world if it was real. So I have fun with that.

I think FO76 is a game Punisher might like to coop play in for his LFG thread.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:55 pm But all my posts and stuff just remember Im having fun.
Absolutely! Play the way you want to! I have no intention of dictating how you build or play. I'm just pointing out the causes/solutions to some of the problems you mention.

Note: I'm copying my larger response to the general discussion thread.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So. I think I have this as a freebie on a frw different platforms but don't recall ever actually playing it or digging too deep.
I have questions.
1. Is this a free MMO or do I need a subscription to truly play it?
2. How much grind is there for a new player?
3. How easy/hard is it to hook up with friends?
4. How stable is it?
5. Is it twitch based or more easy going, especially for combat?
6. How important is it to know the lore?
7. Is there an overall story or plot or is it just a bunch of unrelated quests?
8. Is there an endgame story or plot?
9. Is it possible to accidentally build a broken character and have to start from scratch? If so, how easy/hard is it to accidentally doing so?
10. Are there any MUST have DLC or paks needed?
11. How easy is it to end the game for the day? Like if I just can't play anymore will I need to travel a 1/2 hour or something to get to a safe area?

Thanks. I may have more questions depending on answers.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:12 pm So. I think I have this as a freebie on a frw different platforms but don't recall ever actually playing it or digging too deep.
I have questions.
4. How stable is it?
9. Is it possible to accidentally build a broken character and have to start from scratch? If so, how easy/hard is it to accidentally doing so?
11. How easy is it to end the game for the day? Like if I just can't play anymore will I need to travel a 1/2 hour or something to get to a safe area?

It is free, and you can do a lot for free. They do make a few things pretty inconvenient when you're not paying (primarily storage related), but you can still have a lot of fun with it.
It plays like Fallout 4. The only 'grind' is in the endgame if you choose to pursue it.
Pretty easy, although questing with friends isn't the best experience. Whenever a quest sends you into a location, you pretty much have to split up and each of you do that part of the quest solo.
4. How stable is it?
That depends on what you mean by 'stable.' I don't think I've ever crashed. But at the same time, it's a Bethesda title. It's packed with bugs and screwball design decisions that come from them making the least effort possible (there are major bugs that have been around since Fallout 4 launched, which is what this game is built on.)
It depends on how you play. If you play a power-armored, heavy-weapons build it is stand and mow them down. If you play a VATS build, it's like having auto-aim. If you play a non-VATS rifle build, it's 3.5 twitchies out of 5.
It's irrelevant. Like all but one Fallout game since the first, you play as someone with zero knowledge of the world. Ever see Blast From the Past? It's like that - you spent your life in a Fallout shelter, and are emerging into a world you (as in your character) have no knowledge of.
Yes.
There are multiple storylines to follow for different factions/groups and a couple of main quests, but a majority of the content is unrelated side stuff.
Sort of. The main quest probably won't be done by the time you hit the end game. A lot of the end game, though, is doing special activities, finishing up various questlines, and so forth.
That's two questions in one sentence! Cheater!

Yes, you can make a broken character that won't be very effective (probably by trying to stick with multiple weapon types instead of specializing in one.) But the game isn't that hard (I'm past the advancement level cap and I think I've only died once or twice ever when I wasn't knowingly jumping into something way beyond my ability to handle (mostly high-end public group content for the rewards.) But it's not really a concern. When you hit level 25 (which doesn't take long), you will gain a device that lets you switch your perks (abilities) and stats around pretty much at will.

With that said, completely changing your build can take a while. You unlock one perk, in the form of equippable cards, every time you level up, plus five of them as a bonus every five levels. Most of the perks can be upgraded one to five times by combining identical card (so if you have a Fireproof card with 15% fire damage reduction, and you get a second Fireproof card, you can combine them giving you a second-tier Fireproof card with 30% fire damage reduction.) So, if you want to tweak the build, it's easy. But if you want to completely change what skills you have equipped, it may take a while to unlock the new ones you need.

Take a look at my build for an example of how the cards/builds work.
That's easy. There are starter bundles that give you a few goodies at the beginning (which are unneeded to play.) Beyond that, all non-cosmetic content is included. There is no DLC.
You can fast travel to your CAMP (yes, it's an acronym) for free from pretty much anywhere in the game as long as you aren't getting hit.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Thanks for the quick response.
I'll add it to my list after I get around to my laptop upgrades.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LOL last night was not my night. On the way to a quest I did 2 little side things that were on the way. 3 of my weapons broke lol. That left me with 1 crappy one and one good one. I decided to press on and do the one I wanted to do. So I fight my way through the 3 or 4 floors to get to the roof where my objective is. On the very last floor I ran out of plasma ammo. Damnit lol. I fiogure hey I can finish this..just go up..cheese ethe last baddies and finish the quest. I clear the roof, click the quest, and wouldn't you know it its one of those defend the machine for 4 min while waves spawn in . CRAP. I tried 3 times..each time I died I had to spawn outside the damn building..and stuff respawned inside. So I ran past everything useing stims to the roof..3 times...and I couldn't beat it.

I had to give up for the night with 4 broken weps and no ammo at all.

And to repair stuff its ALWAYS the same thing..im missing 1 or 2 items to do it with. Every time lol. I just cant seem to scrape enough loot to keep my repairs, builds, ammo going.

So tonight looks like ka night of all scrounging for junk. I will keep all the junk I can fast travel with and make many trips out to loot...I will scrap everything I can. Maybe after and hour or two Ill have the right junk to do stuff with on my crafting tables.

I never have any money or scrap lol.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What is it you keep running out of?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know if its any one item. Seems totally random. Ill go to make ammo and be missing copper. Ill try to repair a wep and be missing steel or lead. Ill try to mod something and be missing glass or a gear. LOL. Its like the game looks through my junk drawer sees Im missing say screws then requires that I use screws for what Im doing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just to check, have you taken the time to make sure that everything in the Junk section of your stash is scrapped? A couple of times I just took every single item out of the Junk section of the stash, turned to my bench, did a 'scrap all', then back to the stash and 'deposit all junk.' It's surprisingly easy to accidentally put unscrapped items in there.

Also, have you been scrapping all of the weapons you don't use?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Question. Do you geet a base or anything very early on to store your stuff in?
Like if I just want to run around collecting things for hours am I limited to what I can carry or can I store an unlimited amount at my base or whatever?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Punisher wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:18 pm Question. Do you geet a base or anything very early on to store your stuff in?
Like if I just want to run around collecting things for hours am I limited to what I can carry or can I store an unlimited amount at my base or whatever?
You receive a quest and tutorial to build a simple base extremely early in the introductory quest line. If you don't want to mess with in-depth base building (which is never really mandatory) you can pretty much just slap down a few pieces of floor and a stash and a crafting station and get back to killing and looting in five minutes.

Your stash holds 1200 weight of goods. On your person, depending on your stats and perks and "always carry" items, you're probably only going to have 100-200 pounds on inventory space and it fills up fast if you're picking up every piece of gun, armour, and scrap you see. You have to go to a crafting station (at your base or out in the world) to break it all down into lesser-weight components to store in your stash. (Or you can store your stuff in your stash whole, but there's not usually a point unless you're saving good weapons/armour for future use.)

So yes, you're going to want a basic base ASAP but it's not difficult or time consuming to get one up and running. If you're a super-hoarder like me and pick up EVERYTHING you see, you're going to be doing a lot of "base runs" to empty your bags. Being encumbered isn't fun. But if you're more discriminating you can last a lot longer in the wilderness. Fortunately, fast travelling to your base is free and unlimited. You don't get a "return portal" to where you were though; you'll have to pay a small amount of caps to travel back to a discovered fast travel point if you want to keep exploring the same area. So you usually want to finish your objectives in an area before returning to base or a train station (which has a crafting station and stash anyone can use). Unless you're playing with a buddy you can fast travel back to. There are a lot of wilderness crafting stations you'll come across though which will let you break down your on-person items to an extent. There are also "potions" to break down your scrap or increase your carrying weight temporarily but they're finite so they're usually a last resort.

If/when you decide to subscribe to the optional Fallout 1st it unlocks separate, unlimited scrap and ammo storage that free up your main, 1200-pound stash for other stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The system is fairly player-friendly and easy to figure out.
Last edited by Sudy on Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:18 pm Question. Do you geet a base or anything very early on to store your stuff in?
Yes, sort of. You get a CAMP within the first few minutes that you can place wherever you like (tip: It's movable, but never, ever move it - it's a glitchy system, and will probably result in you having to scrap it and start over.) It's like getting to build your own base wherever you like using a building system similar to Fallout 4, but within a limited area and with a limited budget. It's still plenty to build a comfortable home, defenses, workbenches, and so on.

However, storage is limited. You have only a single container (your 'stash'.) If you build ten stashes, they will all contain the same stuff. If you are in someone else's camp and you go to their stash, it will contain your stuff. It's used to store everything from weapons, armor, food, and ammo (your gear) to junk (crafting materials.) The problem is that it's limited. It has a maximum of 1200 pounds of storage space, which can go quickly if you're not careful. Sort of like the limited storage in Elder Scrolls Online, it's a design meant to push you into subscribing. If you subscribe, you get two additional box types, an ammo box, and a junk box. The two of them are both unlimited, which makes the actual stash much more viable.

The game is playable and fun without subscribing, but it does force you to pick and choose.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:52 pm [Ping!]
Just to make sure you're not missing out, have you been checking the scoreboard (from the main menu) and claiming the prizes? If not, you should do so.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:16 pm Just to check, have you taken the time to make sure that everything in the Junk section of your stash is scrapped? A couple of times I just took every single item out of the Junk section of the stash, turned to my bench, did a 'scrap all', then back to the stash and 'deposit all junk.' It's surprisingly easy to accidentally put unscrapped items in there.

Also, have you been scrapping all of the weapons you don't use?
no

yes

Though sometimes I sell weps for money to buy ammo and stims :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:48 pm
Just to make sure you're not missing out, have you been checking the scoreboard (from the main menu) and claiming the prizes? If not, you should do so.
No..the whatsit now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Question. Do you geet a base or anything very early on to store your stuff in?

You receive a quest and tutorial to build a simple base extremely early in the introductory quest line. If you don't want to mess with in-depth base building (which is never really mandatory) you can pretty much just slap down a few pieces of floor and a stash and a crafting station and get back to killing and looting in five minutes.
My base is between a creek and a rock wall. It has no floor and sits scattered in the grass. BH set me up with water and I think power and a couple tables like armor and wep and tinkering. Ive put up a chem station I think it was and a vendor.

Your camp disappears from the world when you log out. Ive logged in inside a house..sorta..I logged in and started running..the world loaded and I was in a players house lol. Ive also been using a vendor machine and the player left and I couldn't get anything ....it all just disappeared.

Last night I fast traveled to a player vendor house . It was huge and nice. He popped in as I was leaving..I was sprinting across the road and up a hill to a quest when I noticed he had the 'gift' emoji going...so I ran back down and he gave me a whole bunch of plans for stuff I didn't have yet. Pretty cool. Players seems to help more than anything. Ive not had anything bother attacking ,e..seems to not be a thing...they will drop you stuff...as there's no typing chat you just sorta communicate through emojis that animate you and above your head...thumbs up or cheering or waving and such.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:06 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:48 pm
No..the whatsit now?
Open the in-game main menu (map, hit Z.) Click 'Scoreboard.' If you've unlocked anything, claim it.

You earn the items along the path by earning a special kind of XP called 'SCORE' (because everything is an acronym in Fallout.)

Now, go to the same menu and click 'Challenges.' The daily and weekly challenges (if you choose to pursue them) are what give you SCORE.

It's all optional, and if you don't enjoy such things, feel free to ignore them. But some of them are extremely easy and only take a minute or two. Examples:"Eat five vegetables", "Visit 5 players' shelters" (which you can do by visiting one camp, entering their shelter - look for a hatch - exiting the shelter, and repeating four more times,) "Build 10 floor decorations" (which you can do by building one, scrapping it, and building it again ten times.) And some of the rewards are actually handy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, make sure you're claiming your free daily item from the Atom Shop. Most of it is useless, but a few are nice.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:48 pm Also, make sure you're claiming your free daily item from the Atom Shop. Most of it is useless, but a few are nice.
Ya always grab that lol. I did the scoreboard thing. Got the first 11 moves/items.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They sometimes have some really good stuff in there (it looks like you got some ATOMS, too.)
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

Punisher wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:12 pm So. I think I have this as a freebie on a frw different platforms but don't recall ever actually playing it or digging too deep.
I have questions.
4. How stable is it?

I've played way too much F76 and have some opinions...

1. My friend played into the L200s w/o having a Fallout 1st subscription. That said, it's very convenient. If you like the game, you may want to subscribe for a month or two and build up some ammo in the ammo box and scrap in the scrap box. If you quit Fallout 1st, you don't lose that stuff, you just can't put any more into the boxes. I keep mine going for the QOL improvements.

2. For a new player there isn't a whole lot of grind. Early F76 is a lot like the other Fallouts, it's not super easy (or super hard). Enjoy that part of the game, later you will be playing a different game which isn't as difficult.

3. If you have friends, you can certainly play with them. OTOH, once my friend stopped playing, I don't play with anyone in particular. I'm always on a team, because you get benefits (like +1 int/person on a casual team once you've teamed up for 5 minutes), but I never talk to them. I'm on PC. On PC communicating with people is generally through emote and is not super intensive. When I played with my friend, we talked over Steam and there are lots of people who talk on Discord. On console things are somewhat different, but I've never played on console.

4. It's fairly stable. There are a fair number of bugs, and the game may crash occasionally, but it's much better than at the beginning.

5. Other people have covered twichiness. If you are playing a VATS commando it's not very twitchy at all. It is auto aim by hitting VATS.

6. Lore is interesting but not important.

7. There is a main quest line, a Wastelanders quest line, two Brotherhood of Steel quest lines, and maybe a couple others. Plenty to get you to L50.

8. Endgame is different. All the quest lines will be over and the main activity is doing the scoreboard, doing events, or grinding for gear. It's all pretty laid back.

9. At L25 you can respec. You can always change out perk cards, but at L25 you can have a number of specs that you choose at a machine that is either in the train stations or in your camp (or someone elses). Don't bother waiting to pick perks, that doesn't work. Just pick what you can when you can. Your build will probably not be filled out until L60-75, and after that perks are pretty much plentiful enough to use.

At L50/75/100/150/200/300 you get a legendary perk slot. You can put a legendary perk card in a slot and rank it up. This takes 50/100/150 perk points, or 300 total. You get 2 perk points for burning a perk card, so it takes a lot of perk cards to rank up a legendary perk card. You get 9 perk cards every 5 levels (5 for levelling + 4 random perk cards from a pack), so it takes a while to rank up your legendary perk cards. Once you get to L60-75, your initial build will be complete, once you get to 100 you'll probably have a couple of builds to choose from, and then after that it's about levelling up your legendary perk cards.

10. There are no DLCs to buy. Bethesda promised that there wasn't going to be paid DLC and arguably that has hurt the game; I'd be happy to pay them more money for more content. What you get every season (about 3 months) is more events, maybe some expeditions next year. Nothing you have to pay for. I pay for Fallout 1st (like I did for the ESO equivalent) for storage/quality of life.

Although... I spent 15$ on a Steam Sale to get the Pitt pack, which includes a power core recharger. Very helpful if you use power armor. In the grand scheme of things it's not essential. In the beginning power cores are pretty rare, in endgame you'll be swimming in them.

11. When you quit, you will restart near where you left off. Most of the time I quit either in one of my camps or in one of the free fast travel spots. If you are overloaded, you can't fast travel. You'll have to either drop some loot or walk to town to sell stuff.

In general, the game is pretty laid back. Death essentially means nothing; you drop any junk (not weapons or armor or chems, etc.) you have. You can go back to get it later unless somebody snatched it. In events, you don't even drop your junk (though that changes the second the event ends). Death is not a big deal. If you have problems with a build, just store your junk in your stash/scrapbox and death has no sting.

L50 is the max level for gear. After you get to L50 you can use all gear. Good gear takes a bit of grinding, or if you have caps you can buy from player vendors. If you are patient, you can pick up a relatively good set of gear over time from vendors and drops. Godlike gear takes grinding, but the game is pretty easy so you don't absolutely need godlike gear.

Players are generally friendly. There are some assholes, but in general people are helpful, especially to new players. Lots of people give new players stuff. If you are in combat (like in an event), and you go to 0 hp, you can be revived for a short time. People are usually very helpful with that.

Money is capped, a character can get 1400 caps/day from the vendors, you can only have 40k caps/character, and you can't trade gold without a mule account. This keeps inflation away. A good weapon will cost you 15-40k caps. I don't think I've ever spent more than 30k caps on anything. My toons are more likely to be at 40k and need to find something to spend money on.

At endgame it's all about legendary weapons and armor that fit your builds. You'll get some of those on your way to L50 but once you get there you will concentrate on getting all L50 legendary gear and upgrading to better legendary gear. You can convert legendary items you don't want to legendary scrip, which you can use to buy legendary modules. With legendary modules and legendary cores (which you get from events) you can re-roll an item. It's up to the RNG whether you get anything good or not.

You get 5 characters/account. I have characters at L675, L495, L395, L338, and L3. Multiple characters are useful because if you play a lot at endgame you'll get your 1400 caps/day pretty quickly and move to another character.

Getting to L50 and doing the quests is interesting, there's quite a bit of content. Then you get to the endgame where you basically need to keep yourself entertained. You can do events, work your way up the scoreboard, improve your gear, and do whatever else you want to do. Lots of people work on their camps. In order to build a weapon, armor, or camp item you need plans to build it. These drop from critters or events and you also can buy them from other player's vendors.

Every three months or so there is a "season" with a scoreboard. You get score by playing the game and doing daily/weekly challenges. The scoreboards have 100 ranks, and at each rank you get something - maybe a perk card pack, or some gold bullion, or a cosmetic item. Scoreboards can have some good gear - a couple of seasons back you had to do the board to get Union power armor plans (the best in the game), but usually it's mostly buffs or camp items.
For endgame players this is one of the big things to do. I normally can get through the daily challenges in an hour or two of play, and I maxed out the scoreboard in just under 30 days. YMMV.

F76 is generally relaxing to play and kind of fun, especially if you are into the Fallout universe. I spend money on Fallout 1st for QOL issues, but my friend didn't. In the early game it's not super critical. That part of the game is actually the most fun.

If you're going to play you should read up on builds as you get closer to endgame. There are a few "meta" builds that are very heavily used. Some people use power armor and heavy weapons. Others play commando builds. You'll see a lot of people with 20% HPs and the rest of their health bar red from radiation. That's because they are running a "bloodied" build, using weapons and armor that benefit from low HPs. That's what I run all the time; you aren't nearly as squishy as you would think
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I agree with pretty much every point there - good summary (even the ones that were technically bammed. ;) )

The only one I'd nitpick is #8. If you do events while leveling, even if it's only a couple per day, you can easily hit the level cap long before the questlines are finished. I'm beyond the cap now (although not by a huge margin - I haven't been playing much over the last few weeks), and I don't think I've finished a single major questline. I never focused on power leveling, but if you like exploring, crafting, and do some side quests, it's easy to hit the cap long before finishing the stories.

So if you like, you can continue questing well beyond level 50.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Wow. Thanks guys!
That's a lot of info to absorb and process.
I installed the game today but probably won't play until Wed or Thur at the earliest. I have other things scheduled starting tomorrow and don't want to start an MMO and have to leave in the middle of a quest.
Some followups. Please bare with me if I screw up terminology or soubd confused about something that should be easy to understand. Believe me I'm not a fan of it either.

1. The 1200lbs of stuff you can hold in a base. Do I understand correctly that this is hard locked and the ONLY way to increase it is to subscribe?

2. Cam someone explain the 1400/day cap limit better? It sounds like that's the hard limit in money you can make in a day and everything after that is gone or just not worth doing. I'm hoping this is just one of the tjings I'm not understanding properly.

3. Death. Am I correct that there are NO penalties for dying orher than lost junk? No XP or Level loss? No your wounded for X amount of time? Etc..

4. PVP. is it in the game and if so is it 100% optional? It's one of the things that turn me off for MP games in general not just MMOs. Obviously if I join a game of COD I know what I'm getting into but I generally prefer co-op stuff.

5. Fast travel. I can fadt travel to my base as much as I want and for free. I can't FT back, UNLESS it's near another FT point OR I'm in a group and I FT back to the group. Correct?
If so, is the FT back to the group free or do I have to pay?

I'm sure I'll have more questions and may forget ones I've asked and been answered so forgive me in advance.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

So events typically happen every 20 minutes (20/40/hour). Sometimes when you are trying to do something it is annoying, but in the end you can do anything you want and be successful, and you can either continue with what you are doing or to to the event, it's your choice.

Every few weeks there are "mutated events" where the enemies have special things (explode on death, leave toxic areas on death, are cloaked when not attacking, ...) These special events give you a Mutated Party Pack if there are 3+ ppl with Fo1st. In practice this is likely to happen. Mutated Party Packs give you a guaranteed 3* legendary (which may be good or more likely just for scrip), some fairly rare materials, and some stimpaks/super stimpaks. They also give you ammo for whatever weapon you have equipped, so be sure to equip an appropriate weapon when you open a Mutated Party Pack.

We are currently in that time, so if there is a mutated event (which always happens at the start of the hour), then you get more stuff.

When there are other "special events", they always go off on the hour, so in those times you want to log in and participate. An example is when aliens come in with their brain wave siphons and you need to kill a bunch of aliens to make the siphons vulnerable so you can destroy them. These kinds of events are usually worth doing.

There are also Daily Operations. Every day there is one of 2 daily operations you can go on and get rare plans, XP, etc. The biggest thing is that the enemies drop lots of whatever ammo you are currently using, plus more when you kill the big baddie. It's a good way to get more ammo. The other thing is that you get better rewards the quicker you do Daily Ops. To get the best benefits you need to do them in < 8 minutes, which is quite doable if you have help. Some really rare plans you can only get via Daily Ops.

Finally, there are Expeditions. Currently there are only 2 expeditions, both go to the Pitt. You get "stamps" (a currency you can use to buy certain plans), XPs, and ammo like Daily Ops. Formerly you would have to get ultracell charges to go on an expedition, but that's no longer the case. Also, the plans that used to cost an impossible number of stamps to buy are cheaper. Expeditions are a good way to get more ammo and stamps. Every week, if you and your teammates do a perfect run you get a free plan that you don't already know.

More expeditions are supposedly coming next year. Atlantic City, baby!!!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:58 pm They sometimes have some really good stuff in there (it looks like you got some ATOMS, too.)
I have caps and atoms and gold chits..I dont pay attention to it all...I think I got near 1000 atoms whatever they are for.

Man I was waaaaaaay out in bumblefuck when I saw a robot herder. I clicked him to say hi and a damn Legendary Sheepsquatch spawned on me. That thing chased me. I didn't want to die out there and lose the junk I had. Id been picking up EVERYTHING..I was overweighted..Legendary Sheepsquatch on my ass....I finally hung him up on a brahmin and ran down a road and found a tree laying up and over an old dump truck and I walked up high into it. Thats where Im standing now lol. I can still hear crazy sounds. I cant fast travel and Im not sure I want to get out of my tree yet lol.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

1. Hard locked.

2. You can earn any amount. You are just limited to selling 1400 caps worth of stuff per day (there are similar limits on other currencies.) All vendors have that amount, and they all share it.

3. Correct. No penalty, and if you make it back to where you died, you can retrieve your stuff.

4. 99.9% optional. You take very, very little damage from other players. If one player hits another enough, and the second player shoots them back, that turns on PvP. There are also a few places that you can 'capture' (workshops) that turn on PvP.

The thing is, though, that the PvP isn't very good and the rewards are minimal, plus the per-server population is low. In other words, nobody bothers to mess with it. I have yet to be attacked, even once, and even when I've captured a workshop for a challenge.

5. You can fast travel anywhere. The cost is based on distance traveled, and isn't very expensive unless you're jumping all over the place. You can even fast travel from inside.

You can fast travel to your camp for free, regardless of where it is.

You can also fast travel to any of several specific points for free (Vault 76, the Crater, the Rusty Pick, etc.)

You can fast travel to group members for free.

The usual trick if you're going a long way is to fast travel to the nearest free spot to your goal before jumping to your destination - that way you aren't paying for a long trip.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:58 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:58 pm They sometimes have some really good stuff in there (it looks like you got some ATOMS, too.)
I have caps and atoms and gold chits..I dont pay attention to it all...I think I got near 1000 atoms whatever they are for.

Atoms are for the Atom shop where youcclaim your daily freebie (they're the premium currency.) 1000 is about 10 bucks worth. What they offer changes every Tuesday.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

So you can store 1200 pounds of stuff in your stash. With Fallout1st you get a scrap chest that holds scrap (aluminum, nuclear material, and what not) and an ammo chest that holds ammo (but not grenades, fusion cores, and plasma cores). My characters that are higher level have thousands of pounds of scrap and ammo in their boxes. FO1st is not essential, but it is damned convenient.

You can sell 1400 caps of stuff per character to the vendors, and your character can only have 40k caps. In the early game these are not real limits, but in the endgame you can get that much stuff in an hour or two of play. Once you get to 40k caps you can sell stuff, but you don't get any caps. So when I get to 40k caps, I am looking for player vendors to see if there is something I can buy to use up caps.

In the end, it's OK. Everyone has at most 40K caps to spend, so you can only sell stuff for so much. When you get to max caps you can buy plans you might need later (power armor emergency protocol mods or calibrated shock mods), or find what you can buy at the vendors. It's not a huge deal. If people could hoard more caps then all the good stuff would cost a million caps and nobody but high level people could buy stuff.

PvP is basically optional. At L5 you can turn on pacifist mode so you can't hurt anyone. There are the occasional glitches that get through this, but I've never actually seen it happen in a year or two. If you take a workshop, then people can PvP you to take it from you, but in general people are over PvP.

As Blackhawk said, it costs caps to fast travel. However, there are several free spots:
  • Vault 76
    The Crater
    Foundation
    The Whitespring
    The Whitespring Resort
    Nuka World on Tour
    The Rusty Pick
    Your camp (s)
    Your survival tent (Fallout1st)
So you go to the closest one of those then go to your location. The Travel Agent perk reduces FT costs by 30%.

You can only FT to somewhere you've been to. So if you are just starting, then join a team. You can FT for free to a teammate or a teammate camp or survival tent. Discover the places above, then you have a free grid of FT locations that you can then branch out from.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:41 am Wow. Thanks guys!
That's a lot of info to absorb and process.
I installed the game today but probably won't play until Wed or Thur at the earliest. I have other things scheduled starting tomorrow and don't want to start an MMO and have to leave in the middle of a quest.
Some followups. Please bare with me if I screw up terminology or soubd confused about something that should be easy to understand. Believe me I'm not a fan of it either.

1. The 1200lbs of stuff you can hold in a base. Do I understand correctly that this is hard locked and the ONLY way to increase it is to subscribe?

2. Cam someone explain the 1400/day cap limit better? It sounds like that's the hard limit in money you can make in a day and everything after that is gone or just not worth doing. I'm hoping this is just one of the tjings I'm not understanding properly.

3. Death. Am I correct that there are NO penalties for dying orher than lost junk? No XP or Level loss? No your wounded for X amount of time? Etc..

4. PVP. is it in the game and if so is it 100% optional? It's one of the things that turn me off for MP games in general not just MMOs. Obviously if I join a game of COD I know what I'm getting into but I generally prefer co-op stuff.

5. Fast travel. I can fadt travel to my base as much as I want and for free. I can't FT back, UNLESS it's near another FT point OR I'm in a group and I FT back to the group. Correct?
If so, is the FT back to the group free or do I have to pay?

I'm sure I'll have more questions and may forget ones I've asked and been answered so forgive me in advance.
Edit: LOL! I'm third to respond. But I'll leave this up just in case my take adds anything.

1. No, you always have full access to your 1200-pound stash. And you can store anything inside it. But if you subscribe to Fallout 1st then you also get access to containers that hold an unlimited amount of scrap and ammo. This isn't a necessity when you start playing though, and honestly if you're judicious with what you store it's possible to play the game without subscribing.

2. You've kind of got it right. Vendors share a pool of 1400 caps that you can earn by trading/selling items to them each day. If you're being hardcore and want to be as efficient as possible, you want to take advantage of that. But it doesn't mean there's nothing worth doing after you make your daily 1400, or even that it's necessary to earn those caps each day. You can also manipulate it a bit by buying items from vendors and then selling more stuff to make back the caps you spent. But the game's about more than caps, and you can always store stuff in your stash to sell the next day. You can also make an unlimited amount of caps (up to the 40K maximum) by selling to other players via the shop in your base. But that's not going to be a predictable source of income.

3. That's correct, other than the armour damage you're going to take as a result of getting beat up, but that's incidental. (It can get pricey in terms of repair though. Early on, it's often cheaper to just find/make new armour.) But you'll drop all of your junk (and scrap, if it's been broken down already, I think?) and anyone will be able to pick it up. A lot of junk/scrap is easy to find, so it's not always a big deal. But it'll be a pain if you lose any rarer stuff, so you always want to do a stash run before doing an event or exploring a dangerous area.

4. Correct, PvP is optional. You have to enable it in options. There are some minimal things people can do to pester you, but you're never going to be running around and just get ganked, no. Nothing like that. The game's not really designed for PvP and there are few people who engage in it. One optional activity, taking over workshops, does make you vulnerable to PvP, but few people will bother challenging you, especially as a newer player. And if they do, you just abandon the workshop and do other stuff, or switch servers and take over a new one.

5. That's correct. There's no cost to FT to players in your team. You can actually exploit this by joining random groups if you want to. (It's recommended, as there's also an XP boost. Random players in teams don't usually actually play together. But you can visit their camps for free or teleport to their area on the map.) There are also some main locations (settlements that are quest hubs and that have vendors, etc.) you can teleport to for free at any time.

Apologies if I have anything wrong, the others can correct me. I haven't played actively for a while.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

Always join a team. It doesn't cost you anything, people are happy if you join them, you can FT to them or their camps, and you get bonuses depending on the type of team. If you get thrown off a team, it's either a bug or else they are throwing you off so a friend of theirs can join that team. If that happens, no worries, just join another team.

You can FT for free to public events. This is a good way to get XPs and stuff. The Scorched Earth event is particularly good. If you can do 1000 points of damage to (redacted;spoilers) you get more loot, otherwise you get less loot but still XPs and stuff. If you do 1k points to (redacted), you get a plan for a Decontamination Shower. These are worth caps, and you can only get them if you haven't learned the plan, so you may want to put off actually learning the plan and accumulate them. This may be worth pursuing on later characters.

In the early game getting rid of rads is important. You can drink brahmin milk (there are brahmin you can milk in Flatwoods, a town south of Vault 76), Radaway, Radaway Diluted, and Nuka-Grape. The aforementioned Decontamination Showers will also do the trick, and many high level ppl with camps will have on in their camp.

Once you get to L50 or so, you want to start getting mutated. There are many mutations with good and bad affects, many of which will even each other's bad effects out. Basically all high-level players are highly mutated. The key is two perks: Starched Genes (which keeps you from being mutated unless you use a serum or losing a mutation if you take Radaway or a Decontamination Shower) and Class Freak (which greatly reduces negative effects). You can only get those perks when you are L40+.

One of the big things is getting a jetpack. This really boosts mobility. You can add a jetpack to any suit of power armor if you find the right plan. For non power armor there are only 2 suits of armor which can take a jetpack: Secret Service armor and Brotherhood Recon armor. Those jetpack plans cost 2000 gold (1500 from Minerva when she has them) and you need to get the armor torso plan. Minerva has those plans, but only a couple of times a year, and you need gold bullion. Otherwise you need to play through the Wasteland quests to get access to the plan vendors. You also need a lot of gold: 1500-2000 for the jetpack plan, plus another ~1000 for the torso. The jetpack plan description makes it sound like you only need one thing, but you need both.

To get gold, you need to do daily quests and/or events. A quest or event may give you 3 treasure notes (30 gold), so 2500 gold takes a lot of grinding, but it's worth it. You can get gold from daily raider/foundation/Davenport quests or from events. You can do foundation quests as soon as you get to Foundation, but you can only do Raider quests once they aren't neutral/hostile. The way to get to that point is to do the Moonshine Jamboree quest whenever it is available (it's fun, and gives you a lot of loot + raider rep). Then you can do the daily quests for gold. Also, don't forget that if Minerva has some plan you want, it costs 25% less gold. Go to https://www.falloutbuilds.com/fo76/minerva/ for what she has and when.

On the scoreboard you can pick up gold as you rank up. I normally have another lower level character pick up that gold. My L3 character has enough gold to buy SS jetpack + SS torso plan + farmable dirt tiles just through my other chars ranking up the scoreboard. When Minerva Sale 17 comes out (in an month or so) I'll pounce.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hehe I found 25 pounds of rad away on me ...like 100+. I stashed it away lol.

BTW you can access your STASH box in lots of places....events sometimes have them.....player camps can have them....just all over and not just at your camp. Its one box world access. Theres one event ..I cant remember which now...where theres a armor bench and a stash box right beside each other...so in that I loot EVERYTHING....on a corpse I just do a mouse 4 button click and open all loot on all nearby corpses in one window then hit R to loot everything. Walk to the armor bench and scrap everthing with one click then turn and dump it all in my stash one click.

Wish all events had that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are a number that have them, and often a player will drop a tent nearby as well.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:11 am hehe I found 25 pounds of rad away on me ...like 100+. I stashed it away lol.

BTW you can access your STASH box in lots of places....events sometimes have them.....player camps can have them....just all over and not just at your camp. Its one box world access. Theres one event ..I cant remember which now...where theres a armor bench and a stash box right beside each other...so in that I loot EVERYTHING....on a corpse I just do a mouse 4 button click and open all loot on all nearby corpses in one window then hit R to loot everything. Walk to the armor bench and scrap everthing with one click then turn and dump it all in my stash one click.

Wish all events had that.
It could be worse. I find re-rolling gear to be kind of boring, so my main (L675) has 935 legendary modules in his stash. That's 234 pounds of legendary modules out of my 1200 stash limit. I need to re-roll some gear...

---

So this is what the endgame is like. I fired up the game to find out how many legendary modules I actually had. The minute I got there, I saw a Scorched Earth event. I didn't get there in time to do enough damage to the (redacted), but I did pick up 4 treasury notes and some XP. Then it was the top of the hour, and an mutated Eviction Notice event popped up. That is one of the most lucrative (and fun) events in the game, so I immediately fast traveled to it and fought a horde of super mutants.

After that was over, I scrapped what I could and stuck as much stuff as I could in my stash box so I could fast travel back to a vendor and sell stuff. Then a Radiation Rumble event popped up. That is the best event in the game when it comes to levelling, so I went there and did that. Suddenly I find myself carrying 800 pounds of loot and my stash box is full. So I walk to the nearest train station. On the way I got killed by a scorchbeast. It was my fault, I was just trying to get to the train station and wasn't paying attention. I had to respawn and go pick up the junk from my corpse.

Now I'm at the train station, where I'll wait until the vendors get more cash and legendary scrip (which happens every day at 10am PDT). In about an hour, I was in 3 events, went up about 3 levels, got 12 treasury notes (convertible to 120 gold) and have so much loot I can hardly move.

If I want to play in the next 3 hours, I'll use an alt.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, I fought the Redacted many, many times before I was anywhere near the level cap. If you do that underleveled you can get a ton of XP and loot, but go in ready to die. And (this is a big one, and not obvious), don't travel directly to the event when underleveled. There will be a place right outside of the 'zone' where you can see people gathered. That's where you travel to. If you travel directly to the event, you'll likely die in seconds. Repeatedly.

Eviction Notice is a great even to play underleveled (although you'll still die, but it really doesn't matter.) Stay on top of the surrounding cliffs, and, rather than fighting the Super Mutants one by one, get a few shots on to every one that you can see - which will give you partial kill credit when all of the higher levels finish them off. Do your looting after it's over.

The only one that I had issues with doing early was Test Your Metal. The rewards can be great, but there is very, very little room to move around in order to keep safe.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

If you are playing Fallout 76 for the first time, I'd suggest taking your time. At low level the game is much more like Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. Things are a lot tougher when you are low level, there's tons to see and do, money is tight, you still have lots of room in your stash. It's a big world out there.

Events are great for levelling though. If you see Scorched Earth, Eviction Notice, Test Your Metal, Spin the Wheel, or especially Radiation Rumble, they are well worth your time. Not only do you get XP, but there are a lot of legendary drops. Low level legendary items are great, both now and when you want to start an alt character.

Hint: as soon as you can, join the Pioneer Scouts. You start the game with a small backpack that gives you 10 lbs more carry weight (which you didn't get when I started), but if you are a Pioneer scout you can make levelled backpacks up to L50, when they give you 60 lbs more carry weight. You need to do a few quests to advance from Tadpole to Pioneer Scout, but it's worth it. Then if you want more carrying capacity, you can grind for Pioneer badges and get some backpack mods. I have one that gives me a total of 120 more carry weight. Note that the mod says it decreases your energy and rad resistance, but this is not the case. I have another one which slows food spoilage by 50% at the cost of carry weight. I swap between the two.

---

Mules are useful to save off loot you may want later. Fallout 1st gives you Private Worlds, where you can (relatively) safely exchange goods with alts. Basically, you spin up a private world, drop your loot in a big chest (there's one at Nuka World and a couple at the Wayward Inn), go to main menu, immediately rejoin with an alt, and pick it up. It's pretty safe. I have lost a couple things when I had network issues, but that is rare.

If you have a friend who plays the game, he can help you move stuff to your mule without Private Worlds.

Another way to do it is to have a mule account. You need two systems to do this, alas. On the other hand F76 on a Steam sale costs less than 1 month of FO1. A mule account is safer than the Private Worlds approach. You can also trade money with a mule in a different account.

Mules can carry 1500 lbs over their weight limit, so total about 1650 lbs, plus 1200 in the stash. You can store a lot of loot that way.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

One last thing: when you do get to L45 or close, get a Tesla Rifle. It chains to enemies around it, and even farther if you have the Grenadier perk. All my characters have Quad Automatic Tesla Rifles to tag enemies at events. Before that you can either just shoot each enemy once or use grenades/molotovs/mines.

Once you know how the game works, you can level quickly. I levelled an alt from L1 to L101 in a single Double XP weekend.

But for your first character, I suggest taking your time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yog-Sothoth wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:07 pm Low level legendary items are great, both now and when you want to start an alt character.
Or to scrap so that when you hit the level cap, you'll have gazillions of scrip to get geared up right away.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

OK. I have this on Steam and through Xbox Game Pass.
I'd prefer to play through Steam in case the one in Gamepass gets removed at some point (even though it shouldn't since MS owns it)

Question.
If I buy something for the game on Game Pass, like the PITT thing, does it transfer directly to my Fallout 76 account or does it get locked into the Game Pass version?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

apparently, I have played before as I have a L7 character. I don't remember this at all though.

More questions.
1. Instead of twitch, How do I activate VATS?

2. For camps. If I build a camp, it looks like I can move it afterward. Is this correct?
If so.

3. Does the stuff I built come with me or is it lost when I move?

4. If it comes with me, can I pace the built items in new positions or is it a snapshot of what I had and it's all or nothing?

5. If I build a stash and put stuff in it can it also be moved without losing anything?