Rotating logo

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

MHS

Post by MHS »

wonderpug wrote:Just popped in to compliment the latest version, good stuff! Gold version is fancy pants also. Which button do I push to vote to have this one be permanent? :)
As I understand it (Bad Demographic is actually our art director, so don't hold me to this), we still have at least one other logo coming that will be put into rotation. I'm not certain that the logo will be put to a community vote like the site name was. I'm sure everyone's input will carry some significant weight in the decision making, but ultimately I think there is a small committee that will make the final decision.

I'm tempted to switch to the black scheme for a while to see how that version of the logo looks. :)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Kratz wrote:I'm not an idiot
I neither said nor implied that you were. Why so defensive?
I know we are never going to get along, and I'd never want to
That's entirely up to you.
Baiting me like this is childish.
You would be mistaken to think that you were a factor in anything I said. Again, the memo indicates that the world doesn't revolve around you; didn't you receive it?

I think it's a pity that you've vented your spleen all over the thread, but do what you must. I came here to let HT know that I think his attitude and achievement on this logo rock. That's was, and remains, my only point, regardless of your apparent (and somewhat creepy) need to suppose that I'm tacitly communicating to you.
MHS

Post by MHS »

godhugh's already said this, but please keep this thread on-topic. It's kind-of rude to Hell Taco to derail his thread with pointless sniping.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Do you think anyone actually buys that? Your tactics are becoming transparent.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Great job, HT!
setaside

Post by setaside »

C'mon guys. One or both of you guys is going to need the bigger person and just let it drop. Either that or take it PMs if you still have some issues to work out. Let's not let this topic end in a lock, please.

edit: NOT end in a lock, damnit! NOT end in a lock.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

noun

Post by noun »

I like Hell's Taco's logo. I think he's a talented artist. Of course, I also liked Kratz's logo too, and I think he's a talented artist as well. I'm not even going to get dragged into an art conversation debating the worth of one artist's work over another, however, I do wonder if there are additional logos in the queue for rotation or if this is the Final logo...
That's hugely successful. Great work! (And great job working maturely with the constructive criticism!)
This comment does sound snide. One hand, it sounds like a left-handed compliment, like you didn't expect Hell's Taco to pull it off. But given the context and past inputs from you on this topic, the rest of the message is clear: "And great job working maturely with the constructive criticism unlike SOME PEOPLE I COULD NAME").

I honestly can't tell if you're intending to pick a fight or if you're just so pompous that everything you write sounds like a barely-veiled insult, but that's what I'm seeing.
Lord Percy

Post by Lord Percy »

gellar

Post by gellar »

setaside wrote:C'mon guys. One or both of you guys is going to need the bigger person and just let it drop. Either that or take it PMs if you still have some issues to work out. Let's not let this topic end in a lock, please.

edit: NOT end in a lock, damnit! NOT end in a lock.
Freudian slip much?

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Hell's Taco

Post by Hell's Taco »

MHS wrote:I'm tempted to switch to the black scheme for a while to see how that version of the logo looks.

For the first time I switched over to black to check out how the logo looked. And now that I've went "that way", I'm not going back. :D

To address a few concerns:
I agree that this is a vertical logo that may visually clash with the predominately horizontal site. There is really no way to fix that, even if it was flattened (un-3D'ed) it would still be a mostly vertical logo.
As for straightening the words, I think that would separate them to much from the image. It would look like words slapped over an image as opposed to words within an image.
Grundbegriff wrote:(And great job working maturely with the constructive criticism!)
My self-loathing far exceeds any criticism that can be given to me, constructive or not. But thank you.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Hell's Taco wrote:
MHS wrote:I'm tempted to switch to the black scheme for a while to see how that version of the logo looks.

For the first time I switched over to black to check out how the logo looked. And now that I've went "that way", I'm not going back. :D
I also really like the black with the logo... it fits much better I think.

Crap, now my avatar doesn't match.

EDIT: Ahhh, much better.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
D'Arcy

Post by D'Arcy »

Hell's Taco wrote:As for straightening the words, I think that would separate them to much from the image. It would look like words slapped over an image as opposed to words within an image.
Just to clear up a potential misunderstanding: I was advocating a straight-on perspective for both the text and the image.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

I really liked the original blue on black, though yeah, the current black theme didn't really fit... it would be cool (and not just hip, but not warm) looking to have a theme based on the blue logo on black...

Gedd and I had discussed having different themes based around different logos so that people could pick the one they liked... might be cool to discuss what would be needed to get that going at the end of this, then people could rotate through 3 or 4 different black themes, and 3 or 4 different white themes... dress according to mood and all that stuff.

I know he mentioned some issues with applying mods and whatnot to different themes, so there would be that to sort out, but it's a cool idea in any case.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

I like both of the changes to the logo for the black board but I would have rather seen the black board change to fit with the blue logo.

Actually I wouldn't mind a dark gray board scheme matched up with the blue logo.
setaside

Post by setaside »

Rich in KCK wrote:I like both of the changes to the logo for the black board but I would have rather seen the black board change to fit with the blue logo.

Actually I wouldn't mind a dark gray board scheme matched up with the blue logo.
Hey ... you whip us up a theme that matches the black/blue logo and if it passes muster, we'll see about getting things swapped. ;)

Also, like MHS said, it looks like we may have at least 1 more logo to cycle in for comments before ultimately deciding on a color scheme. In the instance of HT's color changes for the black theme, it was easier for him to just swap out some colors to match the theme than it would be to change the PHPBB theme and make all the hack changes to make it work.
setaside

Post by setaside »

Kratz wrote:I really liked the original blue on black, though yeah, the current black theme didn't really fit... it would be cool (and not just hip, but not warm) looking to have a theme based on the blue logo on black...

Gedd and I had discussed having different themes based around different logos so that people could pick the one they liked... might be cool to discuss what would be needed to get that going at the end of this, then people could rotate through 3 or 4 different black themes, and 3 or 4 different white themes... dress according to mood and all that stuff.

I know he mentioned some issues with applying mods and whatnot to different themes, so there would be that to sort out, but it's a cool idea in any case.
I agree that this would be ideal (having several different color scheme options) but like you said, too many would become unwieldy when it came to hacks/patches.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

setaside wrote:
Rich in KCK wrote:I like both of the changes to the logo for the black board but I would have rather seen the black board change to fit with the blue logo.

Hey ... you whip us up a theme that matches the black/blue logo and if it passes muster, we'll see about getting things swapped. ;)

Also, like MHS said, it looks like we may have at least 1 more logo to cycle in for comments before ultimately deciding on a color scheme. In the instance of HT's color changes for the black theme, it was easier for him to just swap out some colors to match the theme than it would be to change the PHPBB theme and make all the hack changes to make it work.
I was just dreaming and know it was easier to do it the way it was done. It just seemed like a good time and place to plant a seed for a dark board based on gray instead of black/brown/gold.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I agree that this is a vertical logo that may visually clash with the predominately horizontal site.
I'm glad you understood what I meant. I don't speak art. I thought that shrinking the logo might make it less vertical looking but I don't know much from stupid... That or we could make make the bars/links to the right bigger which would then de-emphasize (proportionalize?) the heighteyness of the logo.

I also think the logo will look much better if/when we change the forum back ground colors, so that the little guy in the upper left feels more comfortable in his surroundings.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

[Edit: Whoops-- I went to add another post and hit "edit" instead, obliterating the contents of my previous message. Here it is again, followed by the stuff that accidentally displaced it. I'm fixing this so someone's reply to my message will make proper sense]
noun wrote:This comment does sound snide. One hand, it sounds like a left-handed compliment, like you didn't expect Hell's Taco to pull it off. But given the context and past inputs from you on this topic, the rest of the message is clear: "And great job working maturely with the constructive criticism unlike SOME PEOPLE I COULD NAME").
My context for the remark is five-hundred years of stereotypes, lore, and legend about whether artists receive and digest criticism well. Those stereotypes are so deeply entrenched -- and so often reinforced by concrete misbehavior -- that I always find it worthwhile to point out when someone works hard and plays nicely on art-stuff. If you'd like to add this context to your own, have a look at Rudolf and Margot Wittkower's Born Under Saturn: The Character and Conduct of Artists.
noun wrote:I honestly can't tell if you're intending to pick a fight or if you're just so pompous that everything you write sounds like a barely-veiled insult, but that's what I'm seeing.
Are those my only choices? How charitable of you.

Nearly everything I write is simply straightforward commentary on the topic at hand; some are sensitive to my politics, my beliefs, my word choice, or whatever, and I have no control over those prejudices.

[Here's where the subsequent post was supposed to start:]

On the verticality and tilt of the logo: I like 'em, and here's why.
  • First: Because the forum is basically an elaborate grid, anything that goes against the grain of that rigorous, linear format without disrupting it earns coolness points.
  • Second: Although any browser-slice of the forum is likely to show up on screen as a rectangle, most pages scroll downward quite a ways. The logo doesn't match the single-slice format, but it does match the downward flow.
  • Third: The upward/downward flow of the graphic is broadly Octopus-like.
  • Fourth: the suckers are adorable, while the eye and grippiness of the tentacles is creepy; that's a nice balance.
  • Fifth, the depth illusion is quirky and funny, and looks especially good on the black background. Again, it plays against the dull rigor of the forum view.
noun

Post by noun »

Grundbegriff wrote:My context for the remark is five-hundred years of stereotypes, lore, and legend about whether artists receive and digest criticism well. Those stereotypes are so deeply entrenched -- and so often reinforced by concrete misbehavior -- that I always find it worthwhile to point out when someone works hard and plays nicely on art-stuff.
Wow, I had no idea you were 500 years old and personally consulted every artist who ever lived.
Grundbegriff wrote:Are those my only choices? How charitable of you.
If the shoe fits...
Grundbegriff wrote:Nearly everything I write is simply straightforward commentary on the topic at hand; some are sensitive to my politics, my beliefs, my word choice, or whatever, and I have no control over those prejudices.
That's the most complex phrasing for the sentence "I just tell it like it is" I've ever read.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

setaside wrote:
Kratz wrote:I really liked the original blue on black, though yeah, the current black theme didn't really fit... it would be cool (and not just hip, but not warm) looking to have a theme based on the blue logo on black...

I agree that this would be ideal (having several different color scheme options) but like you said, too many would become unwieldy when it came to hacks/patches.
Maybe Gedd will see this and answer, but how do the mods/hacks work that they are actually theme dependent? Seems like they should be lodged in scripts and the database, but I guess maybe some of the color ones (e.g. spoilers) might be... curious on how that works.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

HT, is it possible for you to post 1600x1200 versions of these? Pretty please, with Jessica Alba on top?
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Biyobi wrote:HT, is it possible for you to post 1600x1200 versions of these? Pretty please, with Jessica Alba on top?
Aaahhhh, maybe replace the globe with Jessica? :wub:
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

This isn't Legend of the Overfiend, dude.

And 'globe'? What globe?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kratz wrote:This isn't Legend of the Overfiend, dude.

And 'globe'? What globe?
Sorry my mind was on the next logo. Just hold the Jessica thought and it will make sense. Not to mention show what a twisted critter I am :oops:
gellar

Post by gellar »

Rip wrote:

And 'globe'? What globe?
Sorry my mind was on the next logo. Just hold the Jessica thought and it will make sense. Not to mention show what a twisted critter I am :oops:
Fuck. Now you've got me curious.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

MHS wrote:It's kind-of rude to Hell Taco to derail his thread with pointless sniping.
But only kind of.

Back on topic, I tend to agree that the tilted perspective does seem somewhat discordant with the rest of the site.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I love the logo, twisted perspective and all.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

Rip wrote:

And 'globe'? What globe?
Something tells me to exoect something similar to war of the worlds.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Kratz wrote:Maybe Gedd will see this and answer, but how do the mods/hacks work that they are actually theme dependent? Seems like they should be lodged in scripts and the database, but I guess maybe some of the color ones (e.g. spoilers) might be... curious on how that works.
Short answer...

Basically the bulk of a hack tends to be in the files that are common to every theme, but anything that actually shows up (like the spoiler mod, or the code of conduct, custom titles, etc.) has a modification that must be made to the same files in every theme. A brief example, when I added in the Code of Conduct link, I had to add it to overall header file for both themes.

phpBB patches sometimes modify the theme files as well, but unfortunately the automatic patch files only affect the subSilver theme. That means hunting down what was modified and applying it to the other themes as well.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

I really dig the gold version of the logo, HT, good job. And like Kratz said, I definitely dig the 50s vibe it's giving off. The premise of the Octopus Overlords can use some of that "campiness".

I'm still using the subsilver theme, and would really like a better, custom theme that would fit though.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
Odin

Post by Odin »

I definitely like this logo best of all the ones we've had so far (I'm using the black and gold theme). I particularly like the way it changes when I log in, now that something's borked and I constantly have to re-login.

The only think that strikes me wrong about it, and I can't explain why, is that I always expect it to be facing left rather than right, so when I look at it it looks backwards. No reason for it, but if we get to vote, I vote "left-facing" just so I'll feel better. :D

Sith
MHS

Post by MHS »

I briefly switched to the black theme... I'd never had a problem with the Navigatorhosting banner before, using sub-silver, but man is it distracting in the black.

My only gripe with the logo in the black scheme is that you don't see the disk behind the octopus- it just looks like he's floating in space.
Quipp

Post by Quipp »

I saw the same issue with disk on black background when working on the avatar-sized BSG version of HT's logo. What I did was add a nimbus of light behind the disk to help offset it from the black background and help make the disk appear to "float" as it does in the subsilver theme (see this post for results).

I'll show HT what I did, and see if he likes it and can make it work with the gold logo.
Quipp

Post by Quipp »

Biyobi wrote:HT, is it possible for you to post 1600x1200 versions of these? Pretty please, with Jessica Alba on top?
I'm sorry, no Jessica Alba, but here's the wallpapers:

Blue version:

Gold version (backlit):

Feedback on whether the black logo looks any better this way is appreciated.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

You might want to let HT mess with his own stuff...
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Kratz wrote:You might want to let HT mess with his own stuff...
If I remember the thread on the OO Mag that featured this logo originally I believe Quipp has always been involved in some way with this logo.

Here is the quote from that thread.
I'd like to thank Quipp for the copy editing (although how he guessed my password "benwaballs" I'll never know). But I tell you what, some childr...er...employees are going to get fired at the sweatsh...er..studio.
Hell's Taco

Post by Hell's Taco »

Quipp was heavily involved in making that logo. (He has been involved in varying amounts on many of the magazines) While I came up with initial design, he really brought it to life, gave it depth and the (now controversial) 3-d aspect.

And don't worry, I see Quipp everyday. Any problems I have with him I take take out in beatings. Yeah, you herrrd me bi-otch.
Quipp

Post by Quipp »

Hell's Taco wrote:And don't worry, I see Quipp everyday. Any problems I have with him I take take out in beatings. Yeah, you herrrd me bi-otch.
Don't forget, you gotta sleep sometime, mutha fukka. :twisted: