2024 Fundraising - $1001 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Fallout 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Grifman »

Clueless Gamer (Conan) reviews Fallout 4:

http://teamcoco.com/fallout4
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

naednek wrote:I had 225 days once... why does it take so long to unlock. It should be unpacked as soon as you download it. When it hits the time to be released, they should just make you download the exe. This is beyond ridiculous.
I guess I should be grateful that it only went to 5 days at one point?
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
naednek

Post by naednek »

got to unpack only to have an error stating an error occurred while writing to drive. Tried steam's suggestions, no go. Redownloading :(

Guess I'll play tomorrow
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

naednek wrote:got to unpack only to have an error stating an error occurred while writing to drive. Tried steam's suggestions, no go. Redownloading :(

Guess I'll play tomorrow
Ouch. Good luck with it. I hope I don't have similar problems, obviously.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sadly, I can't play it until tomorrow afternoon. I promised my kids I wouldn't start until they were here. I did tell them, however, that once started, I'm playing when I feel like it.
I launched it and set the configuration. I listened to the music and looked at the power armor menu screen. Then I had to exit. ~15 more hours, depending on how much homework they have tomorrow.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Took a solid 30+ minutes to unpack, but then I was able to play for 45 minutes without a single hiccup. Maybe I'm just old (and can appreciate how far games have come), but it looks beautiful to me. The game auto detected my PC to "Ultra" and once again, those first steps outside are amazing. But even the vault itself looks pretty impressive - the little details and expanded use of color really work. I was pretty nervous about it running like crap or looking meh, but I am pleased. Other than not being able to adjust the FOV, I can work with it. Game on friends - game on. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've played 48 minutes. Having avoided the previews and the sneak peaks and the spoilers, all I can say is that I'm very, very impressed.

The auto configuration set me to some nice graphics settings. According to the Steam overlay I stayed at a rock solid 60 fps, but I did see some slight stuttering at times. Nothing significant.

I went for a middle of the road SPECIAL setting, not wanting to commit myself too much in any one way:

Heading back into the game...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Grifman wrote:Clueless Gamer (Conan) reviews Fallout 4:

http://teamcoco.com/fallout4
God how I love The Clueless Gamer!
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

No hiccups. Game runs at auto selected medium resolution. Only one audio hiccup, but I had forgotten about my motion sickness. Damn I feel like crap and I haven't even left the house yet. (Character creation)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, two crash to desktops and it changed my computer background colors.
This IS gonna be interesting!
Settings set to high.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Amazon just sent me a text.
Game to be delivered Wednesday by 8:00pm

Preordered in Early October to get the Val-tech perk poster

gaming gods taunting me because I have some free time to play
AKA: Dajjer
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

2.3 hours in and I'm going to call it a night. No crashes, still running at a rock solid 60fps at what I think is the high video setting (I let the game set it at start). Hell, it looks great anyway. The Nvidia GeForce Experience app shows that I'm running some settings higher than optimal, some lower than optimal, but I haven't been thrilled with what that app does for me on other games so I'm not touching anything.

All the Workshop stuff is a bit confusing to me and of course I hate to build anything that uses resources I might need later on. And I've broken the last of my bobby pins :cry:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
neofit

Post by neofit »

How disappointing, in 2015 with their budget. Stuff jumps at you right from the first seconds. From the terrible mouse lag on "Nvidia, the way it's meant to be played" (fixable), to the "stuck at every terminal" bug (intermittent fix), to the hardcoded keys on the interface which makes it unplayable on non-qwerty keyboards. To turn it around, imagine using your usual WASD to move around, then having to switch to ZQSD anywhere else where you have to navigate. Character creation was already a torture for the fingers, and it is literally unplayable in a VATS that doesn't pause the game anymore. I seriously regret taking a day off for this.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Played for 2 hours since 3am. So far so good. Looks great on my "meets minimum specs" PC. Auto detect put me at medium detail. There's some lag with the key presses in character creation but that's about it.

Tried to look up a list of "spoken" names then saw that if named after a sci-fi character it will be spoken. So "Kaylee" the black widow gunslinger it is!
Normann

Post by Normann »

tgb wrote:
Holman wrote:I'm 46, and just this morning I bonded with an 18-y.o. student over Fallout 4 coming out tomorrow.
I'm 63 and read that as boned. It did get my attention, however.
The funnies post at 7 am for me in a long time. Coffee all over the desk :mrgreen:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:I'm 46, and just this morning I bonded with an 18-y.o. student over Fallout 4 coming out tomorrow.
If we're doing an age verification to play this game I barely made it at the young age of 47. 8-)

Going to set out for my town of Lexington as soon as I can in the game to see what it's like.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
RMC

Post by RMC »

$iljanus wrote:
If we're doing an age verification to play this game I barely made it at the young age of 47. 8-)

Going to set out for my town of Lexington as soon as I can in the game to see what it's like.
Man, I thought I was old at 42, looks like I am right in the wheelhouse for this forum. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
AjD

Post by AjD »

AjD wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Yes, I do have Service Pack 1 and every recommended updated installed. It's the 64-bit home premium edition (if that matters).
Hmm, I guess I'll do all the updates then. Shoot, this is going to take awhile...
Just woke up with a clear head... got it working! This time, instead of disabling, I actually QUIT my 3rd party antivirus, antispyware, firewall, etc. Everything I could think of that might interfere. Also turned off Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

Downloading the Steam activation package now... 24 minutes to go!

P.S. I'm also pushing 50 years... this forum is a bunch of geezers; I love it!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I fired up the game this morning, and I've only had a few minutes with it. I'm barely out of my tube in the Vault.

Overall: Thrilled to be back in Fallout, and I can't wait to get outside!

Question: Is there no way to change mouse movement speed?

Niggle: The faces in the shaving mirror look great, but the faces of folks in the Vault look plasticky in a way that doesn't seem state of the art. I wonder if there's a setting I can fiddle with. The game defaulted to "High" for me.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Normann

Post by Normann »

I am in game. Good news: GTX 670 got high settings. So I am happy with that. Just saved 650 quids.

Initial impression. Lefties left behind again. Can't reprogram to numpad. That alone is ok. But can't reprogram action keys like quick pickup (E by default). This is retarded. Alright. This is my gaming day so back to it. I am sure it will be fun. Hopefully a patch will help out soon... yeah right...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm continually surprised at how much of an improvement my nvidia 970 can make in spite of my aging cpu. I've got an older i5 Lynnfield running at about 2.4, but Fallout bumped me to a default of Ultra in the graphics department on start thanks to my 970. And it runs pretty smooth so far. I'm just about to leave the vault, so it may tank after that though.

Although to be honest, I wouldn't call the graphics in this game "cutting edge" by any stretch. If anything, it looks almost the same as Skyrim from a few years back.
He won. Period.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

hepcat wrote:I'm continually surprised at how much of an improvement my nvidia 970 can make in spite of my aging cpu. I've got an older i5 Lynnfield running at about 2.4, but Fallout bumped me to a default of Ultra in the graphics department on start thanks to my 970. And it runs pretty smooth so far. I'm just about to leave the vault, so it may tank after that though.

Although to be honest, I wouldn't call the graphics in this game "cutting edge" by any stretch. If anything, it looks almost the same as Skyrim from a few years back.
I have been playing Skrim this week I can say that F4 graphics are a lot better, sure you can add some massive mods to spice Skyrim up but F4 outta the box looks great.

Involved in a big shoot atm must be upwards of 30 raiders in this location, using up some ammo atm but really enjoying it
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

WarPig wrote:8:30 here in Phoenix and Amazon still doesn't show my pip-boy edition as being shipped yet, though tells me it is still on schedule for delivery tomorrow. Nervous hand-wringing begun.
UPS sent me a shipping notice at 2130 last night with estimated delivery between 1445 and 1745 today. Amazon sent a shipped email shortly thereafter. I assume my XB1 will need a huge O/S patch, then the game will install and require a huge patch, then the bulb on my projector will go out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Arnir wrote:
naednek wrote:got to unpack only to have an error stating an error occurred while writing to drive. Tried steam's suggestions, no go. Redownloading :(

Guess I'll play tomorrow

redownloaded it and same problem
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Unlike all of you I'm young (33) and haven't played it yet because I fell asleep on the couch waiting for midnight last night. Which kind of makes me old, I guess.

Anyways, gonna play tonight!
raydude

Post by raydude »

hepcat wrote:I'm continually surprised at how much of an improvement my nvidia 970 can make in spite of my aging cpu. I've got an older i5 Lynnfield running at about 2.4, but Fallout bumped me to a default of Ultra in the graphics department on start thanks to my 970. And it runs pretty smooth so far. I'm just about to leave the vault, so it may tank after that though.

That sounds promising! I've been wondering whether to upgrade my CPU (i5-2500 3.3GHz) or graphics card (GTX 550Ti) and decided to wait for Black Friday deals on an Nvidia 970.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Just a tip, for those of you who are using auto-detect for the graphics settings make sure to double check that the resolution is actually set to what you want. Just realized I'd been playing at 720p instead of 1080p. Now that I've fixed it everything is much crisper with no noticable performance hit.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

raydude wrote:

That sounds promising! I've been wondering whether to upgrade my CPU (i5-2500 3.3GHz) or graphics card (GTX 550Ti) and decided to wait for Black Friday deals on an Nvidia 970.
Ray, That would be a really nice upgrade for you. I upgraded from a 760 to 970 and even that was a significant jump in performance.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Plus, if you later upgrade the cpu, just transfer the graphic card. It's a no risk upgrade essentially. I've been loving my 970. I'm off to get a Steam Link later today as I want to take advantage of all these games from my couch without having to buy the console versions (when available, that is).
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote:
Arnir wrote:

Guess I'll play tomorrow

installed it on a different slower hard drive and now it works. Now I'm going to try moving it and see what happens.
AjD

Post by AjD »

raydude wrote:

Wow, just played for an hour... in my opinion, it looks terrific. Not revolutionary, but an expertly done refinement of the Fallout design style. Bravo to Bethesda.

Some other early graphics impressions: I've also recently been playing F3, and can confirm that F4 looks head and shoulders better. Modern reflections, shadows, lighting effects, texture details. Laughably huge improvement to my eyes, after playing vanilla F3 on the same rig last month. Are the graphics top-of-line, bleeding edge (as in, "oh my god! look at that!")? No. But it definitely looks like a contemporary game to me.

Also, IMHO the balance between realism and cartoon-y in the art direction is a great fit. (Yes, even in the character faces.) So much pre-release anxiety about graphics quality for this game (in other forums, not here)... it's almost funny experiencing this firsthand and seeing how nice it all looks!

Also...! Big news for me, maybe of interest to others who are on the fence -- I'm running this on an old Q9550 box I built seven years ago. And the game auto-detected all the settings to Ultra at 1080!

Again, this is on a circa-2008 Win7 PC with 8GB of aging DDR2 memory. Only updates to this box in the years since I built it are an SSD drive and a GTX 960 4GB edition (bought last month for $150 just for this game). My framerate so far is averaging in the 50s!

And again, game looks just fabulous. I've got the day off (well, until 3pm). Currently playing in the man cave on a 9 foot projection screen. Bliss...

P.S. It's early, but I'm very much digging the voiced character. Actually, overall voice acting is several steps above any of the previous Bethesda games. Maybe it's because I'm playing on a home theater screen, but everything seems much more cinematic. FWIW, I'm playing the female (as "Clara", my late immigrant grandmother - who had her own perilous journey, thrown out of a hostile land into a new world).
Normann

Post by Normann »

Sooooo stupid questions series #1:

I have leveled to lvl 3 but I still did not get a chance to pick a perk or distribute points into stats. What am I missing? I know it is in front of me right there somewhere.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Normann wrote:Sooooo stupid questions series #1:

I have leveled to lvl 3 but I still did not get a chance to pick a perk or distribute points into stats. What am I missing? I know it is in front of me right there somewhere.
I think you have to go into your Pipboy to do this. It doesn't pop up on screen like it did in Fallout 3 and FONV.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

Grifman wrote:
Normann wrote:Sooooo stupid questions series #1:

I think you have to go into your Pipboy to do this. It doesn't pop up on screen like it did in Fallout 3 and FONV.
I concur. It is in the Pipboy, but once I got there I was confused as hell as to what to do. I never figured out what changes stuck, how many points I had, etc.

On a different note, I finally remembered to hold down the R key to holster my weapon.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

naednek wrote:
naednek wrote:
Arnir wrote:

Guess I'll play tomorrow

installed it on a different slower hard drive and now it works. Now I'm going to try moving it and see what happens.
Sounds like you might be looking at an imminent hardware failure for the drive you couldn't install to. I'd scan the disk for errors if I were you.
Insert witty comment here.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Okay, I was half asleep so I might have just missed something right in the open, but does anyone know?
Spoiler:
Where the heck is the cave below the gas station right outside of sanctuary?
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Question: Is there no way to change mouse movement speed?
Oops. Duh. It's called "Look Sensitivity."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

TiLT wrote:
naednek wrote:
naednek wrote:
Arnir wrote:

Guess I'll play tomorrow

Sounds like you might be looking at an imminent hardware failure for the drive you couldn't install to. I'd scan the disk for errors if I were you.
I did some scans and no errors have been reported. I have an SSD. I'm going to install another game on steam to the same drive and see if I get the same results.

Also is there a way through Steam where I can move the game to a different drive after its been installed? I know u have the choice during install but I can't find the options. I know there's a 3rd party app but was hoping to avoid it.

Thanks
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

naednek wrote:Also is there a way through Steam where I can move the game to a different drive after its been installed? I know u have the choice during install but I can't find the options. I know there's a 3rd party app but was hoping to avoid it.

Thanks
See the second option, looks simple enough:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a-pc- ... 1714706774
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

With Steam, I just either start the install in a new place, and then stop the install and copy all the files from my old install over. Or move the files first and then reinstall on that drive.

You have to put the entire game directory into the right folder, sorry at work or I would goggle the default path. :(