Ye Olde Gerontocracy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Ye Olde Gerontocracy

Post by Kraken »

Old people are having a moment. Most prominently in politics, but America is aging too.
The leading role played by older folks is something the country may have to get accustomed to: A decade from now, according to federal population projections, the United States will be home to more people over 65 than those under 18 — a complete reversal of the current picture.
The current Congress contains the oldest Senate ever (median: 65) and the third oldest House (median: almost 58). Thirty-three senators are 70 or older; only 9 are under 50. The median age of Americans is 38.

In the federal judiciary, where there are neither mandatory retirement ages nor term limits, the median age of judges is now 68, the oldest ever. When the Founders decided to appoint judges for life, they did not foresee life lasting quite this long. Alexander Hamilton argued for lifetime tenure, noting “how few there are who outlive the season of intellectual vigor.” (Most states never went along with that approach; in 31 state court systems, judges face a mandatory retirement age, in most cases at 70.)

Beyond the leadership, the federal government’s rank and file, 2.2. million strong, is lopsided by age: More than 30 percent of federal workers are 55 or older, and only 8 percent are under 30 (by comparison, in the private sector, 20-somethings make up 23 percent of the workforce). Leaders have long worried about their ability to fill crucial roles when the older workers do finally retire.
Holman

Re: Ye Olde Gerontocracy

Post by Holman »

OK Boomer.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe DC should start lobbying the nursing homes for fresh meats in the seats.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:25 pmOK Boomer.
LOL

I was recently "separated" from a job where I was surrounded by millenials. I jokingly called out some of the more tough skinned co-workers "boomers" when they had computer problems and called for the old man to come help. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I must say I love the title of this thread. Very creative sir.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks. I figured y'all would take shots at us boomers, and we should have a place to specifically bitch about the old people clogging up the government.

I don't like term limits but could get behind mandatory retirement ages, especially for judges. You get to be 70, maybe 75, you had a good run and it's time to move on. But you'd probably need to amend the Constitution to apply it to POTUS, SCOTUS, and Congress. I'm sure our elderly Congress would come together to make that happen.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

On the other hand, a good government job is one of the few where you won't get fired for being old, and not be able to ever find a job again.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:58 am On the other hand, a good government job is one of the few where you won't get fired for being old, and not be able to ever find a job again.
See also: academia
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:10 am
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:58 am On the other hand, a good government job is one of the few where you won't get fired for being old, and not be able to ever find a job again.
A lot of which are state government jobs ;)

(as I work at a large state university, I'm well aware of who signs my paychecks!)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:13 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:10 am
A lot of which are state government jobs ;)

(as I work at a large state university, I'm well aware of who signs my paychecks!)
The software system being run by 20-something payroll clerks?
It's almost as if people are the problem.