My Time at Sandrock

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

My Time at Sandrock

Post by coopasonic »

It looks like we never had a thread for My Time at Portia. My Time at Sandrock is very, very similar but with more on many fronts. I'm not sure what to compare them to. The tags on Sandrock are:
Life Sim
Building
Sandbox
Farming Sim
RPG

Those are all more or less accurate but don't really reflect how it comes together as a whole. I guess I'd say it seems most like Stardew Valley but my son that LOVES Stardew has little interest in these games. Anyway, it came out of early access last week and I have been spending a LOT of time with it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Re: My Time at Sandrock

Post by naednek »

I read the title as My Time at Stardock and thought maybe Ron from Gaming Trend made a game about his employment there.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I liked My Time at Portia and I think I have My Time at Sandrock in the game library. That said, I drift away from these types of games quicker than other genres, but I really did like Portia. The next gaming lull, I might have to install it (or retry Portia).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I really liked My Time at Portia, and I've been waiting for the price to come down on this. It looks like they changed certain aspects in how things like mining are done. In Portia, if you wanted to mine, you literally could mine anywhere in the dedicated mines, whereas in this, you can only mine nodes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Also waiting for a price drop. I really liked My Time at Portia as well, but I'm hesitant to jump back into that one knowing this is out there with improvements. I think I might actually like the mining changes. One thing that kind of burned me out on Portia was the freeform mining, I didn't care for it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

One thing I really liked about it was the overall look and gameplay. The questing never felt like a bunch of chores unlike other games of this type; the story missions in any case, had a real organic flow to them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:01 pm I really liked My Time at Portia, and I've been waiting for the price to come down on this. It looks like they changed certain aspects in how things like mining are done. In Portia, if you wanted to mine, you literally could mine anywhere in the dedicated mines, whereas in this, you can only mine nodes.
Sorry I didn't notice this earlier. I'm not sure where you got that idea. The mining is exactly the same in Sandrock as it was in Portia.

I think I am over 60 hours now and still enjoying it. I finally convinced Amirah to marry me so now I have help around the shop and it looks like I am finally going to get past the Iron stage. I think the over-arching story here progresses much more slowly than in Portia. Part of that could be that I am doing way too much and trying to pack everything possible into every single day... and I still don't have time to do much socially. Regardless, if you do enough jobs for people they love you anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:56 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:01 pm I really liked My Time at Portia, and I've been waiting for the price to come down on this. It looks like they changed certain aspects in how things like mining are done. In Portia, if you wanted to mine, you literally could mine anywhere in the dedicated mines, whereas in this, you can only mine nodes.
Sorry I didn't notice this earlier. I'm not sure where you got that idea. The mining is exactly the same in Sandrock as it was in Portia.

Oh, I'd watched an earlier in-development video with one of the developers talking about the mining, saying that they were going for a node-based approach . But they may have had feedback that made them change it given that it was going to be way different. They might have just scrapped that idea and just go with the same system as in Portia. Come to think of it, it might have been related to the multiplayer mode they were hoping to add, where freeform mining would be much more difficult to achieve.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it today. I'd say it has a more interesting story than Portia, but it drags on way too long. It took me about 120 hours which is about twice as long as I would have preferred. Good value for the money though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter