2023 Steam Christmas/Wishmas Giving

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

2023 Steam Christmas/Wishmas Giving

Post by Grifman »

Well, it's that time of the year for our annual Christmas/Wishmas giving. Here's the Google Doc list from last year:

Wishmaslist

Please update your info if anything has changed or add your name/info if this is your first time and update gifts given/received as the holiday proceeds.

Please post if you are participating and I will list everyone participating here. I'll start with myself.

Participants

Grifman
Isgrimnur
Daehawk
Lassr
hitbyambulance
Scoop09206
Formix
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Blackhawk
Jaddison
JetFred

Until the list is finalized, I will not be deleting anyone, I have bolded those that are currently participating.
Last edited by Grifman on Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Re: 2023 Steam Christmas/Wishmas Giving

Post by Isgrimnur »

In.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In.

I think I can afford to buy my friends a few cheap games. If not I am worse off than I thought. I think the only one I missed was the year my wife died and I just didn't have the spirit to do it in me.

EDIT: I checked my list link and it still works. I'll edit my list soon. It still has some things on it Ive gotten. Ill look for cheap stuff to add.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know. This may be the first year I have to skip, as I'm still in the process of transitioning from one budget (Michelle bringing in most of the family money) to a new budget (Michelle out of the picture, but the kids contributing more.) We make enough to get by, but the first couple of months are going to be a little rocky, as some aspects of the old system are gone, but the equivalents from the new system haven't kicked in yet.

Save me a spot, and I'll figure out whether to stick with it or not as we get closer.

If I do, I'll be using an IsThereAnyDeal (ITAD) link rather than a Steam link, as that's where I keep all of my lists these days (it shows when there's a deal that's cheaper than Steam from a well-curated set of retailers - it's the same people that run the Enhanced Steam browser plugin.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

that time already?? i ofc wish to be included.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm out this year. I was a little frustrated last year with the restrictions on not being able to gift to those outside my Country.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I do, I'll be using an IsThereAnyDeal (ITAD) link rather than a Steam link, as that's where I keep all of my lists these days (it shows when there's a deal that's cheaper than Steam from a well-curated set of retailers
I have used it since last year thanks to you. I love it. I checked the link and the waitlist and all seems in order.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'd like to join in this year. :wub:
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Formix

Post by Formix »

I'm in. ITAD looks interesting...
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Bump
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok guys got some money added to Steam and just waiting on some sales.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I'd like to participate, thanks!
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, count me in. I suppose I need to tweak my list a bit.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Updated as of today with all entries.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

no one else maintains a GOG wishlist? ... well, i guess i don't either. yikes. need to update that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never used it. I use the one at IsThereAnyDeal thanks to Blackhawk. I wouldn't have used it without his promoting it and backing it and info on it. I like it because its easier to see where each game is cheapest in one spot and I don't have to fool with organizing and changing my old Steam list that I only keep now for nostalgia's sake.

Megaquarium is really pulling me to buy it at $7 as that's my buy point for that game. But with Steam Wishmas I don't know if I should buy it or leave it as a cheap item for others to see on my wishlist lol. DECISIONS! I'm bad at them...especially when rushed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:28 pm no one else maintains a GOG wishlist? ... well, i guess i don't either. yikes. need to update that.
I do have GoG games on my ITAD wishlist as well. It's nice to have all of the various platforms' lists in one place, and (as I've advertised so much in the past), it shows the lowest prices on every site, so instead of just seeing that something's 20% off on Steam, I'll also see that it's 30% off on GoG, and 70% on Fantatical. I also like that I can keep separate wishlists (one for regular PC games, one form VR games, one for games I just kinda want to watch and decide later, etc.), and to be notified when they are selling somewhere for less than an amount or percentage I specify (I could, for instance, add all of the American Truck Sim or Civ DLC to a list and tell it to notify me any time it's on sale at more than 60% off on any of the stores I approved.)
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I will consider jumping in.

Are there any parameters? Minimum amount expected to spend, deadlines, etc.?

Are the links in the first post mostly a cut and paste to people's Steam wishlist?

Thanks!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:28 pm no one else maintains a GOG wishlist? ... well, i guess i don't either. yikes. need to update that.
i added Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty DLC since i own the base game on GOG, but that's it. i'm still unemployed, but i'll try to contribute as usual this year.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I'm having a hell of a time coming up with games for the list. I have lots of games that I want to play, but when I do one of these, I feel like I have a 'responsibility' to play them fairly soon. And my 'very soon' is unusually packed with games.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s a wishlist, not an assignment.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Fardaza wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:59 pm I will consider jumping in.

Are the links in the first post mostly a cut and paste to people's Steam wishlist?

Thanks!
Spend as much or as little as you can afford or are comfortable with. If person A gifts you a game, you are in no way obligated to gift person A a gift in return, but rather, try to pay it forward to another entrant. Sometimes there are those who are having a tough time of it and can't afford to gift others, but we'll still gift them. This is really about being friendly and giving in the spirit of the season, at least what it should be.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also have a hell of a time finding cheap games anymore. When this first started years ago, Steam still had sales where good games went under $5-$10. That's not true anymore. By this point, I've collected most of the cheaper, older games, and always feel bad when I have a bunch of $20+ items on my list, hoping that they drop significantly during the sale.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:35 pm

Thanks!
Spend as much or as little as you can afford or are comfortable with. If person A gifts you a game, you are in no way obligated to gift person A a gift in return, but rather, try to pay it forward to another entrant. Sometimes there are those who are having a tough time of it and can't afford to gift others, but we'll still gift them. This is really about being friendly and giving in the spirit of the season, at least what it should be.
So, when do I get someone a game? Now, next week, on Christmas day? Do I just pick someone on the list and order something for them off their wishlist? How do I know that 3 other people didn't buy them a game, and two others got nothing?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:49 am

Thanks!
So, when do I get someone a game? Now, next week, on Christmas day? Do I just pick someone on the list and order something for them off their wishlist? How do I know that 3 other people didn't buy them a game, and two others got nothing?
The steam winter sale starts around the 20th/21st, that's likely when you'll see a bigger number of thank you posts here. Some dupes happen as the game doesn't disappear off the steam wish list until it is accepted. The duplicate gift is declined and you get notification of that. No idea how ITAD updates wishlists but I'd expect best case the same limitation. There are gift given/received columns in the spreadsheet where you update your own status to reflect what you've given and received.

Don't take this post as a sign of my participating this year. I haven't really touched last years gifts as they were mostly early access and I am trying to wait and this years list is also mostly early access. I am not saying I won't buy a few gifts, but I don't want to officially participate and receive more stuff I won't play for 3 years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:49 am

Thanks!
Once I have a final list, look at the Google spreadsheet linked in the initial post which I will update with those participating. It will have info for everyone involved. We ask everyone to uodate two things as the giving starts. Post the number of gifts you give, and post the number of gifts you receive. That way we can try as a group to balance out the number of gifts each person receives.

If you are going to participate, add your name and Steam Wishlist data so we can make sure you get what you want. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Last edited by Grifman on Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Cool. Thanks.

I'm in!
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Is there a certain date we should pull the trigger and start?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Scoop20906 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:02 am Is there a certain date we should pull the trigger and start?
Traditionally it should be at the start of the Winter sale:
Next major Steam sale is Winter Sale 2023 on 21 December 2023
But there aren't any formal rules or requirements if you're feeling inspired sooner.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, we frequently have people start much earlier, although I also wait for the sale.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I will have to purchase a gift this week because I'll be out of internet access beginning Sunday for almost 3 weeks.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I've never tried buying a game on Steam for someone else as a gift. Do you have to be friends on Steam in order to purchase a gift for someone?
I tried to get a game for one of the members on the list, but it wouldn't let me because he wasn't on my friends' list.
Another member it took me to his page but did not show me his wishlist.
I have to buy this tonight or early tomorrow because I'm going out of town for 3 weeks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jingle bells shotgun shells Santas got a gun
Shot me in my underwear and boy I had to run.....HEY!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fardaza wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:16 pm I've never tried buying a game on Steam for someone else as a gift. Do you have to be friends on Steam in order to purchase a gift for someone?
I tried to get a game for one of the members on the list, but it wouldn't let me because he wasn't on my friends' list.
Another member it took me to his page but did not show me his wishlist.
I have to buy this tonight or early tomorrow because I'm going out of town for 3 weeks.
Yes, you need to be friends. When you go to buy, choose 'Purchase as a Gift.' When you check out, it will have you choose which of your friends you give it to. When you're done, it will pop up on their PC with whatever message you used (Ker Blam), and a button to claim it. When they click 'claim', it adds it to their library.

This reminds me - I need to find some more stuff to put on my wishlist!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I'm sorry everyone, but I'm not going to be able to participate this year. I'm leaving on a cruise for 3 weeks and won't have internet access. It's getting too late to friend someone on Steam and get a gift for them. Please remove me from the list, and I look forward to next year when I know what to do.
Merry Christmas and Happy Gaming New Year!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

maybe we needed 'you must be friended with the person on Steam you're gifting the title' in the 'instructions'
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I'm in but unless you are going to get me the monitor that Daehawk showcased please think about giving to others. I have enough games for 2 probably 3 lifetimes
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Last call before the Steam sale begins!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Grifman wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:24 am Last call before the Steam sale begins!
Bailey's and coffee, make it a double with whipcream please