Red Vines vs. Twizzlers - vote and be heard!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Red Vines or Twizzlers? (red, OG versions of both, not the crappy alts)

Twizzlers, obviously
56%
Red Vines, obviously
33%
I am a sheltered, worthless baby, who in literally decades of existence on this planet, has not tried both of these things to be able to make the comparison
11%

Total votes: 27

TheMix

Re: Red Vines vs. Twizzlers - vote and be heard!

Post by TheMix »

Firmly in the licorice camp. Real licorice. I only eat the red things under duress. I can't even remember the last time I saw Red Vines in a store. Maybe never. So I don't have an opinion on the actual poll. Unless we get an "Option 4: Give me the real stuff!".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hentzau wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:26 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:21 am
Mariano's on Elston? That's where I shop! (I can also walk to Hagen's when I want fish).
Yeah! It's right at the end of my street. I'm surprised I haven't run into you there. I'm walking down there seems like at least once a day.
My big shopping day is usually Sunday. I sometimes do a mid-week run, but there's a crappy Jewel that's closer to my house if I just need something small.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:07 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:19 pm I'd avoid the second bit, but I do love some good pickled herring. Which is, sadly, hard to find. Wine herring (which is tolerable) and sour cream herring (which is not) are both all over, but actual pickled herring? Nowhere.

And yes, I also enjoy extra strong stinky cheeses.
You would love my neighborhood. We have the original Hagen's Fish Market, and they have multiple varieties of both canned and fresh pickled herring. Hagen's Fish Market

Then at the Mariano's grocery store, down at the end of my block, they have just put in a free-standing 4 sided display filled with all kinds of varieties of canned fish. So, I kind of live in pickled herring central.
When I was in 1st and 2nd grade, my teacher, a first generation American whose parents had immigrated from Norway, held a 'Norwegian Day' every year. She'd bring in memorabilia, teach about Norway, read Norwegian folktales, and she'd bring in piles of Norwegian food. That's where I got hooked on pickled herring. Most of the kids didn't like it, but me? I loved it. She had so much left over that she let me stay after class and help 'clean it up.' I was also obsessed with the krumkake, which I haven't had in more than 40 years. I really need to get myself an iron and a roller and learn to make it one day.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:17 am Also, good job everyone for not saying "anise tastes like ass".
Mostly because most people don't know how to pronounce it, and aren't going to say "anise tastes like a niece."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:55 am
Mariano's on Elston? That's where I shop! (I can also walk to Hagen's when I want fish).
Yeah! It's right at the end of my street. I'm surprised I haven't run into you there. I'm walking down there seems like at least once a day.
My big shopping day is usually Sunday. I sometimes do a mid-week run, but there's a crappy Jewel that's closer to my house if I just need something small.
Guess I forgot you had moved into the 'hood. If you're a WFHer, we should do lunch sometime.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I enjoy them both. Twizzlers are easier to come by and probably my favorite. I won’t turn down Red Vines though.

I am strange, I really like the chocolate flavor of Twizzlers.

Actual black licorice is disgusting, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:07 pm
hentzau wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:07 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:19 pm I'd avoid the second bit, but I do love some good pickled herring. Which is, sadly, hard to find. Wine herring (which is tolerable) and sour cream herring (which is not) are both all over, but actual pickled herring? Nowhere.

And yes, I also enjoy extra strong stinky cheeses.
You would love my neighborhood. We have the original Hagen's Fish Market, and they have multiple varieties of both canned and fresh pickled herring. Hagen's Fish Market

Then at the Mariano's grocery store, down at the end of my block, they have just put in a free-standing 4 sided display filled with all kinds of varieties of canned fish. So, I kind of live in pickled herring central.
When I was in 1st and 2nd grade, my teacher, a first generation American whose parents had immigrated from Norway, held a 'Norwegian Day' every year. She'd bring in memorabilia, teach about Norway, read Norwegian folktales, and she'd bring in piles of Norwegian food. That's where I got hooked on pickled herring. Most of the kids didn't like it, but me? I loved it. She had so much left over that she let me stay after class and help 'clean it up.' I was also obsessed with the krumkake, which I haven't had in more than 40 years. I really need to get myself an iron and a roller and learn to make it one day.
My wife makes krumkake and sandkaker and rosettes every holiday season. She and my daughter just made a batch of vaffler for my daughter's holiday party yeseterday.

I'd send you some krumkake but I don't think It would survive the transit.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

crumbed krumkake
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hentzau wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:13 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:55 am
Guess I forgot you had moved into the 'hood. If you're a WFHer, we should do lunch sometime.
We could go to Hagen's for fish sandwiches!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Pickeled herring is a christmas food for me, on account of my Norwegian heritage. My Grandmother would make some every year, and let it pickle until Christmas. Yes, we also had krumkaka, and salmon with dill sauce. That is how I enjoyed Christmas dinner as a child.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:03 pm I had to look up red Vines. I HATE licorice of any type so I cant vote
It's not licorice.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:09 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:03 pm I had to look up red Vines. I HATE licorice of any type so I cant vote
Poppycock...yours is the third option, sir!
https://www.poppycock-popcorn.com/
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:11 am
The good news is the neither of these has anything whatsoever to do with licorice.
I was even later than you were.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Regarding the poll, it depends on my mood. I would say Red Vines mood more often than Twizzlers, but have to make sure the Red Vines are fresh and soft.

I like filled Twizzlers too, and love licorice.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

My wife is more into liquorice than I and first choice is the All Sorts, followed by Nibs (red). I voted Red Vines as my preference, though, from vague remembrances.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:50 am Firmly in the licorice camp. Real licorice. I only eat the red things under duress. I can't even remember the last time I saw Red Vines in a store. Maybe never. So I don't have an opinion on the actual poll. Unless we get an "Option 4: Give me the real stuff!".
Dammit, guys.

I will put an option for "real licorice" in this poll which has NOTHING to with licorice, except possibly the shape of licorice is SOMETIMES in a cord like this...if I start to see people make polls like...."which of these is better, Fallout 2, Jagged Alliance 2, or 2003 Acura Legends?" :P
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:46 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:50 am Firmly in the licorice camp. Real licorice. I only eat the red things under duress. I can't even remember the last time I saw Red Vines in a store. Maybe never. So I don't have an opinion on the actual poll. Unless we get an "Option 4: Give me the real stuff!".
Dammit, guys.

I will put an option for "real licorice" in this poll which has NOTHING to with licorice, except possibly the shape of licorice is SOMETIMES in a cord like this...if I start to see people make polls like...."which of these is better, Fallout 2, Jagged Alliance 2, or 2003 Acura Legends?" :P
I understood that. But I felt you needed to understand why "I don't have an opinion on the actual poll". i.e. I'm not voting in your poll. I suppose all us licorice fans could have stayed out of the discussion. But I wouldn't want you to wonder why people weren't responding. Well... some people.

To put it another way, you don't have to change your poll. But you probably will get more responses to it if there is an option for those that don't prefer either of those.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm surprised Twizzlers are winning.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:50 pm I'm surprised Twizzlers are winning.
I'm surprised that there is any other option except for Twizzlers.
I have always had huge bag in my house but because I am diabetic I have to limit myself to 1 or maybe 2 per day. If sugar is running high, no Twizzlers for me and that is a sad day.
My current issue is remembering that I even have them but they are a nice surprise when I remember them weeks later.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:51 am Sugar-free Twizzlers
WOW! I had no idea those existed. I wonder how close to the originals taste they are.
Looks like I need to remember this on the next trip to Walmart.
Thanks!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Sounds like they are sweetened with the same thing that caused sugar-free gummy bears to cause a lot of cases of diarrhea and gas. Maltitol syrup. Proceed with caution :o
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:50 pm I'm surprised Twizzlers are winning.
I'm surprised that the UN hasn't stepped in to put a stop to what is obviously a crime against mankind in both cases.
Punisher wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:56 pm My current issue is remembering that I even have them but they are a nice surprise when I remember them weeks later.
After a nuclear war there will be two things: cockroaches and waxy, crappy candy.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Looks like the cockroaches will be starving.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

At the movie theater, my candy of choice is a bag of twizzlers. But the theater closest to my house doesn't carry them. So usually I have a box of red vines.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I do enjoy me some fine licorice through. All sorts are good, I like the coconut additions. But nothing compares to the cat ears or salted herrings.. However I detest good and plenty, and I also have a strong dislike for anise in food, and dont like licorice in tea.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymon wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:12 pm At the movie theater, my candy of choice is a bag of twizzlers. But the theater closest to my house doesn't carry them. So usually I have a box of red vines.
...he says, casually, as if those two things are pretty much the same! Aaaah!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:00 am
WOW! I had no idea those existed. I wonder how close to the originals taste they are.
Not close. To put it another way, unless you have non-functioning taste receptors, have you ever had ANYthing that is sugar-free, that tastes like the original? I've tried them all, including the lastest, nasty option (monkfruit) and they all, to me, have a horrible, sacchariny aftertaste.

Having said that, the wife and I went through a years long phase of drinking Diet Coke for some weird reason. Neither of us drink soft drinks now, and haven't in 20 years or so. Now that I think about it, she may have used that to try and wean me off the Dr. Pepper I so loved (still do, just never drink it...maybe ONE can a year, as a treat to myself).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:40 pm
Jaymon wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:12 pm At the movie theater, my candy of choice is a bag of twizzlers. But the theater closest to my house doesn't carry them. So usually I have a box of red vines.
Right? I mean, one is akin to a bag of broken glass, while the other is more like a cup of partially frozen, fetid waste water.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:07 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:46 pm
Dammit, guys.

I understood that. But I felt you needed to understand why "I don't have an opinion on the actual poll". i.e. I'm not voting in your poll. I suppose all us licorice fans could have stayed out of the discussion. But I wouldn't want you to wonder why people weren't responding. Well... some people.

To put it another way, you don't have to change your poll. But you probably will get more responses to it if there is an option for those that don't prefer either of those.
As you've seen in this thread, there are people who like both licorice and the "very much not-licorice" candies in the poll. So THOSE people could vote here... a third, missing, completely unrelated option be damned. :D

Just admit that you're option 3, man, no one is judging! (much).
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:48 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:40 pm
Right? I mean, one is akin to a bag of broken glass, while the other is more like a cup of partially frozen, fetid waste water.
"mmmm...broken glass.....LRLGRHRH"
Homer
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:44 pm
Not close. To put it another way, unless you have non-functioning taste receptors, have you ever had ANYthing that is sugar-free, that tastes like the original? I've tried them all, including the lastest, nasty option (monkfruit) and they all, to me, have a horrible, sacchariny aftertaste.
I've grown accustomed to a lot of diet tastes out of necessity.
I really like the taste of all the Atkins brand stuff I've tried.
I've found that if the product uses Splenda it tastes way better for me.
I went from bottles of soda to diet soda to mostly Propel water now.
Thanks to Covid. My taste has been shot anywsy for over 2 years.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Thanks!
Finally got a chance to taste these and...i like them!
Not quite as sweet as the originals but I can only just barely taste the difference.
They seem to be made a bit different. They are thinner and shorter then the originals.
Still need to watch how many i eat because there is still some carbs in them, but at least i can eat a few with less guilt.
I'm still keeping my originals on hand for those times when my sugar gets too low, but these are a fine alternative for regular eating for me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Redvines are too sweet. I'll have to look up the sugar-free Twizzlers, although the sugar alcohols used in sugar-free candies are usually quite the laxative.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Punisher wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:55 pm
Thanks!
Finally got a chance to taste these and...i like them!
Not quite as sweet as the originals but I can only just barely taste the difference.
They seem to be made a bit different. They are thinner and shorter then the originals.
Still need to watch how many i eat because there is still some carbs in them, but at least i can eat a few with less guilt.
I'm still keeping my originals on hand for those times when my sugar gets too low, but these are a fine alternative for regular eating for me.
Sweet! (see what I did there?)
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ethan and I enjoying some red vines as we wait for Wonka to startImage

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought this debate had ended weeks ago after everyone who said they enjoyed this type of “candy” admitted they were just lying as part of an elaborate prank? Now you people are dragging innocents like Ethan into this thing?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I actually don't think I've had Red Vines. In doing a search, it seems like they originate in California? I'm assuming then the Twizzlers plant in Hershey, PA intercepts any of those trucks headed to NJ and destroys them without prejudice.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:07 pm I actually don't think I've had Red Vines. In doing a search, it seems like they originate in California? I'm assuming then the Twizzlers plant in Hershey, PA intercepts any of those trucks headed to NJ and destroys them without prejudice.
I don't think I've ever seen them. I thought they were those nasty red shoestring things that tried to pass as candy. Which, for some reason, still exists.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:02 am
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:07 pm I actually don't think I've had Red Vines. In doing a search, it seems like they originate in California? I'm assuming then the Twizzlers plant in Hershey, PA intercepts any of those trucks headed to NJ and destroys them without prejudice.
I don't think I've ever seen them. I thought they were those nasty red shoestring things that tried to pass as candy. Which, for some reason, still exists.
Yeah, those things are just annoying. How about red ropes? I used to consume about one a day from the high school concession store-

https://www.brucescandy.com/products/re ... uper-ropes