Well travelled?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Well travelled?

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:21 pm Being in unique locations on Earth geographically or historically.
Laying my own eyes on antiquity.
Those are big for me.

I've got a few artifacts that are thousands of years old. It's fascinating to hold one, studying the marks and seeing the decisions that were made in creating it, knowing that it was made by an everyday human so long ago. It gives the items a certain... something. Being able to stand in a castle that my ancestors controlled hundreds of years ago, or on the docks (or their approximate location) from which my more recent ancestors left for America some 400 years ago, or standing in Roman ruins, knowing the history, or in a Greek temple, knowing the mythology and beliefs behind it would bring that same kind of experience.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have been to some 40 some odd states, three different continents and around 11 countries. This is where I choose to die.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
raydude

Post by raydude »

I took an around-the-world trip with my family in the summer of 2018. We didn't initially plan on doing so. My mother-in-law wanted her two daughters (my wife and my sister-in-law) and their families to go with her to the Philippines and get a special blessing from one of the Buddhist temples there. As we were planning it I said "you know, we can't go to the Philippines and not stop in Hawaii" as the majority of my relatives still live there. Then she said "Maybe we should visit my cousin in Singapore as well?" to which I agreed. And then we thought - why go west when we can go east? Fly to Singapore first, spend a few days there, then the Philippines to be with my wife's side of the family, and then Hawaii to visit my side, then fly home.

So we did. Virgin Atlantic to London (layover), changed to SIngapore Air to go to Singapore. 5 nights there then flew Philippine Airlines to Cebu. 5 nights in Cebu then flew to Tokyo (layover), changed to United to fly to Hawaii. 5 nights in Hawaii then flew United back home to Virginia.

Most awesome trip ever. It made me realize that coach on international flights is so much better than coach on domestic flights. And Singapore was a blast. We all loved it, and we got to point out the sights we saw when Crazy Rich Asians came out.

But to answer the question, I have visited:
Hawaii, California, Connecticut, New York, Virginia, Florida, South Carolina, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Vermont, and Texas.

Internationally: Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong (before it went back to China), and Belgium
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

You can see what part of the country I avoid. :D

I was born in Ohio and spent most of my life in Missouri and Oregon. I've visited Canada, Mexico and Italy.

I'd like to visit New England and the U.K.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exodor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:06 pm Image

You can see what part of the country I avoid. :D
Indiana. Good choice.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Is anyone planning on doing any Eclipse travel? If so, would anyone be interested in a thread about it?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:07 pm a possible Northern California trip this summer
In the unlikely event that you come to Sacramento, I'll be happy to buy you a beer!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 pm Is anyone planning on doing any Eclipse travel? If so, would anyone be interested in a thread about it?
I am - I am meeting up with friends in Oklahoma to see totality. I am still trying to figure out the best methods for photographing it.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

As to the original topic, I've been to 31 states, most of the Caribbean islands, Canada, Mexico, Iceland, the Faroe Islands, Norway, England, Scotland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, the USSR, Portugal and the Canary Islands. Much of my disposable income has gone to travel.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I don't think I've ever posted about this, but back in 2018 I sold my house then traveled round the world for a couple of years. Mostly SE Asia, but also random spots in Europe and I also somehow ended up in Darwin, Australia for a month. Technically, I think I've been around the world 2.5 times (and, yes, it's definitely round). Then covid hit and . . . record scratch noise.

Anyhow, I'm now typing this from Hua Hin, Thailand and in a few month I'll be eligble for a "retirement" visa. Thinking about trying out Bangkok as a home base for year or so. Next stop, though, is Nha Trang, Vietnam after my current Thai visa runs out.

Lots of pictures here: https://www.instagram.com/poetic.voyage/
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So you like hot spicy food?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:26 am Lots of pictures here: https://www.instagram.com/poetic.voyage/
Amazing pictures.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:26 am I don't think I've ever posted about this, but back in 2018 I sold my house then traveled round the world for a couple of years. Mostly SE Asia, but also random spots in Europe and I also somehow ended up in Darwin, Australia for a month. Technically, I think I've been around the world 2.5 times (and, yes, it's definitely round).
Now *that’s* well-traveled.

As opposed to the Chevy Chase head bob at the Grand Canyon from ‘Vacation’ (which is how my brother in law ‘travels’…he’s only interested in getting passport stamps apparently, and being able to say he’s been somewhere, even if he’s only spent a day or less in the location.).
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've been to a decent amount of states (maybe 25-30) and to Canada, Mexico, France, and Germany (plus the airport in Amsterdam!). A friend from law school, however, has been to every continent, which impresses me. The big get is Antarctica, obviously. She was one of the last lawyers standing at the old Arthur Anderson as they wound down following Enron, and they kept paying her retention bonuses to stay on to handle the litigation. By the time she was done she had collected quite the nest egg, so she signed on for a tour working in the cafeteria at one of the stations in Antarctica.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Brian

Post by Brian »

A friend of mine has run marathons at both the North and South poles.

He's got the run a marathon on every continent medallion.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:49 am I've been to a decent amount of states (maybe 25-30) and to Canada, Mexico, France, and Germany (plus the airport in Amsterdam!). A friend from law school, however, has been to every continent, which impresses me. The big get is Antarctica, obviously. She was one of the last lawyers standing at the old Arthur Anderson as they wound down following Enron, and they kept paying her retention bonuses to stay on to handle the litigation. By the time she was done she had collected quite the nest egg, so she signed on for a tour working in the cafeteria at one of the stations in Antarctica.
Anyone that goes to Antarctica and then doesn't visit the rest ... I honestly doubt that person exists.

I mean the list of people that have been to Antarctica must be nearly the same list of people that have been to every continent.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of Antarctica, I have two cousins who recently completed a marathon there and finished pretty high in the list. Just the idea of competing in those temperatures is enough to impress me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:26 am I don't think I've ever posted about this, but back in 2018 I sold my house then traveled round the world for a couple of years. Mostly SE Asia, but also random spots in Europe and I also somehow ended up in Darwin, Australia for a month. Technically, I think I've been around the world 2.5 times (and, yes, it's definitely round). Then covid hit and . . . record scratch noise.

Anyhow, I'm now typing this from Hua Hin, Thailand and in a few month I'll be eligble for a "retirement" visa. Thinking about trying out Bangkok as a home base for year or so. Next stop, though, is Nha Trang, Vietnam after my current Thai visa runs out.

Da Lat in Vietnam looks swell.

Somewhere out on the new purple line in BKK would be ultra affordable in some brand new buildings. Would be thin on expats and English language probably? :think: Could get everywhere by train easily I'd think.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:18 pm Anyone that goes to Antarctica and then doesn't visit the rest ... I honestly doubt that person exists.

I mean the list of people that have been to Antarctica must be nearly the same list of people that have been to every continent.
I have a friend who might fit the bill. She went to Antarctica on a science teacher internship. She's well traveled in the Americas and Europe but I don't think she ever made it to Africa and I'm not sure about Asia.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:26 am I don't think I've ever posted about this, but back in 2018 I sold my house then traveled round the world for a couple of years. Mostly SE Asia, but also random spots in Europe and I also somehow ended up in Darwin, Australia for a month. Technically, I think I've been around the world 2.5 times (and, yes, it's definitely round). Then covid hit and . . . record scratch noise.

Sounds great. For years I thought I'd do such a trip but it's clear that my wife doesn't harbor the same dream even if she likes traveling.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:18 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:49 am I've been to a decent amount of states (maybe 25-30) and to Canada, Mexico, France, and Germany (plus the airport in Amsterdam!). A friend from law school, however, has been to every continent, which impresses me. The big get is Antarctica, obviously. She was one of the last lawyers standing at the old Arthur Anderson as they wound down following Enron, and they kept paying her retention bonuses to stay on to handle the litigation. By the time she was done she had collected quite the nest egg, so she signed on for a tour working in the cafeteria at one of the stations in Antarctica.
Anyone that goes to Antarctica and then doesn't visit the rest ... I honestly doubt that person exists.

I would bet that is unlikely. There are ~4000 people during the summer and ~1000 people there during the winter months.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I will admit to the exception being people who were/are forced to work there through happenstance -and- don’t have any interest in seeing the world. And they do exist.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or those whose list of places to see has Antarctica at the top.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Fair enough.
Or people who don’t have the means or circumstances to do it but would like to.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:52 am

Da Lat in Vietnam looks swell.

Somewhere out on the new purple line in BKK would be ultra affordable in some brand new buildings. Would be thin on expats and English language probably? :think: Could get everywhere by train easily I'd think.
I've actually already started looking into intensive Thai language schools. I know that it will totally kick my butt, but I think it would be worth it long term. If nothing else, it would be fun to be able to eavesdrop a bit on what people are saying about me. :lol: I'm fortunate in that I'll have a pretty good housing budget, so I'm leaning toward the more central Phrom Phong area, but we'll see. I do like the idea of having a cheap enough condo that I don't feel guilty about leaving it for a month or two here and there to travel and/or visit the US.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Madmarcus wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:19 am

Sounds great. For years I thought I'd do such a trip but it's clear that my wife doesn't harbor the same dream even if she likes traveling.
Being single with no kids definitely helped on the logistics front for me. (Although, I do know of couples, and even families, who have done something similar). Maybe pitch a one month trip to a certain region? I didn't travel much in my pre-40s, but once I started it's been hard to stop lol.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Countries are:

Canada
Mexico
The Philippines
Jamaica
Cayman Islands
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:06 pm Being single with no kids definitely helped on the logistics front for me. (Although, I do know of couples, and even families, who have done something similar). Maybe pitch a one month trip to a certain region? I didn't travel much in my pre-40s, but once I started it's been hard to stop lol.
For years we traveled fairly often but Covid shut it down and she hasn't wanted to travel since then other than local travel. We did move to a new area so between scouting trips and trips exploring locally I can understand. On the other hand I'm getting the itch to go farther afield again. She isn't opposed to travel though so I'm fairly sure we'll head out again.

While we were taking a trip to Vietnam we ran into a family doing a slow trip spending a month in each country, homeschooling as they went. We both liked the idea but right now our aging parents would make it difficult to do that sort of trip. But two weeks at a time is probably in the cards.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:01 pm I do like the idea of having a cheap enough condo that I don't feel guilty about leaving it for a month or two here and there to travel and/or visit the US.
That's my thinking too.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:15 am
Hamlet3145 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:01 pm I do like the idea of having a cheap enough condo that I don't feel guilty about leaving it for a month or two here and there to travel and/or visit the US.
That's my thinking too.
Y'all don't have pets, do you?
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:59 am
That's my thinking too.
No even a plant! :lol:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:03 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:59 am
That's my thinking too.
No even a plant! :lol:
Ditto, not even a plant. :lol: I wonder if the idea of pet "sharing" or "rental" might be a money maker? I wouldn't mind having an occasional pet friend after having taken care of a friend's cat for a few months. My sister pet sits for her friends with large dogs.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

can confirm Copenhagen is foggy, cold, rainy and windy in January
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Kraken's point about pets is well taken. It was significantly easier before the pup. Edit: I felt I should qualify that I'm NMNK, which makes it a little easier.

I'm clocking in at 32 states.
Internationally, Canada, Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Cuba, Italy, Vietnam, and Thailand. Going to hit Bali hopefully in June.

Want to explore more of Europe, including walk the Camino de Santiago, hike in Argentina, climb Kilimanjaro and see the Serengeti (that's top of the bucket list), explore the Middle East during more peaceful times, wander through New Zealand...

... and get a job with a significantly higher salary and an extensive vacation policy. I watch with envy some of the people I met in SE Asia who work remotely who just change locales every three to six months.
Last edited by Dogstar on Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm pretty much the entire east coast and California. We just never had the time or money to go anywhere else since my daughter was born. I would like to go see one of the bigger state parks, but we kind of find a spot we like and just go over and over. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Holman

Post by Holman »

I have a colleague who has done paleontology in both Arctics.

In the North you carry a rifle on the off-chance of Polar Bears. In the South you don't because it's illegal to shoot penguins and because shoggoths are bulletproof.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bulletproof or just bulletindifferent?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:03 pm Bulletproof or just bulletindifferent?
Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:26 am
in about two weeks, will add
Denmark
Sweden
Germany
Czech Republic
and added. Czechia is a most pleasant surprise; really want to return here
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:26 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:26 am
in about two weeks, will add
Denmark
Sweden
Germany
Czech Republic
and added. Czechia is a most pleasant surprise; really want to return here
Nice trip, I wouldn't mind "checking" out any of those stops. :dance: Only managed to spend a few days in Germany once way back when.