244 Months....7428 days and one boat

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: 244 Months....7428 days and one boat

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:02 pm I'm high enough in the company that they are making me send a headshot to do an announcement. That's well uncomfortable. :lol:
Can you send in one with some dogs by your side, like that astronaut did?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:42 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:02 pm I'm high enough in the company that they are making me send a headshot to do an announcement. That's well uncomfortable. :lol:
Ya and then there will be a new thread about how I have no job. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
raydude

Post by raydude »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:48 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:42 pm
Ya and then there will be a new thread about how I have no job. :lol:
Dude, you should totally take a picture of yourself in a boat. Caption it with "Remember this? They will never make me do this where I'm going!"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

A little Skipper hat would be a nice touch. :lol:

Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you don't "Better Call Saul" that photo, you're a chump!

Enlarge Image
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Tempting, but so far I'm going out on a high note. When the rest of the company figures out exactly where I went that likely will change. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So I'm guessing "Superhero landing" pose is also out?

Enlarge Image
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Freaking sales guy was asking for changes to the demo system until I cut him off. Like dude enough already lol. :lol:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

It's only uncomfortable if you use your avatar from OO. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well they sent me the detailed benefits and the hc is certainly a bit worse, but the other benefits more than make up for it. At my current job it's a classic plan with no deductible. This place is high deductible with a hsa. Which I know nothing about. I guess that's pretty normal now? Still wayyyy ahead as my bonus would cover the deductible and we rarely have big expenses for hc.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Fardaza wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:27 pm
It's only uncomfortable if you use your avatar from OO. :D
Kindly jog my memory. My OO avatar was a scantily clad Venusian woman but I don't remember Octavious's.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Falling Down (1993) "An ordinary man frustrated with the various flaws he sees in society begins to psychotically and violently lash out against them."
Enlarge Image
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

This.
Only close up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:35 am Well they sent me the detailed benefits and the hc is certainly a bit worse, but the other benefits more than make up for it. At my current job it's a classic plan with no deductible. This place is high deductible with a hsa. Which I know nothing about. I guess that's pretty normal now? Still wayyyy ahead as my bonus would cover the deductible and we rarely have big expenses for hc.
HSA is basically a 401K for health care. I switched to one a few years ago at work after being on a standard PPO type plan for decades. The only complaint I've heard is that it's not the best choice for someone with a lot of medical issues. But others here can speak more to the details of the plan, I imagine.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Email I sent...

As many of you know my last day is today. I know, I know it will be okay. There, there… Sniffle, sniffle… As AI is taking over the world like in the Terminator, I have decided to outsource my goodbye to ChatGPT. Enjoy!

Prompt

Goodbye email to company that I worked for 20 years, and they are totally heartbroken because I'm irreplaceable.

Dear [Company Name] Family,

As I bid farewell after two decades of shared journeys, it's with mixed emotions that I compose this letter. The time has come for me to embark on a new chapter, and while it fills me with excitement, it's also accompanied by a profound sense of nostalgia.

These past 20 years with [Company Name] have been nothing short of extraordinary. Together, we've weathered challenges, celebrated triumphs, and forged lasting bonds. It's humbling to reflect on the collective achievements we've accomplished.

Leaving a company that feels like family is undoubtedly a difficult decision, but rest assured, the indelible mark you've left on me will forever be a part of who I am. Each colleague, every project, and all the shared moments have contributed to an incredibly rich tapestry of experiences.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to each one of you. It's your unwavering support, camaraderie, and dedication that have made this journey truly exceptional. As I take this leap into the next phase of my career, please know that the memories we've created together will always hold a special place in my heart.

I believe in the continued success and growth of [Company Name], and I have full confidence in the capable hands that will carry the torch forward. Remember, the strength of this organization lies not just in individuals but in the unity of its incredible team.

While physical distances may separate us, the connections we've forged will endure. Please stay in touch, and let's continue to celebrate each other's achievements, even from afar.

Thank you, [Company Name], for two decades of shared dreams, challenges, and triumphs. Here's to the memories, the lessons, and the enduring spirit of this remarkable journey.

Wishing you all continued success and looking forward to crossing paths again.

Warmest regards,

[Your Name]

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm going to save that for future use, likely with a bit of editing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Leaving the placeholders is the best part of it. One person didn't appreciate the email. They suck. ;)

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:13 am
Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:35 am Well they sent me the detailed benefits and the hc is certainly a bit worse, but the other benefits more than make up for it. At my current job it's a classic plan with no deductible. This place is high deductible with a hsa. Which I know nothing about. I guess that's pretty normal now? Still wayyyy ahead as my bonus would cover the deductible and we rarely have big expenses for hc.
HSA is basically a 401K for health care. I switched to one a few years ago at work after being on a standard PPO type plan for decades. The only complaint I've heard is that it's not the best choice for someone with a lot of medical issues. But others here can speak more to the details of the plan, I imagine.
On the other hand, I think the HSA is very helpful if you have a lot of medical issues, as it allows you to build up a buffer of funds to pay for the deductible and then until you hit the out of pocket max. Plus, some employers will add money to your HSA if you max your contributions. If you're going to go high deductible, the HSA is a great help.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

HSA has a triple benefit: you can contribute pre-tax dollars, the growth (from the money being invested) isn't subject to capital gains tax, and when you take it out, you don't pay taxes on it either (as long as it's for a qualified medical expense).

The IRS limit for 2024 is $4150 for an individual ($8300 for family). How much of it you decide to contribute - and more importantly, spend - in any given year is up to you, since it's not an FSA where the money "expires" at the end of the year. If you make enough money right now where you can cover any medical expenses without dipping into the HSA, you can leave it as you would with any investment account (to reap the triple tax benefit later). Although this is provided the HSA money is invested in something other than a low interest money market account.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I defer to the above two posters in all matters of HSA. :wink:
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Keep your receipts and you can pull the money out at any point in the future. I've been maxing our family contribution and I've been keeping receipts for that past 3 years and plan to allow the money to grow until I retire. I can then withdraw it tax free and it won't count as income. I am not a tax professional, yada yada yada.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think you can only use it for medical bills though. Otherwise it would be taxed. But again, I'll let the more knowledgeable folks step in on this.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya we rarely need to go to the doctor so it sounds like this may be another great place to save up some money. From what I read they contribute 1,500 a year, but I'm not sure of that until HR explains it to me. Either way it sounds like it's not as bad as I thought when I 1st looked at it. Just totally different than the old school plan we had.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

And it's over. I feel very strange and probably will for a while. Can't wait to start next week.

Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I loved the letter.

Grats on the end, and a new beginning.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Did ChatGPT really write that letter? Needed to get some kind of "ship" or "water" reference in there. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
disarm

Post by disarm »

stessier wrote:Keep your receipts and you can pull the money out at any point in the future. I've been maxing our family contribution and I've been keeping receipts for that past 3 years and plan to allow the money to grow until I retire. I can then withdraw it tax free and it won't count as income. I am not a tax professional, yada yada yada.
hepcat wrote:I think you can only use it for medical bills though. Otherwise it would be taxed. But again, I'll let the more knowledgeable folks step in on this.
What Stessier was saying is a great 'trick' for utilizing funds in your HSA at a later time for anything you want without paying taxes.

As mentioned previously, HSA funds are triple tax advantaged as long as you use them to pay qualifying medical expenses. The rules don't, however, say you have to use the money for those expenses at the actual time you pay the medical bill.

What does this mean?

If you can afford to pay your medical expenses without dipping into your HSA, you can deposit money there and let it grow for later use. In fact, many HSA programs have options to invest your funds beyond simple interest to grow them substantially over time. Any time you have a qualifying medical expense, pay it with money outside your HSA, but keep all the receipts for those expenses. As long as you have proof of previously paid medical expenses, you can withdraw money from your HSA at any time (potentially years down the road), at a time when your financial situation may be much different (like retirement), and use it for whatever you want without paying taxes.

Imagine putting the current $8500 maximum in your HSA every year for 20 years while you're employed, and investing that money in a way that it grows by 6% annually. After 20 years, you'll have almost $360k. At the same time, you have saved the receipts for every significant medical expense paid with money from outside your HSA during that same period. As long as you have receipts to show that you paid your medical bills with post-tax dollars in the past, you can now pull money out of your HSA (up to the total of all your receipts) during retirement and use it for any expense (medical or otherwise) completely tax free...no income tax when it went in, no tax on your investment gains, and no income tax when you withdraw. Used correctly, your HSA can be a really great way to supplement your tax free income during retirement.

That's why the smart thing to do is think of your HSA as a tax-free investment vehicle for the future instead of a way to pay medical expenses now. If you can afford it, max out your HSA contribution every year and don't take any distributions to pay medical expenses during your earning years. Invest those funds within the HSA to grow them until you retire. By the time you reach retirement, you'll have a substantial sum of money that you can either use to pay medical expenses that you're more likely to have at that time, or withdraw it tax free (thanks to saved medical receipts from earlier life) to supplement your retirement income.

Moral of the story? Don't use an HSA to pay medical bills today; use it to save for the future.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sadly, I made the switch to HSA only a few years ago, and I don’t have more than 5 or 6 years to go before retirement. :(
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

em2nought wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:16 pm Did ChatGPT really write that letter? Needed to get some kind of "ship" or "water" reference in there. :lol:
Yup I just copy and pasted it in. :lol:

stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:05 am Sadly, I made the switch to HSA only a few years ago, and I don’t have more than 5 or 6 years to go before retirement. :(
You can still contribute the max and allow it to grow for as long as you want. You don't have to pull it out the first day of retirement and you don't only have to use it for past expenses - you can let it grow until you're in your 80s and use it then for qualified expenses you incur. I'm sure the "Bea Arthur" will still be a covered medical expense at that point and likely won't be cheap.

You might say it isn't a lot of money, why bother - but think about how hard it is to get money to grow and then look at missing out on the tax break you get by saving, the tax free compound growth, and the tax free distribution. Then the question becomes how can you not use it?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks Stess! I am maxing it, so that’s a done deal. I was just discouraged i didn’t make the switch earlier. I am happy to report I maxed my 401k for about 25 years though and it’s quite healthy. So I did at least one thing right. :D

What I need to do is talk to a money manager about my retirement though. That’s something I should get on soon.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This is cool. I will definitely toss as much as I can into it. I have to look at how their profit sharing works. It has to be better than my old companies 401k where they only match .10 to a dollar.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My (admittedly small) company has never offered 401k matching. :(
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If you were maxing it for 25 years I'm sure you are more than fine.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But I want to be able to afford the flying cars that will be all the rage when I retire in a few years!
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You don’t care about flying cars. You care about board games, specifically dungeon crawlers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

And the school called this morning to say my daughter is valedictorian. I'm having a shit week.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Time to share that shit. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Now we just need to find my wife a new job. But we have time.