Bands you like, but hate their biggest song

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: Bands you like, but hate their biggest song

Post by Jaymann »

I hate Don't Eat the Yellow Snow but love Frank Zappa.

Fun fact: I saw him in concert where he opened for the Beach Boys.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:41 pm The main problem with classic rock radio is the playing of the same songs over and over again. Classic rock radio has ruined so many songs for me.
This applies to classic any genre. I primarily like country music (80's/90's). I have Sirius XM access on my PC, listen to Prime Country (80s/90s) and their related stations. But they play mostly all the same songs. Got to the point where my favorite thing is Prime 30 (the top 30 songs this week in 19xx (80-99). Then you get to hear a lot of other songs that were big enough to make top 30, but most of them aren't played on prime (or not much). Weekly show with a new year every week and repeated several times (plus you can go play the older shows).

Helps greatly in getting variety.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I spend time with a guy who grew up on country music but really gets bored with modern country music. He still listens to it but would much prefer a country station that played more classic country.

I am sure a lot of the classic versus more modern music (of any genre) is how many options you actually have.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I am a Scorpions fan. But I really don't like "Wind of Change"

Oh ugh, now I have it stuck in my head.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:41 pm The main problem with classic rock radio is the playing of the same songs over and over again. Classic rock radio has ruined so many songs for me.
The same thing could also be said of most radio as well. The real problem is that curated playlists have disappeared for the most part, and radio has gone to network oriented playlists across the board, making it feel as though radio in general has fallen into a rut. There's a lack of personality at play, and we all suffer for it.

Thank goodness for the networks such as the cbc that still do have actual shows and curated playlists though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Out of all the places to find genre stations, YouTube was not on my list.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:09 pm I am a Scorpions fan. But I really don't like "Wind of Change"

Here's a whole podcast for you, investigating the long-time rumor that the CIA wrote "Winds of Change" and arranged the Scorpions' trip to Russia.

It's actually very interesting! And it's legit reporting, too, not some conspiracy theory.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

not a song i hate (but rather overplayed) - The Church put out ~25 albums over 40 years (and they're a rare band where the quality control has always been at least 'good', usually 'very good' to 'excellent' and sometimes 'stellar' over all those albums - not a bad one in the discography) and it seems like "80s/New Wave/College Retro" radio only have it in them to play "Under the Milky Way", ever (and not _any_ of the other ~two dozen great singles they've released)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:27 pm
Jaymon wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:09 pm I am a Scorpions fan. But I really don't like "Wind of Change"

Here's a whole podcast for you, investigating the long-time rumor that the CIA wrote "Winds of Change" and arranged the Scorpions' trip to Russia.

It's actually very interesting! And it's legit reporting, too, not some conspiracy theory.
Can we work Taylor Swift into the conspiracy somehow?
He won. Period.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

hitbyambulance wrote:not a song i hate (but rather overplayed) - The Church put out ~25 albums over 40 years (and they're a rare band where the quality control has always been at least 'good', usually 'very good' to 'excellent' and sometimes 'stellar' over all those albums - not a bad one in the discography) and it seems like "80s/New Wave/College Retro" radio only have it in them to play "Under the Milky Way", ever (and not _any_ of the other ~two dozen great singles they've released)
I would occasionally hear “Reptile” back in the day. The Church are awesome and there are usually at least a couple of songs per new album that are as good as anything from their past.

Also I thought of another band. I have always loved The Cars. They’re one of my all time favorites and particularly important in my formative years as a budding music lover. To me “Drive” is my least favorite song of theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ok and i don't hate a-ha "Take On Me", but they have a _lot_ of other good songs...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Berlin - their biggest song was/is Take my Breath Away from Top Gun, but dear lord was it out of character, and pretty much destroyed one of my favorite bands of the time. I remember when I first heard The Metro, and I was so completely blown away by it, and loved (still love) their first 2 albums.

Then Giorgio Morodor created a pop masterpiece and wrecked everything good about the band, and thus, I hate it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I can't even remember this song, and I was a huge fan of their monster days of Blackout and Rock you like a Hurricane. Not sure how you can say it's their biggest song...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:15 pm Okay, my answer is up thread. Styx’s Mr. Roboto is the answer. I have seen Styx many times in concert, since the 70’s, and I applaud the band getting rid of the lead singer if that’s the direction he wanted to take the music.
Domo Arigato ;)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:26 pm

I can't even remember this song, and I was a huge fan of their monster days of Blackout and Rock you like a Hurricane. Not sure how you can say it's their biggest song...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:41 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:26 pm

Apparently I was wrong, it was their biggest song. By a LOT

And yeah, just like Take my breath away, it's so completely out of character and tied to the moment and not the music that it doesn't even feel like a Scorpions song.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've never heard that in my life.

Mind you, I'm not a Scorpions fan. And I was only born in '84. But Rock You Like A Hurricane and No One Like You were all over classic rock radio when I was getting into music in the mid-to-late 90s, and I was especially partial to the latter. If Winds Of Change ever came on the radio I evidently wasn't listening. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It was a monster hit for them. It's a good song, but I definitely liked some of their other songs better, like Walking on the Edge and Still Loving You.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a pretty song. Not a hard song or a rock song. Rock You Like a Hurricane was overplayed and I was never really a fan of it either.

I prefer Big City Nights and Bad Boys Running Wild. More rock.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:25 pm Berlin - their biggest song was/is Take my Breath Away from Top Gun, but dear lord was it out of character, and pretty much destroyed one of my favorite bands of the time. I remember when I first heard The Metro, and I was so completely blown away by it, and loved (still love) their first 2 albums.

Then Giorgio Morodor created a pop masterpiece and wrecked everything good about the band, and thus, I hate it.
and it wasn't even Berlin, just Terri Nunn with Moroder and studio musicians and released under the band name. note they did reunite and have actually released a new album a while back.

(speaking of Nunn side projects, i still like her collaboration with Andrew Eldtrich on this one:
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Wind of Change was not a big hit in America. but holy cheeseballs batman it was some sort of monster in in Europe.

I lived in Germany from around 98 to 00 or so. There was a tiny corner pub right near my apartment. they played this song every single night, sometimes multiple times. While it was outside of their usual. Scorpions is no stranger to ballads. This one just happened capture the mood of a continent .

And completely off topic. In Trance is my favorite Scorpions song.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:08 pm Wind of Change was not a big hit in America. but holy cheeseballs batman it was some sort of monster in in Europe.

I lived in Germany from around 98 to 00 or so. There was a tiny corner pub right near my apartment. they played this song every single night, sometimes multiple times. While it was outside of their usual. Scorpions is no stranger to ballads. This one just happened capture the mood of a continent .

And completely off topic. In Trance is my favorite Scorpions song.
It did hit #4 in the US charts (#1 in many other countries) per the wikipedia entry I posted above - which is FAR above any other song of theirs (rock you like a Hurricane apparently topped out at #25).

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:25 pm Berlin - their biggest song was/is Take my Breath Away from Top Gun, but dear lord was it out of character, and pretty much destroyed one of my favorite bands of the time.
I touched on that phenomenon in my earlier post, where the single often is very much contradictory in style. Done on purpose for them to stand out? Either way, it often ends up defining a band.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Napalm Death- You Suffer

It just drags on too long.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:01 pm Napalm Death- You Suffer

It just drags on too long.
:lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Couldn't think of any earlier, but I've got one now...

I loved the Police. "Every Breath You Take" wouldn't make my top 10 (or 20?) for the band.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Baroquen wrote:I loved the Police. "Every Breath You Take" wouldn't make my top 10 (or 20?) for the band.
A bit off-topic, but mentioning that song reminded me of an incident recently where I bought the "Dare" album from The Human League in an online vinyl sale and one of the chat participants kind of criticized me for buying it because they said a couple of their hits were "problematic" lyrically. I think they were referring to "Don't You Want Me" and "I'm Only Human" specifically.

And I'm thinking, "Every Breath You Take" is a straight-up stalker song, and nobody's boycotting The Police! Nirvana's "Polly" is straight up about a guy keeping a girl prisoner, and Beck's "Girl" is explicitly about a guy tracking a woman down to kill her. The Human League are practically saints by comparison. :lol:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Baroquen wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:03 pm Couldn't think of any earlier, but I've got one now...

I loved the Police. "Every Breath You Take" wouldn't make my top 10 (or 20?) for the band.
Love has never been more poetically expressed than with "Can't you see, you belong to me?"

:lol: :D
Brian

Post by Brian »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:55 am
Baroquen wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:03 pm Couldn't think of any earlier, but I've got one now...

Love has never been more poetically expressed than with "Can't you see, you belong to me?"

:lol: :D
How my pool hall aches!
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

disarm wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:15 pm The Offspring - Pretty Fly for a White Guy
Weezer - Beverly Hills
These are two of mine as well.

I like Red Hot Chili Peppers. Don't love them by any means. I really like Snow. I hate Give it Away.
Beastie Boys - I don't need to hear Fight for your Right again...ever.
Def Leopard - Honorable Mention: Pour Some Sugar On Me but the real winner here is Let's Get Rocked. Fucking hate that song.
Motley Crue: Girls, Girls, Girls and Kickstart My Heart. Actually, pretty much anything after Shout at the Devil. Okay, anything after Live Wire.
Michael Jackson - it's a stretch but We Are the World. So tired of that song even now.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni