NFL 2024 Offseason + Draft

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: NFL 2024 Offseason + Draft

Post by LordMortis »

Penny Pinching seems like the wrong description. How many teams don't spend their entire salary cap. Maximizing your budget use is more like it. And yeah, I know it well. I remember the Lions were the last of the big hits for first round picks before the CBA changed the way rookie contracts work.
$64,502,000
2010-2014 Rookie Ndamukong Suh signed a 5 year , $64,502,000 contract with the Detroit Lions, including $23,250,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,900,400.
Completely destroyed their budget.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cba/
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:13 pm I wonder how good a quarterback drafted by the Bears would need to be for Jeff V to be excited about him.
Let's see....given their track record, they should always trade their draft picks for a proven commodity, not something they need to develop. Do you know who is the team's statistically best QB in the history of the franchise? Jay Cutler, who they traded several #1 picks to get but still couldn't resist putting him into an unstable environment. The best QB they developed in my lifetime was Jim McMahon, and he had trouble staying on the field and was fortunate enough to be surrounded by the best team ever for one glorious season.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jay Cutler had some stats but he was an empty shell of a QB. Total junk. Miserable to watch. Impossible to root for. Zero results.
Jim McMahon was fun, but he had a glass shoulder.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:30 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:13 pm I wonder how good a quarterback drafted by the Bears would need to be for Jeff V to be excited about him.
Let's see....given their track record, they should always trade their draft picks for a proven commodity, not something they need to develop. Do you know who is the team's statistically best QB in the history of the franchise? Jay Cutler, who they traded several #1 picks to get but still couldn't resist putting him into an unstable environment. The best QB they developed in my lifetime was Jim McMahon, and he had trouble staying on the field and was fortunate enough to be surrounded by the best team ever for one glorious season.
They also had a few more good seasons, ending in NFC Championship losses.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:56 pm They also had a few more good seasons, ending in NFC Championship losses.
That team really should have been a dynasty. With a class A QB (or a McMahon who could stay healthy) who knows what they might have done. After the 1986 loss to Washington, they lost Buddy Ryan and Wilbur Marshall IIRC, that turned out to be the end of their defensive dominance and, well, Walter Payton was already past his peak in 1985.

I'm glad when given a similar opportunity with Michael Jordan, the Bulls did pull off a major dynasty. New England proved that a great QB can pull it off in the NFL (and SF before him with Walsh and Montana)-- no other team was ever really dominant more than one season on the basis of their defensive prowess alone.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:56 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:56 pm They also had a few more good seasons, ending in NFC Championship losses.
That team really should have been a dynasty. With a class A QB (or a McMahon who could stay healthy) who knows what they might have done. After the 1986 loss to Washington, they lost Buddy Ryan and Wilbur Marshall IIRC, that turned out to be the end of their defensive dominance and, well, Walter Payton was already past his peak in 1985.

I'm glad when given a similar opportunity with Michael Jordan, the Bulls did pull off a major dynasty. New England proved that a great QB can pull it off in the NFL (and SF before him with Walsh and Montana)-- no other team was ever really dominant more than one season on the basis of their defensive prowess alone.
eh, it was hard to be a dynasty in the NFC then with the Niners and Giants also pushing dynasty status (and some pretty good Washington Teams). I do think you're ignoring the '87 squad which had home field in the NFC Championship.

this would apply ;)

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Michael Irvin out at NFL Network as ‘NFL Total Access’ shuts down: Sources
Michael Irvin is out at NFL Network, while one of the network’s original signature shows — “NFL Total Access” — is done after more than two decades on the air, sources briefed on the moves told The Athletic on Friday.

This is all part of the continuing layoffs and cutbacks at NFL Network, which have been ongoing for months.

Irvin, 58, has been on rocky ground with the network for a while. In 2023, he was sent home from the Super Bowl in Arizona after an alleged lewd incident at a Marriott Hotel. After being suspended until September of that year, he returned to the network at the beginning of the regular season. Irvin still appears regularly on FS1’s “Undisputed.”

NFL Network vice president of communications, Alex Riethmiller, confirmed the Irvin decision and referred The Athletic to the network’s statement last month when The Athletic reported that Andrew Siciliano, Melissa Stark, James Palmer and Will Selva were let go.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:20 pm eh, it was hard to be a dynasty in the NFC then with the Niners and Giants also pushing dynasty status (and some pretty good Washington Teams). I do think you're ignoring the '87 squad which had home field in the NFC Championship.
And they did not win, and hurt bigly.

I had gone to many games in '83 and '84 (had a friend whose family was a long time season ticket holder) and going into '85, the vibe was the team would be dominant. Then in the first game vs. TB, they fell behind by 17 by half time. It had been something like 30 years since the Bears overcame such a deficient, but we weren't even worried. The Bears won that game handily. When you know you have the goods, the outcome is predictable. If McMahon wasn't on the sidelines for the Miami game, they might have been undefeated (although the previous week Mike Phipps gave Dallas their worst beating ever at that point).

Allow me to add a RIP to Bob Avellini. His claim to fame is being the Bears mediocre at best QB during Walter Payton's prime.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm Phil Simms, Boomer Esiason out, Matt Ryan in on CBS’ ‘The NFL Today’ pregame show: Sources
Ryan will be joined on set by host James Brown, Nate Burleson and Bill Cowher, with J.J. Watt on a part-time basis. Burleson and Cowher also had expiring contracts.
I missed this news last week. Burleson and Cowher are awesome so I'm glad they are back but Simms and Esiason have been a staple of football for me for a loooong time, it's going to be weird not having them there. Matt Ryan hasn't impressed me at all in the times I've seen him, so this seems like a downgrade.

NFL Total Access shutting down is also a shock. I never watched the show but it felt like an institution at this point.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:31 pm (although the previous week Mike Phipps gave Dallas their worst beating ever at that point).
Steve Fuller.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:46 am
Jeff V wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:31 pm (although the previous week Mike Phipps gave Dallas their worst beating ever at that point).
Steve Fuller.
Doh! You are right, Phipps was the stiff that replaced the dear departed Avellini. Must have had him on the brain.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

2024 NFL schedule release sneak peek: Here are seven things we already know about this year's slate of games
  1. Thursday night opener in Kansas City.
  2. NFL set to play in Brazil for the first time.
  3. International series will also feature games in London and Munich.
  4. Jaguars could be going back-to-back in London for the second straight season.
  5. Christmas doubleheader that will make history.
  6. Teams could be given two short-week games.
  7. Every home-and-away opponent for all 32 teams.
It's almost as if people are the problem.