The Last Starfighter 4K UHD or Blu-Ray

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

The Last Starfighter 4K UHD or Blu-Ray

Post by Daehawk »

Does anyone own this UHD or Blu-Ray version from Arrow? Im wondering how it looks compared to the original. I have a PS4 to play it on but Im thinking my 10 year old monitor is the best I have to view it on if I got it and that may not cut it so why bother.

Enlarge ImageEnlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Re: The Last Starfighter 4K UHD or Blu-Ray

Post by TheMix »

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last ... -ray/5155/

Apparently "no".
The Last Starfighter debuts on Blu-ray with a disappointing 1080p, 2.35:1-framed transfer. A mediocre-at-best presentation, The Last Starfighter appears to be the victim of rigorous digital scrubbing; plenty of fine details appear to have been washed away. The transfer lacks a sense of vibrancy and appears rather flat and drab throughout. Trees and bushes around the trailer park look like blobs of green mass with absolutely no definition to be found. There's little-to-no grain to be seen throughout, though spots and other debris do pop up from time to time over the image, and not just over the most extreme effects shots such as Xur's holographic appearance at Star League command. Detail appears appreciably higher in space than it does on Earth; the lines, ridges, and other features that make up the many alien faces, for instance, look fairly good, as do the varied alien uniforms that feature a high level of texture. It's a mixed bag to be sure, but The Last Starfighter never takes on a true film-like appearance, instead looking overly manipulated and artificial. Black levels are inconsistent at best, but flesh tones appear rather stable. In a way, the lack of absolute definition reflects the minimal graphical nature of the video game and, later in the film, the special effects, but it's still a rather disappointing visual experience.
Though I suppose if it's all you have, then you don't have a lot of choice.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can wait it out and bide my time.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i actually possess a Blu-Ray copy of this you can have. (i got it from a Little Free Library, was going to donate it back when i was done with it... whenever that would be)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A lack of film grain is considered a negative?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:17 pm A lack of film grain is considered a negative?
i think it is! it's THE reason i got into LaserDiscs - the film grain is preserved. (VHS tapes degrade and are generally just crap all around, and DVDs looked 'too cleaned up' for older films... i wasn't a fan)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive wanted laser disc since I was a kid and play Dragon's Lair. I find the size and the colors to them fascinating. And the artwork on the covers are amazing and to me why I find them very collectable. I think also they aren't that expensive to collect these days. I would just want a working player before bothering because why collect if you cant also watch. Just dust catchers at that point.

Its why I only have 2 records now. An ABBA and a Cars vinyl. I got them cause they were stupid cheap at a Goodwill and couldn't pass them up but I dont want to play them on my 1977 stereo that packed away. I want to get a new nice turntable yet cheap...and they dont come nice and cheap now days like they did at the end of their original tech time. I like the idea of a laser reading the record so as not to further scratch or damage them but not sure how that would sound. I also LOVE that upside down player I posted about. But on both fronts those things are WAY too expensive. I wouldn't pay $2000 for a record player even if I could afford that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:22 pm Ive wanted laser disc since I was a kid and play Dragon's Lair. I find the size and the colors to them fascinating. And the artwork on the covers are amazing and to me why I find them very collectable. I think also they aren't that expensive to collect these days. I would just want a working player before bothering because why collect if you cant also watch. Just dust catchers at that point.
the big problem is the reliability of the LD players - i have two broken ones right now, and there is pretty much no place to get them repaired. if some kickstarter thing came up with brand new LD players with modern internals, i would buy one.
Its why I only have 2 records now. An ABBA and a Cars vinyl. I got them cause they were stupid cheap at a Goodwill and couldn't pass them up but I dont want to play them on my 1977 stereo that packed away. I want to get a new nice turntable yet cheap...and they dont come nice and cheap now days like they did at the end of their original tech time.
almost certainly your 1977 stereo turntable would be much higher quality than a <$100 modern turntable - and likely the radio tuner is also decent quality. pull it out of storage and see if it's all still working. if it needs a new needle, those are extremely cheap. (might also need a new belt at this point, but those are also very inexpensive)
I like the idea of a laser reading the record so as not to further scratch or damage them but not sure how that would sound. I also LOVE that upside down player I posted about. But on both fronts those things are WAY too expensive. I wouldn't pay $2000 for a record player even if I could afford that.
i can _guarantee_ any wear on those records with a properly balanced tonearm and maybe a new needle - yes, with that old turntable - is going to be practically negligible within the rest of your lifetime. that is really not something to worry about... (and especially not with $0.25 thrift-store vinyl)

you've got the equipment already; make use of it while you can.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:41 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:17 pm A lack of film grain is considered a negative?
i think it is! it's THE reason i got into LaserDiscs - the film grain is preserved. (VHS tapes degrade and are generally just crap all around, and DVDs looked 'too cleaned up' for older films... i wasn't a fan)
Film grain is a weakness of physical film. What's the appeal of maintaining what is, essentially, a flaw?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The digging the digging..Ill see about it. I was so proud of that system when my dad gave it to me on my 8th birthday, I got pics in my album of it.

Its a Lloyds I think. Turntable, stereo, 8 track player. Has or had..may still have it when I look..a plastic square dome that covers the record player part.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:41 pm
Film grain is a weakness of physical film. What's the appeal of maintaining what is, essentially, a flaw?
ask the people who are really into vinyl records, lol*

personally, i like maintaining the original appearance characteristic of films of the time they were released.

* i'm absolutely not on board with the whole 'vinyl sounds better than CD' trope, but i honestly can understand this preference for albums released in the pre-CD era, for the reason i mentioned above.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:42 pm The digging the digging..Ill see about it. I was so proud of that system when my dad gave it to me on my 8th birthday, I got pics in my album of it.

Its a Lloyds I think. Turntable, stereo, 8 track player. Has or had..may still have it when I look..a plastic square dome that covers the record player part.
it'll be worth it. bonus is, if the 8 track player also still works, you can pick up 8 track cassettes from thrift stores for really cheap. those haven't really come back. (They Might Be Giants released a limited 8 track cassette version of their last album, and they had many problems getting manufacturing of these things up to par - but i did buy one, ha.)

does it look like this:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

since i'm mailing this disc out to Daehawk tomorrow, i watched it for the very first time ever. (i do remember reading about it in ENTER magazine when it was released: https://archive.org/details/EnterMagazi ... 201984%29/ )

i totally remember now someone at school telling me about the scene where the little brother oversaw the main characters making out and commenting "DIARRHEA!". there was more death in that than i would have expected from a PG movie of the time... the soundtrack was amusing, with the apparent directive given 'make it like John Williams BUT NOT TOO MUCH SO'... anyways, was more entertaining than i would have expected. i maybe would have even watched the multiple documentaries on the disc, but i haven't time for that now
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres a couple of treats.

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I love that movie.
VERY surprised they never made an arcade game to go with it or even a pc game.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Punisher wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:24 am I love that movie.
VERY surprised they never made an arcade game to go with it or even a pc game.
For some reason Atari had it planned and even announced it but never did it. Would have been Tron like awesome.