CSL

My fast food challenge!

Post by CSL »

I have devised a challenge for myself.

No fast food for at least ONE month!*

As well I will drink no more than ONE Diet Coke per day!**

Finally I will drink much more water!

*(This does not include Pizza)

**(ONLY Diet Coke, no Coke or Pepsi at ALL. The Diet Coke will also be Caffiene and Suger Free)

Wish me luck!

The challenge shall begin tommorow!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: My fast food challenge!

Post by Zaxxon »

CSL wrote:I have devised a challenge for myself.

What the heck--I'm trying to lose weight, so I'll participate as well. If you had included pizza I'd be a lost cause, but this I think I can do. Good luck!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's easier than you may think. I don't have any strict guidelines, but I've remained rougly within those boundaries for several months now. Good luck!
CSL

Re: My fast food challenge!

Post by CSL »

Zaxxon wrote:
CSL wrote:I have devised a challenge for myself.

What the heck--I'm trying to lose weight, so I'll participate as well. If you had included pizza I'd be a lost cause, but this I think I can do. Good luck!
Awesome lets try and get a few people into this. Perhaps a real challenge between forum members?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think we need to define exactly what is meant by 'fast food.' Do we mean 'unhealthy fast food' or 'all fast food?' For example, if the goal is to be healthy, Subway shouldn't be a foul. Then again, this is a slippery slope--how about 'no self-service restaurants?'
Koz

Post by Koz »

I just realized I sucked down 2 liters worth of water in my day-long class. I wasn't even thirsty, I just drink stuff out of habit.

Fastfood isn't a problem for me as I rarely eat it. But you'll have to pry my cookies and chocolate from my cold, dead hands.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

Sure, I need to lose the weight I've gained in recent months (never try and keep up with a pregnant woman when food is involved, gang). I'm in. We should all weigh in today and see if anyone loses weight over this.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I hadn't had fast food in a while and was happy about it (though I do eat a lot of pizza). I lost today though. McD's was the only thing I could get on the way back from work from having to shop at lunch. Even worse I took a large meal because they started their Monopoly/Best Buy thing and another 40 cents worth of food also saves me another buck when I go to Best Buy to buy DVDs this week. So McD's is bad enough, but 32 oz of coke vs 20 oz and lord knows how much that fri increase was is going to kill me.

So much for me being sub 200. Thats going jack me right back up again.
Jessan

Post by Jessan »

Zaxxon wrote:I think we need to define exactly what is meant by 'fast food.' Do we mean 'unhealthy fast food' or 'all fast food?' For example, if the goal is to be healthy, Subway shouldn't be a foul. Then again, this is a slippery slope--how about 'no self-service restaurants?'
Yeah, i could eat those healthy double meat BMT's every day :) Well I could if Subway's lettuce didn't always smell like ass.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Giving up caffeine (well mass amounts of it, anyway) has been a marvelous thing. I feel better all the time. I have at most 12 ounces of Coke a day, and most days I can skip that.

It's nice cuz once you break the addiction to caff, it starts to regain its potency. Now I can drink a coke to help me stay up late, instead of having to drink one just to function normally.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

So how about if I go in to a Burger King and they take a really long time to get me my food, does it still fall under the fast food banner?
Black Lives Matter
Snow

Post by Snow »

You'll find it easier than you think. I dropped fast food and normal Coke about 3 years ago. With smarter eating and no additional exercise, I lost about 30-35 pounds in 3 months (from 215 to 172). The first week or two requires some will power, but after that the "high" from the physical results far outweigh the loss. I just don't find it satisfying anymore. You're pizze footnote, however, will do you in. :)

Now, I probably eat fast food about once every 2 months. It's not because I consiously avoid it, but rather I just don't have the desire for it. Even when I'm at an airport and hungry as hell, I just don't go for it.

I'm moving back to Chicago (bohoo for cold climates again), so I suspect pizza will become a more regular part of my diet again :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yep, the pizza can be a deal breaker, especially when you tend to down a large with every weekend's round of football. :oops:

Nonetheless I'm going to try. I'm 5'10" and 172 right now; aiming to get back to my college level of 155-160.
Mitma

Post by Mitma »

zax, i challenge you to at least cut the pizza orders in half. but other than that sounds like a good challenge to me. good luck!
Carpe Diem
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Mitma wrote:zax, i challenge you to at least cut the pizza orders in half. but other than that sounds like a good challenge to me. good luck!
Deal--and I'll even step it down to medium. Half a medium per week, max. ;)
Mitma

Post by Mitma »

Zaxxon wrote:
Mitma wrote:zax, i challenge you to at least cut the pizza orders in half. but other than that sounds like a good challenge to me. good luck!
Deal--and I'll even step it down to medium. Half a medium per week, max. ;)
if by mediuam, you mean small 8)
Carpe Diem
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

5'10" and 172? I was 5'10" and 172 once. I believe it was eighth grade.

I guess I was 5'11" and 165 as a junior/senior during wrestling. Once I started wrestling, I lost about 10 pounds between football practice and wrestling. Never even had to cut weight. Now, I'm at 215.

I've recently started a new job, though. I get an hour for lunch and we get an extra 15 minutes if we work out over lunch. I've been running over lunch (used to run after work but would often not have time) and it's worked well. I do go to Subway on Tuesday, though. I also drink 2 cans of diet mountain dew every day. It's good stuff.

Good luck Zaxxon and CSL.
gorky1

Post by gorky1 »

Does ramen count as fast food?
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

I agree with YK and Snow - unless you have a serious addiction to fast food, it's really not that hard to give it up if you're motivated enough. I gave up McDonald's and Burger King about a year and a half ago, and I literally have not set foot inside either one of those chains since. Arby's is another story, though ( :oops: ), but I consider that to be 'semi-fast food' (can you feel the cognitive dissonance?), and anyway since I changed jobs I don't have that option anymore.

I'll join in with you guys in spirit - I've started working out again 3-4 times a week, and I'm trying to eat better, which for me means eating less. Lately I've had a major problem with overeating - I seem to just have a problem knowing when to stop for some reason, though I'm more of a 'big meal' person than a 'grazer', unfortunately. :?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Raven_13 wrote:Lately I've had a major problem with overeating - I seem to just have a problem knowing when to stop for some reason, though I'm more of a 'big meal' person than a 'grazer', unfortunately. :?
That's my problem, too. I'm generally not the guy who snarfs up 4 meals plus4 snacktime meals each day, but come dinner time I'll inhale a full meal at Red Lobster plus 6 or 7 cheddar rolls, salad, 4 drinks, etc. Or a whole pizza. Or 3 bowls of nachos at the local Mexican joint. If I would just eat normal-sized meals I'd probably be ok. :idea:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zax and Raven,

I am in no shape to give advice (unless pear shaped is good diet advice giving shape), but is it possible that you are not drinking enough water. We rarely have enough water in our diet and this has been going on for so long and with us drinking dehydrants as our liquids our bodies start sending mixed signals to our brains and vice versa. We are often thirsty when we think we are hungry. Try 1) increasing your water intake and 2) increasing your beverage (especially water) intake at meals.

Water also helps keep drinking the fructose juices and the calorie laden pops down.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

You would do this the week McDonalds starts its new Monopoly game. I love playing that thing.

I'm 5'7" and probably up around 170. I'd like to get back down to 150 pounds. Snacking is my biggest enemy. With this being so close to Halloween, the office is sure to fill up with treats and candy, and I need to avoid that stuff like the plague.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:Zax and Raven,

I am in no shape to give advice (unless pear shaped is good diet advice giving shape), but is it possible that you are not drinking enough water. We rarely have enough water in our diet and this has been going on for so long and with us drinking dehydrants as our liquids our bodies start sending mixed signals to our brains and vice versa. We are often thirsty when we think we are hungry. Try 1) increasing your water intake and 2) increasing your beverage (especially water) intake at meals.

Water also helps keep drinking the fructose juices and the calorie laden pops down.
Doubtful--I drink more water per day than a camel stores in its body. I have a 1-liter mug here at work, and I go through at least 2 fillings/workday. I have a glass of OJ at breakfast + milk in my cereal, then at least 2 'normal' glasses of water at night. When we eat out I usually get water, and have 3-4 glasses. Definitely good advice, though.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Doubtful--I drink more water per day than a camel stores in its body. I have a 1-liter mug here at work, and I go through at least 2 fillings/workday. I have a glass of OJ at breakfast + milk in my cereal, then at least 2 'normal' glasses of water at night. When we eat out I usually get water, and have 3-4 glasses. Definitely good advice, though.
Then I would like to go with one of the following:

Mental Illness
Missing something important from your diet
Pregnant
Tapeworm

In a more serious fashion, I know that every time I cut back on greasy foods, it seems like nothing settles my hunger. Grease really sates me for some reason. When I don't eat red meat and eggs and fried food for like two weeks the lack of feeling satisifed for eating rabbit food begins to subside. I have no idea what it is. Perhaps there is a psychology we develop in our eating habbits or perhaps our digestive systems have to adapt to the changes.
Flatlander

Post by Flatlander »

One bad habit that I cut out that has been helping me along the old weight loss road is not eating late at night or in the evening.

I had gotten to the point that I was so busy with other things in the afternoon/early evening and most of the time I wouldn't get around to having dinner til 9 or 10, and then going straight to bed.

Now I do my best to not eat dinner or snack after 6pm at the latest. It took some effort on my part to make time to do it that way, but it's working.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Now I do my best to not eat dinner or snack after 6pm at the latest. It took some effort on my part to make time to do it that way, but it's working.
Me too. I try to eat no later than 19:00, though and I still fail a lot. But I am worlds better than I used to be. I had gotten to the point where I was eating in bed waiting for it to be sleep time. My next goal will be to ritualize dinner. Have it a consistant time and follow it with a walk around the block to process the food that had just been eaten. I think that goal is a long way off though.
Sunderer

Post by Sunderer »

You guys are making this way too difficult. I can get you guys hooked up with a nice crack or meth addiction. You'll drop that weight in no time. :shock:
"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

LordMortis wrote:I am in no shape to give advice (unless pear shaped is good diet advice giving shape), but is it possible that you are not drinking enough water. We rarely have enough water in our diet and this has been going on for so long and with us drinking dehydrants as our liquids our bodies start sending mixed signals to our brains and vice versa. We are often thirsty when we think we are hungry. Try 1) increasing your water intake and 2) increasing your beverage (especially water) intake at meals.

That's probably the case with me, I'm fairly certain that I don't drink enough water per day. At work we have these water dispensers that have buttons on the front (cold/hot/super hot), but it's designed for some reason so that only a coffee cup can fit under there, and I can't see me going over there about 10x a day to fill up a little mug of water. :(
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, after day 1 of the new diet, I'm at 169.6. Yesterday I had a wholesome diet of half a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch (skim milk) and half a glass of OJ, a Michelina's lean gormet lasagna TV dinner for lunch, and a Donatos salad (italian) for dinner. Plus an ark's worth of water.

Sweet. 160, here I come!
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

I have been doing the no fast food thing for years without any problem. Hell, I was doing it back when I wasn't even on my weight loss kick. Just an update on the weight loss thing, by the way:

I posted on GG back in November that I was going to start losing weight. Since that time, I have gone from 325 pounds down to 204 with a goal weight of 195 (175 lean). Have some muscle built up now and I run 3.5 miles every other day. Just figured I would brag and maybe offer some inspiration to you fast food junkies. :)
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

www.bodyforlife.com

12 weeks. It works.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's awesome, Jason.

I'll check out the body-for-life link, as well.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

So how's it working for everyone?
Grievous Angel wrote:I'm 5'7" and probably up around 170. I'd like to get back down to 150 pounds.
:shock:

The last time I was 170 was back in college. You are about my height and currently I'm fluctuating between 195-200lbs. I try to work out 1 -3 times a week at the gym as time allows but the aboslute minimum is 1 time. Certainly it's not enough as my recent weight increase along with poor eating habits clearly demonstrate. I really should stop eating fast food when I work late and on the weekends.

In other words, I'm going to allow only two fast food visits a month. Period. Including pizza :(
Yet another shameless plug..for something
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Pizza's the only "fast food" I eat, unless you count Firehouse Subs... mmm, Firehouse... now I want a Club On A Sub :(
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I rarely eat pizza or fast food, and eat rather healthily here at home. I go through probably a gallon of water a day, and haven't had more than a coke or two a month for the past several years.

In the past three months I have managed to drop about 15 pounds. Another hundred to go, and a Bowflex in the mail.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

How about this:
Fast food no more than 4 times per year.
1 soda a month.

Its pretty easy to do!
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Sunderer wrote:You guys are making this way too difficult. I can get you guys hooked up with a nice crack or meth addiction. You'll drop that weight in no time. :shock:
You should look into the Speed/Food Pyramid as promoted by Captured! By Robots on their Fitness Tour.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:In the past three months I have managed to drop about 15 pounds. Another hundred to go, and a Bowflex in the mail.
Congratulations on the loss (don't hear that often, do you?)!

A good friend of mine swears by his Bowflex. Good luck.

My update: 169.0 this morning, after a less-than-perfect weekend. No fast food, but I did partake in a rather gluttonous Red Lobster visit. Still on track. 159 is the goal, by Christmas. Definitely easily doable if I'm a good boy.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Well, I had a Wendys junior cheese burger and a water for lunch. I just can't eat healthy when I can get my lunch for a buck.

I am hoping to consistanly be under 200 by Xmas. I am not sure how I am going to make it happen. I have too many bouts gluttony. Gaming Saturday night saw me eat over 1/2 of an 18" pizza as well as my share of chips and probably 5 12 ounce cokes. I am sure I topped out over 210, but I was back down to 204 this morning. 204 is on the bright side is my usual high morning weight now and not that long ago it was the low wieght I was hoping to see. (I was 207 of Sunday). It's crazy to see how much my weight fluctuates on a daily basis. On not sure if my bowels carry dense poo or if it water weight coming and going.
Roman

Post by Roman »

CSL - if memory serves ( I remember seeing a picture of you in your room at your computer) aren't you just a little thicker than a pencil?
Aren't you afraid that after a month you will run the risk of slipping down the drain in the shower?

Roman