Datacenter Photos

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Rip

Datacenter Photos

Post by Rip »

After much prodding, whining, bitching, and moaning here is the promised teaser photos.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Major Coolness. I will have to look at these once I get in front of my 1200x1600 monitor at home. But not everyone has a monitor with those specs, you might want to go for 800x600 fwiw.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Odin

Post by Odin »

D-Link in a datacenter? That's unpossible!
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

What's the thing in the top right of the first picture? I'm guessing a fiber switch.

Compaq SuXX0Rz, in case you didn't know. I imagine those machines are at EOL by now, though.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

So where is OO in these pictures? :D
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I just spent the last two days rebuilding a Compaq Proliant with WinServer 2003.

I freaking hate Compaq. :x
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Biyobi wrote:So where is OO in these pictures? :D
You didn't notice all the multicolored tentacles?
(HBZ)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nice rack.
Rip

Post by Rip »

The D-Links provide a very usable low cost per port for non-critical Item. I also have a few Allied Telesyn switches for this reason that work just fine.

I find the Compaqs very good for my needs. These unit cost over $20K not that long ago. A lot of the data infrastructure in the world is done on the Proliant line. A lot of people badmouth them because they don't really need all the manageability that I do. I can run diagnostics on the newer boxes when they are not even running. Out of band management rocks and is accessible via web interface to me across a VPN network.

OO is hosted on the upper of the 2 older Proliant servers. The 6500, the one below it is a 3000 and is used to collect logs, statistics, and some side duties like hosting backups and secondary DNS. The System above them is a Dell Poweredge server similar in processing power to the Proliant 6500. Both having 4 XEON 550Mhz processors and a couple GB of ECC SDRAM. The poweredge lacks the RAID ability. I use it to run What's Up Gold for network monitoring of me and my networking customers in the area. It will also hopefully be the server for my new DNA passwork cracking system. Handing out jobs to the 100 wkstns that will use their idle time to crack passwords for me. If it can't handle it then I will be adding another server for that.

The newer HP Proliants are use for purposes that will remain undisclosed for now. Directly above them is the PIX 515 firewall and below them the Cisco 3550 that is my core switch.

Of course there are a number of other systems and switches not to mention numerous connected remote networks. Including my little NOC down the road at my house. For the most part I could do 90% of my work without ever leaving the house. Maybe if I get enough minions that will be my future. I could even get rid of my car and cell phone. :ninja:

The 6500 has a much newer version of the RAID card because when we were testing it in hopes of moving gonegold.com to it we found the file transfer rates didn't give us the expansion ability we wanted.

Oh almost forgot. That is a fiber patch panel in the top right of the first picture, and the backup autoloader between it and the D-Links
DD

Post by DD »

I could show you pictures of my data center, but then I'd have to kill you (working for the US Army does that sort of thing...)
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

DD wrote:I could show you pictures of my data center, but then I'd have to kill you (working for the US Army does that sort of thing...)
I could tell you how parts of SIPRnet works, but then I'd have to kill myself, but only after I kill everyone reading this message board.

Knowing things sucks. :(
There is no hug button. Sad!
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

DD wrote:I could show you pictures of my data center, but then I'd have to kill you (working for the US Army does that sort of thing...)
Same here. Same here...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So are these servers and such how you make a living or extra money or is it more or less a hobby? :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rip

Post by Rip »

dbt1949 wrote:So are these servers and such how you make a living or extra money or is it more or less a hobby? :wink:
They contribute to my living. The datacenter is provided to me by an local oil company as partial compensation for providing them priority IT support. I also have an office and other areas not shown. They pay the bills other than the internet pipe that I pay directly.

This allows me to provide network monitoring and remote support to my network consulting customers, we also do help desk work and even some residential work. The hosting arm of the business doesn't create a profit but I hope that it will eventually cover the costs associated with it and maybe even pay for my internet pipe.

I also perform some network security work and forensic investigations for corporate customers that need it and a few area defense attorneys. This portion of my business is growing quickly and fills in any gaps of idle time I have left. Well that and BF2 :oops:

The datacenter is actually the inner area of a 6 story building that my primary customer leases an entire floor of. So a lot of my work goes on within a few hundred feet of the DC. As it works out it is as though me and my staff are employees of the oil company, we have full access to there area and even are welcomed into their breakroom and share their phone system. It is a very unusual arrangement but I think it works perfectly for both parties. Only a great deal of trust and integrity make it possible. For the last few years I have been very blessed. :!:
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

baron calamity wrote:
Same here. Same here...
Ditto
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Does the oil company know that us OO folks are lurking on one of your servers?

:P
Rip

Post by Rip »

Exodor wrote:Does the oil company know that us OO folks are lurking on one of your servers?

:P
Definately. That is the reason I buy the internet and resell some to them. We were careful to insure that they would be protected from liability for anything OO or my other customers my place on my servers. All of the hosting stuff goes to the DMZ only and not the inside interface and everything is segmented on the switches using VLANs.
Byrns

Post by Byrns »

I recogonize your UPS as a similar model to the one we had to replace last year. That was not fun... Damn you Best Power!!! (BTW check your batteries :) )
Rip

Post by Rip »

Byrns wrote:I recogonize your UPS as a similar model to the one we had to replace last year. That was not fun... Damn you Best Power!!! (BTW check your batteries :) )
They had just went bad last week. In the process of looking for more.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Wow...So...What I'm writing right now is sitting inside one of those pictures? way cool. :)

Anyway, looks impressive as hell, but I have not a frickin' clue what ANY of that shit is.

The limit of my computer knowledge was in the favorite keyboard thread I just posted in.

Anyway, I appreciate your efforts in making a home for us.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd