58%
XBox
21%

Total votes: 53

Eel Snave

Match Me With A Console.

Post by Eel Snave »

Here's the thing.

I want a next-gen console (or Current-Gen, whatever), but I don't know which one! Here's what I like:

RPGs
Character Action Games (Mario, Ratchet & Clank)
Metroid
Soul Calibur
Mega Man (LOTS OF MEGA MAN)
No First-Person Shooters I hate them on consoles.
Mindless Fun

I have a friend who's pushing me to the Gamecube, but that's not really my style, I don't think. I mean, I like Super Smash Bros. Melee, but I've played the crap out of it at my friends house. I don't like Zelda stuff. I mean, I kind of like it, but, you know. I loved Tomb Raider (the original), and I like hack-and-slash Diablo-esque games.

Which should I pick?
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

With those types of games, I would say a PS2.
JCC

Re: Match Me With A Console.

Post by JCC »

Sorry for quoting "old style", but I'm too lazy to do it properly! :)

> RPGs

PS2 is the best bet here. The gamecube did have some nice RPG releases this year, but PS2 has a ton of RPGs, so it has a clear advantage. Of course, I am talking "console" RPGs. If you want PC style RPGs, you go for the X-Box, but there aren't exactly a lot of them, and KOTOR (pretty much universally regarded as the best X-Box RPG) can be played on the PC.

> Character Action Games (Mario, Ratchet & Clank)

Well, for Mario, you go with Gamecube, for Ratchet & Clank you go with PS2.

> Metroid

Gamecube is your only option here.

> Soul Calibur

This AFAIK is the only multi-platformer that I know of that has sold the best on the cube. This is completely due to the GC version having Link as a playable character. However, since you said you don't like Zelda, this shouldn't really be a factor for you. All 3 systems have this game.

> Mega Man (LOTS OF MEGA MAN)

PS2 or Gamecube here.

> No First-Person Shooters I hate them on consoles.

Well, that's one of the X-Box's strengths (Halo).

> Mindless Fun

All of the above really.

> Hack and Slash RPGs

PS2 or X-Box has the most options. The cube offerings are available on the other two systems.

From the criteria above, I would say you're really choosing between PS2 or Gamecube. The gamecube is cheaper and a bit more powerful graphically (though the X-Box is the most powerful machine of the 3). The PS2 can play DVDs and uses DVD technology, so the discs hold a little more. This means that some GC games have 2 discs and require disc swapping. (Rarely.)

Honestly, the best way to pick between them is to examine the exclusives that each has and figure out which system has the ones you really want to play and which one has the most exclusives you want to play.

Have fun with your choice! I am sure you'll have fun with whatever console you choose! :)
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

For mindless fun, the PS2 cannot be beat.
For RPGs, its the same deal.
Mega Man Collection came out on PS2.
The platformers on PS2 can't be beat.
I say PS2!
The graphics aren't as good, but they are pretty. If you care about graphics more than anything, then don't get a PS2. For fun, however, the PS2 is great.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

PS2 seems to be winning in a landslide! I almost feel like voting for one of the other consoles just so they can get on the scoreboard.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Now, is there anything vaguely comparable to Metroid on PS2? Or is there enough that I won't miss it?
Downwards Compatible
JayG

Post by JayG »

Has to be a PS2. I sometimes regret not getting one myself. Most of the XBox's best games are available on PC as well, but the PS2 has an amazing selection of exclusive RPGs. Whenever a new RPG is mentioned here, It's usually a PS2 game. I'd also suggest a Gamecube, but you said it's not your thing.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Well, it's not that Gamecubes aren't my thing, but it just seems empty. I have an N64 and I have about 10 games for it, and that's all there is to get for it, or all I want for it. I don't want that to happen to another system that I purchase. I want a damn library.
Downwards Compatible
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

are you talking about old side-scroller Metroid or new FPS Metroid? cuz you did say you can't stand playing FPS games on a console...
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I don't mind Metroid Prime, but I prefer side-scrollers. I understand there are Castlevania games for the PS1, right?
Downwards Compatible
quantum

Post by quantum »

Eel Snave wrote:Now, is there anything vaguely comparable to Metroid on PS2? Or is there enough that I won't miss it?
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a ps1 game that can be played on the ps2. It's very Metroid-like.
obb

Post by obb »

>RPGs
>Character Action Games (Mario, Ratchet & Clank)
>No First-Person Shooters I hate them on consoles.
>Mindless Fun

Hmm... the doctor prescribes:

G! - Grand Theft Auto! You gotta make a mark and move where you ought to,

T! - Theft, determination, to steal what you can and run from the nation,

A - Hey what d'ya say, We automate the sequence and speed for my getaway, Take it to the edge, there's nowhere to hide, and call up the boys; Let's go for a joyride

In short PS2. And yah, SOTN is a great PS game, fun for a Metroid fan.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

If you don't have a playstation or any modern console, and you like character-driven platformers, the PS2 seems like the best choice. There's a huge library of games, plus all the PS1 games. Ratchet and Clank, Jax and Dexter, Sly Cooper, etc. are all available as greatest hits games. Find the right sale and you could walk home with Soul Caliber 2, a couple of RPGs and three or four of the best platformers in recent years for $100.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

And I don't really like GTA, but that's cool. It seems there's more than that on the PS2.

Thanks, everyone. Now I have to convince my wife... :shock:
Downwards Compatible
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

While the PS2 is a good option, I have to say that the Gamecube seems like a good option for you. Its games are fewer, but it is prettier, adn has more character style games. If you like sports games though, go PS2 ovr gamecube. Xbox doesnt really seem to fit you at all. Not even in the slightest, so that settles that one. So, I say gamecube just becasue the characters are better, but if RPGs are bigger for you, then PS2. That is if you want console RPGs. PC RPGs are slim on the GCN and PS2, and fairly slim on the xbox as well.
Break

Post by Break »

For what you've posted, I'd have to recommend the PS2.

It's got more of what you are looking for, the platformers, like ratchet and clank, and so on.

I own both the gamecube and the ps2. THE reason I bought a gamecube is Zelda. I've had a load of fun with their rpgs too, Tales and Baten Kaitos, and I love their party type games, mario ware, mario party, and their crazy mario sports games, golf, tennis and kart. But Zelda is why I'm still waiting.

I'm also a huge mega man fan...so the place for that is really the ps2. The GC got the collection too, but still, the ps2 got it first.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

And I really want to play a lot of those older console RPGs, like Chrono Cross, and I haven't even delved into Final Fantasy VII yet.

Plus, Zelda doesn't really interest me anymore. I'm not ashamed to say it. I do not like Zelda. There. I said it.
Downwards Compatible
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

PS2 is your machine, hands down.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I agree with the rest. PS2 for you.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

So, what did you get? Anything yet?
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I'm holding off for a while. I don't know when I'm going to get it. I have an N64, and I'm still playing that, so I'm going to sell that eventually and get a PS2. So who knows when.
Downwards Compatible
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

What?! All this for nothing?
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Whaddya mean for nothing? I'm getting one eventually. In fact, if you want to buy an N64 + 13 games, I'll buy one even sooner... :twisted:
Downwards Compatible