Mr. Fed, you bastard

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jug handles are what you use to get on expressways in a mixing bowl.

Edit:

At least that is what we have always called them. It is how you stay going right while east to head north to enter or exit and expressway. It must be nice to make an illustration and post it quickly. :) ususally there is a lane to turn left at after the normal intersection and this keeps traffic from getting congested over the left hand turn. The other thing to remember about the convenience is that there is usually a light at the left lane that is timed not to break the flow of traffic and that a left on red is permitted after stop for what is technically a one way street. (any divided highway is technically two one way streets)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Ah, I see. A MI-left sees you proceed through the intersection, then turn left, drift across lanes then make a right.

A jughandle-left sees you turn right prior to the intersection, then wrap around and merge with the left-facing traffic (from your original perspective) on the cross-street prior to the intersection.

Yeah, those are totally different. The MI-left is for (divided) surface roads, while the jughandle seems to be a freeway-construct.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A Boston left, of course, is implemented from any lane, at any time, and (this is the important part) without signalling. It frequently leads to a U-turn.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hence, why I hate driving in Boston more than anywhere else I have been in the union.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

LordMortis wrote:Hence, why I hate driving in Boston more than anywhere else I have been in the union.
The wierd thing about Boston drivers, is that there is little if any road rage. It's only the out of towners who flip out.

It's like everybody expects you do drive like an asshole, so they don't get pissed when you cut them off or whatever. It's like they're thinking "Well played with that aggressive merge; perhaps next time we meet I will accelerate fast enough to deny you entry."

However, this attitude does not translate well to other locales... so I have to unlearn it when I go to visit the 'rents, as it would likely get me shot in dowtown Baltimore.

I do have compasion for anyone who has to navigate Boston streets. If the streets are arranged in a grid shape in any part of the city, it is purely by chance. I guess that is what happens when you turn cow paths into major arteries.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

However, this attitude does not translate well to other locales...
Concurred. If I have to have veins throbbing out of my head and to worry about having an anuerism while driving in Boston, the least you Beans could do is not drive like that when you leave your laneless, signaless, traffic lights are optional, if I can wedge me car in there I should driving area.