The Ricky Williams Saga Continues

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Preacher
Forum Moderator

The Ricky Williams Saga Continues

Post by The Preacher »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... s_williams
"Ricky indicated to me that he is no longer interested in resuming his career at this time," Williams' lawyer, David Cornwell, said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press on Thursday.
I wish the NFL would quit tolerating his shit.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

They'll stop taking his shit...as soon as his knees give out.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Steron

Post by Steron »

So sad. Williams was a good back bordering on great. He screwed the 'Fins pretty bad retiring so suddenly and leaving them with no RB option.

The NFL offered him a good deal, which his lawyer busted his ass to get for him. Reinstate and serve the 4-game suspension this year.

He will owe Miami and/or New Orleans (who paid part of his signing bonus)8 million dollars. He would not have to pay that back if he played one more year. He's a dumbass.

Barry Sanders had to pay a portion of his bonus to Detroit when he did the same thing that Williams is doing. Williams will also be paying his back. I don't think he'll get out of it. At least I hope he doesn't.

Again, IMO, what a dumbass. But hey, it's his body and mind (and money) if his heart isn't in it, he shouldn't play.
"There's always next year" The mantra of a KC Chiefs Fan.
yossar

Re: The Ricky Williams Saga Continues

Post by yossar »

The Preacher wrote:I wish the NFL would quit tolerating his shit.
What's that supposed to mean? Ricky Williams apparently has no desire to play anymore. He's not the one making deals to try and get him back in the league. NFL management and Ricky's agents would love to have him playing in the NFL again.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

Why bother? They should just let it be once they get the money from him. All this ancillary stuff is getting irritating.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
flycatcher

Post by flycatcher »

He is studying to be a holistic doctor now!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

flycatcher wrote:He is studying to be a holistic doctor now!
I bet he prescribes a lot of "medical" marijuana..... :wink:
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

He's studying in California, so yeah. :)
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

yossar wrote:
What's that supposed to mean? Ricky Williams apparently has no desire to play anymore. He's not the one making deals to try and get him back in the league. NFL management and Ricky's agents would love to have him playing in the NFL again.
Frankly, I don't believe that the agents and lawyers would be acting without Ricky's consent.

Is it merely a coincidence that this process started after Ricky was told to repay the Dolphins?
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

?

not sure i understand your point preacher.

seems to me the NFL wanted to force the repay for the sole fact of forcing Ricky into a position where they could then make this awesome "deal" wherein they will let him off the hook...IF he aggrees to play again and serves a suspension.

the viewpoint can be shifted in either direction. without any inside facts it's all suposition.

but i dont get the impression ricky is the one dragging this out. Miami and the NFL are.

All ricky did was say "i quit".
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

oh nevermind. i see you meant that you dont like the concept of ricky being offered any plea deal.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kraegor wrote:All ricky did was say "i quit".
?? No.

Ricky said "I quit". So the Dolphins said "Then give us the f#*@ing $8M you owe us". Then Ricky's agent said "We are working with the NFL to get Ricky reinstated". His agent got a deal. Then Ricky said "I still quit".

F Ricky. This mess is his making.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

And plus, Ricky didn't just say "I quit." He said "I quit without any warning because I want to smoke pot instead of play." That's the problem. All the talent, and he just wants to waste it. I would KILL to play football, and I can't. He has it, and he doesn't want it and would prefer to destroy it.

I hate Ricky Williams.
Downwards Compatible
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

prolly got 20 million in the bank...i'd rather sit on my ass and smoke pot too :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Mayhap he should give Barry a call. Barry finally more or less admitted that he more or less regretted quitting football. Even behind all of the plays for money is inevitably a love for playing that you let go. The money is so obscene, that to let that love go because obscene is not obscene enough and you have a differences of opinion with management is a pretty big ugly decision that could leave you with mucho regret later.
yossar

Post by yossar »

The Preacher wrote:
yossar wrote:
Frankly, I don't believe that the agents and lawyers would be acting without Ricky's consent.

Is it merely a coincidence that this process started after Ricky was told to repay the Dolphins?
So you think that Ricky Williams told his agent to negotiate and then turned down the offer because it wasn't good enough?

I just assumed the agent went and got a deal without Ricky's consent, hoping that he could persuade Williams to play again when he saw the offer. And unfortunately for the agent, Ricky still doesn't want to play.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

yossar wrote:So you think that Ricky Williams told his agent to negotiate and then turned down the offer because it wasn't good enough?

I just assumed the agent went and got a deal without Ricky's consent, hoping that he could persuade Williams to play again when he saw the offer. And unfortunately for the agent, Ricky still doesn't want to play.
I would think that professional ethics (agent jokes aside) dictate that an agent and a lawyer would not and could not engage in good faith negotiations in their client's name without the consent of their client.

I'm sure one of the Fedster's personalities could tell me if I'm off my rocker on this one.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Eel Snave wrote:And plus, Ricky didn't just say "I quit." He said "I quit without any warning because I want to smoke pot instead of play." That's the problem. All the talent, and he just wants to waste it. I would KILL to play football, and I can't. He has it, and he doesn't want it and would prefer to destroy it.

I hate Ricky Williams.
WEll at least be honest. You hate the fact that you arent good enough to play football for a living, and you're merely jealous of the fact that Williams 1) is and 2) chooses not to.

No doubt he couldve handled the situation better, but seriouisly, it's FOOTBALL. Not life or death, and really who gives a shit if he wants to smoke pot, be a holistic doctor, or ride bare back ponies the rest of his life?

Theres about 100 or so odd people to whom Williams' decision really matters; the 53 players on Miami's roster, and the other ppl in the DOlphin's organization. Everyone else needs to take a step back, take a hit, err deep breath, and relax.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

The Preacher wrote:I would think that professional ethics (agent jokes aside) dictate that an agent and a lawyer would not and could not engage in good faith negotiations in their client's name without the consent of their client.

I'm sure one of the Fedster's personalities could tell me if I'm off my rocker on this one.
1) I got a threshold, Muad Dib. I got a threshold for that gag. And right now I'm a race car and you got me in the red. I'm just saying that it's dangerous to have a racecar in the fucking red. It could blow.

2) It would be unethical for an agent or attorney to negotiate or to make firm commitments on the client's behalf without consent. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, given the money involved. Soliciting an offer without authority might not be unethical. It might, however, be dangerous to the agent's future ability to negotiate with the team or managers in question. The NFL is a small neighborhood.

I understand Williams is now represented by professional agents and attorneys. If he was still represented by Master P I'd say that's exactly what happened.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

GungHo wrote:
Eel Snave wrote:And plus, Ricky didn't just say "I quit." He said "I quit without any warning because I want to smoke pot instead of play." That's the problem. All the talent, and he just wants to waste it. I would KILL to play football, and I can't. He has it, and he doesn't want it and would prefer to destroy it.

I hate Ricky Williams.
WEll at least be honest. You hate the fact that you arent good enough to play football for a living, and you're merely jealous of the fact that Williams 1) is and 2) chooses not to.

No doubt he couldve handled the situation better, but seriouisly, it's FOOTBALL. Not life or death, and really who gives a shit if he wants to smoke pot, be a holistic doctor, or ride bare back ponies the rest of his life?

Theres about 100 or so odd people to whom Williams' decision really matters; the 53 players on Miami's roster, and the other ppl in the DOlphin's organization. Everyone else needs to take a step back, take a hit, err deep breath, and relax.
That's not the point. Of course it's just football. Of course it doesn't matter directly to me. What I'm saying is that it frustrates me to see people who are talented screw themselves over. He had the love to play football before. What happened?
Downwards Compatible
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Tareeq wrote:
The Preacher wrote:I would think that professional ethics (agent jokes aside) dictate that an agent and a lawyer would not and could not engage in good faith negotiations in their client's name without the consent of their client.

1) I got a threshold, Muad Dib. I got a threshold for that gag. And right now I'm a race car and you got me in the red. I'm just saying that it's dangerous to have a racecar in the fucking red. It could blow.
Well, I'm a mushroom cloud-laying motherfucker, motherfucker. Every time my fingers touch brain, I'm Superfly TNT. I'm "The Guns of the Navarone."
2) It would be unethical for an agent or attorney to negotiate or to make firm commitments on the client's behalf without consent. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, given the money involved. Soliciting an offer without authority might not be unethical. It might, however, be dangerous to the agent's future ability to negotiate with the team or managers in question. The NFL is a small neighborhood.

I understand Williams is now represented by professional agents and attorneys. If he was still represented by Master P I'd say that's exactly what happened.
At least the legal profession adheres to a code of ethics that, in this case, agrees with my common sense test. That's something you guys got going for you.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Eel Snave wrote:
That's not the point. Of course it's just football. Of course it doesn't matter directly to me. What I'm saying is that it frustrates me to see people who are talented screw themselves over. He had the love to play football before. What happened?
Simple. It became a job.

The longer version is that in college, he was a god. Arguably the best college RB ever. But he could retreat into college life and get away from the cameras; Mack Brown and UT both protected Ricky like he was their lifeline(which of course he was), and when the media attention got all hot and heavy, somebody stepped up and said 'Enough. Leave him alone.'

In the pros you dont get that. You dont talk to the media, you get fined. And not just by the NFL, but also by your team. To Ricky that feels like a stab in the back. Not to mention that, while he was good in the NFL, he wasnt what he was in college and Im guessing that bothered him.

And one other thing: he loved, loved Austin. Loved the laid-back feeling, the liberal vibe, and the fact that, despite UT's presence, he could still retreat to a smoky bar where nobody knew him from Adam. No way he could do that in star-starved New Orleans, or in LA-wanna-be Miami.

From everything Ive heard he's talked about being a variety of things in his post-football career. From FBI agent, to middle school football coach, to teacher, and now holistic doctor(whatever the hell that is). He's just a guy who likes to help other ppl, but needs to feel loved in return. Doesnt exactly describe your average NFL meathead.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Yeah, that's great. Follow your dreams and stuff. I don't quit my job at the hotel just before the Christmas season just because another job opens up. If I do that, people should rightfully be upset at me. I screwed them over. I made a dumb mistake. Understandably, you could be upset. If dude wants to do something else with his life, fine. But take care of your prior obligations before you do something else. Finish out your contract.
Downwards Compatible
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

I understand the contractual arguments. But Ricky was publicily and obviously dealing with a lot of depression due to the NFL system. Like GungHo posted, he's just not a public person. Sure he could've and should've handled the situation better. But the bottom line came down to a serious mental health issue. If he was forced to stay around I'm sure his unhappiness would've started showing in his performace. I'm not trying to tell people that they shouldn't be upset, but I do wish Ricky luck in finding happiness and the privacy he wants.

A lot of us think we would want fame, attention and the adoration of a nation or the world. But when it comes down to it there's a lot of pressure and responsibility that goes along with it. Especially when you have national sports writers and shows in addition to every armchair quarterback analyzing and criticizing everything about you.