Request for legal advice (urgent)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Tareeq

Request for legal advice (urgent)

Post by Tareeq »

By the time you read this, I may be on my way to prison -- sent there by an irresponsible attorney.

I've been accused of a crime. Falsely I should add. It's a white collar offense, lest any of you think I'm a deviant or a thug. I can prove my innocence, and look forward to doing so, given the chance.

But I may not get that chance. After a long nightmare of slander, accusation, discovery, and legal fees which may leave me bankrupt, my trial is about to begin. Because the charges against me are complex and involve numerous witnesses, it will last weeks.

Today I heard that one of the attorneys I've hired to assist me wants to back out of my defense. He claims that his wife made plans to attend some family gathering at a ski resort in Canada. At Christmas. In the middle of my trial. He says he needs to spend time with his family, drinking brandy and roasting chestnuts over a hot fire. The lawyer says that he needs the time to get away from his problems, and assures me that this vacation will strengthen his marriage.

Now he isn't my primary defense attorney. He's a junior partner at a large firm. But his role in my defense is crucial. He's needed to cross-examine some of the peripheral prosecution witnesses, and to assist with evidentiary motions. This is critical. My case presents complex legal issues due to the number of witnesses who will be called, and it is absolutely imperative to my defense that the judge rule correctly. I know that the government will try to present witnesses whose testimony is false, fraudulent, or incompetent. They will railroad me if my attorneys can't get this false evidence excluded. I was counting on the junior partner to handle these motions, because he has a sharp mind, and my case is so complex that one lawyer simply cannot handle my defense.

I had a talk with my defense team today. They tell me that I should consider a plea agreement, because the absence of one of my attorneys means that the goverment will likely prevail. They have assigned three prosecutors to the case, as well as numerous government investigators and agents. We were already outmanned, but I was counting on my attorneys' sharper minds to carry the day.

If I accept a plea, I may be able to rebuild my life, to see my family, in five to ten years. If I am found guilty after a trial, I may be sentenced to decades in prison.

Yet I am innocent. Every bone in my body tells me not to plead guilty to crimes I did not commit.

What should I do?
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

See movie Cape Fear, learn from it and act on what you learned. Repeat as necessary.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Just suck it up man. Blows that you are innocent, but your attorney has to think long term. I mean, in 20 years he won't remember that he rescued you from prison, but he will remember that Canadian vacation he missed out on. Think of what he is going through, you selfish bastard ....
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Talk to Mr. Fed. I hear he'll be working through the holidays.

Oh, wait...
Black Lives Matter
KingB

Post by KingB »

Holy crap! This sucks man. I have no advice but I most definately wish you the best.

P.S. Can you tell us what you are being accused of? :?
Currently thinking of something clever.........
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

I think it's time to consider Lithium. That should help quiet the voices... though I wonder which personality would be dominant.

I think Mr. Fed likes to be on top.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

:P :P :P :P

You had me worried for the first three paragraphs. Nicely done.

I guess that not everyone has read the other thread.. :D
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Hrdina wrote::P :P :P :P

Ya know, there is no fun in making it easy for people ..... :P
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
WAW

Post by WAW »

Look at the bright side there's alot of sex in prison. And new guys are very popular. :shock:
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The world sucks, don't it? We've got innocent people in prison, good people die in car accidents. Babies are born with brain tumors. WTF else is new.

We had about 3,000 innocent people die on September 11, and their fate was a hell of a lot worse than having to sit around in their underwear.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I heard that the lawyer is actually blowing off your case to play some online computer game where you make baskets or some other arts and craft sort of thing...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gellar

Post by gellar »

Wait... so check it for a second.

If Mr. Fed = Tareeq, that means Mr. Fed is defending himself in this trial and thus, it's likely going on IN HIS OWN MIND.

Psycho.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
KingB

Post by KingB »

I am so confused at the moment. :? Not like thats abnormal or anything.
Currently thinking of something clever.........

Post by Default »

$iljanus wrote:I heard that the lawyer is actually blowing off your case to play some online computer game where you make baskets or some other arts and craft sort of thing...

Huh. I thought he was making money as a virtual transvestite lapdancer in that one.....

Just remember, do whatever you have to get by in prison.

Seeya in 20 years, Suzy :shock:
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I am overcome -- with laughter at the OP and Meal's snark, with a warm feeling of inclusion that people care enough to ridicule me and my family's pain, with pride that anyone would think I could be an alt of the estimable T-man, and with indigestion from some regrettable chili I had for lunch.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Mr. Fed wrote:I am overcome -- with laughter at the OP and Meal's snark, with a warm feeling of inclusion that people care enough to ridicule me and my family's pain, with pride that anyone would think I could be an alt of the estimable T-man, and with indigestion from some regrettable chili I had for lunch.
I didn't need to know about the pride. Really. That's just too much hubris.
Eightball

Re: Request for legal advice (urgent)

Post by Eightball »

Mr. Fed wrote:You know, minimum security prison is no picnic. I had a client in there once. He said the trick is kick someone's ass the first day, or become somebody's bitch. Then everything will be alright.
Tareeq wrote:But I don't want to federal pound me in the ass prison!
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

I'm trying to figure out why the hell you'd hire a male attorney who wears lipstick. :?
Spock's Brain

Post by Spock's Brain »

Somebody please archive this thread (and all of the alternate personalities). We have an OO classic to rival the GG™ood Old Days. :)
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

You need to put smilies at the end of jokes. How else will be know whats a joke and what isnt? :o
I <3 :ninja:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kadoth Nodens

Re: Request for legal advice (urgent)

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Tareeq wrote: I've been accused of a crime. Falsely I should add. It's a white collar offense, lest any of you think I'm a deviant or a thug.
Stealing panties is a white collar crime now?
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

You guys are mean. For once I thought that someone exciting was actually happening, like when Kelric got "banned." Actually, that pissed me off, so forget that.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Eel Snave wrote:You guys are mean. For once I thought that someone exciting was actually happening, like when Kelric got "banned." Actually, that pissed me off, so forget that.
Heh :P
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
tgb

Post by tgb »

WAW wrote:Look at the bright side there's alot of sex in prison. And new guys are very popular. :shock:
Don't forget three hots and a cot.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Tell Mr Fed, I mean, your second chair to suck it up and take it like a man.
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Dang Tareeq, I thought this as real. I'm glad it's not...
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

GuidoTKP wrote:
Hrdina wrote::P :P :P :P

Ya know, there is no fun in making it easy for people ..... :P
Yeah, I thought of that after I hit 'submit'. My original response was just :P with no text, but that might have led others to think me callous without some explanation!