I am the Grinch

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pointer

I am the Grinch

Post by Pointer »

Hi guys!

So I am not really feeling the christmas spirit at all. I work in retail and for the past two months (I kid you not) we have been selling christmas decorations and gifts. For the past month I have been forced to listen to christmas tunes playing. For the past two weeks I have had to put up with hordes of people in store with tons of work to do and no room to do it (to be fair I love the store being busy as it means more money in the tills which means a nice big bonus for me in May).

On top of christmas overload my fiancee and I are broke and not doing the whole gift thing this year except with my immediate family who are fantastic and who we are spending christmas with and with her little niece and nephew who are too cute not to buy stuff for.

On top of that I am just feeling a bit crap recently. Maybe it is S.A.D or whatever the heck they call it.

So I am feeling a bit down in the dumps and really want to treat my fiancee to a few gifts. I will pick up a few things from work relatively cheap but would love to hear if you guys have any great (CHEAP) gift ideas. Could be homemade, could be anything at all really to put a smile on her face.

Pointer
none

Post by none »

do you play any musical instruments? a recording of yourself playing and singing a variety of songs is always a great cheap gift.

how about making a donation to Heifer International on her behalf? i donated a half dozen rabbits to a family in zimbabwe last christmas on behalf of my girlfriend and it felt great and was much appreciated.

how about cooking? any good at cooking? a nice meal followed by the presentation of the above two gifts sounds like it might be a good idea.

good luck to you. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I usually get into the Xmas mood around mid-January, when we now get the sort of snow that we had by mid-November when I was a kid.

Then again, I do absolutely nothing to subject myself to Xmasy influences. None of my friends have Xmas parties any more. I refuse to deal with shopping malls - all of my gifts are purchased online. I do not have an Xmas tree, menorah, or Festivus pole. I think we have some sort of Xmas lunch at work coming up - for that I'll drag out a red flannel shirt and Xmastree tie for the day - that is the absolute limit to my holiday merriment.

Maybe I'll bring some Xmas ale to Zax' place for his LOTR shindig.

As far as cheap gifts go, I'd occasionally make my last girlfriend a batch of chocolate chip cookies and send them to her at work via messenger service. Her coworkers thought she had the best boyfriend in the world. She IM'd me a few weeks ago and asked when I was going to make cookies again. I haven't even seen her since her wedding about 8 years ago (and haven't made cookies since becoming diabetic 4 years ago).
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Find yourself a small Xmas tree or bush from along the road somewhere,like only a foot or two tall and decorate it with popcorn stringed together and tinfoil.Add some other things that look Xmasy too.
That was my wife's first Xmas tree when she got married the first time.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My first Xmas tree after leaving home was this little foot high mechanical one that had little tiny light and decorations on it. It made me feel Xmasy.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949