Just received the weirdest letter...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Just received the weirdest letter...

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's from Orange County Dept of Child Support Services.

They are insisting we get ready to garnish wages on a Mr. [Name Withheld], as well as provide wage history.

The problem is... We have NEVER HEARD OF THIS GUY. As those of you who know me, the business is in San Francisco... NORTHERN California. Orange County is in Southern California.

Weird, heh?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Do you have anyone with a similar name? Anyone with the same or similar SSN? They misidentify people all the time.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Have fun with it. Provide a 10 year wage history showing the person made $0.00. Then enclose a check for $0.00.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Mr. Fed wrote:Do you have anyone with a similar name? Anyone with the same or similar SSN? They misidentify people all the time.
Similar name: Not even CLOSE. Name's Hispanic. We've never hired any Hispanics (yet).

Similar SSN: don't think so. But then I don't keep SSN's of employees around for reference. :D

On the other hand, isn't there a rumor that your SSN' reflects which state or county you got the card from? Like if your SSN starts with ___ you must be from state of ______?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Re: Just received the weirdest letter...

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:It's from Orange County Dept of Child Support Services.

They are insisting we get ready to garnish wages on a Mr. [Name Withheld], as well as provide wage history.

The problem is... We have NEVER HEARD OF THIS GUY. As those of you who know me, the business is in San Francisco... NORTHERN California. Orange County is in Southern California.

Weird, heh?
It doesn't matter where your business is. Support orders come from the county in which the child's parent/guardian lives. Support is handled through the county courts.

Therefore, somebody whose wife and child live in Orange County told the court that he works for you. That's all. Just write them back (or call them) and tell them that the name given has nothing to do with your company. They will then go after the guy through other means.
On the other hand, isn't there a rumor that your SSN' reflects which state or county you got the card from? Like if your SSN starts with ___ you must be from state of ______?
That isn't a rumor. It is, specifically, the state that you were born in. Each state is assigned a range of SSN prefixes. I am a 556-XX-XXXX, for instance. The 556 means that I was born in California. Many cops carry a cheat sheet in their pocket that lists them all. When they look at your license and ask you where you were born, they are checking the SSN to see if the license might be stolen. Most people with fake licenses memorize the SSN, but not what it means. Give them the wrong answer, and they can be pretty sure it is a fake.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

No, write them a letter saying "WE DON'T HIRE HISPANICS!" and then wait for another fun letter from the government. :)
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Blackhawk wrote:
That isn't a rumor. It is, specifically, the state that you were born in. Each state is assigned a range of SSN prefixes. I am a 556-XX-XXXX, for instance. The 556 means that I was born in California. Many cops carry a cheat sheet in their pocket that lists them all. When they look at your license and ask you where you were born, they are checking the SSN to see if the license might be stolen. Most people with fake licenses memorize the SSN, but not what it means. Give them the wrong answer, and they can be pretty sure it is a fake.
Awesome, thanks. I probably won't have to use that ever, but just in case.
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

Similar name: Not even CLOSE. Name's Hispanic. We've never hired any Hispanics (yet).

So the next letter you will be getting will be an EEOC notification?
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

Fishy wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Awesome, thanks. I probably won't have to use that ever, but just in case.
Nowadays its the state you're born in, but it used to be that you didn't get your SSN until you were 10 years old or so -- so mine is 231 (VA), though I was born in Guam... yay for Navy brats!
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Weird, heh?
Sadly no. They screw up all the time. Have fun dealing with a corrupt and greedy bureacracy.

http://www.reason.com/0402/fe.mw.injustice.shtml
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ranulf wrote:

Weird, heh?
Sadly no. They screw up all the time. Have fun dealing with a corrupt and greedy bureacracy.

http://www.reason.com/0402/fe.mw.injustice.shtml
Thanks for the article Ranulf. Just another example how out of control things have gotten with the "justice" system.

Well at least the children can grow up well fed and clothed(cause we know the mothers would never ever pocket that cash) and possibly be screwed over when they get old enough. ;)