Does Best Buy price match CompUSA?

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Scooby Doo

Does Best Buy price match CompUSA?

Post by Scooby Doo »

WoW is on sale at CompUSA this week ($40). However, by the time I got there this afternoon, they were sold out. I have a number of Best Buy stores nearby (only one CompUSA, the above mentioned one, nearby), so I was wondering if Best Buy does a price match of CompUSA (if you bring the ad in).
I can and will ask at the store, but since sometimes their employees may not even themselves no for sure, I thought I would ask you guys first, in case anyone here has the answer.
Thanks in advance.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I've brought a CompUSA ad into BB and had them match it, but your mileage may vary. There's a chance they may call the CompUSA to confirm they have stock before they pricematch, but I've never had that happen to me. I'd just go through the regular line and pricematch there at the register--your chances of them calling to confirm stock are probably greater if you try to pricematch at customer service.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Scooby Doo

Post by Scooby Doo »

Thanks, Freezer!
Scooby Doo

Post by Scooby Doo »

Yup. Went through the regular checkout line and got the pricematch no problem. No phone call to CompUSA (to check for availability). Just brought the ad in with me and had no problems. Yay, Best Buy.

Dissapointed in CompUSA, though. Yesterday was first day of the sale, I was there by 5 PM and they were already sold out. I hadn't thought about doing an 11 AM store opening run, figuring I would be safe in getting a copy (actually my second copy, this one for my daughter, as I picked up my copy on release day). Since Blizzard sold 200,000 plus on release day, figured all the hard core gamers already had it, so a $10 price savings at CompUSA wouldn't create a stampede.

At the CompUSA shelf above the sales label they had spacing for 1, only 1, row of boxes (empty, of course), which would fit maybe 6-8 copies.

Today at the nearest Best Buy, they had a 4-sided standup cardboard cutout display which had to have been holding 40+ copies.

How is it that CompUSA (and I checked online this morning to verify) was sold out but at one local store (4 total in the Twin Cities). Nearest, and only one, with a copy in stock (internet said availability was "minimal") was a 30+ minute drive (the Twin Cities is a sprawling metro area).

My vent. If they are to do a sale, please have more than a small quantity on hand to at least make it through the first afternoon of the sale.

Done with my vent.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

You live in the Twin Cities Scooby Doo?
While I refuse to shop at CompUseless, I do shop at Worst Buy. I usually go to the bigger BB at Lyndale and 494, but they are often out of whatever I'm looking for. The little, hard-to-get-to BB near Southdale (66th and Xerxes?) usually has stuff in stock. I'm giving up going to the Lyndale and 494 store - I'll just stick with the little one from now on.

I mention this in case you go to BB and what you're looking for is out of stock.
Scooby Doo

Post by Scooby Doo »

Hey, Bad, thanks for the advice. The irony is I actually was able to score my copy of WoW, with price match, at the Lyndale Avenue store. I usually try to avoid that store since I 494 is a big pain most any time of the day (with maybe the exception of 10 AM - 2 PM). For those outside the Twin Cities, I 494 is a classic bottleneck roadway.
I don't think I've ever been to the Best Buy near Southdale, but thanks for the tip (as I did have a problem with store stocking at Best Buy when EQ2 first came out).
I usually shop at the Apple Valley and Burnsville stores. I can't say that Best Buy is without fault. I have my frustrations with them, also, but geez, CompUSA has really taken a turn for the worse (at least the France Avenue store).
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Scooby Doo wrote: Yesterday was first day of the sale, I was there by 5 PM and they were already sold out.
Whoo, went all out and really got there early I see . . .

Grifman
Scooby Doo

Post by Scooby Doo »

Grifman, if you would have read the above, I had already explained my going there at 5 PM (also, that was when I was going to be driving through the area on the way to pick up my daughter from her mother's; thought I could do it all in one trip).

As stated in my earlier message:
"I hadn't thought about doing an 11 AM store opening run, figuring I would be safe in getting a copy (actually my second copy, this one for my daughter, as I picked up my copy on release day). Since Blizzard sold 200,000 plus on release day, figured all the hard core gamers already had it, so a $10 price savings at CompUSA wouldn't create a stampede.

At the CompUSA shelf above the sales label they had spacing for 1, only 1, row of boxes (empty, of course), which would fit maybe 6-8 copies.

Today at the nearest Best Buy, they had a 4-sided standup cardboard cutout display which had to have been holding 40+ copies."

-----

As stated above, I did not see any reason to believe that not doing an 11 AM rush would warrant me missing out on finding one on the shelf, but it appears they had very little in stock initially for the sale. That was my complaint.

Would be nice if you read fully before being sarcastic.